Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 348497 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #4410 on: October 13, 2021, 04:56:37 AM »
Tbh, I think each of us is capable of ignoring any (possible) hyperbole and still approaching it in our own way. I've spent this entire time of the view that DT doesn't need to "top" anything anymore. Maybe they haven't for years now...who knows? I'm just happy that we still get to experience the thrill of hearing new music from this band. How many more of these chances we'll get, it's hard to say.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #4411 on: October 13, 2021, 05:42:03 AM »
Wow, I haven't been on this forum long but this is absolutely nuts. You guys are so childish. All of you.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #4412 on: October 13, 2021, 05:49:15 AM »
Wow, I haven't been on this forum long but this is absolutely nuts. You guys are so childish. All of you.

It's not us, it's you, dear JM...you are finally starting to age properly...I've seen some gray, in the latest interviews... :biggrin:
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #4413 on: October 13, 2021, 05:56:54 AM »

I feel I act a solid sixteen…

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #4414 on: October 13, 2021, 06:02:50 AM »

It's not us, it's you, dear JM...you are finally starting to age properly...I've seen some gray, in the latest interviews... :biggrin:

Hey man, I can't let everyone know that I'm immortal... gotta at least pretend I'm naturally getting older.... right?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4415 on: October 13, 2021, 06:19:37 AM »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4416 on: October 13, 2021, 06:21:49 AM »
Ah jeez. People were just surprised to see Kyo, a long time fan and very objective reviewer, say what he said. You have to admit that there is a trend to review every new album by an established band as "best since their best album", and seeing how Kyo was available to be asked followup questions, questions were asked, that's all.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #4417 on: October 13, 2021, 06:24:25 AM »
I shouldn't say "all of you" lol, that's my bad... But those of you who are fighting on an internet forum over the validity of an opinion? Yeah, you're who I'm talking about.  :lol

Offline rab7

« Reply #4418 on: October 13, 2021, 06:38:11 AM »
"Their best since Images and Words" has no bearing to me because I fell in love with DT when I first heard that album in 1996, but when I heard Awake a few months after, I&W was quickly toppled.  :lol Closest a DT album came to my love for Awake was Dream Theater self-titled and The Astonishing, but Distance Over Time finally broke Awake's stranglehold and is now currently my favorite DT album. So in my case, it would be the expectations "best album since Distance Over Time" that I have to manage.  :lol

I really really love The Alien now, have listened to it at least twice a day since its release. And while I was initially lukewarm to Invisible Monster, I have grown to love it and even sing it when I played it not as a single but as part of a playlist following The Alien and The Dark Eternal Night.

Addendum: Kyo, since bosk sort of slipped earlier of there being a Rush-inspired tune in this album, and I guess that is Transcending Time based on the snippets, can you tease us with what Rush song it sort of sounds like? :p

Clearly it's their best Rush track since The Looking Glass, but he might start another 2 pages of complaints about that onion

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4419 on: October 13, 2021, 06:50:19 AM »
Well, S2N and Barstool Warrior is better than The Looking Glass...so I guess the onion is starting to be peeled.  :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4420 on: October 13, 2021, 06:51:56 AM »
But those of you who are fighting on an internet forum over the validity of an opinion?

Bloody hell. Not only new to the forum but apparently also new to the internet. Welcome to both :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #4421 on: October 13, 2021, 06:58:27 AM »
But those of you who are fighting on an internet forum over the validity of an opinion?

Bloody hell. Not only new to the forum but apparently also new to the internet. Welcome to both :lol

:rollin

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4422 on: October 13, 2021, 06:59:41 AM »
Tbh, I think each of us is capable of ignoring any (possible) hyperbole and still approaching it in our own way. I've spent this entire time of the view that DT doesn't need to "top" anything anymore. Maybe they haven't for years now...who knows? I'm just happy that we still get to experience the thrill of hearing new music from this band. How many more of these chances we'll get, it's hard to say.

I am happy that people are seeing this album as a highly enjoyable album, even Bosk thinks so.

That alone shows me, we are getting a good album, and this only makes me more excited to hear the songs.

I don't view bands and their albums as a competition with one another where a band has to top the one before, or look for the band to top their most highly regarded classic album. I enjoy the music, and if they want to experiment with their sound and explore other genres of music, that's fine with me, actually I prefer when bands do this. To me expanding your sound and your style of music is being progressive. Expanding your sound and style also means not everyone will enjoy the path chosen. It's exactly why fans are only along for the ride and we as fans are enjoying the journey their train is taking us. And the Dream Theater train took us on a plane, then to outer space, and now where at the top of the world with a fantastic view.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #4423 on: October 13, 2021, 07:05:19 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
All of this right here!

:metal

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #4424 on: October 13, 2021, 07:59:19 AM »
I guess the way I see it (just one man's opinion) is that while I do expect a certain level of quality, my expectations are tempered by Dream Theater being in a late-career stage. The number of bands who lasted long enough to make 14 albums is quite low and the number of those who released a genuinely great 14th album is even lower. It's kind of like Michael Jordan on the Wizards or something... Still an All-Star caliber player and capable of a great night here and there, but he was past the point of completely destroying the entire league. Based on TA and IM, I am cautiously excited to hear AVFTTOTW but am open to being pleasantly surprised. :hat
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4425 on: October 13, 2021, 08:02:02 AM »
I guess the way I see it (just one man's opinion) is that while I do expect a certain level of quality, my expectations are tempered by Dream Theater being in a late-career stage. The number of bands who lasted long enough to make 14 albums is quite low and the number of those who released a genuinely great 14th album is even lower.

Just this year alone, bands like DT, Iron Maiden, Helloween, and Flotsam & Jetsam have all proved that it is possible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4426 on: October 13, 2021, 08:19:09 AM »
Wow, you guys.

I thought Kyo was pretty clear in what he said, and then Kev was also pretty clear in what he said.  And then 3 pages of, well, whatever that was.

Of course, this always happens around new album time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4427 on: October 13, 2021, 08:21:08 AM »
Wow, you guys.

I thought Kyo was pretty clear in what he said, and then Kev was also pretty clear in what he said.  And then 3 pages of, well, whatever that was.

Wait..are you saying this always happens, or are you saying it's new album time?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #4428 on: October 13, 2021, 08:24:50 AM »
I guess the way I see it (just one man's opinion) is that while I do expect a certain level of quality, my expectations are tempered by Dream Theater being in a late-career stage. The number of bands who lasted long enough to make 14 albums is quite low and the number of those who released a genuinely great 14th album is even lower. It's kind of like Michael Jordan on the Wizards or something... Still an All-Star caliber player and capable of a great night here and there, but he was past the point of completely destroying the entire league. Based on TA and IM, I am cautiously excited to hear AVFTTOTW but am open to being pleasantly surprised. :hat

I wouldn't worry about late stage career hampering DT. Music is not sports. The band members have shown a commitment to maintaining their technical ability and there's been no noticeable degradation is their abilities. A lot of guitarists in particular tend to get distracted later in their careers by other ventures or they don't have the same drive they did when they were young because now they've made it. I am not seeing any of that with JP...quite the opposite. The band can't go on forever, but the last few albums have shown the tank is full and there's no slow down in sight.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4429 on: October 13, 2021, 08:33:59 AM »
Wow, you guys.

Haha, I know, right?  I wouldn't have said anything if I had known so many wouldn't get my point and some would misrepresent what I said, but like you said, it's new album time. :lol :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4430 on: October 13, 2021, 08:36:36 AM »
Wow, you guys.

Haha, I know, right?  I wouldn't have said anything if I had known so many wouldn't get my point and some would misrepresent what I said, but like you said, it's new album time. :lol :lol
I got your point, I just didn't think it was relevant to Kyo's post. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #4431 on: October 13, 2021, 08:36:43 AM »

I wouldn't worry about late stage career hampering DT. Music is not sports. The band members have shown a commitment to maintaining their technical ability and there's been no noticeable degradation is their abilities. A lot of guitarists in particular tend to get distracted later in their careers by other ventures or they don't have the same drive they did when they were young because now they've made it. I am not seeing any of that with JP...quite the opposite. The band can't go on forever, but the last few albums have shown the tank is full and there's no slow down in sight.

I respectfully disagree with this comment as, at least imo, Labrie is not nearly the singer he once was.  Unfortunately people age and James’ instrument is literally himself.  He’s still a fine and capable singer but i think his vocals alone will make topping my favorite albums by DT impossible. 

The first thing that drew me to the band was James’ vocals on pull me under.  I was hooked immediately.   It won’t ever be like that again.

Now with that said… I love D/T and really like the two singles.  I expect this album to be killer but there are things that get in the way of them returning to earlier album glory.    If you became a fan because of TOT or some of the more modern DT albums this is likely to be less of an issue for you though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4432 on: October 13, 2021, 08:42:59 AM »

I got your point, I just didn't think it was relevant to Kyo's post. :P

Haha, touche! :P :lol

I respectfully disagree with this comment as, at least imo, Labrie is not nearly the singer he once was.  Unfortunately people age and James’ instrument is literally himself.  He’s still a fine and capable singer but i think his vocals alone will make topping my favorite albums by DT impossible. 

The first thing that drew me to the band was James’ vocals on pull me under.  I was hooked immediately.   It won’t ever be like that again.

Agreed.  JLB is still sounds very good in the studio, and will always be one of my all-time favorite singers off of the strength of the earlier years alone, but he definitely cannot "bring it" like he used to.  And that is okay.  The list of rock singers who belt it out like he does and didn't lose anything in their 50s and 60s can be counted probably on one hand.

• PR permission
« Reply #4433 on: October 13, 2021, 09:07:10 AM »

Now with that said… I love D/T and really like the two singles.  I expect this album to be killer but there are things that get in the way of them returning to earlier album glory.    If you became a fan because of TOT or some of the more modern DT albums this is likely to be less of an issue for you though.

Sorry, I should have clarified this. I was referring only to the instrumentalists in the band. I agree JLB will never sound the way he did on I&W or even Awake.

Subconsciously I probably avoided saying anything about the vocal department because it'll inevitably sound negative or mean, but I think it's been a consistent performance problem for almost 2 decades now and it's likely not getting any better. The studio stuff sounds fine at best. It is what it is.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #4434 on: October 13, 2021, 09:17:58 AM »
Yeah I mean Labrie was an over the top, almost "hair metal" vocalist juxtaposed with a prog metal band.  That was what made DT so unique and amazing.  It's just impossible for him to continue to sing like that at his age.  With that said, I still wouldn't want another vocalist.  It's sort of like Harrison Ford in Indiana Jones.  Sure he cant do it like he used to, but if it wasn't him I wouldn't really care.

I would rather DT just go instrumental than replace James.   I thought James was great on D/T though just not like it used to be. 

Two songs I would have loved to hear James sing when he was younger are Gift of Music and Looking Glass.  He still sings those both well but they would really blossom if it was the year 2000 James.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4435 on: October 13, 2021, 09:18:57 AM »
If the two singles are any indication, I think this coming album will feature vocal melodies that are now in James' current range. No more Barstool Warrior or Gift of Music.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4436 on: October 13, 2021, 09:27:20 AM »
I never had any problem with James on Barstool Warrior or The Gift of Music. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4437 on: October 13, 2021, 09:27:56 AM »

James was amazing on The Gift Of Music.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #4438 on: October 13, 2021, 09:28:46 AM »

I didn't either... I think he sounds great on BW.   The Gift of Music he sounds good, but I just think young James would have really crushed it.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4439 on: October 13, 2021, 09:35:00 AM »

The studio vocals in those songs are very good! But he can not hit them live, he usually resorted to shouting the high parts. What I meant was that The Alien and Invisible Monster seem to be not pushing hin to do thqt live anymore.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #4440 on: October 13, 2021, 09:41:24 AM »
It’s funny what people care about though.   I could care less if James hits any notes live.  I’m only going to see him once a year at most anyways.  I’ll be listening to the studio albums forever. 

I would much rather James belt it out on the studio albums and make them as great as they can be. Regardless of how that impacts the live shows.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4441 on: October 13, 2021, 09:42:00 AM »
It’s funny what people care about though.   I could care less if James hits any notes live.  I’m only going to see him once a year at most anyways.  I’ll be listening to the studio albums forever. 

I would much rather James belt it out on the studio albums and make them as great as they can be. Regardless of how that impacts the live shows.

This is my stance as well.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4442 on: October 13, 2021, 09:45:28 AM »
But you are not the ones who had to suffer singing those hard songs night after night and then getting bashed over it on social mdia.

• PR permission
« Reply #4443 on: October 13, 2021, 10:00:58 AM »

What's funny about the audience wanting to hear a solid performance? If the lead vocalist is off it's disappointing.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #4444 on: October 13, 2021, 10:11:46 AM »

What's funny about the audience wanting to hear a solid performance? If the lead vocalist is off it's disappointing.

You’re misunderstanding my comment.  Funny/interesting whatever you want to say… I’m just saying that it’s interesting to me that people would rather have the album suffer so that the live performance is better.  It’s the opposite of how I feel.  I find it “funny” that my opinion is so different in that aspect because as I mentioned before I’m going to listen to the studio album for the rest of my life.