Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 346478 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: DT15 in progress. Vocals next. Energetic songs. (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #910 on: March 22, 2021, 05:13:49 AM »
JR Patreon Update: James expecting to finish recording vox at the end of next week.  All other tracks done. Jimmy T will be then doing prep ready for it to be sent off for mixing and mastering.
Good. Good. Thanks very much. I'll add it in, but I will supplement it with an Insta post or the like once James is actually finished. (since it's more openly accessible than Patreon)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #911 on: March 22, 2021, 05:25:20 AM »
Hello everybody,
I was inactive on the forum for a while due to the preparation for my graduation in piano. All I can say is that, IMHO, "lenghty songs" does not necessarily mean that they are 12-14 minutes long. Regarding this "Images and Words" has five songs above 7 minutes, with the longest of them that lasts 11, and they still have an 'energetic feel' that makes them sound like shorter songs. That said, I don't care much if JP takes a 'djenty' approach in the eight-string guitar song, I believe that in any case DT will be able to create something special. Finally, I remember a post who spoke of the JP would be trolling us so that the eight-string guitar is used in a completely clean and mellow context, even in that case the result actually would be pretty cool and innovative.  :angel:

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #912 on: March 22, 2021, 05:32:47 AM »
Hello everybody,
I was inactive on the forum for a while due to the preparation for my graduation in piano. All I can say is that, IMHO, "lenghty songs" does not necessarily mean that they are 12-14 minutes long. Regarding this "Images and Words" has five songs above 7 minutes, with the longest of them that lasts 11, and they still have an 'energetic feel' that makes them sound like shorter songs. That said, I don't care much if JP takes a 'djenty' approach in the eight-string guitar song, I believe that in any case DT will be able to create something special. Finally, I remember a post who spoke of the JP would be trolling us so that the eight-string guitar is used in a completely clean and mellow context, even in that case the result actually would be pretty cool and innovative.  :angel:
Now, I think that John using his 8 melodically would actually be likely, because remember, the guy breathes great melodies. (which is what I love about his playing)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #913 on: March 22, 2021, 05:33:27 AM »
All I can say is that, IMHO, "lenghty songs" does not necessarily mean that they are 12-14 minutes long. Regarding this "Images and Words" has five songs above 7 minutes, with the longest of them that lasts 11, and they still have an 'energetic feel' that makes them sound like shorter songs.

Yeah, good point. Pull Me Under is a "basic" song for their standards, not for nothing it got so much airplay, but it's 8 minutes long in the end. I'm sure we might see at least a 10 minutes song on the new album, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're "long" as the I&W songs, who are relatively normal in length but definitively have so much going on.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #914 on: March 22, 2021, 05:52:19 AM »
Hello everybody,
and btw, congratulations if you graduated. Anyway, carry on.

Offline Enigmachine

Re: DT15 in progress. Recording on home stretch.(Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #915 on: March 22, 2021, 06:41:01 AM »
I mean to be fair, by almost any other band's metric, the Images and Words songs are long. Considering that Distance Over Time has the shortest average song length other than The Astonishing, even song lengths that are par for the course for them or even on the lower end (like Falling Into Infinity or Awake) would seem lengthy in comparison.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #916 on: March 22, 2021, 06:50:11 AM »
Now, I think that John using his 8 melodically would actually be likely, because remember, the guy breathes great melodies. (which is what I love about his playing)
Surely the voicing possibilities of the eight-string guitar could easily give space to more complex harmonies such as the additional 7th, 9th or even 11th of the chord. I've seen on YouTube various videos in which these possibilities are beautifully presented in a mellow and clean sound, even with a nine-string guitar.
Yeah, good point. Pull Me Under is a "basic" song for their standards, not for nothing it got so much airplay, but it's 8 minutes long in the end. I'm sure we might see at least a 10 minutes song on the new album, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're "long" as the I&W songs, who are relatively normal in length but definitively have so much going on.
That's the reason why Images and Words is my favourite album of DT (possibly of all time), the way the ideas and riffs are merged into the songs just flow in a magnificent way and are incredibly (musically speaking) coherent, in no sense we can say that the sections in those songs are forced, they just flow.
 :metal
and btw, congratulations if you graduated. Anyway, carry on.
Thank you very much man, here in Italy we have two cycles of degrees in piano. I've graduated the first and I'm intentioned to start the second this year, which would eventually allow me to teach piano in a Conservatory in the future.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #917 on: March 22, 2021, 07:57:06 AM »
It's only an educated guess, but I think that, for lengthy songs, Mangini means songs that clock around 10, 12 or 15 minutes at most, for basically two reasons: because it's significantly above the average song lenght for DT MM era and because he mentioned that the songs "flew by". In my opinion (ok, it's a very personal point of view here), as good a 20 or more minutes a song can be, it will always sound like it lasts around the same amount of time. Lenghty songs, but shorter than that, if they are good/energetic enough, can sound like a 5 or 7 minutes song.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #918 on: March 22, 2021, 12:00:05 PM »
Hello everybody,
I don't remember which interview it was in, but JP had commented that his approach to using the 8-string will be just the same as he did when he first used a 7-string on Awake: it gave him a broader range from which to work within. So I would imagine that his use of the 8-string is gonna be pretty different from all the djenty bands out there. Yeah, there might be some djent, but probably very little, if any at all.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #919 on: March 22, 2021, 12:01:46 PM »
I honestly feel that D/T has great energy and feels like it goes by pretty quickly.

What I actually enjoy about them now is how they are expanding this sound...The sound I am taking about is heard in The Bigger Picture, Surrender to Reason, Breaking All Illusions, Barstool Warrior and At Wits End. These songs remind me of the same sound of the Images and Words songs like Surrounded, Metropolis Pt.1, Under A Glass Moon, Learning to Live and Another Day.

And if we go by Manginis words. We might get an albums worth of Songs with this sound. And even the Heavy, if they can do something more heavier than Room 137, if a song needed an 8-String, that one would fit extremely well.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

Until we have the length of the songs all I can say is bravo to JP. Finally he is doing some fan service that was long overdue.

PS: John if you're reading (I know you are) try making it more of an album that stands out!

Seriously? Nice way to direct an insult at JP. And no he doesn’t read this thread.
No insult from my side, it's just something a lot of people were asking for a long time and if it's going to happen it will be even more exciting for all of us, don't you agree?  Also this is the official forum of his band..it will be weird not reading us from time to time!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #922 on: March 23, 2021, 05:43:25 AM »
This isn't an official forum, though. They have acknowledged it in interviews and are definitely aware of the community, but the band doesn't have an official forum. I do not think they actively read it. James used to drop by back in 2011, but even he didn't comment on stuff.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #923 on: March 23, 2021, 05:46:58 AM »
Correct. They know this forum exists and Bosk from time to time passes on general comments about the hot topics (if I remember correctly), but it's not that the band members actually read it, or know specific details such as "there's a thread that details the progress on the new album where every further info is updated for all to keep track".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #924 on: March 23, 2021, 06:26:20 AM »
Didn't (doesn't) MP read this forum, at least back when he was in the band?

While everyone is different, I think a lot of established bands don't read their fan forums, official or not, because they don't want to be overwhelmed with the criticisms.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #925 on: March 23, 2021, 06:29:19 AM »
While everyone is different, I think a lot of established bands don't read their fan forums, official or not, because they don't want to be overwhelmed with the criticisms.

I know forums are a dying breed, the dinosaurs to social media's meteors, but I believe that if these kind of forums were more widespread, bands could find actual insightful opinions rather than the usual social media stuff like Please tour my backyard, This song sucks lol, random tagging of a friend, and lot of random useless comments.

I truly believe that if one day the band members want to "hurt themselves" and going through the ordeal of reading through dozens of fans comment, they should check this forum rather than their social media pages.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #926 on: March 23, 2021, 08:06:02 AM »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #927 on: March 23, 2021, 08:46:25 AM »
Any idea if that's his new home studio or if he made the trip to new york to work at John's?

Or I guess a third option could be a different studio in Canada

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #928 on: March 23, 2021, 09:05:43 AM »
He's at DTHQ.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #929 on: March 23, 2021, 09:16:44 AM »
That pic is great! I think he could rock the white hair quite nicely.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #930 on: March 23, 2021, 09:20:53 AM »

I agree. I hope the band moves past the hair dye phase.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #931 on: March 23, 2021, 09:24:00 AM »
Is everyone getting grey/white except JM?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #932 on: March 23, 2021, 09:24:58 AM »
JM doesn't age though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Re: DT15 in progress. Mixing in progress. Sept. release (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #933 on: March 23, 2021, 09:37:20 AM »
I think the last all around great 20 minute song was Octavarium.

The Count of Tuscany would disagree with you.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: March 23, 2021, 02:05:20 PM »
And it would do so in a very long, drawn out, disjointed manner with cumbersome, awkward verbiage.  :laugh:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: March 23, 2021, 03:54:35 PM »

I agree. I hope the band moves past the hair dye phase.

I think LaBrie looked way better with his natural red hair and clean shaven than his dyed black hair and goatee gothic look. It's Dream Theater not Nightwish.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #936 on: March 24, 2021, 06:27:36 AM »
Yeah in terms of style James has moved to a bit of a cringy phase in the past few years.
I think his grey hair looks badass, and he would look great if he kept it this way.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #937 on: March 24, 2021, 07:31:42 AM »
He's at DTHQ.

Sure about this? James didn't want to travel to the US and he and Chance (his son) setup a home recording studio.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #938 on: March 24, 2021, 07:56:56 AM »
So i've told you guys about an interview i had done with Jordan, it's finally published.
Unfortunately for you it's translated in greek, hopefully google translate does a decent job:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.rocking.gr/interviews/jordan-rudess/38077

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: DT15 in progress. Mixing in progress. Sept. release (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #939 on: March 24, 2021, 08:22:26 AM »
I think the last all around great 20 minute song was Octavarium.

The Count of Tuscany would disagree with you.
I don't think it would.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #940 on: March 24, 2021, 08:32:55 AM »
He's at DTHQ.

Sure about this? James didn't want to travel to the US and he and Chance (his son) setup a home recording studio.

Yeah, Jordan confirmed James came to New York a couple of weeks ago and that they're hoping to finish vocals this week. 

You can also see on James' Cameo that he's there - https://www.cameo.com/jameslabrie

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #941 on: March 24, 2021, 09:28:42 AM »
So i've told you guys about an interview i had done with Jordan, it's finally published.
Unfortunately for you it's translated in greek, hopefully google translate does a decent job:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.rocking.gr/interviews/jordan-rudess/38077

"You know the other day I was in the studio talking to John Petrucci, since we were working on a really hot track, which has a great solo and is dynamite, and we laughed because I told him that even though we grow up, we do not slow down. We are talking about very intense material.

I think in this album it will be obvious to everyone, as it is to us that we take care of ourselves, in terms of our physical and mental condition, but also the musical ability. I think this seems because we can and do learn from every record, whether it is various tricks in production, orchestration and sound engineering. There are positive things that we like and we want to continue.

I believe that this album is a clear development, with a positive sign compared to the previous album. We certainly do not slow down, however, there is no doubt. As you can see I can not tell you more at this time, but I'm very excited, and I look forward to hearing from people, I think it will drive them crazy."

So energy definitely seems to be the word of the day here when it comes to each members' comments on the album alongside MM's "nothing short of a flame thrower on cotton candy" and "I've not played on an album this energetically unrelenting start to finish since Annihilator" as well as JP's "Everybody is on fire. The best ideas and best playing. And so the album, it's lit up. There's definitely a lot of energy and excitement to it."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #942 on: March 24, 2021, 10:00:11 AM »
The album will have four ballads, one epic, and a cover of "Hello Darlin'" by Conway Twitty.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #943 on: March 24, 2021, 10:47:40 AM »

relentless
[ ri-lent-lis ]

--adjective

1. not easing or slackening; maintaining speed, vigor, etc.:
   (a relentless barrage of 64th note triplets over a 7/8 groove)

2. unyieldingly severe, strict, or harsh:
   (a relentless phrygian mode bass line that will tickle your 'taint and loosen your fillings)

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #944 on: March 24, 2021, 11:20:39 AM »
The album will have four ballads, one epic, and a cover of "Hello Darlin'" by Conway Twitty.

And one yodeling song as an ode to Slim Whitman................... :tup