Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 346464 times)

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
I'll give JP and the boys this: when they say they are working, they work. They've always been impressively concise with their recording...no 'Year in the Half in the Life of...' documentaries in their future.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Idk, another double album so soon after the previous one? It would definitely be ballsy for sure. And it would be kind of odd have D/T sandwiched in between 2 double albums. But hey, if the music is good I’ll take it!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Considering the time this is taking for them to record, specially keyboards, I'm starting to think we're either getting another double album (non concept) like SDOIT or a "bonus" disc with a bunch of extra stuff.

I really wish they posted more updates, but I don't think they'll reveal much for a while, specially considering LTE3 is being released in a few weeks.
James will start tracking very soon (likely this week as he posted in an Insta story.) More as it happens of course. I presume Jordan is finished tracking now too. (he alluded to it during a livestream I watched recently.) Note that usually, vocals are the last link in the chain. (before mixing and mastering of course)

I thought JP did solos after vocals ?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Considering the time this is taking for them to record, specially keyboards, I'm starting to think we're either getting another double album (non concept) like SDOIT or a "bonus" disc with a bunch of extra stuff.

I really wish they posted more updates, but I don't think they'll reveal much for a while, specially considering LTE3 is being released in a few weeks.
James will start tracking very soon (likely this week as he posted in an Insta story.) More as it happens of course. I presume Jordan is finished tracking now too. (he alluded to it during a livestream I watched recently.) Note that usually, vocals are the last link in the chain. (before mixing and mastering of course)

IIRC, James was the last one to track during the D/T sessions. (and I mentioned usually for this very reason. Of course John may add in some solos, how would I know by now.)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline JRuless

Thats indeed quit common to reflect on the definite vocal lines.

Online jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
Comment from Jordan on his Patreon, a little hint:  "Hello everyone, I had a really wonderful three weeks recording on my keyboard tracks for Dream theater. I feel like it’s probably some of the best stuff we’ve ever done and I’m honestly very excited about it..."

I am aware Patreon is a paid membership so I don't want to post everything he says here for free but any small snippets that I can I will.  He does some great streams with Q&A's and is actively involved with his members, support your favourite muso's! Go check it out - https://www.patreon.com/Jordanrudess

Offline gzarruk

Comment from Jordan on his Patreon, a little hint:  "Hello everyone, I had a really wonderful three weeks recording on my keyboard tracks for Dream theater. I feel like it’s probably some of the best stuff we’ve ever done and I’m honestly very excited about it..."

Thanks for sharing! This is very exciting, and can't wait for more updates soon in the following weeks. :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac

I am aware Patreon is a paid membership so I don't want to post everything he says here for free but any small snippets that I can I will.  He does some great streams with Q&A's and is actively involved with his members, support your favourite muso's! Go check it out - https://www.patreon.com/Jordanrudess
added in, thanks very much

Online MirrorMask

I don't remember DT relying too much on the "best stuff we've ever done" trope, let's hope Jordan is a good judge of their own music then!  :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
I don't remember DT relying too much on the "best stuff we've ever done" trope, let's hope Jordan is a good judge of their own music then!  :hat
the last time I remember them saying so was when they made DT12. (which was an accurate description IMHO, and it's one of my favourites), but then again Jordan said D/T was an amazing album when he was finished tracking. (and it's not one I like a lot.) I don't go by what they say a lot, but his sheet music post made me a lot more optimistic about DT15. Anyway, I'll be back once there is something new to add in.

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

It's totally okay to be excited and share that along with the hype that it brings. Personally I'll keep my expectations in check and just wait for a complete song to be released.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape

It's absolutely a trope that many bands lean heavily on, but you are correct, DT has always been good about avoiding the 'hype' machine.

I've been involved in enough projects to know that, while we'd ideally always like to feel that what we're doing is the 'best thing ever,' it's often not. And when you're one piece of a bigger machine, it's completely believable that you wind up feeling 'meh' about a new album every now and then.

So, with all of that being said, this statement from Jordon has definitely piqued my interest.

Offline geeeemo

I know there are no keyboards, but I hope we get something kinda like Temple of Circadia.   :metal

Offline Dave_Manchester

I know there are no keyboards, but I hope we get something kinda like Temple of Circadia.   :metal

My favourite track (from my favourite album) of last year. I'd love to have something in that vein too.

Offline darkshade

The post-Portnoy track record doesn't leave me with high expectations.

Offline Lupton

Somehow I doubt we'll ever hear:

"To be frank I'm a little bit underwhelmed by the new material. Not that it's bad or anything. I don't know. Maybe I just expected something with a little more wallop. *shrugs* Well...I suppose these new tracks I'm currently recording will do. "
-Jordan Rudess

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa

I have low expectations.  I'd like to hear more songs like At Wit's End, Barstool Warrior and Untethered Angel and less songs like S2N, Room 137 and Paralyzed

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa

"To be frank I'm a little bit underwhelmed by the new material. Not that it's bad or anything. I don't know. Maybe I just expected something with a little more wallop. *shrugs* Well...I suppose these new tracks I'm currently recording will do. "
-Jordan Rudess

This is now the fake Jordan Rudess new album quotes thread  :P

"The new stuff is OK, we didn't break any new ground at all, but I'm OK with it being released like this.  It's good enough, I guess."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I'm shocked.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lupton

-Jordan Rudess

"The new stuff is OK, we didn't break any new ground at all, but I'm OK with it being released like this.  It's good enough, I guess."

Nice work!

"....and I found myself thinking. Damn. Here's all those same 'ol keys all over again, black and white in the same exact pattern. So I played a lick that I'd already used about 15 times. I looked over at John and he was..predictably playing the same riff that I had already guessed he would play for the umpteenth time. You see...I had already been through this whole process with John like six or seven times today"

OK I'll stop now.  :P

Offline pg1067

I'd like to hear more songs like At Wit's End, Barstool Warrior and Untethered Angel and less songs like S2N, Room 137 and Paralyzed

While R137 is somewhat unique, I think you could make a pretty good argument that AWE and Barstool Warrior are "songs like S2N" (and vice versa) and that UA is a "song[] like . . . Paralyzed" (and vice versa).  Really, these six songs are far more like each other than not.  Are you saying that you want fewer songs with bass intros (S2N) and shuffle beats (R137) and more songs about regret over life's decisions (BW) and battered women (AWE)?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

-Jordan Rudess

But you know how it REALLY goes...  they don't say that, they wait, and when they're in process of the NEXT album you see all the quotes like "well, the production on the last album wasn't that good....".

I can read a Gene Simmons quote on any given Kiss album and pretty much tell you EXACTLY when he said it.   

Gene Simmons, 1980:  "Unmasked is really Kiss at its core.  We're more than a metal band and this is our way of staying current and absorbing influences."
Gene Simmons, 1981:  "Our last album just wasn't produced right; the producer just didn't know what or who Kiss was.  Now, THIS album is really the essence of Kiss.  It's a story, and has the fantasy elements, and is forward thinking."
Gene Simmons, 1982: "Our last album, well, Bob Ezrin was just checked out.  This is what happens when you put things in your nose; the production suffered.   But this album is really back to basics, meat and potatoes Kiss."
Gene Simmons, 1983:  "Our last album was a great leap forward, but the production was horrible; we went for a big drum sound and got "booming echo" instead.  Whereas this album is us straight ahead.  SO straight ahead, in fact, that we're taking the makeup off. We don't need it, the music stand on it's own."
Gene Simmons, 1984:  "We're really proud that Kiss is more than just the makeup.  But we're still figuring it out; the production on that wasn't up to our standards.  So for this one, who better to produce Kiss than the guy who formed the band?"

Online MirrorMask

If I were a musician and I was asked about how good is a new album, I'd use a travel analogy.

"What's your best holiday? the one you had last year, or the one you're planning now? last year you went to New York, you saw the Empire State Building, Manhattan, the Statue of Liberty. You enjoyed it, you've been there. But now you're going to San Francisco, the Golden Gate, the ocean, the atmosphere of the town. Which town is better? there's no correct answer, but it's normal to be excited for your future trip rather than continously watching the pictures of the old vacation. We did our last album two years ago, we've been there, but now we're creating new music and we're excited as hell about this new adventure, only time will tell how this album will sit in the rest of the discography, right now we're very happy with it because it's brand new!"

Or something like that.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Setlist Scotty

If I were a musician and I was asked about how good is a new album, I'd use a travel analogy.

"What's your best holiday? the one you had last year, or the one you're planning now? last year you went to New York, you saw the Empire State Building, Manhattan, the Statue of Liberty. You enjoyed it, you've been there. But now you're going to San Francisco, the Golden Gate, the ocean, the atmosphere of the town. Which town is better? there's no correct answer, but it's normal to be excited for your future trip rather than continously watching the pictures of the old vacation. We did our last album two years ago, we've been there, but now we're creating new music and we're excited as hell about this new adventure, only time will tell how this album will sit in the rest of the discography, right now we're very happy with it because it's brand new!"

Or something like that.
That's a great analogy. Although truth be told, sometimes your best vacation far exceeds the next one, so that's not always entirely true!   ;). But still, I get what you're saying, and it's much better than saying "this is our best album EVAR!" for the umpteenth time.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
" The new album ( Shoulder of Giants ) ?? It's ok I give it 8 out of 10. Same old pub rock bollocks. There's two shit songs on it "

- Noel Gallagher.

Offline pg1067

Or something like that.

That's a great analogy. Although truth be told, sometimes your best vacation far exceeds the next one, so that's not always entirely true!

I actually don't think it's a great analogy at all, for exactly that reason.  We did a family vacation to England and France in 2009.  The next year, we went to Washington, DC.  We were certainly looking forward to DC, but I don't think any of us thought it would surpass the prior year's trip.  And the year after that, we just took a couple weekend trips that weren't even close to the level of the prior two trips.  Also, you're not selling your vacation to anyone.  If someone asked me about an upcoming trip, it would be perfectly for me to say, "well, I doubt it'll surpass last year's European trip, but I'm sure we'll have fun."  By contrast, Billy Joe Rockstar can't really get away with, "well, I doubt it'll surpass our last album, but we sure are having fun making it."

Pretty much anything out of the band members' mouths is pointless, but they have to say it; otherwise, all the chatter would be, "why aren't they saying how great the new album is?!"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
It's a running joke with a buddy about how musicians always talk up their new album. "It's our best album ever!"  I mean, what are they supposed to say? "Well, it's not that great, but please buy it anyway!"  :lol :lol

Offline gzarruk

I get what you're all saying, but it's not like Jordan always hypes every DT album as "the best we've ever done", I think his excitement is genuine here.

It's quite the opposite with MP, who has arguably released the best album of his career about 4-5 times in the last decade (according to him, of course) :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Remember when Adrenaline Mob was " his new permanent band " ?

...Until he heard the first album and jumped ship.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods

-Kevin Moore

Fix'd  :biggrin: :biggrin:
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I get what you're all saying, but it's not like Jordan always hypes every DT album as "the best we've ever done", I think his excitement is genuine here.

It's quite the opposite with MP, who has arguably released the best album of his career about 4-5 times in the last decade (according to him, of course) :lol

Be fair: in a couple cases, he's been right.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Be fair: in a couple cases, he's been right.

If you say it for every album you release, you're guaranteed to be right at least once. :justjen
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
Jordan mentioned in his stream yesterday, "We definitely upped it a notch sonically" in regards to the keyboards on the upcoming album, he hasn't told his tech what's coming yet.  It's going to be a lot of work getting it tour ready.  He also worked with JP and Jimmy T on a new lead sound using the Kronos and Neural DSP for a 'smoother and more focused' tone.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Oh wow...JR actually spent the time to work on his sounds and create new ones.

This album is not going to sound like anything we've heard from JR before in Dream Theater. Now that has me excited to hear his new tones and sounds and how those will change the way the music of Dream Theater sounds.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD