Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 353929 times)

Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #2940 on: August 18, 2021, 09:40:49 AM »
I stopped ordering the deluxe box sets from Dream Theater with The Astonishing. I really only use the vinyl and those box sets include a bunch of stuff I have no use for. A beanie? A keychain? A certificate that this box set is real?  :lol I'll stick to one of the colored vinyl editions.

Talking of those: is it possible that the label and the band sat down together and talked about what the most boring colors for limited vinyl editions would be? Olive green, brown, grey and a washed out orange? DT is the biggest active prog band (okay, not counting Tool or Muse), why do smaller bands always manage to have better layout and design for their releases  :huh:
Just for the record, there are translucent blue and green versions, each limited to 500 copies and only available in the U.S., if I got it correctly. I went with grey, which fits the album covers' colour palette somehow.
(One that really bugs me: Baroness' Blue Record in bright magenta coloured vinyl. Why, just why?)

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2941 on: August 18, 2021, 12:06:27 PM »
I hope I can say this without issue being that "The Alien" is getting some mixed responses. I personally love this song but I will say this does not in ANY way represent the entire album. This is only 1 of 7 dimensions without giving away the magnitude of what is to come.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 12:13:34 PM by Glasser »

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2942 on: August 18, 2021, 12:18:59 PM »
Good to know.  I really like the song but wouldn’t want an entire album in this vein.  I never thought they would do that but it’s nice to have it confirmed.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2943 on: August 18, 2021, 12:25:28 PM »
I hope I can say this without issue being that "The Alien" is getting some mixed responses. I personally love this song but I will say this does not in ANY way represent the entire album. This is only 1 of 7 dimensions without giving away the magnitude of what is to come.

Insider info? well, I'm ready for the new album, October needs to hurry up and get here.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2944 on: August 18, 2021, 12:39:04 PM »

To be fair, there were mixed reviews on this board too but many have come around. Not me, I understand the brilliance form the get-go.  ;D

So is your name Mike Mangini?  :lol

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #2945 on: August 18, 2021, 01:26:17 PM »

Magnitude huh...

I liked your choice of words. Getting more excited for this album by the day.

Offline illusionist

« Reply #2946 on: August 20, 2021, 03:24:12 AM »
We already know JP used his 8 string guitar for one song.
Do we know how many songs he used his 6 string and 7 string for?
I have a suspicion that the epic called for a 7 string,as in ACOS,or Key to the Imagination.

Offline dream75

« Reply #2947 on: August 20, 2021, 05:15:20 AM »
We already know JP used his 8 string guitar for one song.
Do we know how many songs he used his 6 string and 7 string for?
I have a suspicion that the epic called for a 7 string,as in ACOS,or Key to the Imagination.

In 2-3 songs there is the 7-string guitar and one of these is the epic

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2948 on: August 20, 2021, 10:36:47 AM »
Answering The Call and A View From The Top of the World is 7 string, Awaken the Master is 8, and the rest is 6.

Online Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #2949 on: August 20, 2021, 12:18:52 PM »
Just for the record, there are translucent blue and green versions, each limited to 500 copies and only available in the U.S., if I got it correctly. I went with grey, which fits the album covers' colour palette somehow.
(One that really bugs me: Baroness' Blue Record in bright magenta coloured vinyl. Why, just why?)

I ordered a limited version as well, brown vinyl, gatefold.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2950 on: August 20, 2021, 12:31:49 PM »
I'll only order the deluxe box set if it includes footage of them terraforming other planets.

What if Dream Theater reveals that the deluxe box set includes footage of them terraforming only one planet?  ;)

And what if they're only terraforming Uranus?  :o

-Marc.

It would be very gassy
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #2951 on: August 20, 2021, 01:27:55 PM »
Answering The Call and A View From The Top of the World is 7 string, Awaken the Master is 8, and the rest is 6.

I thought Transcending Time would maybe feature the 8 string guitar too, cause of the spider on the artwork, so no. Alrighty then, can't to hear them all!  :metal

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2952 on: August 20, 2021, 02:12:12 PM »
I'll only order the deluxe box set if it includes footage of them terraforming other planets.

What if Dream Theater reveals that the deluxe box set includes footage of them terraforming only one planet?  ;)

And what if they're only terraforming Uranus?  :o

-Marc.

It would be very gassy
   :rollin
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2953 on: August 28, 2021, 03:03:06 PM »
From FB...I have permission to share.

DT USA had the pleasure of listening to AVFTTOTW in its entirety and we want to share our first impressions with you! 🤯🤘😱🔥😍

Dream Theater soars to new heights with "A View From the Top of the World". The album starts on the same path laid out by DOT and quickly accelerates to new levels. It has everything we love about Dream Theater-- mind-bending riffs, technical virtuosity, emotional solos, jaw-dropping vocals, amazing interplay between JP & JR, otherworldly drums and awesome hooks, all delivered in a tight mix with more bass, and a drum sound that will delight fans.

The album is the perfect marriage of classic DT & the newer sound elements we've come to love, and manages to deliver even more progginess.  We can honestly say that some of these tracks will become catalog favorites for us. Dream Theater has outdone themselves yet again, and prove that after all these years, they are stronger, faster and more inspired than ever. We can't wait for you to hear this album!!

Special shout outs and thank you to Kim at Dream Theater World and Freddy at Inside Out Music.

📸 by Rayon Richards

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2954 on: August 28, 2021, 03:04:25 PM »
:djhef:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2955 on: August 28, 2021, 03:17:29 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2956 on: August 28, 2021, 03:34:19 PM »
I am excited beyond belief now...

Is there more awesome stuff like the "Don't leave me now" section of At Wit's End. And the intro guitar solo of The Alien that is reprised with JLB's vocals at the end "I am the Alien..."?

Those types of sections are what I love about Dream Theater and JP's guitar tone.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2957 on: August 28, 2021, 05:45:27 PM »
While keeping it “DT” they definitely upped their game for sure. Cannot wait to read reactions to it. It gets better with every listen!!!!!!

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #2958 on: August 28, 2021, 05:53:17 PM »
Here are my first impressions: https://blog.yourmajesty.net/2021/08/17/a-view-from-the-top-of-the-world-premieres-impressions/
Yeah I know it's in French but if you use Google translate, you should be able to get through it (or you should be able to understand a few words as 33% of the English words come from the French language ;))
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2959 on: August 28, 2021, 06:14:42 PM »
Glad to hear James has less/or none unnatural effect on the other songs.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2960 on: August 28, 2021, 09:09:58 PM »
Here are my first impressions: https://blog.yourmajesty.net/2021/08/17/a-view-from-the-top-of-the-world-premieres-impressions/
Yeah I know it's in French but if you use Google translate, you should be able to get through it (or you should be able to understand a few words as 33% of the English words come from the French language ;))

Thanks for sharing! I specially liked the last part where you said that, just like with The Alien, Mangini is the winner this time :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2961 on: August 28, 2021, 09:46:28 PM »

The worry for me is that you disliked Distance Over Time and rated this highly, and I love Distance Over Time. Your taste might be different from mine.  :lol

« Reply #2962 on: August 29, 2021, 01:21:27 AM »
I mostly disliked D/T because of the production. As DT USA wrote, A View from the Top of the world is very much in line with what DT did with D/T. I'm pretty sure the album will please those who love D/T but it might appeal to the other fans. I think it will be a less cleaving album than D/T or The Astonishing.
And when I wrote the review I only had a couple of spins so I was not rating this album highly or poorly, I've always been cautious to avoid rating the albums after a few listenings as we all know that many DT albums are growers ;)
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline dream75

« Reply #2963 on: August 29, 2021, 02:40:41 AM »
I mostly disliked D/T because of the production. As DT USA wrote, A View from the Top of the world is very much in line with what DT did with D/T. I'm pretty sure the album will please those who love D/T but it might appeal to the other fans. I think it will be a less cleaving album than D/T or The Astonishing.
And when I wrote the review I only had a couple of spins so I was not rating this album highly or poorly, I've always been cautious to avoid rating the albums after a few listenings as we all know that many DT albums are growers ;)

Hi Damien I'm Daniele 😁 So it gets better after listening to it several times?

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2964 on: August 29, 2021, 02:48:13 AM »
Sounds promising, i really enjoy D/T and The Alien has grown a lot for me. I'm curious about the intensity that we've been hearing, since 70 minutes of music need a little breather, and i like the softer parts of DTs music.

Offline dream75

« Reply #2965 on: August 29, 2021, 03:23:27 AM »
Sounds promising, i really enjoy D/T and The Alien has grown a lot for me. I'm curious about the intensity that we've been hearing, since 70 minutes of music need a little breather, and i like the softer parts of DTs music.

As far as I know there are very few soft parts…

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2966 on: August 29, 2021, 10:09:18 AM »
I loved DoT from the first listen and I loved AVFTTOTW first listen and it’s getting better and better. Being a fan from day one essentially, there have been albums I enjoyed from start to finish and there are others I may have left certain parts out, even full songs on some. The new one for me is start to finish great. I know we all have different preferences with DT’s music but this one is special to me. It shows they still have stones to be overturned and how their songwriting chemistry isn’t “tired”. I don’t see any farewell tours anytime soon.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2967 on: August 29, 2021, 10:35:56 AM »

As far as I know there are very few soft parts…

I think it was Mangini who said the whole album is frantic except for one song :eek
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

« Reply #2968 on: August 29, 2021, 10:52:54 AM »
@dream75: stop stalking me  :lol :lol :lol Anyway, yes it gets better IMO.

@nikatapi: no ballad, a few soft moments but it's really intense.

Offline dream75

« Reply #2969 on: August 29, 2021, 01:18:57 PM »
@dream75: stop stalking me  :lol :lol :lol Anyway, yes it gets better IMO.

@nikatapi: no ballad, a few soft moments but it's really intense.

😁

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2970 on: August 29, 2021, 05:22:37 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2971 on: August 29, 2021, 05:55:21 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2972 on: August 29, 2021, 06:19:33 PM »
Maybe because he rested his voice for a long time and now sounds kinda fresh. To me, sounds promising too for the upcoming tour. Though this all cameo singing a bit slow but still great.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2973 on: August 29, 2021, 06:25:29 PM »
his control and reach seems to be where it should be. that was a perfect rendition of someone his age doing that kind of acrobatics.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #2974 on: August 29, 2021, 10:28:14 PM »
Maybe because he rested his voice for a long time and now sounds kinda fresh. To me, sounds promising too for the upcoming tour. Though this all cameo singing a bit slow but still great.

I think the time off is going to be key for JLB. That and choosing less challenging back catalog songs which I thought it was pretty clear they started doing on the last tour (I could eat my words but I don’t think we’re going to be hearing a lot of I&W and Awake (besides maybe the requisite Pull Me Under and Metropolis).