Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 353995 times)

Offline Untethered Angel

Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #2310 on: July 28, 2021, 11:35:20 AM »
I got my ticket for the Toronto show!!!

Already?? I’m trying to get my tickets for the Mesa show, first show of the tour, but they’re not available yet. Is there a ticket presale going on right now that I don’t know about? I’m so excited that shows are back!!!

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #2311 on: July 28, 2021, 11:37:14 AM »
I suppose if there was going to be a bonus edition with a behind the scenes making of documentary they would have announced that too right?

I am 99% certain there is going to be a behind the scenes video of some sort, as I remember JP saying they had a camera man filming them during the writing sessions. I can't remember where I heard this (maybe the Chris Jericho podcast?) but I'm sure someone else does!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2312 on: July 28, 2021, 11:39:55 AM »

Already?? I’m trying to get my tickets for the Mesa show, first show of the tour, but they’re not available yet. Is there a ticket presale going on right now that I don’t know about? I’m so excited that shows are back!!!

On the ticketmaster website.

Offline lightbug

« Reply #2313 on: July 28, 2021, 11:43:22 AM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2314 on: July 28, 2021, 11:48:37 AM »

Hey man, I can give you the promotional code for the tickets on the venues website. It's where I bought my tickets.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Untethered Angel

« Reply #2315 on: July 28, 2021, 11:53:15 AM »

Hey man, I can give you the promotional code for the tickets on the venues website. It's where I bought my tickets.

That would be sweet!! I appreciate it!

Offline Untethered Angel

« Reply #2316 on: July 28, 2021, 11:56:57 AM »

Unfortunately the October 23rd show isn’t on Ticketmaster is is only being sold at the venue either in person or on the venu’s website.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2317 on: July 28, 2021, 12:06:55 PM »

I felt mildly creative (and bored).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #2318 on: July 28, 2021, 12:10:09 PM »
I could be reaching here, but after seeing the artwork for the individual songs on the album, I'm starting to think the pictures in the teaser videos which, obviously, represented songs from DT's back catalogue, were supposed to be thematically similar to the songs from the new album. The Dark Eternal Night being similar to Invisible Monster. Bridges in the Sky, Peruvian Skies, and Heaven's Cove being similar AVFTTOTW. Afterlife possibly being similar to The Alien. I'm not saying musically similar, just thematically similar in the imagery of the song titles and/or lyrical content. Not sure what that spider is supposed to represent, but it can't be a coincidence that one of the teaser images was for Caught in a Web.

You've got a very interesting point of view. Would be awesome and Dream Theater-like to make all these lines to tracks in the past, and the teaser photo's indeed felt like it. I do wonder if they will be 'recognizable' (is that even an English word?) in riffs and / or chords and lyrics as well.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2319 on: July 28, 2021, 12:14:27 PM »

That would be sweet!! I appreciate it!

Sent a PM... :tup
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2320 on: July 28, 2021, 12:15:07 PM »

I felt mildly creative (and bored).

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2321 on: July 28, 2021, 12:16:44 PM »
I could be reaching here, but after seeing the artwork for the individual songs on the album, I'm starting to think the pictures in the teaser videos which, obviously, represented songs from DT's back catalogue, were supposed to be thematically similar to the songs from the new album. The Dark Eternal Night being similar to Invisible Monster. Bridges in the Sky, Peruvian Skies, and Heaven's Cove being similar AVFTTOTW. Afterlife possibly being similar to The Alien. I'm not saying musically similar, just thematically similar in the imagery of the song titles and/or lyrical content. Not sure what that spider is supposed to represent, but it can't be a coincidence that one of the teaser images was for Caught in a Web.

You've got a very interesting point of view. Would be awesome and Dream Theater-like to make all these lines to tracks in the past, and the teaser photo's indeed felt like it. I do wonder if they will be 'recognizable' (is that even an English word?) in riffs and / or chords and lyrics as well.
I was thinking more along the lines of the fanclub making those connections when creating the teasers rather than the band actually constructing the songs with that in mind.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2322 on: July 28, 2021, 12:17:54 PM »

The Mesa Arts Center, where the Ikeda Theater is located, handles their own ticketing.

Now that I reminisce....I find it funny how they're coming back here on the first stop of the tour, as it was where I last saw them too.  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2323 on: July 28, 2021, 12:21:49 PM »
I like the album cover, the title and the song titles! I'm irrationally positive about this album and that I will love it at least more than d/t and the self titled  ;D

Someone willing to associate all the images to the song titles? I would assume that those artworks will be in the booklet and the lyrics will be printed upon them.

We see that kind of airship / balloon, what if the view from the top of the world is the one you get from actually flying and the song - given also the snippet of the lyrics - is about flight exploration? maybe a mythical story about someone taking to the sky to discover new worlds or whatever...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2324 on: July 28, 2021, 12:27:50 PM »
I like the album cover, the title and the song titles! I'm irrationally positive about this album and that I will love it at least more than d/t and the self titled  ;D

Someone willing to associate all the images to the song titles? I would assume that those artworks will be in the booklet and the lyrics will be printed upon them.

We see that kind of airship / balloon, what if the view from the top of the world is the one you get from actually flying and the song - given also the snippet of the lyrics - is about flight exploration? maybe a mythical story about someone taking to the sky to discover new worlds or whatever...

The Space Station.  :biggrin:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2325 on: July 28, 2021, 12:33:02 PM »

Sure, I'll have a go at it.

"The Alien"

"Answering The Call"

"Invisible Monster"

"Sleeping Giant"

"Transcending Time"

"Awaken The Master"

"A View From The Top Of The World"

There's more art than there are songs, so who knows how it'll work out in the final booklet, though given the length of the epic, it'll probably cover two or more of these pieces for its lyrics.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Untethered Angel

« Reply #2326 on: July 28, 2021, 12:37:17 PM »

The Mesa Arts Center, where the Ikeda Theater is located, handles their own ticketing.

Now that I reminisce....I find it funny how they're coming back here on the first stop of the tour, as it was where I last saw them too.  :lol

I was at that show too back in 2019. Sounded great! That’s for the PM I just ordered my tickets and I’m excited!!

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #2327 on: July 28, 2021, 12:50:08 PM »
The album cover doesn't have green as the main color like I've been hoping for all these years. 0/10, worst album. You don't have to listen to an album to review it!

Okay, all joking aside, I really like this album cover. Much better than their previous album cover art for Distance Over Time, which was too simple and felt like it didn't necessarily fit with the album itself (on it's own, DOT's album art is still good, though).

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2328 on: July 28, 2021, 12:53:42 PM »
@The Letter M: interesting, you might be right. Actually the photo you associated with Answering the Call is the one that made me think about the title track, and that maybe it was all a metaphor ridden song (like Illumination Theory) about exploration in a fantasy or mythical world.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2329 on: July 28, 2021, 12:58:47 PM »
@The Letter M: interesting, you might be right. Actually the photo you associated with Answering the Call is the one that made me think about the title track, and that maybe it was all a metaphor ridden song (like Illumination Theory) about exploration in a fantasy or mythical world.

I just thought "Answering The Call" was a reference to the story telling models where a protagonist answers a call to action and adventure, so of the remaining pieces to pick from, the blimp-ship felt the most adventurous. I also considered the burning house/field for "Answering The Call" as well as it gave me Fullmetal Alchemist vibes.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2330 on: July 28, 2021, 01:04:31 PM »

I was at that show too back in 2019. Sounded great! That’s for the PM I just ordered my tickets and I’m excited!!

:tup

It really did sound good. I only went because it's the closest to me and they were going to play At Wit's End.  :biggrin:

I am glad I got score some great seats this time. The new album title, the song titles, and the artwork all got me pumped that I am glad I went to that show last time. The only way I found out was because they emailed me about the pre-sale. If I didn't go to that show, I would've known today and wouldn't have been able to snatch those seats until the general sale on August 2nd.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2331 on: July 28, 2021, 01:29:27 PM »
Totally excited about the new album! But I must say that I found the artwork of the tour much more captivating.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2332 on: July 28, 2021, 02:17:02 PM »
I hope there is a special edition of the album with a dvd and alternative artwork a la Systematic Chaos.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2333 on: July 28, 2021, 02:40:12 PM »
The album cover doesn't have green as the main color like I've been hoping for all these years. 0/10, worst album. You don't have to listen to an album to review it!

Octavarium is their "green album". And completely non-coincidentally, it's their best one.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2334 on: July 28, 2021, 02:41:22 PM »
Seen on Reddit :rollin

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2335 on: July 28, 2021, 02:52:00 PM »
Somebody may have already posted this (lot's of chatter) but ADTOE and AVFTTOTW have the same cadence and syllables. 8

Coincidence?

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2336 on: July 28, 2021, 02:57:33 PM »
Somebody may have already posted this (lot's of chatter) but ADTOE and AVFTTOTW have the same cadence and syllables. 8

Coincidence?

"dramatic turn" and "view from the top" don't have the same cadence at all.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #2337 on: July 28, 2021, 02:59:07 PM »

Octavarium is their "green album". And completely non-coincidentally, it's their best one.

I see it more as a "light blue album", but yeah, I think it has the most green on any DT album. And coincidentally or not, Octavarium is one of my favorite Dream Theater albums!

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2338 on: July 28, 2021, 03:01:26 PM »

Coincidence?

A Dramatic turn pf Events
A View from the Top of the World

Same amount of syllables. although I agree what you posted doesn't but I am referring to the entirety of the album titles.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2339 on: July 28, 2021, 03:05:14 PM »

Coincidence?

I hear "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" as a two-note pick-up of "A Dra-" with the downbeat on "Ma", going into 5-beat measure of "-matic Turn Of E-" and landing on a downbeat of "-vents", whereas "A View From The Top Of The World" just has "A" as a pick-up into the downbeat of "View", where it rolls off in two triplets (or a 6/8 measure) ending on "World" as another downbeat.

-Marc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2340 on: July 28, 2021, 03:14:30 PM »
Andy Sneap, not bad.

Get a real 127 Hours feel from that cover too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2341 on: July 28, 2021, 03:17:13 PM »
Seen on Reddit :rollin

That.. made me actually laugh out loud!! :rollin

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2342 on: July 28, 2021, 03:20:28 PM »
Not really impressed with the title.  No points for originality.  And the view?  All I see is a bunch of rock and boots that are way too big.  ???

All of this.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2343 on: July 28, 2021, 03:24:38 PM »
Looks cool now we just get to wait three more months shouldn't be too bad though I figure we'll get a single or two beforehand

Not really impressed with the title.  No points for originality.  And the view?  All I see is a bunch of rock and boots that are way too big.  ???

All of this.

Not that it's groundbreaking or anything but but not sure about the downer angle. Octavarium was a fake word and the album art was balls clacking over a field. Turns out in context it was evocative/appropriate and it's one of the more iconic DT covers/books because of the symbolism. Realistically we can't expect this to turn out the same but there's some cool imagery and the vibe is very peaceful with dark/myserious undertones. It's meant to go with a piece of music seems early to judge so harshly.

The spider on top of the boot is weird though thank god that isn't on the main cover
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2344 on: July 28, 2021, 03:28:55 PM »

Coincidence?

I hear "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" as a two-note pick-up of "A Dra-" with the downbeat on "Ma", going into 5-beat measure of "-matic Turn Of E-" and landing on a downbeat of "-vents", whereas "A View From The Top Of The World" just has "A" as a pick-up into the downbeat of "View", where it rolls off in two triplets (or a 6/8 measure) ending on "World" as another downbeat.

-Marc.

I'd include "Top" as a downbeat too, but apart from that I agree.

Even Dream Theater's album titles are highly technical! :neverusethis: