Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 346660 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #4445 on: October 13, 2021, 10:17:31 AM »
Dream Theater allegedly play at ridiculous volumes live.

You probably wouldn't even notice if LaBrie is off here and there.

A lot of people say they thought a band was flawless at the show - then listen back to a recording and being shocked at how sloppy it was.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4446 on: October 13, 2021, 10:19:25 AM »
It’s funny what people care about though.   I could care less if James hits any notes live.  I’m only going to see him once a year at most anyways.  I’ll be listening to the studio albums forever. 

I would much rather James belt it out on the studio albums and make them as great as they can be. Regardless of how that impacts the live shows.

What's funny about the audience wanting to hear a solid performance? If the lead vocalist is off it's disappointing.

The want of hearing a solid performance from JLB is not going to be fulfilled. What I found odd about the past tour was his use of that distortion effect on his vocals. That's what I did not like during the live shows. He sounds amazing without it and I personally would like to not hear any vocal effects that can change his vocal tone. Especially if it's something like distortion to make him sound more "gritty". It didn't work and it came across a bit grating.

But his vocals are a hit or miss live and it depends on how he feels, how his voice is working for the day, the environment, rest, the amount of songs sung and how difficult those songs are for the anatomy in vocals.

Most vocalists do not sing as much complex songs as JLB does, and those notes are high notes too that not many vocalists would be a good fit for Dream Theater without making them sound like your generic metal vocalist tone. Such as Russel Allen and Jeff Scott Soto.

Personally, I think the only vocalist capable of doing Dream Theater well in tone and style is Mike Mills.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #4447 on: October 13, 2021, 10:20:01 AM »
It’s funny what people care about though.   I could care less if James hits any notes live.  I’m only going to see him once a year at most anyways.  I’ll be listening to the studio albums forever. 

I would much rather James belt it out on the studio albums and make them as great as they can be. Regardless of how that impacts the live shows.

What's funny about the audience wanting to hear a solid performance? If the lead vocalist is off it's disappointing.

You’re misunderstanding my comment.  Funny/interesting whatever you want to say… I’m just saying that it’s interesting to me that people would rather have the album suffer so that the live performance is better.  It’s the opposite of how I feel.  I find it “funny” that my opinion is so different in that aspect because as I mentioned before I’m going to listen to the studio album for the rest of my life.

Well ideally the album would be great and so would the live performance  ;)

JP nails his parts on the album and live essentially every show.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #4448 on: October 13, 2021, 10:32:04 AM »
Dream Theater allegedly play at ridiculous volumes live.

You probably wouldn't even notice if LaBrie is off here and there.

A lot of people say they thought a band was flawless at the show - then listen back to a recording and being shocked at how sloppy it was.

I saw them in 2019 for the first time. Yes, it was insanely loud. Yes, I thought James sounded fine.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4449 on: October 13, 2021, 10:35:02 AM »

I saw them in 2019 for the first time. Yes, it was insanely loud. Yes, I thought James sounded fine.

Quote from: Adami on 08-12-2020, 15:28:26
But Kotow is right .

:hat

• PR permission
« Reply #4450 on: October 13, 2021, 10:43:32 AM »

The want of hearing a solid performance from JLB is not going to be fulfilled. What I found odd about the past tour was his use of that distortion effect on his vocals. That's what I did not like during the live shows. He sounds amazing without it and I personally would like to not hear any vocal effects that can change his vocal tone. Especially if it's something like distortion to make him sound more "gritty". It didn't work and it came across a bit grating.

But his vocals are a hit or miss live and it depends on how he feels, how his voice is working for the day, the environment, rest, the amount of songs sung and how difficult those songs are for the anatomy in vocals.

Most vocalists do not sing as much complex songs as JLB does, and those notes are high notes too that not many vocalists would be a good fit for Dream Theater without making them sound like your generic metal vocalist tone. Such as Russel Allen and Jeff Scott Soto.

Personally, I think the only vocalist capable of doing Dream Theater well in tone and style is Mike Mills.

JLB's parts are very achievable for the average vocalist. Aside from a few high notes here and there, the vocal melodies sit in a fairly safe range. He isn't being asked to sing any acrobatic scale runs, go out bounds of a fair range (infrequent high notes aside) or sig for a taxing amount of time.

The songs are complex, but it shouldn't have much impact upon his role as the instruments are doing all of the acrobatics.

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #4451 on: October 13, 2021, 10:46:35 AM »
Rolling Stones did a massive poll on the greatest prog album of all time and SFAM won it.  This was fan voting.

I’m sure there are a ton of people who like other albums more than I&W and SFAM but those two albums are far more beloved than any other albums in their catalogue.   

It’s fine if you don’t share that opinion but it’s naive  to suggest that the Mangini albums are even in the same stratosphere of fan appreciation than those two albums.

I think Kev is simply suggesting to tone down the hyperbole as it may set people up for disappointment.  Especially when 99% of the fanbase hasn’t heard the album yet.   I think if the album was out and we all have heard it than that strong of an opinion wouldn’t hold as much weight.   Right now we are clinging to every word and if you want others to enjoy the album suggesting it’s better than SFAM is a risky endeavor.   

Everyone can say what they want, but that is how I read Kev’s comments and he’s correct in that assertion.  . 

Bosk and Glasser like the album also but have been careful not to make outrageous claims that could influence the entire site before we all hear it.  I think that’s a smarter approach.

I understand the point but honestly it's up to everyone to manage their own expectations. A reviewer has to be true what she feels. If the you hear the album and think it's their best to date that's your opinion. How others are influenced by that opinion is irrelevant IMHO.

The only review I care is the one I get to do in my mind as I hear the album. For example, I love Anna Lee one of my fav Dream Theater songs. I doubt reviews on FII at the time or every since share that opinion. The rest are interesting to hear but do not factor one single bit into my experience with the album.

• PR permission
« Reply #4452 on: October 13, 2021, 11:03:00 AM »
I will say I thought he sounded pretty good on the ADTOE and DT12 tours. I saw several shows from ADTOE and he did an overall nice job. I skipped the Astonishing tour. On DOT I saw one show and he was way off the entire night. I've managed my expectations given the past so I wasn't sad but it wasn't great either.

I hope DT15 tour, if I can make it, will be only the best of him especially since he is writing the vocal melodies-- presumably he is writing what feels natural to him. There's also plenty of time to prep so fingers crossed when showtime rolls around. As far as the album is concerned, I didn't think Alien or IM had very strong melodies but based on those snippets I think the best is yet to come. Transcending Time should be a song where he shines.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #4453 on: October 13, 2021, 11:38:26 AM »
Rolling Stones did a massive poll on the greatest prog album of all time and SFAM won it.  This was fan voting.

I’m sure there are a ton of people who like other albums more than I&W and SFAM but those two albums are far more beloved than any other albums in their catalogue.   

It’s fine if you don’t share that opinion but it’s naive  to suggest that the Mangini albums are even in the same stratosphere of fan appreciation than those two albums.

I think Kev is simply suggesting to tone down the hyperbole as it may set people up for disappointment.  Especially when 99% of the fanbase hasn’t heard the album yet.   I think if the album was out and we all have heard it than that strong of an opinion wouldn’t hold as much weight.   Right now we are clinging to every word and if you want others to enjoy the album suggesting it’s better than SFAM is a risky endeavor.   

Everyone can say what they want, but that is how I read Kev’s comments and he’s correct in that assertion.  . 

Bosk and Glasser like the album also but have been careful not to make outrageous claims that could influence the entire site before we all hear it.  I think that’s a smarter approach.

I understand the point but honestly it's up to everyone to manage their own expectations. A reviewer has to be true what she feels. If the you hear the album and think it's their best to date that's your opinion. How others are influenced by that opinion is irrelevant IMHO.

The only review I care is the one I get to do in my mind as I hear the album. For example, I love Anna Lee one of my fav Dream Theater songs. I doubt reviews on FII at the time or every since share that opinion. The rest are interesting to hear but do not factor one single bit into my experience with the album.

Totally agree with everything, including your comments on Anna Lee.  I loooove that song.  Very Elton John.  One of their best ballads ever.

As for the expectations.... 100% its on the reader.  Nobody is mad at Kyo or saying he isn't allowed to say what he said.  I just personally take a more cautious approach to these things.   I'm a huge golfer and when I am playing a course I LOVE and I'm taking someone that is about to play it for the first time, I tell them it's a great course but I won't go overboard with it until they play it.  I don't want them to be let down and sometimes an experience can be enhanced or diminished simply because of where expectations were set in advance.    Kyo owes us nothing and doesn't need to manage my or anybody elses expectations but we are all DT fans here and I'm sure we all want each other to love the album.    That's all I think Kev was saying, and I understand where he's coming from.   We don't need to beat a dead horse.... I think we all agree that nothing Kyo said was wrong or bad, and he's completely within his right to make the comments he made.  Who knows maybe Kev and I will actually like the new album more than anything since I&W!  It's more just friendly advice on expectations.   Whether that advices is heeded or not is not a big deal at all.    Also, posting here is way more fun than working so some tedium is bound to happen haha.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #4454 on: October 13, 2021, 11:46:41 AM »
9 days everybody, 9 days!   

This is an experience that has only happened 9 other times in my life so I am super excited.   

I became a fan right after SFAM was released so I have only experienced the anticipation 9 DT releases to this point. 

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #4455 on: October 13, 2021, 11:51:36 AM »

Totally agree with everything, including your comments on Anna Lee.  I loooove that song.  Very Elton John.  One of their best ballads ever.

As for the expectations.... 100% its on the reader.  Nobody is mad at Kyo or saying he isn't allowed to say what he said.  I just personally take a more cautious approach to these things.   I'm a huge golfer and when I am playing a course I LOVE and I'm taking someone that is about to play it for the first time, I tell them it's a great course but I won't go overboard with it until they play it.  I don't want them to be let down and sometimes an experience can be enhanced or diminished simply because of where expectations were set in advance.    Kyo owes us nothing and doesn't need to manage my or anybody elses expectations but we are all DT fans here and I'm sure we all want each other to love the album.    That's all I think Kev was saying, and I understand where he's coming from.   We don't need to beat a dead horse.... I think we all agree that nothing Kyo said was wrong or bad, and he's completely within his right to make the comments he made.  Who knows maybe Kev and I will actually like the new album more than anything since I&W!  It's more just friendly advice on expectations.   Whether that advices is heeded or not is not a big deal at all.    Also, posting here is way more fun than working so some tedium is bound to happen haha.

Totally! One thing that struck with me from the interview today was the part about fans actually wanting to hear new music live compared to other bands where new music is almost a bathroom break until they come back to the "classics". I remember listening to DoT thinking "I can listen to this whole album played live and I wouldn't mind" (OK, maybe leave out Paralyzed  :P). I already want to hear Mangini playing the Alien live. All of this to say, DT has a gift for doing songs I can't wait to hear live. Where the album will rank it's something only years from now we will be able to say.

Also, hooray for Anna Lee! I hope it's played live at some point again.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4456 on: October 13, 2021, 11:53:17 AM »

All of this.  (except the Anna Lee part.  I like it, but wouldn't go much farther than that.)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4457 on: October 13, 2021, 04:56:20 PM »
Watch out, looks like JP said in the new interview posted, that A View is the best sounding album of the band's entire discography, which would include IaW.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #4458 on: October 13, 2021, 04:58:37 PM »
Must.... Castigate...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4459 on: October 13, 2021, 05:32:32 PM »
I'm excited to hear the whole new album next week, but considering Petrucci had to have signed off on the (flawed) sound of all of their albums in the last decade, I will take those comments of his with a grain of salt.  Not to mention that this is the same ballpark as "Our new album is our best ever!"  :P :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4460 on: October 13, 2021, 05:40:12 PM »
But The Alien and Invisible Monster are already out and they do sound great in those songs. We can already make judgments based on those songs.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4461 on: October 13, 2021, 06:00:17 PM »
Watch out, looks like JP said in the new interview posted, that A View is the best sounding album of the band's entire discography, which would include IaW.

I have to agree with him. JP thinks before he speaks. It’s wild watching this being JP and JM were the only members in the band when I was pretty close to them. I remember when they were looking for Charlie’s replacement, I called MP and JP and played them a demo of a friend of mine, they were stunned. A few weeks later I along with JP, JM, MP, and KM went to go see him live, they were blown away again. So he was asked to demo some tunes and rehearse with them. He was asked to join the band right before they started writing I&W. I was so proud and happy I brought DT their new singer!!! When he was offered the gig, he (also being a bassist) said he wasn’t comfortable onstage without his bass. And that was that. I always wondered what if? Bill’s vocals on I&W would have been outstanding.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4462 on: October 13, 2021, 06:18:10 PM »

I have to agree with him. JP thinks before he speaks. It’s wild watching this being JP and JM were the only members in the band when I was pretty close to them. I remember when they were looking for Charlie’s replacement, I called MP and JP and played them a demo of a friend of mine, they were stunned. A few weeks later I along with JP, JM, MP, and KM went to go see him live, they were blown away again. So he was asked to demo some tunes and rehearse with them. He was asked to join the band right before they started writing I&W. I was so proud and happy I brought DT their new singer!!! When he was offered the gig, he (also being a bassist) said he wasn’t comfortable onstage without his bass. And that was that. I always wondered what if? Bill’s vocals on I&W would have been outstanding.

Stadler in DT? Wow!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4463 on: October 13, 2021, 06:20:19 PM »

Stadler in DT? Wow!

Bill Rogers.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #4464 on: October 13, 2021, 06:34:58 PM »

Well yea, our prayers were answered after 2 decades... They got outside sound production

Edit: They "answered the call"
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 06:55:19 PM by LKap13 »

Offline Kram

« Reply #4465 on: October 13, 2021, 06:45:53 PM »

Stadler in DT? Wow!

Bill Rogers.
Small world, I went to high school with Bill in NY back in 80's

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4466 on: October 13, 2021, 06:56:58 PM »

Stadler in DT? Wow!

Bill Rogers.

Brewster? Wow. Yup, he was almost DT’s singer. He Demo’d Status Seeker, Killing Hand, and A Fortune in Lies. He crushed it! The reason his demos were not included on official bootlegs is probably because he could not be contacted for permission but who knows. I wish I still had my tapes.

Offline Kram

« Reply #4467 on: October 13, 2021, 07:03:31 PM »

Stadler in DT? Wow!

Bill Rogers.

Brewster? Wow. Yup, he was almost DT’s singer. He Demo’d Status Seeker, Killing Hand, and A Fortune in Lies. He crushed it! The reason his demos were not included on official bootlegs is probably because he could not be contacted for permission but who knows. I wish I still had my tapes.
Yep Brewster High School, I graduated in 87 I believe Bill was a year ahead of me and graduated in 86.  We ran in similar circles back then.  I knew he had auditioned for DT, but didn't realize he was that close to getting the gig.  Yeah, I would love to hear those demos I wonder if he still has a copy?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4468 on: October 13, 2021, 07:09:30 PM »

Stadler in DT? Wow!

Bill Rogers.

Yep Brewster High School, I graduated in 87 I believe Bill was a year ahead of me and graduated in 86.  We ran in similar circles back then.  I knew he had auditioned for DT, but didn't realize he was that close to getting the gig.  Yeah, I would love to hear those demos I wonder if he still has a copy?

He’s tough to get in touch with these days. I do know he lost a lot of music in a flood. I’m sure MP has them but I’m sure he doesn’t want to be bothered about.

Offline Kram

« Reply #4469 on: October 13, 2021, 08:13:24 PM »

Stadler in DT? Wow!

Bill Rogers.

He’s tough to get in touch with these days. I do know he lost a lot of music in a flood. I’m sure MP has them but I’m sure he doesn’t want to be bothered about.
Yeah, I'm sure MP has better things to do than look for those tapes lol.  I haven't seen Bill in 30 years and wasn't best friends with him or anything.  But like I said, we ran in similar circles back then, and I have a few friends who I "believe" are still in touch with him.  Maybe I'll see if they can ask him - I'll report back if I come up with anything..

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4470 on: October 13, 2021, 08:17:15 PM »
Hey, I'm Class of '86 (not from NY)! Can I come to the class reunion??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4471 on: October 13, 2021, 08:18:41 PM »

Stadler in DT? Wow!

Bill Rogers.

Yeah, I'm sure MP has better things to do than look for those tapes lol.  I haven't seen Bill in 30 years and wasn't best friends with him or anything.  But like I said, we ran in similar circles back then, and I have a few friends who I "believe" are still in touch with him.  Maybe I'll see if they can ask him - I'll report back if I come up with anything..

Thanks! I’ll try as well! I was with him when he was recording them. He has such a powerful voice and sounds incredible live.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4472 on: October 13, 2021, 08:23:08 PM »
Hey, I'm Class of '86 (not from NY)! Can I come to the class reunion??

Only if we can all put mayonnaise on your ass and throw bolony at it.   :) :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4473 on: October 13, 2021, 08:27:47 PM »

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4474 on: October 13, 2021, 11:18:59 PM »
Crikey. This album really can't be released quickly enough at this stage, can it?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #4475 on: October 13, 2021, 11:46:43 PM »
Crikey. This album really can't be released quickly enough at this stage, can it?

Hahaha. The tangents are certainly eyebrow-raising at this stage...  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4476 on: October 14, 2021, 06:50:33 AM »
7 days guys.

Come on i'm sure you can find something to occupy yourself with for 7 days.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #4477 on: October 14, 2021, 07:08:19 AM »
I guess the way I see it (just one man's opinion) is that while I do expect a certain level of quality, my expectations are tempered by Dream Theater being in a late-career stage. The number of bands who lasted long enough to make 14 albums is quite low and the number of those who released a genuinely great 14th album is even lower. It's kind of like Michael Jordan on the Wizards or something... Still an All-Star caliber player and capable of a great night here and there, but he was past the point of completely destroying the entire league. Based on TA and IM, I am cautiously excited to hear AVFTTOTW but am open to being pleasantly surprised. :hat

I wouldn't worry about late stage career hampering DT. Music is not sports. The band members have shown a commitment to maintaining their technical ability and there's been no noticeable degradation is their abilities. A lot of guitarists in particular tend to get distracted later in their careers by other ventures or they don't have the same drive they did when they were young because now they've made it. I am not seeing any of that with JP...quite the opposite. The band can't go on forever, but the last few albums have shown the tank is full and there's no slow down in sight.

I agree with basically everything you said there! I think the point I'm trying to make is just that I'm keeping my expectations in check, which is a philosophy that I apply to all things, not just Dream Theater. Basically the opposite philosophy of the internet. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4478 on: October 14, 2021, 08:17:08 AM »
I think Myung has the hardest job in the band. Shredding on a 6 string bass every day is not gonna be easy.

Jordan is the oldest and he doesnt have to palm mute or anything like that. As long as he doesn't injure his hands I can see him going on and on.

Some pianists can play well into their later years.

Offline rab7

« Reply #4479 on: October 14, 2021, 11:04:12 AM »
As long as he doesn't injure his hands I can see him going on and on.

Some pianists can play well into their later years.

And, not that I'm wishing him injury or anything, but I think he'd be better off losing some dexterity as he gets older so he doesn't devolve into squeezing a million notes per measure when solo-ing (i.e. writing more focused and creative solos)