Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 346444 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: DT15 in progress. Recording on home stretch.(Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #945 on: March 25, 2021, 06:28:56 AM »
Yeah in terms of style James has moved to a bit of a cringy phase in the past few years.
I think his grey hair looks badass, and he would look great if he kept it this way.

Yup. Was watching the WDADRU DVD the other day and JP looked so cool. Cringy is the right word these days for the skullet, over-the-top beard and James' dyed jet black hair. Oh well it's the music that counts and this new album is sure sounding promising.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #946 on: March 25, 2021, 11:38:19 AM »
My favourite Petrucci look was definitely Budokan.  Short hair and ... can't even remember if he had a goatee or not. Maybe just a bit of chin fluff.

But yeah - he looks pretty silly now.

EDIT : :tup

Maybe He should "The Edge" and just get rid of the hair which only accentuates his big forehead and just wear a beanie from now on.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #947 on: March 25, 2021, 12:53:41 PM »
I find these discussions about DTs looks silly. I don't think DT look any more ridiculous than any other metal band. They are just playing up to a look/brand. They're "rock stars" after all, not working a 9 to 5 office job...

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #948 on: March 25, 2021, 01:37:53 PM »
I like the short hair look. I like the long hair look better. It's all good to me. Jlb black hair look is cool, but he could rock the gray hair better then the others I think.
JP looks good now too with the big beard. I am a woman and he's just hot any which way.  :o

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: March 25, 2021, 01:45:16 PM »
I find these discussions about DTs looks silly. I don't think DT look any more ridiculous than any other metal band. They are just playing up to a look/brand. They're "rock stars" after all, not working a 9 to 5 office job...

I don't agree. I was watching an interview with a band with a friend once and the guitarist goes " i've never taken drugs " and my friend goes Bullshit you're in a band..

As if it's fuckin MANDATORY. You don't HAVE to grow your hair and beard long and dye it jet black. You don't HAVE to get wasted every night and take drugs etc..

You also don't HAVE to wear all black clothes all day every day etc etc...

I saw an interview with one of Alice In Chains where he was like " I knew this life would not be healthy when I started " as if getting fucked up was just what you do.

Why do some people have zero will power ?

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #950 on: March 25, 2021, 02:35:57 PM »
I mean, maybe JP just wants to have a long beard and dye it black... because he thinks it looks neat? I don't get how, just because he kind of embodies sort of a typical metal look, that somehow he feels like he HAS to look like that. Maybe he legit just got bored of his old look and wanted something different, it's hardly comparable to doing drugs or anything of the sort. It's not like his look is something that everyone secretly agrees is bad but he feels like he has to have it cause metal. For all we know, it could very well be the reverse and he did the short hair thing out of pressure to get with that early 00s aesthetic... but again, it also could've been that he legit liked it.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #951 on: March 25, 2021, 02:50:01 PM »
We can at last be sure JP's beard isn't going away anytime soon, as he now has a signature line of beard care products :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #952 on: March 25, 2021, 03:07:14 PM »
Ah yes. Beard shampoo. Beard conditioner. Beard Oil. Beard Combs etc that you keep in a beard handbag.

Yet I drag 4 BLADES over my face every day and i'm not a real man  :hat :hat

:neverusethis:

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #953 on: March 25, 2021, 03:29:03 PM »
All I know is it's really strange seeing JR with hair on his head.  :omg:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: March 25, 2021, 03:43:15 PM »
You mean again !

I liked his long hair around SFAM era.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #955 on: March 25, 2021, 03:54:50 PM »

The music is all that matters in the end, for sure, but I don't agree with your take.  I, like others, find it cringe-worthy to see these guys in their 50's and 60's still sporting the super long hair in the back as their hairlines up top recede.  I mean, if the standard is "Hey, we don't look any more ridiculous than any other metal band," then, bravo, they are succeeding admirably, but at some point there is nothing wrong with having the distinguished, aging look.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #956 on: March 25, 2021, 04:02:54 PM »
When you see those 70 year old guys walking around town with jet black hair - they just look ridiculous. And also the thing is - if their hair was white - nobody would be looking at them.

The same with blokes who wear OBVIOUS hairpieces. Everyone stares and goes " haha wig ".

If they were completely bald - nobody would even look at them.

For me - I don't care about getting a Salt and Pepper head of hair as it really suits some people. If I was thinning badly or receding really noticeably - i'd just get a buzz cut.

I'm not that bothered. Or just do what The Edge does - and shave your head but always wear a beanie !

This :

will ALWAYS look better than THIS :

* - Although to be fair to Travolta - he has ditched the stupid wigs and gone completely bald now...and yes - it looks so much better...

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #957 on: March 25, 2021, 04:22:41 PM »
I mean, maybe JP just wants to have a long beard and dye it black... because he thinks it looks neat? I don't get how, just because he kind of embodies sort of a typical metal look, that somehow he feels like he HAS to look like that. Maybe he legit just got bored of his old look and wanted something different, it's hardly comparable to doing drugs or anything of the sort. It's not like his look is something that everyone secretly agrees is bad but he feels like he has to have it cause metal. For all we know, it could very well be the reverse and he did the short hair thing out of pressure to get with that early 00s aesthetic... but again, it also could've been that he legit liked it.

Totally agree with this. I guess he looks the way he wants to look, same with the other guys. We cannot conclude that they feel compelled to look certain way just because they're in a band.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #958 on: March 25, 2021, 04:30:27 PM »
When you see those 70 year old guys walking around town with jet black hair - they just look ridiculous. And also the thing is - if their hair was white - nobody would be looking at them.

I don't know what you talking about man  :lol

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #959 on: March 25, 2021, 05:03:04 PM »
All I know is it's really strange seeing JR with hair on his head.  :omg:
And he looks better as a result.   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #960 on: March 25, 2021, 05:06:04 PM »

Of course it is.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #961 on: March 25, 2021, 08:04:45 PM »

Of course it is.

Definitely, but there's no real updates to discuss yet, so this is what we have in the meantime :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #962 on: March 25, 2021, 08:40:19 PM »
I will never understand how a bunch of grown men care so much about what other grown men in a band look like.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #963 on: March 25, 2021, 10:23:20 PM »
I will never understand how a bunch of grown men care so much about what other grown men in a band look like.

Offline TM172003

« Reply #964 on: March 26, 2021, 04:11:41 AM »

I know. Imagine moaning about JP’s sick beard looking silly when Lamb of God’s singer has dreadlocks. And he’s white.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #965 on: March 26, 2021, 04:26:43 AM »
And yet another thread turns into a discussion about Petrucci's beard. I love this forum.  :biggrin:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: March 26, 2021, 04:30:17 AM »

I know. Imagine moaning about JP’s sick beard looking silly when Lamb of God’s singer has dreadlocks. And he’s white.

TIL having dreadlocks is " Cultural Appropriation "  ;D ;D

Aren't dreadlocks what happen when you literally never wash or brush your hair like ever ? Which is why Max Cavalera had like one huge fat dreadlock

where his hair was never brushed or washed ?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #967 on: March 26, 2021, 05:37:40 AM »

Talking about it does not necessarily equate to "care so much."  I never even think about it, but when I saw chatter about it, I chimed in with my immediate thought about it and didn't give it a second one after that.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #968 on: March 26, 2021, 05:42:33 AM »

Aren't dreadlocks what happen when you literally never wash or brush your hair like ever ? Which is why Max Cavalera had like one huge fat dreadlock

where his hair was never brushed or washed ?

That's one way.

I've known a lot of people that do it intentionally and actually maintain it, keep it clean, etc.

Talking about it does not necessarily equate to "care so much."  I never even think about it, but when I saw chatter about it, I chimed in with my immediate thought about it and didn't give it a second one after that.

That's fine. I mean, I'm guilty of being like "whoa, X looks pretty cool like that" but when people start to analyze it like it's a teen fashion magazine for 50 year olds, I get a little uneasy.

Offline TM172003

« Reply #969 on: March 26, 2021, 05:52:18 AM »

I never said that, it’s a stupid term. They just look stupid on white people (and yes, I’m white, so don’t bother mentioning racism)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: March 26, 2021, 06:43:53 AM »
I f-ing hate the term " Cultural Appropriation ". Remember when it used to be called Fancy Dress ?  :facepalm:

Everyone gets absolutely furious about everything these days it's ridiculous.

I don't understand how - if a piece of clothing native to a foreign country becomes fashionable - thats RACIST.

This whole Trigger-Fended fad has to end at some point or nobody will be able to say anything ever.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #971 on: March 26, 2021, 07:10:52 AM »
Well, this has gone off the rails somewhat.

So uhhhh...

New DT album, right guys? You know, if the album does get released in September (say, the 24th), we could probably expect (if there's a similar pattern to D/T, with the announcement being up 15 weeks before the album's release and the single about 11 weeks) there to be a full announcement on about 11th of June and a single around the 9th of July. On the other hand, we may have a more prolonged promotion cycle to tide people over. Funnily enough, if James completes his vocal parts by the end of this month, that would mean that the recording process would be in about the same timeframe as Black Clouds and Silver Linings was (October to March) and yet there is probably going to be a 3 month difference in release month between DT15 and Black Clouds, so it'll be interesting to see how they cope with that. I'm also assuming that the mixing/mastering follows a similar length of time, though.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #972 on: March 26, 2021, 07:26:04 AM »
There's no news so we gotta talk about other stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #973 on: March 26, 2021, 07:29:41 AM »
Well, this sounds like something spoken by someone who ONLY CARES ABOUT THE MUSIC.  Which is, of course, fine.

But the guys in the band do not ONLY CARE ABOUT THE MUSIC.  They are professional musicians.  To be successful at their profession, the actual music is only one part of it. 

Another part is marketing.

Another part is, like it or not, image.

How they choose to present themselves, especially if that is anything other than their REAL look, is totally fair game to talk about, IMO. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #974 on: March 26, 2021, 08:04:22 AM »
I mean it might be fair game I guess, but at the same time, it's just one of those things that feels a tad out of place in a thread that isn't really about that, hence the bewilderment with regards to it being not just brought up as an offhand comment, but discussed at length. If I wanted that then I'd be in a thread called "DT's look: love it or hate it?" or something to that degree. It'd be more convenient to those coming into the thread expecting album discussion, speculation or updates and instead getting talk about JP's dyed beard again. I know there's not a lot concrete stuff to work with there, but even guesswork about the album interests me more than this. If that means that this thread isn't active for weeks, then that's no real issue for me because it means that when there is a post, it's more likely to be something relevant.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #975 on: March 26, 2021, 08:40:21 AM »
it's just one of those things that feels a tad out of place in a thread that isn't really about that
???  This is DTF.  Have you ever been here before?  No thread is about what it's about.

:biggrin:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #976 on: March 26, 2021, 08:44:57 AM »
So how about those Green Bay Packers ?!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #977 on: March 26, 2021, 09:06:18 AM »

So uhhhh...

New DT album, right guys? You know, if the album does get released in September (say, the 24th), we could probably expect (if there's a similar pattern to D/T, with the announcement being up 15 weeks before the album's release and the single about 11 weeks) there to be a full announcement on about 11th of June and a single around the 9th of July. On the other hand, we may have a more prolonged promotion cycle to tide people over. Funnily enough, if James completes his vocal parts by the end of this month, that would mean that the recording process would be in about the same timeframe as Black Clouds and Silver Linings was (October to March) and yet there is probably going to be a 3 month difference in release month between DT15 and Black Clouds, so it'll be interesting to see how they cope with that. I'm also assuming that the mixing/mastering follows a similar length of time, though.

Thank you.

I think the September release is a bit too far, considering the album could be already finished (mixed and mastered) by, let's say, the end of April.

There doesn't seem to be a tour anytime soon for them anyway, and Rock in Rio (their only announced date) has been canceled already, so why sit for a few months with the finished album when there's not gonna be an immediate support tour anyway?
TL;DR: I'm hoping it gets released earlier.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #978 on: March 26, 2021, 09:13:47 AM »

So uhhhh...

Thank you.

I think the September release is a bit too far, considering the album could be already finished (mixed and mastered) by, let's say, the end of April.

There doesn't seem to be a tour anytime soon for them anyway, and Rock in Rio (their only announced date) has been canceled already, so why sit for a few months with the finished album when there's not gonna be an immediate support tour anyway?
TL;DR: I'm hoping it gets released earlier.
me too. Well we'll see, yes we shall see. (G minor cadence)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: March 26, 2021, 09:17:16 AM »

me too. Well we'll see, yes we shall see. (G minor cadence)

*Suspended fourth to major third resolution*