Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 353964 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I don't know anything about them, but really looking forward to the album and tour.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Trav86

Arch Echo is a hell of a band. A lot of people will dig them. I’m a huge fan of them and will not miss bill at all.

Listening to them now for the first time. I guess it’s all instrumental? I like it. More melodic than most of these “progressive metal” bands that are big now.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline MirrorMask

Well, this is the same "fiasco" as with The Astonishing, where the tour dates announcement spoiled the album title. Coordination is not really a thing, uh?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline zappafrank2112

Well, this is the same "fiasco" as with The Astonishing, where the tour dates announcement spoiled the album title. Coordination is not really a thing, uh?

The bigger fiasco with The Astonishing was that it existed in the first place.

Offline zappafrank2112

Photo is legit, I've found another one for another date of the tour
https://wmmr.com/contests/dream-theater-the-met-21/#//

Were you doubting the date itself or just the picture?

B/c all the dates are on DT's FB page.  And The Goodyear Theater in Akron OH (where I'll be going) added them on their FB page.

Offline gzarruk

Which is why they should just make the announcement today, since the info is already spreading anyway.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gzarruk

My excitement is now mixed with some disappointment...sharing 3 hours of music with some other band.   :'(  I am not really surprised, but since I a late to the game I selfishly want only DT at the concert. Of course this also means less selection of material.

I mean, let's just remember that even the "normal tours" can still go up to nearly two hours, which is still a pretty sizable amount of material (plus, we're probably not going to get another anniversary tour, which means that there'd likely be a bit more album variety and the most free space in about six years). We've got to remember that it's been a long time since they last toured, going straight into maximum length shows would be a bit of an unfair trial by fire.

Yeah, the setlist will probably be much more varied than the D/T tour :lol

Hoping for no IAW or SFAM songs this time around (also no AIA, please).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

My excitement is now mixed with some disappointment...sharing 3 hours of music with some other band.   :'(  I am not really surprised, but since I a late to the game I selfishly want only DT at the concert. Of course this also means less selection of material.
I feel for you. But to be honest, I don't believe the Evening With shows that DT's done in the MM-era have ever truly been 3 hours, unless you want to include the 15-20 minute intermission. At most they've been about 2 hours, 45 minutes w/o the intermission.

That said, I'd rather have Evening With shows than a show with an opening band, but what can you do? At the very least, I hope they'll shake up the setlist so that most of their albums get represented and that they'll alternate 4-6 songs between shows like they did on the Dramatic tour.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Ticketmaster has the tour dates up.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/dream-theater-tickets/artist/744581

They better get an announcement up today because according to TM, at least nine of the dates have pre-sales TOMORROW!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 11:13:01 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Enigmachine

Which is why they should just make the announcement today, since the info is already spreading anyway.

It doesn't seem to be the same info (other than the title and a bit of art, but nothing about the musical details of the album itself) that we'd likely be recieving on Wednesday though, so I don't think there'd be much point.

Offline darkshade

With DoT, I listened to the singles A LOT, it really affected the way I listened to the whole album afterwards. It seemed like those songs didn't fit the rest of the album.

I tried something different with a recent release, Haken's Virus. I listened to the three singles only a couple of times out of curiosity and "saved" the rest for when the album came out. It actually worked really well! I was only left with a few memories I had of the songs and they didn't feel worn out when the whole thing was out. Gonna try this with DT15. But it is a lot of self control not to listen the songs over and over, yes. To those who don't suffer anymore, I admire you  :lol

I did that with LTE3, only with the first single. Listened once to hear how they sounded, then forgot about it until the release. Worked like a charm.
With the new NMB album, I'm choosing to wait til it comes out to hear anything. I tried with the newest Transatlantic album, but I sneaked in one quick listen to one of the singles (I forget which) then waited til release day. Again, worked out well.

I definitely developed this habit with new albums recently in the last couple of years, what with the way music is marketed now, and how 3, 4, sometimes 5 singles are released for a new album before it's released, spoiling the new album listen for me. Happened with DoT for me in a lot of ways. I now think those first 3 tracks are some of the worst DT songs and could have been left off (along with Room 237) for a tighter album, something DT rarely, if ever, releases. It doesn't help that I find DoT has no "opener" songs, and for me the album doesn't get going until track 4, not good.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

:lol :clap:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline the_silent_man

I would say DOT at 56 mins is a *very* tight album, by DT standards

Offline darkshade

So the album is called "Top Of The World" ???

:-\
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdDW2CErekM

Offline geeeemo

I feel for you. But to be honest, I don't believe the Evening With shows that DT's done in the MM-era have ever truly been 3 hours, unless you want to include the 15-20 minute intermission. At most they've been about 2 hours, 45 minutes w/o the intermission.

That said, I'd rather have Evening With shows than a show with an opening band, but what can you do? At the very least, I hope they'll shake up the setlist so that most of their albums get represented and that they'll alternate 4-6 songs between shows like they did on the Dramatic tour.

you are right! and it will still be fun!  Now I have to plan how many I can go to!!!

Offline darkshade

I would say DOT at 56 mins is a *very* tight album, by DT standards

Agreed, it's shorter than the average DT album, but it's not tight, it would have to be in the 40-45 minute range for that to be the case IMO, and dropping the aforementioned songs would do that, as I feel you don't miss anything DT hasn't done before cutting those songs out.

Then they could have spent more time on making Pale Blue Dot an awesome epic, or mini epic, instead of the unfinished-sounding product we got.

Offline Enigmachine

Maybe wait until the actual announcement?

Offline darkshade

Maybe wait until the actual announcement?

Tell that to whomever posted the pic of the little guy standing on a telescope, the kind you see on top of skyscrapers.

Offline Dream Team

Your opinion is an even bigger fiasco.

Offline Enigmachine

Tell that to whomever posted the pic of the little guy standing on a telescope, the kind you see on top of skyscrapers.

Many of the tours don't use the album name directly or use it in an altered form, so that's beside the point.

Offline MarkFitDT

nope, we know what the tour is called not the album.

Touring into Infinity, Waking up the World etc weren't the album titles.

Offline jammindude

A venue in Portland has posted on Facebook that Dream Theater will be there with the dates Nov 2-Nov 13….so something is screwy
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Architeuthis

A venue in Portland has posted on Facebook that Dream Theater will be there with the dates Nov 2-Nov 13….so something is screwy
The Ticketmaster site said the Paramount Theater Nov 4th.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dedalus

Many of the tours don't use the album name directly or use it in an altered form, so that's beside the point.

nope, we know what the tour is called not the album.

Touring into Infinity, Waking up the World etc weren't the album titles.

It's good to remember the band's history, for those who don't know it.

Offline Trav86

Facebook shows a Dallas show for Dec. 9th but it’s not on the Ticketmaster site at all. I wonder what’s up with that.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline geeeemo

Seattle Nov 4th.  Should make lots of people happy!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I just got an email from Mesa Arts Center, Dream Theater is playing on October 28th, at 7:30.

I am there. Arch Echo is an added bonus. I hope they decide to play Measure of A Life.

And Dream Theater sets haven't fully been 3 hours long. There's the 15 min intermission added in.

I would hope to see Arch Echo get 30 min. And Dream Theater 2:30. But with the time, it looks like we'll get a 2 hour Dream Theater set.

Damn, now I am mood for a setlist creation playlist time.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Setlist Scotty

Maybe they'll be doing their tour rehearsals there!   :justjen
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Maybe they'll be doing their tour rehearsals there!   :justjen

I offered up my house, but I haven't heard back yet.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline darkshade

What else could the album be called if it's The Top of the World Tour? Sitting On Top of the World? Flying to the Top Of The World? Spinning My Top Of The World?

Online The Letter M

What else could the album be called if it's The Top of the World Tour? Sitting On Top of the World? Flying to the Top Of The World? Spinning My Top Of The World?

I'd assume the album will be named after the closing epic, "A View From The Top Of The World".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline darkshade

I'd assume the album will be named after the closing epic, "A View From The Top Of The World".

-Marc.

Makes sense. Also, longer album title makes sense. I've gone over this before.
Album titles got shorter until 3rd album, then steadily get longer by 5th and 6th, then get shorter until 8th album, then getting longer again, then shorter by 3rd album with new drummer, now they're getting longer again.

Offline RAIN

Well....there is this from a few minutes ago!

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-teases-new-album/

Progressive metal giants DREAM THEATER will reveal the details of their upcoming album on Wednesday, July 28.

The band's fan club has been sharing a series of teasers revealing the lengths and acronyms of all the songs that are set to appear on the follow-up to 2019's "Distance Over Time". They are as follows:

* TA (09:32)
* ATC (07:35)
* IM (06:02)
* SG (10:05)
* TT (06:25)
* ATM (09:47)
* AVFTTOTW (20:24)

Offline Architeuthis

Seattle Nov 4th.  Should make lots of people happy!
Um,, YEAH!   Long overdue.    :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Well....there is this from a few minutes ago!

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-teases-new-album/

Progressive metal giants DREAM THEATER will reveal the details of their upcoming album on Wednesday, July 28.

The band's fan club has been sharing a series of teasers revealing the lengths and acronyms of all the songs that are set to appear on the follow-up to 2019's "Distance Over Time". They are as follows:

* TA (09:32)
* ATC (07:35)
* IM (06:02)
* SG (10:05)
* TT (06:25)
* ATM (09:47)
* AVFTTOTW (20:24)
Yeah, we kinda know… /s