Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 353981 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #3920 on: September 28, 2021, 07:57:46 AM »
Totally heard symphony x and was excited about it! In the past the mention of symphony x on this forum has not always been met with positive reviews, but I think an element of sx in new dt will be very welcome

Depends if it’s the S X sound up to The Odyssey or after as to whether that’s a good thing.

Which do you prefer?

Their classic sound obviously. Modern SX is totally generic and a colossal waste of Russell Allen.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #3921 on: September 28, 2021, 09:11:47 AM »
Classic sx is awesome, but iconoclast is pretty damn good. They've kept a high level throughout

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #3922 on: September 28, 2021, 09:17:54 AM »
Totally heard symphony x and was excited about it! In the past the mention of symphony x on this forum has not always been met with positive reviews, but I think an element of sx in new dt will be very welcome

Depends if it’s the S X sound up to The Odyssey or after as to whether that’s a good thing.

Which do you prefer?

Their classic sound obviously. Modern SX is totally generic and a colossal waste of Russell Allen.

Gee, while I can understand not everyone will enjoy the heavier elements of SX's more modern stuff (I love Underworld, Iconoclast and Paradise Lost but all good), Russ is incredible on some of the tracks such as Paradise Lost, Swan Song, When all is Lost, The Sacrifice, Revelation etc... Ah well, to each his own...

Offline LKap13

« Reply #3923 on: September 28, 2021, 09:19:22 AM »
Agree with all that

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #3924 on: September 28, 2021, 09:21:21 AM »
I'm in the same boat. Odyssey was the last album that I loved, despite it still being quite heavier and different, but it retained enough of what I think made SX awesome.

The rest of the albums have great tracks but I don't care about any of them as a whole. It's generic modern metal, remove RA and it's gonna be hard time to recognize them. Only the biggest Romeo fans might recognize his style. Still, even the worse production on old albums benefits the sound, it adds to the chracater.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3925 on: September 28, 2021, 01:40:11 PM »
If AVFTTOTW rivals the title track from The Odyssey I'll be stoked. That is an amazing epic song!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3926 on: September 28, 2021, 02:12:41 PM »
If AVFTTOTW rivals the title track from The Odyssey I'll be stoked. That is an amazing epic song!

The Odyssey is my all-time favorite epic, its nearly perfect. I love AVFTTOTW but I need more time listening to put it up there with that.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3927 on: September 28, 2021, 02:24:59 PM »
To this day I wish that A Nightmare to Remember and Beautiful Agony were two separate songs.

When the stems were released, someone made it a separate song.  More than just an edit, it had some extra production to it. I burned it on CD.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3928 on: September 28, 2021, 04:00:26 PM »
Black Clouds & Silver Linings could have been another 8 track album but I think Portnoy loved the idea of 4 epics and 2 songs.

Nightmare did NOT need to be 16 minutes.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3929 on: September 28, 2021, 04:08:16 PM »

Perhaps not, but it isn't anything different structurally from anything else of comparable length that they've done.  If I'm the producer on that album, there isn't anything in that song that screams "cut me out."  I would maybe cut about 45 seconds of the instrumental before the last chorus comes in, and maybe cut out the roar (but NOT the vocals that precede it), but that's about it.  It's nearly the perfect song. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3930 on: September 28, 2021, 04:39:14 PM »

Perhaps not, but it isn't anything different structurally from anything else of comparable length that they've done.  If I'm the producer on that album, there isn't anything in that song that screams "cut me out."  I would maybe cut about 45 seconds of the instrumental before the last chorus comes in, and maybe cut out the roar (but NOT the vocals that precede it), but that's about it.  It's nearly the perfect song.

To me, the song takes forever to wind down. That's where I'd cut it down a bit. This is a song that I should love, but there's just something holding me back on it. I can't think of any section I don't like. It's puzzling.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3931 on: September 28, 2021, 05:01:05 PM »
I think it has one solo section too many.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3932 on: September 28, 2021, 05:45:42 PM »
I agree with bosk that the song's structure isn't actually bad. If you're really down for the song as is it works okay. But for me, even though it's a banger live and I don't dislike any particular section, it crawls into the end.

The Peaceful Sedation part should have been broken into its own song. It's a good enough idea to justify slightly fleshing it out into its own song so that it can stand on its own and really breathe and be itself.

I think then if you go back to Nightmare and look at where to go without the section, something tighter could have been put together from it.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3933 on: September 28, 2021, 06:13:26 PM »
For me, ANTR is like The Glass Prison where it just overextended in the end. The music is not saying anything new anymore but it kept going on and on.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3934 on: September 28, 2021, 06:16:26 PM »
For me, ANTR is like The Glass Prison where it just overextended in the end. The music is not saying anything new anymore but it kept going on and on.

Would you like me edit both songs? I also do mastering.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3935 on: September 28, 2021, 06:23:45 PM »

The only editing I've had to do on a DT song is that I had my son edit out the orchestra section in Illumination Theory.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3936 on: September 28, 2021, 06:45:25 PM »
I don't agree with the notion of Beautiful Agony needing to be two separate songs. It's full of references to the main song, is connected lyrically to it, transitions smoothly from & back into it, & largely works because of how well it contrasts. Isolating it would make it into a Wither clone & would take away what I find special about it.

I could understand the argument of thinking the solo tradeoff should've gone straight into the final chorus (cutting 10:28-13:20), but I disagree with that too. I think it works fine as it is, because the heavy part adds more variety & the riffs afterward make the transition to the final chorus smoother.

I think ANTR handles its length a lot better than disc 1 of SDOIT, most of TOT, & the Octavarium title track, personally.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3937 on: September 28, 2021, 08:28:47 PM »

The only editing I've had to do on a DT song is that I had my son edit out the orchestra section in Illumination Theory.

I did the exact same but also shortened the gap at the end where JM and MM come back in. Not sure why Chycki didn’t do the same.

Online TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #3938 on: September 28, 2021, 08:36:39 PM »

I did the exact same but also shortened the gap at the end where JM and MM come back in. Not sure why Chycki didn’t do the same.

I am surprised. I think that section is incredibly strong and something new for DT. I remember when DT12 came out, one of the words used to describe that album was 'cinematic' which I totally got from the orchestra section in particular. Thought it was really well done...though sometimes I'll skip it if I am at the gym  :biggrin:

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3939 on: September 28, 2021, 08:39:32 PM »

I am surprised. I think that section is incredibly strong and something new for DT. I remember when DT12 came out, one of the words used to describe that album was 'cinematic' which I totally got from the orchestra section in particular. Thought it was really well done...though sometimes I'll skip it if I am at the gym  :biggrin:

I enjoy both versions BUT the silence wasn’t necessary, too long. That’s what I thought Chycki would’ve   edited
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 09:04:37 PM by Glasser »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3940 on: September 28, 2021, 08:59:12 PM »
To this day I wish that A Nightmare to Remember and Beautiful Agony were two separate songs.

To this day I wish everything after beautiful agony was different 😁

:lol
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3941 on: September 28, 2021, 09:28:56 PM »
I don't agree with the notion of Beautiful Agony needing to be two separate songs. It's full of references to the main song, is connected lyrically to it, transitions smoothly from & back into it, & largely works because of how well it contrasts. Isolating it would make it into a Wither clone & would take away what I find special about it.

I think all of this is completely fair.

One day I will understand why so many people don't like this section.

????????????

The song makes a hard turn from an orchestral section to a drum and bass section. You have to have something in there to make it make sense, which I think the little dopplering rush sound effect does fine.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3942 on: September 28, 2021, 09:39:26 PM »
I love Illumination Theory as is. My only small beef was the silence connected to end section which I shortened to about 2 or 3 seconds.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3943 on: September 28, 2021, 09:43:03 PM »

I don't see why those parts of IT would be edited out because they make sense in the story the music is trying to tell. That is different from the extended sections of ANTR and TGP, where I can not make sense why we had to hear the same riffs over and over again

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3944 on: September 28, 2021, 10:20:31 PM »
I think it works great on TGP. ANTR not so much.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #3945 on: September 28, 2021, 10:49:08 PM »
I’m definitely in the camp that Nightmare would be far better with a solid edit. Whether it should be seperate from “beautiful agony” is debatable, as like someone already pointed out, it adds nice layers and contrast and carries similar themes.

But to me, the opening could be shorter and more concise and the ending can easily be trimmed. It feels like it just takes so long to get going and so long to end. The solo could easily have been streamlined and I honestly feel it would be a much more cohesive track if these areas were streamlined.

The other thing I struggle with is the “day after day” section leading up to the roar. While I don’t get too transfixed on the lyrics, this is one part where the angry tone of the vocals just doesn’t match what’s going on in the story where basically “everyone survived”. Maybe it’s just me, but this whole section could’ve been done in a far better way IMO.

Overall, this is one that I don’t even put in the same category as their long epics, as it feels like a mismatch of riffs and ideas that just don’t quite work; and is overly long for the sake of it. I do love the orchestral section in IT however…

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3946 on: September 28, 2021, 11:16:45 PM »
But to me, the opening could be shorter and more concise and the ending can easily be trimmed. It feels like it just takes so long to get going and so long to end. The solo could easily have been streamlined....

The songs this applies to could make a whole double album.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #3947 on: September 28, 2021, 11:26:48 PM »
But to me, the opening could be shorter and more concise and the ending can easily be trimmed. It feels like it just takes so long to get going and so long to end. The solo could easily have been streamlined....

The songs this applies to could make a whole double album.

Haha, true. I think some of them everything fits well - even something new like the Alien - the time seems to just fly by for a nearly 10 minute song. But for Nightmare - I dunno - it just seems a bit clunky. I feel similar about many of the songs in the AA saga too, so maybe we could start our double album there…  ;)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3948 on: September 29, 2021, 06:20:52 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3949 on: September 29, 2021, 06:50:45 AM »

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #3950 on: September 29, 2021, 07:17:25 AM »

I could understand the argument of thinking the solo tradeoff should've gone straight into the final chorus (cutting 10:28-13:20), but I disagree with that too. I think it works fine as it is, because the heavy part adds more variety & the riffs afterward make the transition to the final chorus smoother.

I think ANTR handles its length a lot better than disc 1 of SDOIT, most of TOT, & the Octavarium title track, personally.

TOT I understand, but imagine listening to it intentionally, couldn't be me.
But SDOIT disc 1, when disc 2 exists and it takes 9 minutes to reference Metallica pointlessly? Lmao. And Octavarium is the only epic (next to Illumination Theory) that seems to have sense of direction and structure.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3951 on: September 29, 2021, 08:36:27 AM »

One day I will understand why so many people don't like this section.

I have mixed feelings about that section.  On its own, it is incredible.  As part of IT, structurally, it really shows some incredible songwriting ingenuity.  I understand exactly why it is there and what it is doing, and it is brilliant.  And yet, I'm not always in the mood to deal with the song speeding along at full speed, only to come to a grinding halt and lose all momentum, and then take right off at full speed again.  It is jarring, even though that is intentional and I understand it, and I find that distracting.  To this day, it is hard for me to reconcile those two things.  If I am listening to the song to enjoy and appreciate the songwriting, playing, and structure:  10/10.  If I am listening to have an enjoyable musical experience:  ..."something-less-than-10"/10.  It's hard to explain any better than that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3952 on: September 29, 2021, 12:25:17 PM »
The first few times I heard IT, the orchestral section actually brought me to tears.  As time has gone on though, I have got to the point where the combination of the ambient section and orchestral section are just too long and I just want the song to get back going.  I would never edit it out as it’s part of the song but it has become something I wish wasn’t there or at least was a much shorter break in the song.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3953 on: September 29, 2021, 12:28:38 PM »

Anyone else surprised?  :) :) :)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3954 on: September 29, 2021, 12:48:41 PM »
Stadler, I just now realized that it's Alex Lifeson in your avatar..   :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP