Author Topic: My Chronological Journey Through Music  (Read 886 times)

Offline Willthescout7

My Chronological Journey Through Music
« on: February 19, 2020, 06:34:14 PM »
Let me introduce myself. I don't often post here, but why not do this?

I'm 22, about to head to Seminary and the U.S. Army, and I have Autism Spectrum Disorder (what used to be called Asperger's). As a result, amongst other things, I obsess over stuff, and I obbessivly develop a need to have all of something. Hence why my CD collection is now over 100 CDs. And I haven't even collected a quarter of the ones I want. I also have a compulsive need to talk and gush about this stuff. Sadly, my family hates metal music and my fiancé has threatened to stuff a sock in my mouth if I keep blabbing. So I'm taking it here. This year I decided to go through my entire list, chronologically, 1 album a day. At this rate I'll be done on April 3rd, 2021. Since I need to talk about them, I'm going to be documenting my thoughts on each of these albums. You see, I actually haven't listened to most of them. I just bought them through my need to have everything in a set.

Essentially, I'll listen to the album and report my opinions. In addition, I'll probably weigh in with some stories about how I found the band, or a stupid factoid or story to go with it. I'm honestly not expecting anyone to read this, but at least this way I can pretend I'm talking about them to someone.

Because I was foolish I've started this halfway through February, we've missed 40 CDs, including today's (Kamelot-Eternity). That's okay, because tomorrow we can start with A Change of Seasons. Essentially you missed Rush, Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, DANIEL BAND, and Take That.

I hope you all at least somewhat enjoy my incoherent ramblings about music. At the very least you could develop a drinking game over the phrases I use. See you all tomorrow,
WilltheScout7

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: My Chronological Journey Through Music
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 08:21:24 AM »
looking forward to it. Hopefully this gives you a great outlet for your obsession (and any related anxiety that may come with it). As a father of someone with the same disorder (always felt that was a bad term, should be "differentorder") I definitely understand. My son's obsession at the moment is Rubik's Cubes.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 08:33:01 PM »
Dream Theater: A Change of Seasons EP

This is the Dream Theater CD that I don't really return to very often, and was the last one I purchased.  I enjoy it listening to it, but the songs never capture my full attention. That said, Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding is fantastic, and The Big Medley is well put together. In the end, it's Dream Theater doing their thing, and it works. But will not seek this EP out unless it comes up in rotation or on shuffle.

Tomorrow, Iron Maiden: The X Factor.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 08:35:01 PM »
looking forward to it. Hopefully this gives you a great outlet for your obsession (and any related anxiety that may come with it). As a father of someone with the same disorder (always felt that was a bad term, should be "differentorder") I definitely understand. My son's obsession at the moment is Rubik's Cubes.

Jon, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen you reference being a dad. My son is also on the spectrum, though not Aspberger's. His obsession right now is wall clocks. Got two more delivered yesterday, in fact!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 11:36:35 PM »
yep, two.  A son and daughter.  I think I remember talking about their love for the latest Amorphis album from time to time.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 05:57:36 PM »
Iron Maiden: The X Factor

I feel like this album is lacking energy. I enjoyed the songs for the most part (with the exception of Fortunes of War), but never felt carried along by them. All the pieces were there, it just never fully clicked and as a result it feels longer than it is. Honestly, I got bored of it around Look for the Truth, and just kind of waited it out. Judgement of Heaven was probably my favorite song on the album. Overall, it wasn't bad, but it never stood out. We'll see how they do on Virtual XI.

Tomorrow, Ayreon: The Final Experiment.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 06:03:09 PM »
Man, I remember getting to The X Factor when I was a kid just getting into Maiden. Dance of Death had just come out, but I was only getting up to TXF because I was listening chronologically. I cannot remember the last time I played the Blaze records. A shame because I remember Blaze having a great voice.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 06:36:50 PM »
I know a lot of people consider TXF some kind of masterpiece. To me, it certainly could've been. It feels like a demo, honestly, both in terms of arrangements and production. There are some fantastic passages, some of Maiden's best, but there's a lot of clunkiness too.

I really feel like they were onto something incredible here, but it just doesn't get there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 08:15:38 AM »
Ayreon: The Final Experiment

I always forget how much I enjoy this album. Yes, it's way to preachy (especially the middle section), but the music makes up for that. I think the singers performed admirably, and only one part felt jarring (the death growls in The Banishment). I think the beginning of the album is my favorite (Prologue through The Banishment). It just has a really nice flow and the energy doesn't let up. The middle part slows down a lot, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just isn't as interesting as the first part. Merlin's Will through the end recaptures that energy and it ends on a really solid note. Overall, not my favorite Ayreon album, but I would put it in the top tier.

Later Today, Symphony X: The Damnation Game.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 07:07:29 AM »
Symphony X: The Damnation Game

I find I don't really have much to say about this album. It was a perfectly enjoyable 45 minutes. It didn't overstay its welcome and it never grated on my nerves. It also didn't stand out in any way. While a remarked improvement on their debut, I don't feel as if they've clicked yet. The solos all sound the same, and it just sort of ends. Not a bad album, but its far from great as well.

Next, Suede Chain: Ripplemark.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 08:17:21 AM »
I know a lot of people consider TXF some kind of masterpiece. To me, it certainly could've been. It feels like a demo, honestly, both in terms of arrangements and production. There are some fantastic passages, some of Maiden's best, but there's a lot of clunkiness too.

I really feel like they were onto something incredible here, but it just doesn't get there.

That's kind of how I feel.   I actually like some of the songs on Virtual XI better, even if the band itself was moving in the opposite direction.   One wonders from that how much Bruce "standing up" to Steve really gets them to a better place.  ("Standing up" isn't the right word, but what I mean is, having a foil in the band that will generate some creative tension, other than just saying "Yes, Steve, that's great, Steve, what's next, Steve?"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 08:33:35 AM »

That's kind of how I feel.   I actually like some of the songs on Virtual XI better, even if the band itself was moving in the opposite direction.   One wonders from that how much Bruce "standing up" to Steve really gets them to a better place.  ("Standing up" isn't the right word, but what I mean is, having a foil in the band that will generate some creative tension, other than just saying "Yes, Steve, that's great, Steve, what's next, Steve?"

Totally, and when I say TXF feels like a demo, to me, I don't mean that in any way as a negative. I've always considered TXF a sort of Steve Harris solo album honestly.

I think the word you are looking for instead of standing up is "balance". This and Balls To Picasso came out about the same time, and while I was never a Bruce fan per se, it became apparent listening to these two albums just what Bruce actually meant to the band. While I still think Bruce can be a dick, I gained a whole new level of respect for him at that time.

TXF was in much need of some of that "balance", but there's still a latent brilliance there.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 09:37:00 PM »
Suede Chain: Ripplemark
Suede Chain: Piloted by Ghosts

This is perhaps the weirdest pair of CDs I have ever listened to. I've never found much information on them, but they are billed as "Art-Pop." And it sounds like it, in all the best ways. Weird rhythms, weird lyrics, it shouldn't work, but it does. And I love every bit of it. It doesn't hurt that "Ripplemark was the first CD I ever listened to with my fiancé. In fact, I got the CD when we fished it out of an abandoned hippie Bus on our first date (Said hippie Bus was at an abandoned hippie commune, and was the place I proposed to her). The Suede Chain remains our band, and one I never would have checked out if it wasn't for her.

Next, Rush: Test for Echo.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 05:04:00 PM »
Rush: Test for Echo

I really enjoyed this album. The songs kept up a nice energy, and never got boring. The Color of Right was probably my favorite, followed by Totem and Dog Years. I don't think it's on the same level as early Rush, but it isn't bad by any means. I find I really don't have much to say about it.

Next, Vanden Plas: Accult.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 06:10:25 PM »
I think T4E is my least favorite Rush album. When I first heard it I didn't think it was that bad, but going from pretty much anything else to that one... yikes.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2020, 05:40:17 AM »
Sorry for disappearing everyone. I've been sick as a dog the past week and I'm just now starting to feel any kind of better. Hopefully I can resume soon, but we'll play it by ear.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2020, 10:26:43 AM »
Liquid Tension Experiment: Liquid Tension Experiment

I enjoyed this album. Oftentimes I have a hard time with Prog instrumental albums, because I find them too "loose." This time I didn't feel that. I stayed engaged and interested throughout. I feel like Three Minute Warning could have been trimmed, but songs like Kindred Spirits and Freedom of Speech were awesome.

Next up, Symphony X: Twilight in Olympus.