Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 353960 times)

Offline MarkFitDT

Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #2345 on: July 28, 2021, 03:29:50 PM »
Not really impressed with the title.  No points for originality.  And the view?  All I see is a bunch of rock and boots that are way too big.  ???

All of this.

I must admit that im surprised by that  ;)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2346 on: July 28, 2021, 03:33:47 PM »
Looks cool now we just get to wait three more months shouldn't be too bad though I figure we'll get a single or two beforehand

Not really impressed with the title.  No points for originality.  And the view?  All I see is a bunch of rock and boots that are way too big.  ???

All of this.

Not that it's groundbreaking or anything but but not sure about the downer angle. Octavarium was a fake word and the album art was balls clacking over a field. Turns out in context it was evocative/appropriate and it's one of the more iconic DT covers/books because of the symbolism. Realistically we can't expect this to turn out the same but there's some cool imagery and the vibe is very peaceful with dark/myserious undertones. It's meant to go with a piece of music seems early to judge so harshly.

The spider on top of the boot is weird though thank god that isn't on the main cover

Don't worry. I've found DT's album art to be one of the least impressive aspects of their discography, aside from a few exceptions.
The only one I really like is Awake, but even that one is too busy. 8vm art was fine, but nothing to write home about. It fit the concept though.
Octavarium is still a cooler title than the new album's title.
The music is mostly all I care about, anyway. Doesn't change my agreement about the art and title coming off as lacking creativity or originality.
and the shoes.... the shoes! Totally sticks out, no depth perception.

If it makes you feel better, the new album's art is wayyyy better than DT12's

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2347 on: July 28, 2021, 03:35:05 PM »

All of this.

I must admit that im surprised by that  ;)

:lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2348 on: July 28, 2021, 03:36:53 PM »
The only problem with the title is that we will have to type AVFTTOTW forever.  :facepalm:  :lol

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2349 on: July 28, 2021, 03:38:10 PM »
I love the all the art and the cover.  I get sick of seeing Eddies, skulls, and all manner of stuff I don't care to look at. This is interesting and much better than the D/T art. I find myself already thinking about the different songs and pictures. Which goes with what, what does it mean, etc. The red ball and the ant? What happened with the burning house? That boy covering his ears and all the rest in that pic. (which instantly reminds me of what my 20 y/o son is going through with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Major Depression Disorder - that really is his life  :'()

I am super excited! I have 3 DT concerts on the way, and in addition, I wasn't around when the Christmas one came out that they just released in the Lost not Forgotten Archives, so I have been all over that and it's almost like new music.  All in all, some great DT excitement flowing here.  :metal

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2350 on: July 28, 2021, 03:38:24 PM »
I think we can all agree, they could have a picture of a pile of horse manure as their album cover, and it would still be better than the album art for WDaDU.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2351 on: July 28, 2021, 03:38:43 PM »
Somebody may have already posted this (lot's of chatter) but ADTOE and AVFTTOTW have the same cadence and syllables. 8

Coincidence?

"dramatic turn" and "view from the top" don't have the same cadence at all.

I hear "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" as a two-note pick-up of "A Dra-" with the downbeat on "Ma", going into 5-beat measure of "-matic Turn Of E-" and landing on a downbeat of "-vents", whereas "A View From The Top Of The World" just has "A" as a pick-up into the downbeat of "View", where it rolls off in two triplets (or a 6/8 measure) ending on "World" as another downbeat.

-Marc.

I'd include "Top" as a downbeat too, but apart from that I agree.

Even Dream Theater's album titles are highly technical! :neverusethis:

I did think about that after I posted it. It's very fun to say, rhythmically speaking. "A View From The Top Of The World".

The only problem with the title is that we will have to type AVFTTOTW forever.  :facepalm:  :lol

I suggest that we shorten the abbreviation to just AV and get on with it. Just gotta make sure no one tries to confuse it with 8V.  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2352 on: July 28, 2021, 03:41:59 PM »
I love the all the art and the cover.  I get sick of seeing Eddies, skulls, and all manner of stuff I don't care to look at. This is interesting and much better than the D/T art. I find myself already thinking about the different songs and pictures. Which goes with what, what does it mean, etc. The red ball and the ant? What happened with the burning house? That boy covering his ears and all the rest in that pic. (which instantly reminds me of what my 20 y/o son is going through with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Major Depression Disorder - that really is his life  :'()

I am super excited! I have 3 DT concerts on the way, and in addition, I wasn't around when the Christmas one came out that they just released in the Lost not Forgotten Archives, so I have been all over that and it's almost like new music.  All in all, some great DT excitement flowing here.  :metal

There's a lot more to album art out there than what most metal bands put out. Leads me to believe most metal musicians have a narrow scope with their art, because they feel they HAVE to fall back on being, looking, and sounding as metal as possible. Even in prog metal.
Granted, DT's album art is some of the least metal looking album art, so I give them props for that, so in the context of metal, it's refreshing I suppose.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2353 on: July 28, 2021, 03:47:55 PM »
I'll probably abbreviate it as AVF or TOTW, no way I'm going to use all the letters.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2354 on: July 28, 2021, 04:21:06 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that the track time for Invisible Monster in the announcement is different from the one in the promo videos? (6:02 in the vids, 6:31 in the announcement)

I'm wondering if this was just a typo or if they added a section to it between when the vids were made & now.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2355 on: July 28, 2021, 04:23:15 PM »
Maybe it's a.... radio edit.  :laugh:

I'll be here all week.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2356 on: July 28, 2021, 04:29:27 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that the track time for Invisible Monster in the announcement is different from the one in the promo videos? (6:02 in the vids, 6:31 in the announcement)

I'm wondering if this was just a typo or if they added a section to it between when the vids were made & now.

Perhaps noxon got preliminary information on track times for the teasers before the final album was finished mixing and mastering? Sometimes track times change in the final months even to the point that album artwork prints don't quite match the final product.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2357 on: July 28, 2021, 04:40:56 PM »

It was the invisible section...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jsbru

« Reply #2358 on: July 28, 2021, 04:44:16 PM »
I am still very excited for the album, but I wasn't expecting late October :S. Oh well. And considering that we kinda already knew a lot of info, today's announcement with no single was a bit... meh? *insert Yoda saying Patience xD*

Yup.  That's how I feel.  Call me when there's a single!  This is just teasing me.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #2359 on: July 28, 2021, 04:44:39 PM »
So with this album (not including the Christmas single), this lineup has recorded a total of 69 songs   :hat

Offline jsbru

« Reply #2360 on: July 28, 2021, 04:46:21 PM »
I'll probably abbreviate it as AVF or TOTW, no way I'm going to use all the letters.

We should just decide now that the official abbreviation for it is "View."
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2361 on: July 28, 2021, 04:46:49 PM »
My script included the correct time, the video editor goofed. If you look at the fifth video it has the correct time.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2362 on: July 28, 2021, 04:53:10 PM »
My script included the correct time, the video editor goofed. If you look at the fifth video it has the correct time.

Thanks for the clarification! So then we should expect the final album to have these legnths, and I'm assuming the double vinyl will be divided as such:
Side 1 (17:07)
1. The Alien (9:32)
2. Answering The Call (7:35)
Side 2 (16:36)
3. Invisible Monster (6:31)
4. Sleeping Giant (10:05)
Side 3 (16:12)
5. Transcending Time (6:25)
6. Awaken The Master (9:47)
Side 4 (20:24)
7. A View From The Top Of The World (20:24)
LP 1 - 33:43, LP 2 - 36:36
Total Length - 70:19

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2363 on: July 28, 2021, 04:54:24 PM »
So with this album (not including the Christmas single), this lineup has recorded a total of 69 songs   :hat

You're counting the NOMAC tracks and tracks that don't feature all members performing?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2364 on: July 28, 2021, 04:57:02 PM »

I think you missed one, I counted 70.

ADTOE: 9
DT12: 9
TA: 34
D/T: 10
New album: 7
Holiday Spirit: 1

You're counting the NOMAC tracks and tracks that don't feature all members performing?

IIRC, Jordan recorded them with some of his tech.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2365 on: July 28, 2021, 04:59:24 PM »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2366 on: July 28, 2021, 05:00:29 PM »

Not counting the Xmas single means not counting the Xmas single.
One member recording something is not the whole band recording something.

What about the songs on ADTOE that have no drums?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2367 on: July 28, 2021, 05:01:48 PM »

I think you're overthinking what was just a simple dumb joke, bud.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2368 on: July 28, 2021, 05:02:42 PM »

I think you're overthinking what was just a simple dumb joke, bud.

I, too, was being facetious.
Rat Shit Bat Shit Dirty Old Twat. 69 Assholes Tied in a Knot. Hooray! Lizard Shit! Fuck!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2369 on: July 28, 2021, 05:05:21 PM »

:rollin I read including the christmas single :facepalm: my bad

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2370 on: July 28, 2021, 05:07:17 PM »
Sometimes making a joke here is like a train wreck.

:corn

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2371 on: July 28, 2021, 05:10:30 PM »
Lose the giant shoes, and the album cover's great. The image of that tower viewer on the precarious disconnected rock is powerful enough on its own, I think. Otherwise, looks good. We've had big open skies in three of the last four albums too, so on one hand maybe a sunset color would have set it apart more, but it looks great with the blue sky too.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2372 on: July 28, 2021, 05:11:16 PM »
Sometimes making a joke here is like a train wreck.

:corn

In Soviet America, jokes aren't funny unless everyone gets them.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2373 on: July 28, 2021, 05:18:22 PM »
So is that Jack with the giant??

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #2374 on: July 28, 2021, 05:24:30 PM »
How about A...W?

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2375 on: July 28, 2021, 05:43:53 PM »
I’ve seen some comments about the big shoes that make me think people don’t get that they’re supposed to be the sleeping giant’s shoes.

How about A...W?

I’m gonna rehash the D/T debate by suggesting View/World (get it? View on top of world?).
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2376 on: July 28, 2021, 05:49:09 PM »
DT15 would also work.

It annoys me all the weird ways people abbreviate Octavarium.

8M. 8VM. 8VIUM. 8VARIUM

OCT will do.

Also it puts an end to that one guys theory that since Mangini joined - they've had DT in album titles in that order. Even though The Astonishing has no D .

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2377 on: July 28, 2021, 05:56:54 PM »

8M. 8VIUM. 8VARIUM

I have literally not once seen any of these before.

I go 8V. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2378 on: July 28, 2021, 06:02:43 PM »

8M. 8VIUM. 8VARIUM

I have literally not once seen any of these before.

I go 8V. ;D

I just post this picture
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2379 on: July 28, 2021, 06:03:25 PM »
 :lol

Uh, I could've had one!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol