Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 346505 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Petrucci reminds me of The Edge - you almost never see Edge angry - and always speaks with calm and clarity.

I have heard that he is always Edgy. 

:neverusethis:

:neverusethis: :neverusethis: :neverusethis: :neverusethis:

Offline gzarruk

Petrucci reminds me of The Edge - you almost never see Edge angry - and always speaks with calm and clarity.

He reminds me of the edge... of the water.

:neverusethis:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
:octavarium:  :police:

Offline erwinrafael

I really, for one, cannot imagine why his choice on how to play his drums is still an ongoing debate.

It wouldn't be - if he didn't keep on getting visibly flustered any time an interviewer bought it up.

If he had his hi hats up there from the beginning and someone asked him once and he calmly said " :) its for separation and so Labrie doesnt get all that high frequency

in his ears constantly when we are jamming " that would be it.

But he has to get all defensive about it.

This post actuallly shows you are not listening. He has already shown in video interviews that in his setup, his cymbals are actually easier to reach. It just has an illusion of being hard to reach but it is not. Because the cymbals are elevated, they are turned inwards so they are actually easy to hit.

But there are some like you who force your own explanations into why he set it up that way. That is why he becomes defensive at times because you do not listen to what he is saying. He did say in one interview that he placed the cymbals high to avoid the bleed in the mics in the toms but that is just part of the explanation. The high cymbal placement was already in his playing style befored he even had the symmetric drum kit.

https://youtu.be/k3-g0BKtPeE

He is not even stretching at all. He already explained that if his cymbals are lower, he sometimes had to stretch more because these have to be placed further than the toms and he has a lot of toms. With the cymbals placed where they are now, he can place them at the same distance as the toms.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 07:19:46 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
And he ha also said that he DOES feel tired in his shoulders - and that he has to get used to it.

Also - he has some cymbals at hi - hat level anyway - why not just swap em around

:lol ah to hell with it - he can do what he wants.

https://youtu.be/k3-g0BKtPeE

I remember back when MM first joined DT - I would search YouTube for videos of him and every single one was that quality for some reason.  ;D

It was really hard to find a good quality vid of MM playing.

Offline nikatapi

Leaving all the MM chat aside, do you people expect JP's 8 string guitar to be used on this album?
Could we get a new instrumental track?

What are your expectations?

Offline illusionist

Leaving all the MM chat aside, do you people expect JP's 8 string guitar to be used on this album?
Could we get a new instrumental track?

What are your expectations?

8 string guitar IS going to be used on the new album.
There is no if regarding this.
I don't know what to expect from the 8 string song(s), it will definitely sound heavy but i hope it will also be super technical.
In fact,it would be a great idea to use it for an instrumental.

ΥΓ.Αδερφέ ανυπομονώ για το άλμπουμ.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I hope it is done interestingly and not just Chung Chung Chung Chung.

Offline gzarruk

I'm just hoping we get any kind of DT15 updates on saturday's Q&A after the Budokan 2017 stream.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
I'm just hoping we get any kind of DT15 updates on saturday's Q&A after the Budokan 2017 stream.
so do I. In case there are (and given anyone here will watch the stream), please post them here for me to add them in.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Setlist Scotty

It's quite possible, but unless you have some inside information, nothing is guaranteed. If the band basically continues writing the way they did when MP was in the band, they will come up with all sorts of parts of songs, and then work out ways to incorporate those different parts together into songs. I recall seeing video stills from the 8v writing sessions where JP was experimenting with an electric sitar that he had been gifted, and yet nothing that was written using it ended up on 8v. So the same could be true with the new one. JP could come up with different ideas on the 8-string he has, but that's no guarantee those ideas will end up on the album. Time will tell.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

If it does come up, they probably just say what we already know: “drums are done/it’s coming along nicely, etc”

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
It's quite possible, but unless you have some inside information, nothing is guaranteed. If the band basically continues writing the way they did when MP was in the band, they will come up with all sorts of parts of songs, and then work out ways to incorporate those different parts together into songs. I recall seeing video stills from the 8v writing sessions where JP was experimenting with an electric sitar that he had been gifted, and yet nothing that was written using it ended up on 8v. So the same could be true with the new one. JP could come up with different ideas on the 8-string he has, but that's no guarantee those ideas will end up on the album. Time will tell.

I was gonna point this out as well. Yes, there is a picture of him and the 8-string, yes there has been talk about it for years, but that does not mean it will be used in this album.

If anything, I would say there is a equal chance (or greater) that he used the 8string for a track on LTE3. Time will tell.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online MirrorMask

BTW, if the drums are done, it means that all new songs already exist. We're in the embryonic phase, d/t is still the last album.... but it kinda isn't anymore!

The song that will open the new concerts already exists.
The song that will be the fan favorite of DT15 already exists.
The longest song on DT15 already exists.

Who knows how finalized all the compositions are, but.... it's there already existing in DT land!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline geeeemo

so do I. In case there are (and given anyone here will watch the stream), please post them here for me to add them in.

I think I might ask if the album is going to be thrashy! ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh and I hope that DT never do the 75 minute ONE track album.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Who knows how finalized all the compositions are, but.... it's there already existing in DT land!  :metal

From what I recall about how they write if they're doing drums or if the drums are already in the can, then the compositions are mostly finished except for overdubs and possibly vocals.

Offline gzarruk

MM left DTHQ a while ago, I believe drum parts were already finished then, but he's just posting about it specifically now (remember he had to drive from Boston to NY for the sessions and isn't/wasn't recording at his home).

JP posted a couple pics with DT15 in the captions, one of which is the one with the 8 string, a few weeks ago, and then Jordan posted that other pic about working on DT15.

My bet? Drums, bass, rhythm guitars and most keyboards are already done, and there's only leads and solos + vocals/lyrics to go.

As for the 8 string being used or not, he has been hyping this for so long now that I think he's definitely using it on at least 1 or 2 songs on the record. Remember JP is also very into the business side of things and nothing sells more new EBMM MAJESTY 8 string guitars than him promoting the crap out of them on studio videos and live on tour. Imagine if they released the new guitar and JP was like "yeah, I had it in the studio with me and it's a wonderful guitar, but I didn't end up using it at all in the album, oh well... guess you'll have to wait for DT16 to hear it then" :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Let's say for arguments sake that the album is fully tracked by the middle of February.

Albums generally take around three months to come out after that what with mixing, mastering, duplication and promotion.

That takes us up to the middle of May or thereabouts. I predict this album will be released on Friday June 11.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Actually, I think it could definitely be interesting for a band like DT to tackle a one-piece album. Something like taking the Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence concept and taking it to the next level. It makes me think of "The Whirlwind" in a way.

Can't see it happening, though. It's been just a few years since The Astonishing, which is going to be always their biggest conceptual piece. Can't see DT trying (or wanting) to top it. And also, when I say top,  I'm not talking about the music per se but the scope of the project.

But hey, who knows. I'm all for a twist in DT land.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot

I think I might ask if the album is going to be thrashy! ;D
:rollin again, thanks for the laughs. Much appreciated.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online MirrorMask

Even if they did, would it be that much different from Six Degrees or Scenes? with a little bit of fantasy the two acts of SFAM are two giant "suites".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Let's say for arguments sake that the album is fully tracked by the middle of February.

Albums generally take around three months to come out after that what with mixing, mastering, duplication and promotion.

That takes us up to the middle of May or thereabouts. I predict this album will be released on Friday June 11.

I agree with you, that sounds quite accurate. Unless they decide to hold onto it for a bit due to Covid and whatnot. Some bands are holding back on releasing albums until they’re able to tour for them.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
Idk, sounds rushed, I thought of september :)

For the 8 strings, it would be so funny he ends up using it for a 50 seconds breather doing flub flub ambient noises :D
Or just the final note of the album
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Didn't he pretty much use a detuned 7 string for False Awakening Suite ? That was essentially one note.

Offline Architeuthis

I wonder what kind of stock images Hugh Syme is digging up for a DT15 album cover?  😁
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
Idk, sounds rushed, I thought of september :)

ADTOE/DT12 were written/recorded Jan-May and both released in September.

BC&SL started in October and released June.

DT15 started in October so I'd guess a May/June release.  I could see them doing something similar to JP's solo album - "Here's the album and it's coming out in 4 weeks" sort of thing rather than sitting on it for the sake of it, especially when there's no touring at the mo. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I wonder what kind of stock images Hugh Syme is digging up for a DT15 album cover?  😁

Careful that sounds suspiciously like a complaint. They don't like your kind round here.

But yeah - the forum pointing out all of Syme's short cuts and sloppy laziness is always amusing.

When they went with someone else for The Astonishing I was hoping they'd dropped him for good after the DT12 crop-and-rotate scandal.

Plus the fact that some of the artwork in the booklet still had the watermark on from whatever website he'd nabbed it from...

Plus not to mention that D/T was literally two stock photos composited.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 08:03:51 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline gzarruk

I imagine there's lots of younger artists who could make a better product than Hugh, and maybe even for less money, but the band (JP) seems to be settled with him at this point.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

God I hope they use someone else

Online Mladen

I really liked the earlier covers he did with the band, but over the years it did become fairly predictable where Hugh is going to go with the artwork. Distance over time in particular looked pretty generic. It wasn't the concept I had the problem with, it's that both the skull and the arm didn't look original.

So yeah, I think Hugh had a good run with Dream Theater and I'm also keeping my fingers crossed they go with someone else this time around. Still, I'm not sure that the guys in the band can recognize a truly awesome artist when they see him. Not all musicians have the knack for visual aspects, as much as they might care.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Maybe they keep using Syme as his aesthetic is kinda tied in with Dream Theater by now ?

But The Astonishing artwork was clearly so much better. Like actual thought and artistry and effort had gone into it.

Syme has this weird cartoony cut and paste style

Offline Architeuthis

It seems that they might be keeping Hugh Syme as part of the WWRD mantra.  I'm  sure they also got a good relationship with HS.
The Astonishing was a nice departure as there was nothing generic about it. Great attention to detail that was quite fitting to a album of that magnitude.
It would be cool if DT found an artist that is kind of like a Roger Dean, with a unmistakable style.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
To me, DT's best artwork has been Train of Thought -by far-. I love the photography-inspired art. It felt so elegant and so fitting not only to that album but to the DT experience as a whole. I hope they had used that resource more often.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Dedalus

To me, DT's best artwork has been Train of Thought -by far-. I love the photography-inspired art. It felt so elegant and so fitting not only to that album but to the DT experience as a whole. I hope they had used that resource more often.

It's a beautiful cover.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 09:16:12 PM by Dedalus »