Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 353988 times)

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #2870 on: August 09, 2021, 11:54:48 PM »
Beatrice, red your post with much interest. Although I’ve not autism myself, I am both through personal life and profession very familair with the spectrum. I can understand what you’re saying, though for me it’s nearly the opposite. I do not have the knowledge to understand songs on a deep level, for me it’s almost all ‘bout the emotion in the track. The more that emotion is regocnizable, the more I love it.

And emotion can come in so many ways, due to the energy (Honor Thy Father), the rytm (Glass Prison), the riff, the melody (Barstool Warrior) or the lyrics (Shattered Fortress).
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #2871 on: August 10, 2021, 02:46:51 AM »
Beatrice, red your post with much interest. Although I’ve not autism myself, I am both through personal life and profession very familair with the spectrum. I can understand what you’re saying, though for me it’s nearly the opposite. I do not have the knowledge to understand songs on a deep level, for me it’s almost all ‘bout the emotion in the track. The more that emotion is regocnizable, the more I love it.

And emotion can come in so many ways, due to the energy (Honor Thy Father), the rytm (Glass Prison), the riff, the melody (Barstool Warrior) or the lyrics (Shattered Fortress).

I try to soak in theory knowledge because I think it's the easiest way I can understand or replicate feelings or ideas, or explore them. I think I'm very "visual" with music, and lots of aspects can make or ruin a song for me; for example, drums orchestration (or just the placement of hits); I have seen comparisons of The Alien teaser to Hypersonic by LTE, and while I understand the comparison (fast shred-y intro bla bla bla), I heavily disagree, the drums in The Alien blow my mind, every hit feels like carefully placed, very colourful brush strokes (cheesy metaphor, haha), and I find it a really interesting and entertaining experience, even in, like, 30 seconds. Nothing of that I can say for the whole LTE album (and I tried liking it).

It's all about the imagery, wether it's a DT song, a Miles Davis piece or a Hans Zimmer soundtrack, they're all different visual experiences. Theory helps me to find names for the stuff I love, or dislike. And if it is one of my heroes talking about his approach to music, that's just a huge bonus, ha. I'm not an emotionless robot either, some songs/bands can make me cry or feel euphoria or more, but the cases aren't many (and it's still related to the visual stuff I mentioned :lol)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2872 on: August 10, 2021, 02:54:02 AM »
The biggest thing about theory for me is that it allows a language that can be used for teaching. You can not teach "feel" but you can approximate understanding with your student if you speak in theoretical language.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2873 on: August 10, 2021, 03:11:46 AM »
The biggest thing about theory for me is that it allows a language that can be used for teaching. You can not teach "feel" but you can approximate understanding with your student if you speak in theoretical language.

In that way it's a bit like spoken languages, huh :justjen
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2874 on: August 10, 2021, 07:01:50 AM »
But with more definitional clarity.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2875 on: August 11, 2021, 06:30:47 AM »
I've listened to the teaser a few times and I have to say this is the best MM's drums have ever sounded.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2876 on: August 11, 2021, 06:49:19 AM »
I've listened to the teaser a few times and I have to say this is the best MM's drums have ever sounded.

On a Dream Theater album at least.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2877 on: August 11, 2021, 02:11:56 PM »
My favourite music related quote is from my favourite musician, and it goes " So you're saying that when I was younger, and wasn't deliberately trying to rip anyone off, my influences somehow showed themselves, but now that I'm older and actually 100% set out to rip someone off, it's either unmistakably my own or sounds like a different artist entirely. Ha ha! Music is dumb". It perfectly encapsulates everything about the subjectivity of music, and the "music is dumb" part is pure art.

:lol  I love that quote.  Who is that from?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2878 on: August 11, 2021, 02:40:27 PM »
OK, that's cool; I'm not here to shit on that, but I don't see why putting it out there that it's not a factor for me is "raining on anyone's parade". 

But that's exactly what you have done, and doubled down on it several times over the course of several pages.  The fact that you "don't see" it misses the point that several people have pointed it out to you, and rather than acknowledge it and move on, you just dug in your heels even further and, seemingly intentionally, just talked past the point by raising nonsequiturs.  As plenty of others pointed out, that does nothing to address the actual points being made in the thread, and only drags down the discussion about the new album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2879 on: August 11, 2021, 02:55:55 PM »
OK, that's cool; I'm not here to shit on that, but I don't see why putting it out there that it's not a factor for me is "raining on anyone's parade". 

But that's exactly what you have done, and doubled down on it several times over the course of several pages.  The fact that you "don't see" it misses the point that several people have pointed it out to you, and rather than acknowledge it and move on, you just dug in your heels even further and, seemingly intentionally, just talked past the point by raising nonsequiturs.  As plenty of others pointed out, that does nothing to address the actual points being made in the thread, and only drags down the discussion about the new album.

Fair enough.  Certainly not intentionally, but it doesn't have to be, I get that.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2880 on: August 11, 2021, 03:01:41 PM »
My favourite music related quote is from my favourite musician, and it goes " So you're saying that when I was younger, and wasn't deliberately trying to rip anyone off, my influences somehow showed themselves, but now that I'm older and actually 100% set out to rip someone off, it's either unmistakably my own or sounds like a different artist entirely. Ha ha! Music is dumb". It perfectly encapsulates everything about the subjectivity of music, and the "music is dumb" part is pure art.

Beatrice can confirm it, but it's Toby Driver (Kayo Dot).

Since she posted it, I've searched. I also thought it was excellent.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2881 on: August 11, 2021, 03:06:52 PM »

Holy crap, I haven't listened to Kayo Dot in YEARS.

i shall remedy that.  Thanks for the reminder!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline the keyboard wizard

Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2883 on: August 11, 2021, 04:28:49 PM »
That's neat, I'll definitely pre-order whatever colored vinyl they offer in the states.

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #2884 on: August 11, 2021, 05:07:55 PM »

Indeed, it's from Toby Driver

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2885 on: August 12, 2021, 01:03:59 AM »
“Digging For A Spark: A View From Inside DTHQ Documentary”

YUSSSSSS!!!!
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2886 on: August 12, 2021, 04:55:38 AM »
I hope there is a Special Edition of the CD version with a DVD. I hope the only way to get any extras is not the super duper mega expensive edition.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #2887 on: August 12, 2021, 05:56:31 AM »
I hope there is a Special Edition of the CD version with a DVD. I hope the only way to get any extras is not the super duper mega expensive edition.
The artbook?  It's $50 and has everything you need.

Offline Imacer

« Reply #2888 on: August 12, 2021, 06:11:31 AM »
The Alien is out in New Zealand, listening to it now

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2889 on: August 12, 2021, 06:42:58 AM »

Well??
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2890 on: August 12, 2021, 06:50:17 AM »

Well??

He's had it on loop the whole time because it's that good.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2891 on: August 12, 2021, 07:07:38 AM »
I listened to the 90 second preview and it sounds really good. Chunky without being uncomfortable. Nice and clear.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #2892 on: August 12, 2021, 08:40:35 AM »

Well??

He's had it on loop the whole time because it's that good.

He got abducted by the alien.

• EB
« Reply #2893 on: August 12, 2021, 09:42:16 AM »
About 4 mins in and it's pretty interesting. First vocal melody sounds almost identical to a melody from Pale Blue Dot. Not sure if that's intentional or not but I'm not sure I like it. I really dig the chorus part. So far it has me pumped.

Also, apparently James wrote the lyrics.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

Offline LordJordan

« Reply #2894 on: August 12, 2021, 09:44:01 PM »
 Out in Italy, already listened 3 times.
Well, strong Distance Over Time vibes but darker (sometimes).
Great vocal lines, powerful drum sound even though I didn't understand most of the rhytmics from Mangini.
Sounds promising, I still need some time to digest but I dig it.
"Step after step, we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living it has become too late."

Former ItalianVoices member (I see you others)

Offline LordJordan

« Reply #2895 on: August 12, 2021, 09:45:33 PM »
First vocal melody sounds almost identical to a melody from Pale Blue Dot.

I think it's more similar to the first verse from Moment of Betrayal
"Step after step, we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living it has become too late."

• EB
« Reply #2896 on: August 13, 2021, 12:21:41 AM »
First vocal melody sounds almost identical to a melody from Pale Blue Dot.

I think it's more similar to the first verse from Moment of Betrayal

YOU’RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT THATS THE VERSE I WAS THINKING OF.  :rollin

Not sure why I attributed that part to PBD.  :facepalm:

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2897 on: August 13, 2021, 12:33:40 AM »
Not a fan of the production of the vocals again and the song overall did little for me. JP's solo was nice, though.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #2898 on: August 13, 2021, 12:47:42 AM »
According to YouTube, James wrote the lyrics to "The Alien".

This means that AVFTTOTW is the band's first album with a James-penned opener, as well as lead single. Furthermore, because "A Fortune In Lies" wasn't written by Dominici, it's also the first to have the opener's lyrics by the band's vocalist. Finally, it's DT's first album since Octavarium without a JP-penned opener.

Pretty sweet, in my opinion.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2899 on: August 13, 2021, 01:54:14 AM »
I preordered on iTunes and I was quite disappointed that there are no "previews" yet for each track.  :lol

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2900 on: August 13, 2021, 02:18:08 AM »
I preordered on iTunes and I was quite disappointed that there are no "previews" yet for each track.  :lol

Patience, grasshopper!  :biggrin:

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #2901 on: August 13, 2021, 09:25:33 AM »
Here's the official pre-order link for the different versions:
https://dream-theater.lnk.to/aviewfromthetopoftheworld

The CD edition on InsideOut's store also includes the downloadable digital version. Pretty cool for us CD buyers.

Offline LordJordan

« Reply #2902 on: August 15, 2021, 02:09:19 PM »
What a silence... The Alien took them all :rollin

Anyway, it grew listening by listening. In my opinion, the best single since I am a fan (post Octavariun).

Needed edit: I just saw the other topic

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2903 on: August 16, 2021, 04:53:20 AM »
Here's the official pre-order link for the different versions:
https://dream-theater.lnk.to/aviewfromthetopoftheworld

The CD edition on InsideOut's store also includes the downloadable digital version. Pretty cool for us CD buyers.

Gonna be annoyed if the only way to get the documentary is on the megabucks version. I just want the deluxe CD and that's it.

Online jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #2904 on: August 16, 2021, 05:02:52 AM »
It's included in the Artbook version as well not just the deluxe boxset.