Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 353927 times)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Not to further derail a DT thread, but I will add the following food for thought:

When I look back on my youth, I have fond memories of my father coming home from work, throwing on a pair of head-phones, throwing on a Genesis (or VH or Elton John, etc.) record and literally just jamming out to his heart's content. Now, my father was young (21) when I was born, and these memories fade by the time I'm ten. In fact, like most grown men from his generation, music disappeared completely from his life by the time he was in his mid 30's. And when he did listen to music, it was the music from his youth and nothing else.

As a huge music fan from the moment I was able to form sentences, this always saddened me a bit. Why? You know? Why do people fall out of love with music?

Now, obviously, as a 40 year-old father of 1 (soon to be two), I get it...boy, do I ever.

Sometimes life just, well, life just gets in the way, you know?

I spent the past week in the Outer Banks with my family, and from the driving to the action-packed days at the beach, I had literally zero time to myself. What I did have, however, was a smart-phone and a pair of Aftershockz headphones https://us.aftershokz.com/products/aeropex (can't recommend these enough...seriously). Thanks to those two pieces of tech, I listened to hours and hours of music. One day, I literally listened to 10 hours of Miles Davis, the next, a complete run-through of the Portishead canon.

My point is, degraded sound quality aside, this might be an 'inferior' listening experience, but at least I have it, you know?

If I only listened to music when I had time to sit down in front of my turntable with a pair of good cans (like my father used to), well, I'd probably listen to like 4 records a year...or maybe none at all.

So I'm going to quote this too. I read it this morning.

My parents were about the same age as yours when I was born. My parents always had music going. They had albums and 8 tracks, and we used my parents Columbia House free selections to build up my KISS discog when I was like 10 or 11. They weren't fanatics like us here. But they went to a few concerts..OK I'm talking Johnny Mathis and Barry Manilow.
My father was a school teacher and there was a few years where my mother worked 3-11 (she was a nurse), and my father would grade papers at the kitchen table with the radio on. Every time I see a 70's soft rock or one hit wonders of the 70's compilation, it always brings me back to that time in my life.

I didn't step on a plane from 1999 to 2014. So we drove for all of our vacations. My wife loves Disney so we bought into the Disney Vacation Club. During those years, we drove to Disney usually three times a year, sometimes four, and that includes a half dozen times when my stepson was younger before my kids were born. So we are talking 35+ trips driving from Massachusetts to Florida.

Listen to music on these trips was really the only way I could get through them, especially early on. It would rankle my wife because she thought we should be talking or whatever instead of me having my headphones on.
But after few years, she relented...something she rarely does. I didn't care what she wanted to do when we got there. I'd do anything. But I worked hard, and the day/day and a half ride down while listening to music was MY downtime, it was vital to recharge MY battery, and my wife eventually came to realize it and respect it.

The iPod is the best thing ever. But before that, I used a discman. Before each trip, I would "draft" the CDs that would make the trip. It was an event, like the NFL Draft. There was ceremony to it!

I have always referred to those trips as my most important music listening of each respective year. I could choose Megadeth's discography for one trip, albums from a certain year, or DT bootlegs for another.
Some of the guys might remember this, but one year I made a thread where I asked DTF to create Iron Maiden playlists for me, and there could be no repeat songs..yadayada..there were rules, and it was the fucking coolest thing.

To this day, I'll hear a song or an album, and know the exact spot on the East Coast where I was listening to it.

This–more than anything else, music is the watermark in my memory, and there are albums/songs/lyrics that tether me to nearly every important moment in my life. It's part of why I work so hard to stay engaged, to stay hungry and invested in the music I loved, as well as the current state of things.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Precisely, we sacrifice quality for convenience as people do not have the time for music. Compared to how it was before peoples time was focused and spent on other aspects of survival like work, and kids.

I listen to stuff on Spotify, but if I really want to listen to it, I'll look for the actual album.

But, the best way to listen to music is live. You feel a lot more in the songs being played by the musicians live in front of you, than you do a recording. Recordings are a snapshot in time that musicians try and perfect. Sometimes these musicians are not satisfied with that recording and will do re-recordings.

Living in the moment is accepting that the band is not how they were in that snapshot album. You should not expect that musician, especially a vocalist, to sound the same as on that album live today.

JLB does his best, and even at that, he fluctuates a lot. He does also try to improvise live and likes to do different vocal techniques for certain parts.  Even if I don't like it, I still respect him for trying something different if he wants to spice things up for himself.

I am actually interested in how his vocals will be utilized this time. He did great on D/T.

I agree with you, but (and this is just a 'but,' not a counter-argument or anything), I wonder if people ever had time for music.

Or, more specifically, I wonder if adults with children ever had time for music. That was the point I was making about my Dad. He was born in 57.....he was there for Beatlemania, and all that followed. My grandfather had no use for music.....it was lost on him, and my father rebelled. But by the time he had 4 kids, a full-time job, car payments, and the whole nine, he lost the time for music as well. This was the late-80's, well before Spotify or anything else.

I feel like, if anything, the technology has given us more time for music, and thanks to the tech, we have 'more' time for music than ever before.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Precisely, we sacrifice quality for convenience as people do not have the time for music. Compared to how it was before peoples time was focused and spent on other aspects of survival like work, and kids.

I listen to stuff on Spotify, but if I really want to listen to it, I'll look for the actual album.

But, the best way to listen to music is live. You feel a lot more in the songs being played by the musicians live in front of you, than you do a recording. Recordings are a snapshot in time that musicians try and perfect. Sometimes these musicians are not satisfied with that recording and will do re-recordings.

Living in the moment is accepting that the band is not how they were in that snapshot album. You should not expect that musician, especially a vocalist, to sound the same as on that album live today.

JLB does his best, and even at that, he fluctuates a lot. He does also try to improvise live and likes to do different vocal techniques for certain parts.  Even if I don't like it, I still respect him for trying something different if he wants to spice things up for himself.

I am actually interested in how his vocals will be utilized this time. He did great on D/T.

I agree with you, but (and this is just a 'but,' not a counter-argument or anything), I wonder if people ever had time for music.

Or, more specifically, I wonder if adults with children ever had time for music. That was the point I was making about my Dad. He was born in 57.....he was there for Beatlemania, and all that followed. My grandfather had no use for music.....it was lost on him, and my father rebelled. But by the time he had 4 kids, a full-time job, car payments, and the whole nine, he lost the time for music as well. This was the late-80's, well before Spotify or anything else.

I feel like, if anything, the technology has given us more time for music, and thanks to the tech, we have 'more' time for music than ever before.

Yes they did. Music is incorporated into rituals, ceremonies, and festivities. Music is integral to most cultures and societies. In Native culture, music is how we pray. Music is how we tell our stories. We just don't dance to put on a dance. There is meaning behind the songs, and meanings behind the dances, and meanings to the regalia we wear during those dances.

Music will forever be a part of me. And Live music is where it's at with regards to feeling the full effect and power of music.

Heilung is a great example of music being like this. They do not consider their shows to be shows or concerts, they consider them rituals. And they do not call their fans or followers, fans or followers, they call them brothers and sisters, because we are all in the end brothers and sisters. I find myself treating their shows the same way I treat our dances and songs. They begin their shows with opening ceremonies. Really fascinating band if I do say so myself.

So in TL;DR...People in the current modern society of economic growth and profit gains, do not have the time for music. But other cultures and societies always have time for music, as it is an essential aspect to their lifestyle.

Edit: I also wanted to add to your last point...

I feel that the invention of the technology like Spotify and cellphones are more of a convenience, rather than allowing more time for people to listen to music. It gave people of this society the convenience of listening to music on the go. Before people, either had to set the pin on the record, or go out and see a live show. People always had time for music. But so much is required of us in this current society, music and dance is almost a luxury, and some consider music not worth the precious time that could be spent on work and the kids.

But people still need music and a great example are the black church and how they praise and sing to the lord with Gospel music. Gospel is where the genre of Soul music originated from. Music is also used in the Evangelical churches with the many christian bands.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 05:13:52 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
Well... New video, two more timestamps

TA 09:32
ATC 07:35
IM 06:02
SG 10:05
TT 6:25
ATM 9:47

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
Tiny Tentalces.

Astronomical Titan Manatee

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

Trending Topic

Automatic Teller Machine

Offline evilasiojr

The videos seem to be coming at a two days period, right?!

So if our logic is correct then, two more videos, on Monday and Thursday, and maybe an official announcement on Friday (23/07)? Maybe not because of the LNF release, but it seems we're close to something official.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
One video each 3 days and, yes, it seems the next 2 will be next monday and thursday. I'm hoping that on thursday we’ll see the running times from all the songs of the new album! The album is around 50 minutes until now, so it seems that it will be around 80 minutes in the end. Let's see.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 07:18:19 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline geeeemo

Ten Torpedoes

Ambush the Mourning

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
One video each 3 days and, yes, it seems the next 2 will be next monday and thursday. I'm hoping that on thursday we’ll see the running times from all the songs of the new album! The album is around 50 minutes until now, so it seems that it will be around 80 minutes in the end. Let's see.

Or it will be a double album and the last length revealed will be the longest song, perhaps their second "sidelong" epic of the Mangini era.  :hat :hat

Offline gzarruk

So if our logic is correct then, two more videos, on Monday and Thursday, and maybe an official announcement on Friday (23/07)? Maybe not because of the LNF release, but it seems we're close to something official.

Noxon said there won't be any official announcements untill August, but I do expect something else coming before that. Maybe some snippets? Last time we got a section of Untethered Angel :tup

Or it will be a double album and the last length revealed will be the longest song, perhaps their second "sidelong" epic of the Mangini era.  :hat :hat

:metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
I don't know if I'm thinking too much, but I'll say it anyway: I had the impression that the videos have been released in intervals around 80 hours from each other, which it could already indicate the total time of the album, if we consider that the hours represents minutes (kind of what Captain Kirk did on Wrath of Khan ;D). If this is correct, the next video will be released not on monday, but on tuesday and the last, on friday.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Do you guys read posts in your head in the voice of the person's avatar? I read WilliamMunny's great post in the voice of William Munny. And it was glorious.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dedalus

Do you guys read posts in your head in the voice of the person's avatar? I read WilliamMunny's great post in the voice of William Munny. And it was glorious.

I just read your post imagining a beautiful and emotional guitar solo.  :)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape

It’s a helluva thing writing a post...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Terror Trip

Alter the Machine
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

For years I only read Stadler’s posts in Gene Simmons voice. Now I think it’s stuck there.

The question is, since mine is a mashup, do you hear me as The Dude, or Mr Rogers?  ;D
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape

For years I only read Stadler’s posts in Gene Simmons voice. Now I think it’s stuck there.

The question is, since mine is a mashup, do you hear me as The Dude, or Mr Rogers?  ;D

Wow, after years and years of reading posts, I just now realized that that’s Mr. Rogers’ face—talk about upending a man’s universe!

To answer your question, I’ve watched most (if not all) of the YouTube stuff you’ve posted over the years, so I actually hear your voice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I just hear the wooly sweater.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

To answer your question, I’ve watched most (if not all) of the YouTube stuff you’ve posted over the years, so I actually hear your voice.
Ditto for me. Then again, I've known you since forever.  :biggrin:

As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jammindude

Ditto for me. Then again, I've known you since forever.  :biggrin:

Well, ya. I think you’re the only one here that I regularly interact with IRL. So you don’t count.  :P :laugh:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
I wonder why in the latest video they hid the song length for These Walls in the black keys in the piano picture. It's interesting that they listed the first two tracks in order and then did the rest backwards from 8 - 4.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 11:45:36 AM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I had no idea that was Mr. Rogers. I knew it wasn't JD. I just never looked that closely at it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gzarruk

I wonder why in the latest video they hid the song length for These Walls in the black keys in the piano picture. It's interesting that they listed the first two tracks in order and then did the rest backwards from 8 - 4.

I don't think that's a coincidence at all, and we're probably missing a lot more stuff we haven't noticed yet :eek
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

I was wondering the same and stared at that image for a few minutes thinking "something's wrong here"  :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline pg1067

Well...scrolling through the avatars on this page that are of people, the only two I recognize are a mid-2000s photo of DT and TAC's Fast Times avatar, so...no.  However, I always assume folks look like their avatar pictures.  For the longest time, Stadler was Trevor Horn or Bill Belichik.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That's not a Fast Times avatar!

It's the April 1987 Metal Hammer cover with Helloween's Michael Kiske and Kai Hansen on the cover.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline darkshade

I had no idea that was Mr. Rogers. I knew it wasn't JD. I just never looked that closely at it.

I knew it wasn't Jeff Bridges, but I totally thought it was some other celebrity's face, but could figure out who's.
Now I can't unsee it.

Offline Architeuthis

I went with,
Octavarium
The Astonishing
DT12
Systematic Chaos.

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline IDontNotDoThings

I went with,
Octavarium
The Astonishing
DT12
Systematic Chaos.

You went with those albums... for what, exactly? :huh:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Enigmachine

I went with,
Octavarium
The Astonishing
DT12
Systematic Chaos.

You went with those albums... for what, exactly? :huh:

Prob meant to post in the top four DT albums thread.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory

It's the April 1987 Metal Hammer cover with Helloween's Michael Kiske and Kai Hansen on the cover.

Oh my god, I had that issue!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Well...scrolling through the avatars on this page that are of people, the only two I recognize are a mid-2000s photo of DT and TAC's Fast Times avatar, so...no.  However, I always assume folks look like their avatar pictures.  For the longest time, Stadler was Trevor Horn or Bill Belichik.

:lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa

It’s a helluva thing writing a post...

You take away all the letters, and all the syntax a post will ever have  :hat

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Oh my god, I had that issue!

That issue changed my musical life forever.