Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 346422 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #3395 on: September 14, 2021, 06:13:06 PM »
I bet the new album sounds like Mangini-era DT.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3396 on: September 14, 2021, 06:17:41 PM »
I was told by a Sony/Inside Out rep they were not sure when or if a new single was being released.

So we are going to have to wait the last 5 weeks with no more music?  :'(

anyone else find it odd how little the band has said about the album and the songwriting process? Feels like there is little PR or interviewing happening vs. the last 4 albums.

My guess is more will come out closer to release.

They started the hype cycle too far in advance. No one's going to get on a three month hype train too much else going on. Should have been two months max.
10 weeks is the standard industry promo cycle.

It depends on the label. Nuclear Blast does not release promos until a week before release. Frontiers Music about 3 weeks. I had Haken “Virus” 3 months ahead of the release date and LTE3 almost 2 months early. It varies for sure.

Aren’t Beast In Black on Nuclear Blast?  The first single for their new album came out on 3rd September and the album does not come out until 29th October.

Yes, Nuclear Blast. I meant full album promos usually a week before release.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3397 on: September 14, 2021, 06:56:02 PM »
I'm just curious to know if there's an instrumental track or not.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #3398 on: September 14, 2021, 07:06:29 PM »

I am actually very curious to know this as well. I think I'll be happier if there is not unless the band has something new to say, which they haven't before. I find that I am plenty satisfied by the average DT song's instrumental passages.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3399 on: September 14, 2021, 07:13:41 PM »
I don't need or even want an explanation, but I have no idea what the heck is involved in a "standard industry promo cycle."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3400 on: September 14, 2021, 07:29:34 PM »

I am actually very curious to know this as well. I think I'll be happier if there is not unless the band has something new to say, which they haven't before. I find that I am plenty satisfied by the average DT song's instrumental passages.

No. But there’s plenty of ear candy.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #3401 on: September 14, 2021, 07:54:14 PM »
Can you even give us a hint as to which album it most resembles ?

I can say with confidence that the album stands alone but scopes their entire career musically.

That is almost hard to fathom. There is so much varied sound and music, how can it all fit? But, I love all the variety, so yay!!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3402 on: September 14, 2021, 07:56:52 PM »
Def don’t need an instrumental on an album with only 7 tracks (yes I know ToT) and I’ll bet the title track has an instrumental section longer than most band’s instrumental songs.

Really don’t want another single because I won’t be able to resist. That would only leave 5 “new” songs.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #3403 on: September 14, 2021, 09:16:13 PM »
Def don’t need an instrumental on an album with only 7 tracks (yes I know ToT) and I’ll bet the title track has an instrumental section longer than most band’s instrumental songs.

Really don’t want another single because I won’t be able to resist. That would only leave 5 “new” songs.

:lol :lol :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3404 on: September 14, 2021, 09:26:26 PM »

Yeah no kidding. DT is the last band in the world who needs to include instrumental tracks on their albums.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3405 on: September 14, 2021, 09:45:09 PM »

No. But there’s plenty of ear candy.

Thank you :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3406 on: September 15, 2021, 01:56:20 AM »
I wonder if there's any hints of Nomacs showing up on this album??  🤘
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #3407 on: September 15, 2021, 02:16:37 AM »
As someone who has actually jammed with Mike Mangini, I find this idea completely silly.

Please tell us more! Interested to hear about big musician playing on a more casual setting.

There's not really that much to tell. It was toward the end of one of his The Grid clinics a few years ago. We were challenged to come up with something in 15 and then we played with Mike for a couple of minutes. As usual I found it a bit difficult to come up with something completely on the spot without any musical context (I play bass), but I settled on a basic pattern and off we went. Mike sounded perfectly natural and spontaneous throughout the whole thing and nothing like you'd expect after reading some of the comments here. I enjoyed it a lot!
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3408 on: September 15, 2021, 02:34:06 AM »

Yeah no kidding. DT is the last band in the world who needs to include instrumental tracks on their albums.

Particularly when Petrucci has not long released his solo instrumental record and then the LTE instrumental double album.

Offline emtee

« Reply #3409 on: September 15, 2021, 03:16:04 AM »
Looking forward to our new AVFTTOTW site design. One day soon, after the album is released, I'll log in and voila...no more skull.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3410 on: September 15, 2021, 04:14:07 AM »
Depending on how it looks i'll probably still use the Dark Blue theme.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3411 on: September 15, 2021, 04:15:24 AM »

In all seriousness, I don't want to do that because, although there are definitely things in the DT-family that it reminds me of, I don't want to color people's perceptions and feed potentially false preconceived notions.

But structurally already I cannot *not* think of Black Clouds. With the giant opener and the epic at the end, three songs living in the 10 minute range and only 7 tracks.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3412 on: September 15, 2021, 06:00:38 AM »

Particularly when Petrucci has not long released his solo instrumental record and then the LTE instrumental double album.

Many of the tracks on JP's new album come off as tone poems, though. Same with his first solo album.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3413 on: September 15, 2021, 06:42:51 AM »

In all seriousness, I don't want to do that because, although there are definitely things in the DT-family that it reminds me of, I don't want to color people's perceptions and feed potentially false preconceived notions.

But structurally already I cannot *not* think of Black Clouds. With the giant opener and the epic at the end, three songs living in the 10 minute range and only 7 tracks.

Have I been missing a bonus track all these years???

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3414 on: September 15, 2021, 07:08:45 AM »

Have I been missing a bonus track all these years???

I Think he meant 7 tracks on the new album.

Though the version of Petrucci singing Wither should count as a bonus!  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKPAM2m4AxA
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3415 on: September 15, 2021, 07:36:18 AM »
I mean obviously the new album has 7 tracks.

Some people need to learn to read  ;D ;D ;D

----

When Black Clouds was announced - I was deflated a bit at reading that it only had 6 tracks. I knew I'd get tired of it very quickly.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #3416 on: September 15, 2021, 08:09:09 AM »
I mean obviously the new album has 7 tracks.

Some people need to learn to read  ;D ;D ;D

----

When Black Clouds was announced - I was deflated a bit at reading that it only had 6 tracks. I knew I'd get tired of it very quickly.

For sure. Particularly after we got A Rite of Passage as a single and as we also knew one of the other tracks was going to round out the AA saga. While I feel The Shattered Fortress is one of the better movements of the suite, it was always going to contain similar riffs etc. to the previous connected songs, rather than be something new and fresh.

Offline Staffador

« Reply #3417 on: September 15, 2021, 08:32:05 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3418 on: September 15, 2021, 08:43:50 AM »
Promotion cycle!!!

Wow, that was a quick 9 minutes.

For those in the know...who is the interviewer? Didn't they use him in another set of videos.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #3419 on: September 15, 2021, 08:48:58 AM »
Promotion cycle!!!

For those in the know...who is the interviewer? Didn't they use him in another set of videos.

Roie Alvin (probably spelling that wrong). He’s the creator of The Prog Report. He is also Petrucci’s PR guy. He may be the PR person for the band as well.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3420 on: September 15, 2021, 09:00:46 AM »
Roie Avin. Cool guy, and Petrucci's PR.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3421 on: September 15, 2021, 09:01:29 AM »
That interview is shorter than most DT songs..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3422 on: September 15, 2021, 09:03:17 AM »
Promotion cycle!!!

Roie Alvin (probably spelling that wrong). He’s the creator of The Prog Report. He is also Petrucci’s PR guy. He may be the PR person for the band as well.

He also interviewed LTE when they were in the studio for LTE 3 last year.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline illusionist

« Reply #3423 on: September 15, 2021, 09:04:56 AM »
I want so badly to see this interview,but i don't want to hear new music till the release.
Are there snippets of the album in there?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3424 on: September 15, 2021, 09:06:49 AM »
I want so badly to see this interview,but i don't want to hear new music till the release.
No

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3425 on: September 15, 2021, 09:10:52 AM »

Bits of The Alien play in the beginning and end of the video but that’s it.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #3426 on: September 15, 2021, 09:51:12 AM »

Start the video at 0:23 seconds in and end it at 9:04 then you won't hear anything. 

Offline illusionist

« Reply #3427 on: September 15, 2021, 09:53:33 AM »
Thanks guys,just watched it.
Interesting that they revisited SFAM before the writing sessions
(or at least that's how i interpreted Jordan's words)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3428 on: September 15, 2021, 10:12:58 AM »
I really didn't get anything out of that interview..   :justjen

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3429 on: September 15, 2021, 10:16:30 AM »
I really didn't get anything out of that interview..   :justjen

:lol

I know, right?

Still, it's good to see them out there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol