Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 348726 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #3360 on: September 13, 2021, 10:29:28 PM »
IIRC, both the Haken album and LTE3 were delayed so that's why they were available so "early" to reviewers.

As for the current promo cycle for DT, it's pretty standard for Inside Out to start promoting their albums 3 months before release. It was the same for DOT and most of their big releases nowadays.

If they continue their usual practice, we should be getting a single quite soon and reviewers should be getting their promo copies too.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3361 on: September 13, 2021, 10:43:37 PM »
IIRC, both the Haken album and LTE3 were delayed so that's why they were available so "early" to reviewers.

As for the current promo cycle for DT, it's pretty standard for Inside Out to start promoting their albums 3 months before release. It was the same for DOT and most of their big releases nowadays.

If they continue their usual practice, we should be getting a single quite soon and reviewers should be getting their promo copies too.

Yes, I recall them being delayed. Looking forward to buying the new DT on cd. Streams are not the same experience, not even close obviously.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3362 on: September 13, 2021, 10:46:02 PM »
This conversation inspired me to dig up this info. Perhaps we can extrapolate a prediction from this or something. :justjen

A View...:
Announcement: 28 Jul (12 weeks before release)
(source: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=54868.msg2794100#msg2794100)
1st single: 13 Aug (10 weeks before release)
Release: 22 Oct

Distance Over Time:
Announcement: implied 3 Nov (16 weeks before release)
(source: closest I could find was https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52696.msg2487649#msg2487649)
1st single: 7 Dec (11 weeks before release)
2nd single: 11 Jan (6 weeks before release)
3rd single: 8 Feb (2 weeks before release)
Release: 22 Feb

The Astonishing:
Announcement: 3 Nov (12 weeks before release)
(source: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44975.0)
1st single: 3 Dec (8 weeks before release)
2nd single: 22 Jan (1 week before release)
Release: 29 Jan

Dream Theater (S/T):
Announcement: 6 Jul (11 weeks before release)
(source: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36530.0)
1st single: 5 Aug (7 weeks before release)
2nd single: 9 Sep (2 weeks before release)
Release: 23 Sep

A Dramatic Turn Of Events:
Announcement: 8 Jun (14 weeks before release)
(source: http://www.msopr.com/press-releases/dream-theater-announce-a-dramatic-turn-of-events/)
1st single: 29 Jun (11 weeks before release)
Release: 13 Sep
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3363 on: September 14, 2021, 12:53:44 AM »
Since JP announced today the majesty 8 strings, I bet on the next single for immediate release to be the song recorded with it :D
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3364 on: September 14, 2021, 12:58:58 AM »
Since JP announced today the majesty 8 strings, I bet on the next single for immediate release to be the song recorded with it :D
Just seen the promo of the 8 string with JP,  it looks beautiful!    :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline dream75

« Reply #3365 on: September 14, 2021, 01:26:39 AM »
I was told by a Sony/Inside Out rep they were not sure when or if a new single was being released.

Inside Out always releases 3 singles… Look Leprous, Neal Morse Band, LTE3 and also D / T
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 01:52:04 AM by dream75 »

Offline illusionist

« Reply #3366 on: September 14, 2021, 02:08:48 AM »

Link?

Offline dream75

« Reply #3367 on: September 14, 2021, 02:17:44 AM »

ATM will not be the new single

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3368 on: September 14, 2021, 02:30:12 AM »

Link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BtTf0tx7tc

Offline JRuless

« Reply #3369 on: September 14, 2021, 02:30:54 AM »
Deleted

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3370 on: September 14, 2021, 02:43:57 AM »

Link?

Thanks DreamerTV!  That guitar looks like something built by NASA.   :coolio :eek
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline illusionist

« Reply #3371 on: September 14, 2021, 02:46:06 AM »

Link?

Thanks!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3372 on: September 14, 2021, 03:24:23 AM »

Yes, I recall them being delayed. Looking forward to buying the new DT on cd. Streams are not the same experience, not even close obviously.

Starting around five years ago, I can not "hear" anymore the differences between CD-quality and hi-res download, but streams still do need to catch up. However, I still largely listen to streaming sites even if I already purchased a hi-res download because I feel like still helping the band earn revenues per listen.  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3373 on: September 14, 2021, 04:16:20 AM »
If I buy an album on Vinyl these days - then Spotify is fine for 'out and about' listening. I'm not that much of a music quality snob to go

" I have to listen to this on CD quality on my £3,000,000 headphones just for walking around outside ".

Luckily a lot of Vinyls on Amazon come with a free MP3 download.

For everything else there's Mastercard Spotify.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #3374 on: September 14, 2021, 05:22:25 AM »
If I buy an album on Vinyl these days - then Spotify is fine for 'out and about' listening. I'm not that much of a music quality snob to go

" I have to listen to this on CD quality on my £3,000,000 headphones just for walking around outside ".

Luckily a lot of Vinyls on Amazon come with a free MP3 download.

For everything else there's Mastercard Spotify.

I follow what you're saying, but luckily for me there isn't much next to Dream Theater, except Pink Floyd. Not even TransAtlantic or Neal Morse comes this close to spend my precious musicmoments on. So if there's only Dream Theater to enjoy, than any vinyl is worth it's price.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #3375 on: September 14, 2021, 06:22:43 AM »

For a second there I was hoping the background music was the new 8 string track LOL. I think it's actually a song on his solo album instead.

Link?

Thanks!

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #3376 on: September 14, 2021, 06:34:23 AM »

For a second there I was hoping the background music was the new 8 string track LOL. I think it's actually a song on his solo album instead.

Link?

Thanks!

Wow... I must be drunk. Somehow I posted my reply in someone else's text box. Anyway:

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3377 on: September 14, 2021, 08:45:35 AM »
It is, it's Temple Of Circadia. The drum sound on there is a giveaway, that is clearly not MM.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline rab7

« Reply #3378 on: September 14, 2021, 02:23:08 PM »
This conversation inspired me to dig up this info. Perhaps we can extrapolate a prediction from this or something. :justjen

A View...:
Announcement: 28 Jul (12 weeks before release)
(source: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=54868.msg2794100#msg2794100)
1st single: 13 Aug (10 weeks before release)
Release: 22 Oct

Distance Over Time:
Announcement: implied 3 Nov (16 weeks before release)
(source: closest I could find was https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52696.msg2487649#msg2487649)
1st single: 7 Dec (11 weeks before release)
2nd single: 11 Jan (6 weeks before release)
3rd single: 8 Feb (2 weeks before release)
Release: 22 Feb

The Astonishing:
Announcement: 3 Nov (12 weeks before release)
(source: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44975.0)
1st single: 3 Dec (8 weeks before release)
2nd single: 22 Jan (1 week before release)
Release: 29 Jan

Dream Theater (S/T):
Announcement: 6 Jul (11 weeks before release)
(source: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36530.0)
1st single: 5 Aug (7 weeks before release)
2nd single: 9 Sep (2 weeks before release)
Release: 23 Sep

A Dramatic Turn Of Events:
Announcement: 8 Jun (14 weeks before release)
(source: http://www.msopr.com/press-releases/dream-theater-announce-a-dramatic-turn-of-events/)
1st single: 29 Jun (11 weeks before release)
Release: 13 Sep

Anything from the Roadrunner era can be ignored, as they're a different company with different ways of promoting things.

It's better to compare this cycle to D/T or any of the recent Inside Out releases like LTE 3 (pretend it's the original release date and not the delayed one) and The Neal Morse Band

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3379 on: September 14, 2021, 02:28:05 PM »
I was told by a Sony/Inside Out rep they were not sure when or if a new single was being released.

So we are going to have to wait the last 5 weeks with no more music?  :'(

anyone else find it odd how little the band has said about the album and the songwriting process? Feels like there is little PR or interviewing happening vs. the last 4 albums.

My guess is more will come out closer to release.

They started the hype cycle too far in advance. No one's going to get on a three month hype train too much else going on. Should have been two months max.
10 weeks is the standard industry promo cycle.

It depends on the label. Nuclear Blast does not release promos until a week before release. Frontiers Music about 3 weeks. I had Haken “Virus” 3 months ahead of the release date and LTE3 almost 2 months early. It varies for sure.

Oh, I know different labels do things differently.  I'm just saying, given what is typical (not to mention how DT normally do things), it doesn't make sense to complain about the new album announcement or first single having been "too early."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3380 on: September 14, 2021, 02:48:00 PM »

anyone else find it odd how little the band has said about the album and the songwriting process? Feels like there is little PR or interviewing happening vs. the last 4 albums.

They started the hype cycle too far in advance. No one's going to get on a three month hype train too much else going on. Should have been two months max.

It depends on the label. Nuclear Blast does not release promos until a week before release. Frontiers Music about 3 weeks. I had Haken “Virus” 3 months ahead of the release date and LTE3 almost 2 months early. It varies for sure.

Oh, I know different labels do things differently.  I'm just saying, given what is typical (not to mention how DT normally do things), it doesn't make sense to complain about the new album announcement or first single having been "too early."

But bosk, you don't understand. I need my content now.

But no in all seriousness I'm sure you're right and figured the timing was normal. But in the era of the internet I'm not sure it's smart. Doing something just because the way it was done is dangerous
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3381 on: September 14, 2021, 03:08:28 PM »
Doing something just because the way it was done is dangerous

Well, yes, in the abstract.  But we aren't talking about foreign policy, or going to the barber for your dentistry needs.  We're just talking about prog metal album promotion. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3382 on: September 14, 2021, 03:15:35 PM »
Doing something just because the way it was done is dangerous

Well, yes, in the abstract.  But we aren't talking about foreign policy, or going to the barber for your dentistry needs.  We're just talking about prog metal album promotion.

Waiting for this album to come out is like waiting in the lobby of a dentist office
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3383 on: September 14, 2021, 03:46:25 PM »
It will be if you're literally counting the days. Distance Over Time feels like it just came out to me.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3384 on: September 14, 2021, 03:54:19 PM »
I feel this forum should have an exclusive on anything that comes next from the new album. You all are such amazing, insightful and intelligent humans. The true DT fans are HERE!!!! You rule!  :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3385 on: September 14, 2021, 03:58:30 PM »
Well we have Bosk and Noxon who know the band personally.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #3386 on: September 14, 2021, 04:02:25 PM »
Can we get some more album reviews from people who've heard it?

Offline impolybius

« Reply #3387 on: September 14, 2021, 04:20:50 PM »

+ one for this! I also wonder where people who've heard the whole album rank The Alien among the other songs:-)

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3388 on: September 14, 2021, 04:37:45 PM »

+ one for this! I also wonder where people who've heard the whole album rank The Alien among the other songs:-)

I love the entire album start to finish, that said, if I wanted to release a single without giving away how truly EPIC the album is I would have chosen The Alien as the first single as well. I love the song but the rest of it is MASSIVE. But that’s only my opinion.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3389 on: September 14, 2021, 04:38:13 PM »

Sure!

***********************SPOILERS BELOW*****************************

My review:  I like it.

:)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3390 on: September 14, 2021, 04:41:22 PM »
Can you even give us a hint as to which album it most resembles ?

Offline Trav86

« Reply #3391 on: September 14, 2021, 04:45:22 PM »

Probably a Dream Theater album.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3392 on: September 14, 2021, 04:49:16 PM »

In all seriousness, I don't want to do that because, although there are definitely things in the DT-family that it reminds me of, I don't want to color people's perceptions and feed potentially false preconceived notions.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3393 on: September 14, 2021, 04:56:58 PM »

I can say with confidence that the album stands alone but scopes their entire career musically.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3394 on: September 14, 2021, 05:25:25 PM »

Aren’t Beast In Black on Nuclear Blast?  The first single for their new album came out on 3rd September and the album does not come out until 29th October.