Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 354010 times)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #2520 on: July 31, 2021, 03:41:10 AM »
After all these years, I'm still amazed at the amount of s*** the guys receive for such a trivial thing as the artwork! Geez, get a life people! That's why I refarined from not only posting but also reading anything on DTF for such a long time. Should have stayed in retirement....Or not.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2521 on: July 31, 2021, 04:02:43 AM »
Regarding Marillions "Somewhere Else":

"The final variant of the cover featuring a tower viewer also known as a coin-operated binoculars was designed by Carl Glover. It is quite similar to that of the Weather Report's compilation album Forecast: Tomorrow. The band had been aware of this but since it occurred by accident they decided not to change anything."

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2522 on: July 31, 2021, 04:27:39 AM »
After all these years, I'm still amazed at the amount of s*** the guys receive for such a trivial thing as the artwork! Geez, get a life people! That's why I refarined from not only posting but also reading anything on DTF for such a long time. Should have stayed in retirement....Or not.

B.Lee

I don't know why discussing the promo material is considered "trivial" when no music from the album is out yet. It seems to me like the reason the promo cycle exists at all is to get people to care about it, & in this case, people just didn't react in the intended way. If they didn't want us to care or thought it didn't matter, they wouldn't have paid money to a professional artist to spend hours of work to produce it, & they wouldn't have made a big countdown towards the revealing of the cover without releasing any music alongside it. With that in mind, I'd say they don't view it as trivial, & that the discussion happening is relevant.

I'm getting flashbacks to the TA album cycle, come to think of it.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #2523 on: July 31, 2021, 04:31:58 AM »

B.Lee

Couldn’t agree more mate. I’ve been here for years, and it’s the exact sort of thing that keeps me away for long periods too. Like someone else stated, it’s fine if it’s just not your cup of tea and you articulate that respectfully. But the way some of the negativity comes across, some of the disrespectful artwork and comments are put out there, just screams a pretentiousness that I don’t want part of. Particularly when talking about a band who has given me so much music to love over the years..

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2524 on: July 31, 2021, 05:04:31 AM »
Relax guys, no need to get all angry because some of us don't like Hugh Syme's art. In the end it's the music that matters.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #2525 on: July 31, 2021, 05:44:20 AM »
Personally, I'm really liking this album cover. I think it's pretty and everything comes together nicely. Honestly, I wouldn't even be able to tell that it's based upon a stock photo if I hadn't seen people here posting images of the photo it's based on.

Online geeeemo

« Reply #2526 on: July 31, 2021, 07:44:37 AM »
I like it too. I don't know the first thing about graphic design and would never be able  to notice  anything not good about the quality. It's attractive and way more interesting than D/T's cover. In fact, all the art has been very fun and interesting to look at and think about which song it may go with and what or where the little hidden things are.
I don't get annoyed with the nitpicking though. It hasn't been rude (or Bosk would have swooped in). I would imagine that for most, they will like it.
Speaking of looking at it, I noticed yesterday 2 orbs, circles in the top right. One within the other. Just made me think how they keep the circles in the art.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2527 on: July 31, 2021, 08:16:46 AM »
Relax guys, no need to get all angry because some of us don't like Hugh Syme's art. In the end it's the music that matters.

Of course it is, hopefully. Yet, the endless discussion about how bad the artwork is irks me. You have the right to think it is obviously, but some here are seemingly trying to convince everyone it is while some think it's good.

On a side note, I will refrain from listening to anything that'll be released before the album itself is. Will be difficult. lol

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2528 on: July 31, 2021, 08:25:01 AM »
This is what happens when the band doesn't release a song along with the album art and tracklist.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2529 on: July 31, 2021, 08:40:02 AM »

Of course it is, hopefully. Yet, the endless discussion about how bad the artwork is irks me. You have the right to think it is obviously, but some here are seemingly trying to convince everyone it is while some think it's good.

On a side note, I will refrain from listening to anything that'll be released before the album itself is. Will be difficult. lol

B.Lee

I think it's the natural evolution of fandom in a bands career. Being a Rush fan, I was there when the main message board was The National Midnight Star which then morphed into Counterparts Message Board. Over time you would hear fans increasingly bitch about everything I see here about DT.
I like the artwork (who cares how it is pieced together) and I will probably love the music, which includes the orchestral part they have in AVFTTOTW (which some of of the members of this board are most assuredly  prepared to skip over)  :)

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #2530 on: July 31, 2021, 08:48:14 AM »
Personally speaking I think the artwork is amazing.. I don't know who mentioned it in this thread but the artwork also reminds me to those of the older albums such as IAW and Awake but with a more modern approach. I don't mind the huge shoes in the top left as it is a clear reference to the Sleeping Giant song.

I'm very very hyped by the song titles as they are something I've honestly never associated with DT, but more like Haken.. I imagine a concept Octavarium-style album which revolves on the concept of detachment from the common world we are used to. Which is a very interesting theme considering what the world is going through in these times.. It transmits me the "life on Earth seems long and everlasting for us, but from a nature and the universe's standpoint it's nothing" vibe which is a theme I was really thinking about during these times..

(also TOWHTSTS is an amazing song IMHO) ;D

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2531 on: July 31, 2021, 08:56:14 AM »
As I mentioned earlier, I’m just happy that the band makes the effort to commission so much artwork with their albums, not just the cover but all the additional pieces to accompany the individual songs.  So few bands do this and I like having all the artwork. 

I don’t know if Hugh Syme has different tiers of artwork for different prices but maybe DT just pay for the lower end as they are paying for so many pieces and therefore you’re not going to get a totally original new piece of art.

I don’t think the cover will leap out at you in a record store in the way that D/T cover did (I thought that was an excellent cover) but I like it just fine and can’t wait to start hearing some music.

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #2532 on: July 31, 2021, 09:10:21 AM »
Finally promising track lengths, hope we get the best DT album since ADTOE.

This very well might be the case, provided that those longer songs aren't filled with filler material (solos and sounds not correlated to the rest of the track, e.g., the ending of A New Beginning)
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2533 on: July 31, 2021, 09:15:17 AM »
I don't think a majority of the people is angry, most of us are just discussing the artwork. And at the end of the day, that's all it is, a discussion.

We can talk about how we like it or not like it. And the band is aware that people either like it or they don't. And it's fine if they don't like it as much as it is fine if they do like it.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2534 on: July 31, 2021, 09:15:35 AM »
I think I'm even more excited about this album than with D/T. I guess it's because the members themselves are hyped up about it (even more than usual), and that it is mixed and mastered by Andy Sneap. His work with JP and LTE made their respective albums sound great.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2535 on: July 31, 2021, 09:32:05 AM »
 I'm more wondering why people expected something different from Hugh Syme. We all know his style and it's not going to change.

This is straight up High Syme and his style. And it's combining a lot of elements from Dream Theaters past albums that Hugh utilized in those albums.

It's really reminiscent of Black Clouds and Silver linings, now that is one that is straight up a collage of random pictures. I mean, why the elephant painting a picture for Wither... :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2536 on: July 31, 2021, 09:56:31 AM »
I don't think a majority of the people is angry, most of us are just discussing the artwork. And at the end of the day, that's all it is, a discussion.

We can talk about how we like it or not like it. And the band is aware that people either like it or they don't. And it's fine if they don't like it as much as it is fine if they do like it.

But that's the thing, it's not just discussing if they like it or not. Some have called the work, the artist and the band lazy, assuming DT don't care about the artwork, and more.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #2537 on: July 31, 2021, 10:15:29 AM »
Maybe calling Hugh or DT "lazy" is a bit much, but I think the criticism of the artwork is definitely warranted. A lot of folks seem to think that's an attack on the band or the artist, or an attack on the concept (which some may have issue with but that's not what I'm talking about here), but it's really just a matter of the execution and lack of technical prowess in these covers. I think that becomes more relevant when we're accustomed to, not just Photoshop, but photo compositing and all of the editing that entails. Even if you're not technically proficient, I think most can sense when something is a little off, even if they can't quite put their finger on it.

With that being said...

I've never really been one to hold album covers up in high regard. I can certainly appreciate an album cover that really strikes me, but in regards to DT, a lot of them have been "just okay." I will say that I like this cover more than some of the recent ones simply because of the color palette. Like others have stated, it gives off kind of an Octavarium/Dramatic Turn vibe which I dig.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2538 on: July 31, 2021, 10:24:30 AM »
As an electrician, I always find myself walking into restaurants or any other business establishment and noticing whether or not the lights are centered on the hallway, or a pipe is run really weird, or a host of other tiny little things that we are always double checking in my trade.

But only an electrician notices. No one else sees it, or usually cares.

OTOH, while that sentence would seem to defend the idea I’m not going through the extra trouble for stuff that no one but someone from your trade is going to notice, I also see an argument for taking pride in what you’re doing. If you love doing what you’re doing, it should be something that you should walk away from and it looks professional even if no one will notice.

That being said, all I see is a beautiful album cover with gorgeous artwork. But I am not of that trade, so I don’t have the eye to pick out such inconsistencies.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2539 on: July 31, 2021, 10:34:36 AM »
TL;DR: We need a single ASAP :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2540 on: July 31, 2021, 10:37:25 AM »
I think the cover is fine. They've not yet had a cover I especially liked but none I hate either so my expectations were about right.

From the images I've seen I prefer the one with the red plastic 3d thingy and the tour one with the public binocs, esp the former. There's something really fun about that.

But so far so standard. There's more strong reaction to this than I expected.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2541 on: July 31, 2021, 10:58:57 AM »
As an electrician, I always find myself walking into restaurants or any other business establishment and noticing whether or not the lights are centered on the hallway, or a pipe is run really weird, or a host of other tiny little things that we are always double checking in my trade.

Ever since I started working in home remodeling, any time I go to someone's house I totally check out every small detail we might work on for a job... millwork, tile, flooring, cabinets, drywall, painting, decking....
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2542 on: July 31, 2021, 11:17:43 AM »
The album cover looks great but keeps me in suspense.  I really want to ascend from that view and see the grande scheme of things over the edge of that cliff. 
It also makes me feel restless wondering if that rock is ever going break loose and complete it's journey downward. Perhaps waking up the sleeping giant?   :eek
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2543 on: July 31, 2021, 12:20:40 PM »
TL;DR: We need a single ASAP :lol

I'm guessing it'll be The Alien. I would like to hear Invisible Monster though.

Offline Seppe76

« Reply #2544 on: July 31, 2021, 12:24:32 PM »
In my opinion the first single will be Invisible Monster or Transcending Time

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2545 on: July 31, 2021, 12:24:57 PM »
I think I'm even more excited about this album than with D/T. I guess it's because the members themselves are hyped up about it (even more than usual), and that it is mixed and mastered by Andy Sneap. His work with JP and LTE made their respective albums sound great.

Not to be a party pooper but Andy didn't work on LTE3 I think

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2546 on: July 31, 2021, 12:44:26 PM »
Ah I must be thinking of another one then. The newest Priest album?

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2547 on: July 31, 2021, 12:51:08 PM »
The only time I ever had an issue with Syme’s work was when watermarks were left visible on some of the booklet artwork for DT12. Other than that, I am usually a fan of what he’s put together for DT. I often find myself liking the booklet art more than what DT chooses for the covers through.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline TM172003

« Reply #2548 on: July 31, 2021, 12:51:53 PM »
Ah I must be thinking of another one then. The newest Priest album?
That’s the one.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #2551 on: July 31, 2021, 06:57:43 PM »
A 3D View From the Top of the 3D World + Hugh Syme's Fury

:rollin I love this post.

Would "Hugh Syme's Fury" be the bonus disc where Dream Theater goes a step further in the heaviness and makes hardcore metal songs in the style of bands like Between the Buried and Me?

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2552 on: July 31, 2021, 07:30:14 PM »
Unlike in the '70's, I could care less about artwork anymore. It's all (AND ONLY) about the music for me any longer!

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2553 on: July 31, 2021, 08:00:19 PM »

But only an electrician notices. No one else sees it, or usually cares.

OTOH, while that sentence would seem to defend the idea I’m not going through the extra trouble for stuff that no one but someone from your trade is going to notice, I also see an argument for taking pride in what you’re doing. If you love doing what you’re doing, it should be something that you should walk away from and it looks professional even if no one will notice.

That being said, all I see is a beautiful album cover with gorgeous artwork. But I am not of that trade, so I don’t have the eye to pick out such inconsistencies.

But on the internet everyone is an expert in all things.   :lol

It reminded me of discussions about COVID-19, where 9 out of 10 people are experts in epidemiology (and actually have a deplorable knowledge of basic biology - I'm a biologist  :biggrin:).

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #2554 on: July 31, 2021, 08:26:59 PM »

I couldn’t care less if you don’t like it, but there are better ways for people to articulate that. Most people are great, but then there are a bunch of comments which are childish and lame. It’s almost like the minute DT put out a Syme cover, there’s this thing where instead of saying “that’s overall pretty cool”, or “I’m not feeling this one as much”, they are like “here we go again with Syme, what can we find that’s wrong”. They’ll get out a microscope and nitpick every fucking detail. It’s like “Hugh Syme has got form of missing the last half centimetre of a shadow, so I’d better check every shadow on this new album art”. And if they find something off the size of a bees dick, they are the first to get on the forum and say “see, see, I told you so, man that guy is lazy hahaha”, like there is some prize at the end of it all. Sorry man, but that’s just bullshit.