Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 346433 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Mangini interview

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-mangini-says-he-was-way-more-involved-in-making-of-dream-theaters-upcoming-album/

"the songs are lengthy."

THANK YOU.
added in, thanks very much. (although I prefer to use the original source page.)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 12:13:22 PM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Cool.  That probably means they're more proggy/jammy with crazy instrumental sections.  Fucking A  :metal

Offline gzarruk

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I just had the same dread as when I heard that BC&SL was only 6 songs  :mehlin

I hope that they at least follow the ADTOE, DT12, D/T mould.

9 TRACKS - and one song around 13 mins.

I don't like albums with only 5 choices. I find you get bored of them way more quickly.

Even if they fill up the CD - 9 tracks would average around 9 mins. Which is fine by me.

----

Or maybe they could do The Incident / Six Degrees thing with one CD of lengthy songs and a bonus CD of shorter songs ?

Cool.  That probably means they're more proggy/jammy with crazy instrumental sections.  Fucking A  :metal

As long as it's like The Dance Of Eternity and less like Illumination theory where it's like Riff A - Riff B - Riff C - Riff D - with no flow at all.

Online MirrorMask

I'm optimist about him saying that the songs fly by even if they're long. Because I definitively feel all of the length of Endless Sacrifice or The Ministry of the Lost Souls when I'm into a slowish and melanchonic song and then I take derailed away for 5 minutes of LTE. Voices' 10 minutes however do fly by, because the songs keeps on being interesting without ever meandering away. I hope for the balance of Dramatic - three long songs, three slower ones, some shorter stuff, I want an "anything goes" kind of album!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

I just had the same dread as when I heard that BC&SL was only 6 songs  :mehlin

I hope that they at least follow the ADTOE, DT12, D/T mould.

I hope they don't follow a mold at all.  Three songs with an average length of 12:35 (e.g., Close to the Edge)?  Cool.  Or maybe we get 15 songs averaging 5:00?  Also cool.  Numbers and lengths don't determine quality, and pre-determining those things (i.e., following a mold) seems like a recipe for disaster.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"the songs are lengthy."

Which isn't really the point of what he is saying at all.  So that's kind of misleading to take out of context.  His point is simply that, due to the "energy" of the songs, they flow by and feel like they are over before you know it.  Funny that you would take a sound bite out of context when he goes on a min-rant in that interview about people not doing that very thing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

Until we have the length of the songs all I can say is bravo to JP. Finally he is doing some fan service that was long overdue.

PS: John if you're reading (I know you are) try making it more of an album that stands out!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
"the songs are lengthy."

Which isn't really the point of what he is saying at all.  So that's kind of misleading to take out of context.  His point is simply that, due to the "energy" of the songs, they flow by and feel like they are over before you know it.  Funny that you would take a sound bite out of context when he goes on a min-rant in that interview about people not doing that very thing.
I'll change my short summary in the title page. Thanks for pointing me to it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: DT15 in progress. Vocals next. Energetic songs. (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #884 on: March 18, 2021, 02:02:58 PM »
:lol  I hate you.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #885 on: March 18, 2021, 02:04:08 PM »
:lol  I hate you.
me? Oh dear. Never intended to trigger that. (btw, I do try to react swiftly when someone mentions something to me while also keeping it concise. Hope it works out for this thread.)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #886 on: March 18, 2021, 02:10:55 PM »
Oh, I thought you were joking and went to change it to "long songs" as a result of my post.  Sorry.  :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #887 on: March 18, 2021, 02:18:33 PM »
Oh, I thought you were joking and went to change it to "long songs" as a result of my post.  Sorry.  :lol
no, I read the Blabbermouth post (which mentioned long songs) and used that first, but then I actually found the source post with Mike's audio interview and then I realised my mistake, and you clarified it again, so thanks. Nonetheless, I can't hide my excitement just now. Anyway, I'll be back once I find something noteworthy.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #888 on: March 18, 2021, 02:24:12 PM »
That could be something to look forward to. Last time we got lengthy songs was A Dramatic turn of events, which was awesome.  :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #889 on: March 18, 2021, 02:34:09 PM »
You know I feel like At Wits End, Barstool Warrior, The Bigger Picture, Breaking All Illusions are recent songs that really pass by in the way Mangini describes.

If these songs are like this and longer. It may end up being the best album from the recent era.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #890 on: March 18, 2021, 02:34:47 PM »
That could be something to look forward to. Last time we got lengthy songs was A Dramatic turn of events, which was awesome.  :metal

If they made ADTOE v2.0 I'd be THRILLED  :corn

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #891 on: March 18, 2021, 02:56:46 PM »

Particularly with the depth of sound that D/T has in its production. The song scope of ADToE plus D/T's mix would be quite the recipe for success.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #892 on: March 18, 2021, 03:29:06 PM »
I took it to mean lengthy.  here are a couple of quotes  "And the songs are lengthy"........... "we were always shocked at the length, because it seemed like it went by — it flew by."   :tup

Offline BelichickFan

Mangini interview

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-mangini-says-he-was-way-more-involved-in-making-of-dream-theaters-upcoming-album/

"the songs are lengthy."

THANK YOU.

My dream of DT Tales of Topographic Oceans live  ;)  Double Album, 4 Tracks  :rollin

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #894 on: March 18, 2021, 04:15:20 PM »
I took it to mean lengthy.  here are a couple of quotes  "And the songs are lengthy"........... "we were always shocked at the length, because it seemed like it went by — it flew by."   :tup

Me too, specially the first quote. I get that it is in a context of "it is so good that you don't pay attention to the length" sort of comment, but I still felt that he meant the songs are long, in someway. We'll just have to wait a bit more now to see how long they actually are.

Either way, I'm already very excited for this album!

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #895 on: March 18, 2021, 04:42:05 PM »
Yeah I have to admit, I don't really see how quotes like that can be anything but the new album having longer songs. That assumption could be incorrect of course, but there's implication that the mindset of writing more compact songs was specific to DT12 and D/T in the interviews for those releases (with TA being something of an anomoly in the middle due to it being less a collection of songs and more parts of a whole rock opera). Even without MM's quote, I would've still assumed that the album length / song lengths probably would've been at a sort of mid-point between D/T and ADToE simply just because it's been 10 years since we had more regular 10m+ tracks and 8 years since any at all. That said, I don't think a return to a Six Degrees / Black Clouds style tracklisting (few, but hella long songs) is particularly likely.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: March 18, 2021, 04:47:31 PM »

Particularly with the depth of sound that D/T has in its production. The song scope of ADToE plus D/T's mix would be quite the recipe for success.

Yes and if they don't master it too hot it could be their best album since Scenes From A Memory or Octavarium.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #897 on: March 18, 2021, 05:24:19 PM »
Yes and if they don't master it too hot it could be their best album since Scenes From A Memory or Octavarium.

And given how they listened to noxon's feedback for the master of D/T, it's fair to say that they'll follow in that vein, or maybe even go more dynamic.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #898 on: March 18, 2021, 09:33:37 PM »
All this talk about whether or not the new songs are long has got me thinking: when should we expect the proper album announcement/press release? I'm thinking sometime around mid to late May.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #899 on: March 18, 2021, 10:16:01 PM »
I have to say, I came to Dream Theater at a really good time. It's been 5 years in February since my "discovery". TA and tour. IW&B tour, d/t and tour, Distant Memories, Terminal Velocity. Before the year ends we can add another DT record and LTE. I have been living in the best candy store evah!  :metal :yarr

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #900 on: March 18, 2021, 10:17:40 PM »
All this talk about whether or not the new songs are long has got me thinking: when should we expect the proper album announcement/press release? I'm thinking sometime around mid to late May.

I'm fairly certain we got the title/cover from D/T in late November (3 months before release), so I think we'll see something around May/June.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #901 on: March 19, 2021, 11:15:35 AM »
I have to say, I came to Dream Theater at a really good time. It's been 5 years in February since my "discovery". TA and tour. IW&B tour, d/t and tour, Distant Memories, Terminal Velocity. Before the year ends we can add another DT record and LTE. I have been living in the best candy store evah!  :metal :yarr
Nice!  The candy store has always been pretty sweet throughout DT history.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
"the songs are lengthy."

I read the whole interview and totally understand that. I'm just happy with the fact that songs are lenghty. May i? I was expecting  that since ADTOE (last great DT album IMHO).
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #903 on: March 19, 2021, 02:05:30 PM »
I haven’t got into the interview yet but people are reading an awful lot into “the songs are lengthy”.  I mean, come on, this is Dream Theater, lengthy songs is their thing.  Aside from The Astonishing (and even that had the odd lengthy song) all DT albums are full of lengthy songs.  If he said the songs are longer than they usually do, then fine that’s something to discuss but a Dream Theater album having lengthy songs is just about the least surprising thing he could say.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #904 on: March 19, 2021, 02:13:48 PM »
I haven’t got into the interview yet but people are reading an awful lot into “the songs are lengthy”.  I mean, come on, this is Dream Theater, lengthy songs is their thing.  Aside from The Astonishing (and even that had the odd lengthy song) all DT albums are full of lengthy songs.  If he said the songs are longer than they usually do, then fine that’s something to discuss but a Dream Theater album having lengthy songs is just about the least surprising thing he could say.

He said they would listen back after they finished writing each song and were surprised that the songs were lengthy, yet they seemed to fly by. You can take that as you want, but since the last 3 albums have been all about short(er) songs for their standard fare (IT being the exception), it's definitely something that stands out.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #905 on: March 19, 2021, 02:59:54 PM »
Yeah also highlights what some of us are hoping for, one or two in the ~10 min range. Duration isn’t the only thing but historically they deliver with longer (but not epic) length stuff.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #906 on: March 19, 2021, 06:16:24 PM »
Personally, I'm not reading anything into "lengthy songs" until it's confirmed. As much as I do want more 10+ min songs (to me this is where DTs strengths lie), "lengthy songs" can be completely subjective. For example, you could call a 6-7 minute song lengthy by typical standards, but that would be short by some of the standards DT have set in the past.
I won't get excited about this until the final tracklist/lengthy are revealed.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #907 on: March 21, 2021, 04:06:24 PM »
JR Patreon Update: James expecting to finish recording vox at the end of next week.  All other tracks done. Jimmy T will be then doing prep ready for it to be sent off for mixing and mastering. 

Offline Dream Team

Until we have the length of the songs all I can say is bravo to JP. Finally he is doing some fan service that was long overdue.

PS: John if you're reading (I know you are) try making it more of an album that stands out!

Seriously? Nice way to direct an insult at JP. And no he doesn’t read this thread.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #909 on: March 22, 2021, 02:37:53 AM »
TIL that a 60 minute album is "shitting all over your fans"...