Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 346469 times)

Offline gzarruk

Usually my favorite DT albums are the ones with a lot of keyboard presence (SFAM, SDOIT, IAW, etc), so this sounds great :metal :metal :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Jordan mentioned in his stream yesterday, "We definitely upped it a notch sonically" in regards to the keyboards on the upcoming album, he hasn't told his tech what's coming yet.  It's going to be a lot of work getting it tour ready.  He also worked with JP and Jimmy T on a new lead sound using the Kronos and Neural DSP for a 'smoother and more focused' tone.
Good. Good.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline darkshade

Usually my favorite DT albums are the ones with a lot of keyboard presence (SFAM, SDOIT, IAW, etc), so this sounds great :metal :metal :metal

Agreed, and throw Awake and Octavarium in there, as well as the 2nd half of BC&SL. ToT is not keyboard heavy but that one is one of my faves and is the exception.
ADTOE is also the strongest Mangini-era album imo as well, and no surprise, is the most keyboard dominated of the last 4 albums.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
They make ADTOE Part 2 I'll be one happy camper.  That album slays  :metal

Offline evilasiojr

Don't know exactly what you meant by Part 2 here, but I completely love ADToE and would love an album on that vein again!!

Online MirrorMask

Of that album I crave most the diversity.

DT12 was about short songs, with the single epic thrown in.

The Astonishing was one of a kind and a rock opera.

Distance Over Time was about being "back to normal" and so it was heavier and shorter stuff with the mandatory ballad.

This time give me once again an "anything goes" album, three epics, three ballads, three whatever they feel like doing!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
I hope so, but 10x more difficult.

Offline Peter Mc

I get what you're all saying, but it's not like Jordan always hypes every DT album as "the best we've ever done", I think his excitement is genuine here.

It's quite the opposite with MP, who has arguably released the best album of his career about 4-5 times in the last decade (according to him, of course) :lol

Be fair: in a couple cases, he's been right.

Just out of curiosity, what albums released in the last decade do you consider to be the best two albums in his entire career?  Not asking to be a dick or to argue, we’re all entitled to our opinion.  Genuinely interested in what you think are MP’s best two albums.

Offline illusionist

Oh wow...JR actually spent the time to work on his sounds and create new ones.

This album is not going to sound like anything we've heard from JR before in Dream Theater. Now that has me excited to hear his new tones and sounds and how those will change the way the music of Dream Theater sounds.

Even before Jordan's info about his keys sounds,i was excited about the new album.
The lack of info about it (and i don't mean MM quote about relentless energy and JR info about his different sounds) has me thinking about SFAM.
We had so little information about it prior to its release,that when it finally came out it caught us all off guard.
Plus,the fact that JP and JR reunited with MM for LTE sessions must have inspired them a lot and brought some fresh air into their writing process.
Also,it is their first album written and recorded in their new HQ,JP used an 8 string guitar for the first time and they had all the time they needed
to work with patience and make the best album possible.
Not to mention that the whole pandemic thing must have been a huge inspiration for them.
And we don't even talk about LTE3,that is about to be released (and which is most likely to be a masterpiece,as their 2 previous albums)
Seems that some fresh air blew in DT's camp!

Offline Dedalus

The post-Portnoy track record doesn't leave me with high expectations.
I'm shocked.

:rollin

Offline krands85

This, except sub ADTOE for SDOIT.

ToT is not keyboard heavy but that one is one of my faves and is the exception.
ADTOE is also the strongest Mangini-era album imo as well, and no surprise, is the most keyboard dominated of the last 4 albums.

Yup  :tup
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Learning2Live

I get what you're all saying, but it's not like Jordan always hypes every DT album as "the best we've ever done", I think his excitement is genuine here.

It's quite the opposite with MP, who has arguably released the best album of his career about 4-5 times in the last decade (according to him, of course) :lol

Just out of curiosity, what albums released in the last decade do you consider to be the best two albums in his entire career?  Not asking to be a dick or to argue, we’re all entitled to our opinion.  Genuinely interested in what you think are MP’s best two albums.
At least for me, if we're limiting to just the last decade or so, I'd say The Whirlwind and Similitude would be the 2.

Offline gzarruk

This, except sub ADTOE for SDOIT.

I forgot ADTOE on my list, but it definitely fits in there :metal

I hope so, but 10x more difficult.

Well, MM did say there were some insane polyrhythms in DT15 :tup

At least for me, if we're limiting to just the last decade or so, I'd say The Whirlwind and Similitude would be the 2.

The Whirlwind was released in 2009.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
^Probably the only year where, interestingly enough, I can say that MP put out a better album outside of DT than he did with DT (although I ranked BCSL my #1 and TW #2 at the time). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Peter Mc

I would also guess that TSOAD would be one (not for me personally but I know some consider it to be up there).  The Whirlwind though is more than a decade ago.  I think the comment was more to do with Mike’s post DT releases during the last decade, not earlier stuff whilst he was still in DT.  I may be mistaken but I think Stads is a big fan of Flying Colors so perhaps this would be in there.  I don’t recall MP declaring either of those FC albums as the best of his career though.

It’s cool though that, all these years in, Mike is still releasing stuff that people rate as career high points  for him.  Not for me but it’s great that others enjoy his stuff on that level.  My MP highlights would probably be I&W and SFAM with an outside shout for BAF so nothing too recent.  He’s still put out some great stuff since then with DT, TA and NMB but nothing to quite hit those heights for me.

Offline TheRich13

Is it confirmed that the album title will be DT15 ? , or just for discussion purposes till title info is released?
Thanks !
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
Just for our personal reference. I'll update the thread with the actual album title once it will be known.

Offline darkshade

What if the new album is self-titled again??

Online MirrorMask

What even would be the sense of it and how would we distinguish them?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
DT12 DT15

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac

well, Weather Report had two self titled studio albums in their discography (their first and their tenth, in 1971 and 1982 respectively). I refer to DT's self titled album as DT12. (and I'm sure most here do as well). Why did WR do it? I don't know.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Is it confirmed that the album title will be DT15 ? , or just for discussion purposes till title info is released?
Thanks !
Hmmmmm...
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
Thanks !
Hmmmmm...
it seems I preempted you there, very sorry. I always refer to DT albums in the making like that. (always did too)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Thanks !
Hmmmmm...
it seems I preempted you there, very sorry. I always refer to DT albums in the making like that. (always did too)
No reason to be sorry.  Just seems like a strange question.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
 ;D ;D I'd love if they revealed the Official title as " DT 15 ".

Offline darkshade

The album could be called "Fifteen", so wouldn't be self-titled, but may still be referred to as "DT15".

Offline Dedalus

Self-title and Self-title part II.  :lol

Offline geeeemo

DT:B

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
With JP using an 8 string guitar on the new album, everyone is expecting some mean and heavy 8string riffage. But I had this random thought that what if he decides to troll us hard and the track where he uses it is a soft mellow song where he uses rich extended chord voicings with a clean sound. It's probably not going to be the case, but I thought it would be funny  :lol

Offline Skeever

With JP using an 8 string guitar on the new album, everyone is expecting some mean and heavy 8string riffage. But I had this random thought that what if he decides to troll us hard and the track where he uses it is a soft mellow song where he uses rich extended chord voicings with a clean sound. It's probably not going to be the case, but I thought it would be funny  :lol

I was hoping it was a sign he was moving into some more contemporary techniques like the Tosin Abaai stuff. We've never heard much of that from him and I would rather hear them go there than to go into Meshuggah territory.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

inb4 he uses an 8 string guitar without ever playing the lowest string :justjen
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods

:rollin :rollin

Like using it as a texture, for the Rhythm that you can't tell is there because it's layered with the Keys.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
inb4 he uses an 8 string guitar without ever playing the lowest string :justjen

So the opposite of why most people use them !

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
As long as he doesn't go off the deep end with an album full of 8-string djent-styled riffing.  I can take a song or two in that style, but an entire album?  ugh

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...