Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 346523 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: DT15 in progress. Mixing in progress. Sept. release (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #770 on: March 03, 2021, 05:45:58 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CL-YW0fg9cY/?igshid=1m5xgro467g82

Another cool wizard style pic from Jordan in the studio.

Is it me or the keyboard tracking is taking longer this time around? Not saying that as bad thing at all, it could actually mean either a lot music or a lot of care and attention (or both).

I think all the delays and lack of touring caused by the pandemic have given them much more time to refine what they wrote in the studio the last few months and they're probably just improving on a lot of the original stuff (which a lot of people here have been asking for). I also hope there's some more music, though :tup

Since this is with Inside Out, I expect more "bonus material" with the album. Their first two albums with IO had bonus tracks (Viper King on D/T and Paralyzed live on Distant Memories), so this time I think we could expect more of that. Maybe they'll have a main disc and then a 2nd with some bonus tracks. They haven't done anything like that before.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #771 on: March 04, 2021, 12:31:59 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #772 on: March 04, 2021, 04:26:57 AM »
"Just a small passage from the new DT album"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL_Ha4kA7oM/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Wonderful. (yes these are 64ths (for the first time ever in a DT album), and it's in 3/4. )

A quote from a new interview with John: "There's definitely a lot we learned from Distance Over Time. And having said that, this is definitely something new and different as well. I can say this, we're hard at work. We still have a bunch to do. It's going to come out later this year. We're actually in the midst of tracking keyboards right now. I don't know if it's just like people are home and you can't tour, but it's like everybody just came to the table to play. Everybody is on fire. The best ideas and best playing. And so the album, it's lit up. There's definitely a lot of energy and excitement to it. I'm really pumped about it."
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #773 on: March 04, 2021, 06:08:49 AM »
There's also 4/4 in the staff above.

Ok, sounds promising, getting 8varium vibes from that last B --> Bb chromatic progression
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #775 on: March 04, 2021, 06:13:32 AM »

That looks like Logic's automatic notation score from MIDI.  It would not look like that in its final form.  Still cool to see. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #777 on: March 04, 2021, 07:14:49 AM »

I've started transcribing the whole thing on Muse score. Sounds like something that Jordan would play on the piano.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline illusionist

« Reply #778 on: March 04, 2021, 07:15:31 AM »
https://metalinjection.net/interviews/john-petrucci-talks-liquid-tension-experiment-iii-new-dream-theater-record-and-the-influence-of-rush

"And having said that, it's not like I stopped being busy because I'm on my third or fourth album, I think, since I got home at the end of February (laughs)"

Third OR fourth album???????

Cmon now John,don't play with us...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #779 on: March 04, 2021, 08:29:08 AM »
https://metalinjection.net/interviews/john-petrucci-talks-liquid-tension-experiment-iii-new-dream-theater-record-and-the-influence-of-rush

"And having said that, it's not like I stopped being busy because I'm on my third or fourth album, I think, since I got home at the end of February (laughs)"

Third OR fourth album???????

Cmon now John,don't play with us...

Well, there's Terminal Velocity, Distant Memories, LTE3 and DT15, so no surprises there, really.

Grabs headphones

Opens link

WTF??

Same here :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #780 on: March 04, 2021, 09:45:06 AM »
I'm sure there are about 23 covers of this on YouTube by now....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #781 on: March 04, 2021, 11:39:38 AM »
There's also 4/4 in the staff above.

Ok, sounds promising, getting 8varium vibes from that last B --> Bb chromatic progression

Good catch on the 4/4 on the top line. 

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #782 on: March 04, 2021, 12:18:05 PM »
I'm sure there are about 23 covers of this on YouTube by now....
Strangely enough, no, not yet. Not one, actually.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #783 on: March 05, 2021, 06:38:40 AM »
James is off the studio in the next week to start recording. He's currently quarantining in a hotel. 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: March 05, 2021, 06:44:32 AM »
I hope he stays off the hotel's shrimp buffet.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #785 on: March 05, 2021, 06:57:58 AM »
James is off the studio in the next week to start recording. He's currently quarantining in a hotel.

Great news. Let's hope his voice is in a good shape, after getting rest from lack of touring.
He used to record in Canada previously right? Or did he record along with the rest of the guys for D/T?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #786 on: March 05, 2021, 07:09:04 AM »
I'm surprised that he is not recording in his home studio.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #787 on: March 05, 2021, 07:20:12 AM »
It was always my understanding - and it was a bone of contention for Mike, if memory serves - that the band convenes in NY/NJ wherever (I thought now it was "DT HQ") and when the music was done they sent the tapes to James where he was, who then put his stuff on top.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #788 on: March 05, 2021, 07:54:38 AM »
where was this mentioned?

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #789 on: March 05, 2021, 08:08:44 AM »

Great news. Let's hope his voice is in a good shape, after getting rest from lack of touring.
He used to record in Canada previously right? Or did he record along with the rest of the guys for D/T?

He was with them for the writing process, but went home to track his vocals

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: March 05, 2021, 08:57:12 AM »

Cameo

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #791 on: March 05, 2021, 11:04:28 AM »
It was always my understanding - and it was a bone of contention for Mike, if memory serves - that the band convenes in NY/NJ wherever (I thought now it was "DT HQ") and when the music was done they sent the tapes to James where he was, who then put his stuff on top.
I think you are misremembering.  For most of DT's albums, James has been in the studio with the band.  I think he's only done the "record in Canada after the band" thing in recent years.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #792 on: March 05, 2021, 12:23:13 PM »
I think you are misremembering.  For most of DT's albums, James has been in the studio with the band.  I think he's only done the "record in Canada after the band" thing in recent years.
Behind the scenes footage of Images & Words, Falling Into Infinity, Six Degrees, ToT, Systematic Chaos, and DT12 all show him in the studio with the other guys for recording (he's also in the behind the scenes for Scenes From A Memory, even though you don't see him recording). I think, as you say, him going to Canada to record is a very recent thing. I think it was first tried on The Astonishing and continued in Distance Over Time.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 12:38:01 PM by Robo4900 »
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: March 05, 2021, 12:38:00 PM »
Behind the scenes footage of Images & Words, Falling Into Infinity, Six Degrees, ToT, and Systematic Chaos all show him in the studio with the other guys for recording (he's also in the behind the scenes for Scenes From A Memory, even though you don't see him recording). I'm pretty sure the same is true of DT12. I think, as you say, him going to Canada to record is a very recent thing. I think it was first tried on The Astonishing and continued in Distance Over Time.

ADTOE was also recorded in Canada.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #794 on: March 05, 2021, 12:39:04 PM »
Behind the scenes footage of Images & Words, Falling Into Infinity, Six Degrees, ToT, and Systematic Chaos all show him in the studio with the other guys for recording (he's also in the behind the scenes for Scenes From A Memory, even though you don't see him recording). I'm pretty sure the same is true of DT12. I think, as you say, him going to Canada to record is a very recent thing. I think it was first tried on The Astonishing and continued in Distance Over Time.
ADTOE was also recorded in Canada.
Interesting!

I wonder if I misinterpreted the DT12 footage then, and he was there to record scratch tracks but sung the final recordings in Canada. Or maybe he went back to recording with the rest of the guys for that album then switched back to doing it in Canada again for the subsequent albums.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #795 on: March 05, 2021, 12:46:21 PM »
Of the last four records, I think only the vocals on the self titled album weren't recorded in Canada.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #796 on: March 05, 2021, 12:51:52 PM »
Of the last four records, I think only the vocals on the self titled album weren't recorded in Canada.
Correct.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #797 on: March 05, 2021, 02:02:52 PM »
Correct.

x3

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #798 on: March 05, 2021, 04:34:48 PM »

Cameo
confirmed via James' Instagram stories just now as well.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

Online Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...

Offline gzarruk

Considering the time this is taking for them to record, specially keyboards, I'm starting to think we're either getting another double album (non concept) like SDOIT or a "bonus" disc with a bunch of extra stuff.

I really wish they posted more updates, but I don't think they'll reveal much for a while, specially considering LTE3 is being released in a few weeks.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
Considering the time this is taking for them to record, specially keyboards, I'm starting to think we're either getting another double album (non concept) like SDOIT or a "bonus" disc with a bunch of extra stuff.

I really wish they posted more updates, but I don't think they'll reveal much for a while, specially considering LTE3 is being released in a few weeks.
James will start tracking very soon (likely this week as he posted in an Insta story.) More as it happens of course. I presume Jordan is finished tracking now too. (he alluded to it during a livestream I watched recently.) Note that usually, vocals are the last link in the chain. (before mixing and mastering of course)

Offline evilasiojr

JP mentioned they had a camera guy filming part of the writing process (probably the recording too, I hope). I assume they'll start promoting the new album in april.

About it being a double album non concept, I think it would be really cool! Let's see how long it'll take for James to record vocals...