Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 346494 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #4375 on: October 12, 2021, 07:44:12 PM »
You did a good job of paraphrasing what he did say, and then you went on to draw a conclusion and attribute it to him that has nothing to do with what he said.  So, yes, you misrepresented what he said. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4376 on: October 12, 2021, 07:45:21 PM »
Can someone please point out where the climax of the AVFTTOTW (the song) occurs?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4377 on: October 12, 2021, 07:45:47 PM »
In the song.  Right at the climactic part.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #4378 on: October 12, 2021, 07:46:10 PM »
This is completely Hypothetical: if I was introduced to DT today being a prog metal fan already and I was handed their entire studio discog I would not say I&W is their best album technically as they have evolved so much since. It all comes down to preferred taste, bottom line. But that’s only my point of view.

Totally fair point. And we likely have fans on this forum who were introduced to the band much later (myself included, though I did listen to I&W first) and who think other albums are better. We have at least one person on this forum who thinks TA is the best.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4379 on: October 12, 2021, 07:49:16 PM »

:lol :lol :lol 

DT fans rule! Seriously love you all. 

Offline LKap13

« Reply #4380 on: October 12, 2021, 07:49:32 PM »
I don't think there's a single errant note on i&w though  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4381 on: October 12, 2021, 07:52:07 PM »

Oh shit. Why didn't I think of that? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4382 on: October 12, 2021, 07:55:38 PM »

There is not.  It is a perfect record, in every way, triggered snare (which is part of the charm) and all.  Eight songs, all of them perfect, and the sound and mix could not be any better.  :hat :hat

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4383 on: October 12, 2021, 07:57:04 PM »

There is not.  It is a perfect record, in every way, triggered snare (which is part of the charm) and all.  Eight songs, all of them perfect, and the sound and mix could not be any better.  :hat :hat

This. The best album ever made.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4384 on: October 12, 2021, 07:58:10 PM »
Gun to the head I think SFAM is their “Mindcrime”. BUT I personally like ADTOE more, and it’s my favorite. Am I saying it’s better than View? …..No because I see View as a greatest hits but with all new songs if you get what I mean. I have said on several occasions that View scopes their entire career and still has an incredible energy and freshness to it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 08:11:59 PM by Glasser »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4385 on: October 12, 2021, 07:59:27 PM »
Gun to the head I think SFAM is their “Mindcrime”.

Then I&W is their Warning, and I take Warning over Mindcrime.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #4386 on: October 12, 2021, 08:01:14 PM »
Looking forward to their next album already!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4387 on: October 12, 2021, 08:01:33 PM »
Gun to the head I think SFAM is their “Mindcrime”. BUT I personally like ADTOE more, and it’s my favorite. Am I saying it’s better than View? …..No because I see View as a greatest hits but with all new songs if you get what I mean. I have said on several occasions that View scopes their entire career.

I think ADTOE would have been top 5 for me if it sounded better, but the muddy mix (especially when it really rocks) makes it a tough listen for me, even the HD version, which is better, but still too muddy.  The songwriting was definitely mostly excellent on that one. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4388 on: October 12, 2021, 08:02:47 PM »
Gun to the head I think SFAM is their “Mindcrime”. BUT I personally like ADTOE more, and it’s my favorite. Am I saying it’s better than View? …..No because I see View as a greatest hits but with all new songs if you get what I mean. I have said on several occasions that View scopes their entire career.

I think ADTOE would have been top 5 for me if it sounded better, but the muddy mix (especially when it really rocks) makes it a tough listen for me, even the HD version, which is better, but still too muddy.  The songwriting was definitely mostly excellent on that one.

The songs Kev. The songs. ADTOE is an amazing album. I don't even have an issue with how it sounds.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #4389 on: October 12, 2021, 08:03:29 PM »
Yea such a weird mix. Very thin and thready. Not much bass. Just weird.

Biggest surprise on this forum is the amount of love adtoe gets. It ain't bad but I'll take tot ANY DAY

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4390 on: October 12, 2021, 08:05:17 PM »

The songs Kev. The songs. ADTOE is an amazing album. I don't even have an issue with how it sounds.

I do. I finally got my awesome home stereo system a month or so ago (surround sound and all), and I ran through a ton of stuff.  It was great to be reminded of how great some stuff sounded, but also a bit of a bummer in some cases.  ADTOE was one of those cases.  It was glaring how poor the mix is when I turned it on and cranked it up. I ended up turning off Breaking All Illusions a couple of minutes into it because I was so aggravated by how suffocating the mix was.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #4391 on: October 12, 2021, 08:05:44 PM »
Rolling Stones did a massive poll on the greatest prog album of all time and SFAM won it.  This was fan voting.

I’m sure there are a ton of people who like other albums more than I&W and SFAM but those two albums are far more beloved than any other albums in their catalogue.   

It’s fine if you don’t share that opinion but it’s naive  to suggest that the Mangini albums are even in the same stratosphere of fan appreciation than those two albums.

I think Kev is simply suggesting to tone down the hyperbole as it may set people up for disappointment.  Especially when 99% of the fanbase hasn’t heard the album yet.   I think if the album was out and we all have heard it than that strong of an opinion wouldn’t hold as much weight.   Right now we are clinging to every word and if you want others to enjoy the album suggesting it’s better than SFAM is a risky endeavor.   

Everyone can say what they want, but that is how I read Kev’s comments and he’s correct in that assertion.  . 

Bosk and Glasser like the album also but have been careful not to make outrageous claims that could influence the entire site before we all hear it.  I think that’s a smarter approach.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #4392 on: October 12, 2021, 08:10:17 PM »

Biggest surprise on this forum is the amount of love adtoe gets. It ain't bad but I'll take tot ANY DAY

Totally agree… I don’t understand the love fest for ADTOE.  Outside of breaking all illusions and the one chill part in Lost Not Forgotten I find the album to be very run of the mill DT.   The production being bad doesn’t help matters either.  TOT isn’t my style of music but it sounds way more inspired and exciting than ADTOE to me. 

To each his own though!   DT simply doesn’t have a dud… they always bring it.  Different albums resonate with different people. 

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #4393 on: October 12, 2021, 08:21:11 PM »
Rolling Stones did a massive poll on the greatest prog album of all time and SFAM won it.  This was fan voting.

I’m sure there are a ton of people who like other albums more than I&W and SFAM but those two albums are far more beloved than any other albums in their catalogue.   

It’s fine if you don’t share that opinion but it’s naive  to suggest that the Mangini albums are even in the same stratosphere of fan appreciation than those two albums.

I think Kev is simply suggesting to tone down the hyperbole as it may set people up for disappointment.  Especially when 99% of the fanbase hasn’t heard the album yet.   I think if the album was out and we all have heard it than that strong of an opinion wouldn’t hold as much weight.   Right now we are clinging to every word and if you want others to enjoy the album suggesting it’s better than SFAM is a risky endeavor.   

Everyone can say what they want, but that is how I read Kev’s comments and he’s correct in that assertion.  . 

Bosk and Glasser like the album also but have been careful not to make outrageous claims that could influence the entire site before we all hear it.  I think that’s a smarter approach.

It's not hyperbole unless Kyo believes he is exaggerating, which there's no reason to think is true. There's nothing hyperbolic about his review if he really believes DT15 is better. At the end of the day his review is his personal opinion. So provided that, what some are really asking him to do (regardless of how they might want to quibble over trivial matters of wording) is not to state his overall highly enthusiastic opinion of the record relative to other DT records because fans (majority? super majority? some? not sure how many fans are required to be inevitably disappointed by DT15 before we conclude Kyo's review set their musical experience up for failure on Oct 22), and probably they too, really love SFAM and SDOIT and won't think DT15 is anywhere near as good.

And you know what? If you really love those albums that much, a) that is great and b) you can dismiss his review out of hand before hearing the rest of DT15 because what are the chances the remaining 5 songs on the album can top such widely loved records of the past? He said which other DT albums he likes, so that is plenty of reference as to where he is coming from as a fan.

Offline rab7

« Reply #4394 on: October 12, 2021, 08:23:47 PM »

So if I remember correctly, it was a single elimination bracket. I don't remember what killed I&W, but once SFAM was the last DT survivor, DT fans united behind it and made sure it beat everyone else. Doesn't necessarily mean everyone who voted for it considered it better than I&W

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #4395 on: October 12, 2021, 08:28:48 PM »

So if I remember correctly, it was a single elimination bracket. I don't remember what killed I&W, but once SFAM was the last DT survivor, DT fans united behind it and made sure it beat everyone else. Doesn't necessarily mean everyone who voted for it considered it better than I&W

That’s definitely true… but I certainly can’t imagine any other album being included in that poll.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4396 on: October 12, 2021, 08:29:07 PM »

Totally agree… I don’t understand the love fest for ADTOE.  Outside of breaking all illusions and the one chill part in Lost Not Forgotten I find the album to be very run of the mill DT.   The production being bad doesn’t help matters either.  TOT isn’t my style of music but it sounds way more inspired and exciting than ADTOE to me. 

To each his own though!   DT simply doesn’t have a dud… they always bring it.  Different albums resonate with different people.

You don’t have to understand the love fest that’s the beauty of it. Like you said, to each their own AND they don’t have a dud. You are right, so am I, so is he, so is she etc… We all love DT! Everyone’s opinion matters.  :metal :corn

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #4397 on: October 12, 2021, 10:42:53 PM »

It's not hyperbole unless Kyo believes he is exaggerating, which there's no reason to think is true. There's nothing hyperbolic about his review if he really believes DT15 is better. At the end of the day his review is his personal opinion. So provided that, what some are really asking him to do (regardless of how they might want to quibble over trivial matters of wording) is not to state his overall highly enthusiastic opinion of the record relative to other DT records because fans (majority? super majority? some? not sure how many fans are required to be inevitably disappointed by DT15 before we conclude Kyo's review set their musical experience up for failure on Oct 22), and probably they too, really love SFAM and SDOIT and won't think DT15 is anywhere near as good.

And you know what? If you really love those albums that much, a) that is great and b) you can dismiss his review out of hand before hearing the rest of DT15 because what are the chances the remaining 5 songs on the album can top such widely loved records of the past? He said which other DT albums he likes, so that is plenty of reference as to where he is coming from as a fan.

Kev didn't dismiss anything. He was simply saying it's worth managing expectations when what was worded is comparing it to some of the bands big tier albums, as bold statements can often lead to unrealistic expectations. I completely understand where he is coming from.

I have enjoyed the reviews and am really excited for the new album, but also think its worth going in looking to digest the new album over time as its own entity without making comparisons at this stage. But that's just me...

Offline NoFred

« Reply #4398 on: October 12, 2021, 11:22:03 PM »
Discussion going off the rails due to a positive review :lol looking forward to this one! T minus 10 to go…

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #4399 on: October 12, 2021, 11:23:42 PM »
Kyo,

With all due respect, the minute you said, "It may well be the best one since Images and Words," in your review, you lost me.  It would be like David Gilmour releasing a new album and a reviewer saying at the start, "This might be the best album he has been a part of since The Dark Side of the Moon!"  Throwing out stuff like that simply puts unrealistic expectations in the heads of those who have not heard the album yet.  Maybe it's just me, but I feel there are ways to write a glowingly positive review without feeling the need for that kind of hyperbole.

It's a personal view and it's certainly not hyperbole from my point of view. Everyone's top albums will be different. For me, Awake has always been mostly weak and FII has been very uneven. That leaves SfaM and Six Degrees as the main towering classics from the post-I&W years. I don't think any of the later Portnoy albums are great. My personal top 5 would probably be I&W, SfaM, 6DOIT, ADToE and (yes!) The Astonishing. Compared to these, the new album is significantly more focused and more fun than TA. It is significantly fresher and better sounding than ADToE. It is significantly more focused than 6DOIT and while it's a close call with SfaM, I prefer the new one because - again - it is more focused (musically, where SfaM sometimes sacrifices that for conceptual reasons) and the lack of sappy ballads makes it more fun overall. So no hyperbole at all needed to say that yes, I do like this album better than my personal favorites, with I&W being the lone exception (an album that I consider damn near perfect and almost impossible to top anyway). Hence, "It may well be the best one since Images and Words" is ultimately just a matter-of-fact realization from my point of view. You may not agree, but you may also completely disagree with me about Awake or ToT being weak albums where the new one being better in my opinion is just not much of a feat. That's just how it goes.

Let me explain it a little better: it is not about any one person's of their work; it is about knowing the favorites of the fanbase and keeping expectations realistic.  To know the DT fan base is to know that (post-I&W) a record like Scenes from a Memory is wildly popular, and Awake and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence are widely loved as well.  So, again, saying, "It may well be the best one since Images and Words," is setting a lot of fans up for disappointment if your opinion is not shared by them right away, and like it or not, expectations do often subconsciously affect how fans react to new music.  That is all I am saying. 

The point of interest is, does the reviewer need to worry about this?

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4400 on: October 12, 2021, 11:32:39 PM »
Blimey. People do love a good old contretemps on the internet, don't they? :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4401 on: October 13, 2021, 12:54:11 AM »
As most DT albums I love half of ADTOE :)
The sound isn't a show stopper for me, else it would mean we can't enjoy albums like and justice for all ?

I think the whole "best since I&W" thing is completely subjective and different for each person and changes over time !
It's normal for one person to think SFAM is the best concept album of all times for 10 years and someday change his mind :)

The album is dropping soon, can't wait
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #4402 on: October 13, 2021, 01:33:46 AM »
I am not sure how any more clear I make this: IT IS ABOUT KEEPING EXPECTATIONS REALISTIC.

But it really sounds more like it is about keeping expectations low, which isn't the same thing. Whether I'd rate the new album better than, e.g., SfaM or slightly below it ultimately doesn't matter to anyone else. Here's what sets realistic expectations without quabbling about individual people's ratings of individual albums: I think the new album is one of the best things they've done in their career, period. It's that simple. Whether it'll end up being your personal number 2, number 5, number 1 or number 12, I couldn't possibly say. And so it can't be a factor for deciding how to phrase my review.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4403 on: October 13, 2021, 01:34:02 AM »
Kyo,

With all due respect, the minute you said, "It may well be the best one since Images and Words," in your review, you lost me.  It would be like David Gilmour releasing a new album and a reviewer saying at the start, "This might be the best album he has been a part of since The Dark Side of the Moon!"  Throwing out stuff like that simply puts unrealistic expectations in the heads of those who have not heard the album yet.  Maybe it's just me, but I feel there are ways to write a glowingly positive review without feeling the need for that kind of hyperbole.

It's a personal view and it's certainly not hyperbole from my point of view. Everyone's top albums will be different. For me, Awake has always been mostly weak and FII has been very uneven. That leaves SfaM and Six Degrees as the main towering classics from the post-I&W years. I don't think any of the later Portnoy albums are great. My personal top 5 would probably be I&W, SfaM, 6DOIT, ADToE and (yes!) The Astonishing. Compared to these, the new album is significantly more focused and more fun than TA. It is significantly fresher and better sounding than ADToE. It is significantly more focused than 6DOIT and while it's a close call with SfaM, I prefer the new one because - again - it is more focused (musically, where SfaM sometimes sacrifices that for conceptual reasons) and the lack of sappy ballads makes it more fun overall. So no hyperbole at all needed to say that yes, I do like this album better than my personal favorites, with I&W being the lone exception (an album that I consider damn near perfect and almost impossible to top anyway). Hence, "It may well be the best one since Images and Words" is ultimately just a matter-of-fact realization from my point of view. You may not agree, but you may also completely disagree with me about Awake or ToT being weak albums where the new one being better in my opinion is just not much of a feat. That's just how it goes.

Let me explain it a little better: it is not about any one person's of their work; it is about knowing the favorites of the fanbase and keeping expectations realistic.  To know the DT fan base is to know that (post-I&W) a record like Scenes from a Memory is wildly popular, and Awake and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence are widely loved as well.  So, again, saying, "It may well be the best one since Images and Words," is setting a lot of fans up for disappointment if your opinion is not shared by them right away, and like it or not, expectations do often subconsciously affect how fans react to new music.  That is all I am saying. 
This is all well and good, but why do you think Kyo was trying to (or otherwise should) manage expectations in the first place? His original post which you responded to very specifically said "here's my personal take on it". There's no possible way to read that other than "here is my opinion".
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 02:52:35 AM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #4404 on: October 13, 2021, 01:45:20 AM »
I am not sure how any more clear I make this: IT IS ABOUT KEEPING EXPECTATIONS REALISTIC.

But it really sounds more like it is about keeping expectations low, which isn't the same thing. Whether I'd rate the new album better than, e.g., SfaM or slightly below it ultimately doesn't matter to anyone else. Here's what sets realistic expectations without quabbling about individual people's ratings of individual albums: I think the new album is one of the best things they've done in their career, period. It's that simple. Whether it'll end up being your personal number 2, number 5, number 1 or number 12, I couldn't possibly say. And so it can't be a factor for deciding how to phrase my review.

Agreed, Kyo thanks for following up to clarify (2x now)  :tup

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4405 on: October 13, 2021, 01:56:59 AM »
The fact Kyo is having to justify his statement is utterly absurd. If he thinks it's DT's best effort since Images & Words, fine. It's not his responsibility to manage the expectations of the forum; last time I checked, he wasn't a member of the band (although I do happen to know he's a nice chap). If someone's going to feel personally aggrieved because they thought they were getting a top two or three DT album all down to Kyo's thoughts, that's solely on them, and I would suggest they probably have bigger problems to worry about elsewhere if they let it affect them to that degree.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4406 on: October 13, 2021, 02:09:05 AM »
"Their best since Images and Words" has no bearing to me because I fell in love with DT when I first heard that album in 1996, but when I heard Awake a few months after, I&W was quickly toppled.  :lol Closest a DT album came to my love for Awake was Dream Theater self-titled and The Astonishing, but Distance Over Time finally broke Awake's stranglehold and is now currently my favorite DT album. So in my case, it would be the expectations "best album since Distance Over Time" that I have to manage.  :lol

I really really love The Alien now, have listened to it at least twice a day since its release. And while I was initially lukewarm to Invisible Monster, I have grown to love it and even sing it when I played it not as a single but as part of a playlist following The Alien and The Dark Eternal Night.

Addendum: Kyo, since bosk sort of slipped earlier of there being a Rush-inspired tune in this album, and I guess that is Transcending Time based on the snippets, can you tease us with what Rush song it sort of sounds like? :p
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 02:23:09 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline erciccio

« Reply #4407 on: October 13, 2021, 03:13:21 AM »
I've just received confirmation that my Dream Theater - A View From The Top Of The World (Ltd. Deluxe 2CD+Blu-ray Artbook) has been shipped.. :tup
I will receive it on Thursday

Yesterday I checked on the UPS site, and actually only the label had been printed.
But today I received this as well..

"Your order at InsideOut Shop is being shipped right now. Please allow 2 to 14 working days for delivery depending on the country you ordered from.

Contact us at shop@insideout.de in case you need tracking details or other necessary information concerning your order.

Thank you very much, we are looking forward to hearing from you again."

:yarr
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Pettor

« Reply #4408 on: October 13, 2021, 03:15:43 AM »
The fact Kyo is having to justify his statement is utterly absurd. If he thinks it's DT's best effort since Images & Words, fine. It's not his responsibility to manage the expectations of the forum; last time I checked, he wasn't a member of the band (although I do happen to know he's a nice chap). If someone's going to feel personally aggrieved because they thought they were getting a top two or three DT album all down to Kyo's thoughts, that's solely on them, and I would suggest they probably have bigger problems to worry about elsewhere if they let it affect them to that degree.

This this and this. Reviews are NOT objective and should never be seen as such. Reviews can be used to get a measure from a person and is only useful if you think this persons taste aligns with your own taste and nothing more. It's not universal, it's not a real metric for the music itself and it's fully subjective. If a review in the end translates to hype that makes the album disappointing that is really on the reader. Sure the reviewer should try to give as much information as possible and try to describe it's own personal taste / alignment so that the reader can understand if that will match. Saying something like "best since I&W" is a perfectly valid sentence no matter of what the global average score is or fan base thinks of it, since once again, it's subjective.

Kyo should sleep calm tonight because the only fault here is thinking reviews should be aligning with global metrics, fan bases or other still highly subjective metrics. If you think the review was over it's head for stating something like "best since I&W" there's a super easy solution; dismiss the review.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 03:27:07 AM by Pettor »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4409 on: October 13, 2021, 04:24:49 AM »
Gun to the head I think SFAM is their “Mindcrime”.

Then I&W is their Warning, and I take Warning over Mindcrime.

Warning and Mindcrime are children's scribbles, while I&W and SFAM are like paintings by Caspar David Friedrich.
any rock can be made to roll