Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 346486 times)

Offline gzarruk

While I'm not on principle demanding a 20 minutes song from DT with each and every release, I'm not sure I want to live in a world where bands think "eh, why bother with writing a long song, on Spotify we get paid the same for shorter songs".

Well, that is a world you have to live in if there really is a drastic cut in revenues on gigs because of a pandemic. These guys need to make a living.

I don't think this is too common for bands to do, but they could easily release their bigger epics in two different forms: make them a single track on all the physical media options (CD, BD, Vinyl, etc), but upload them as split tracks to streaming services. That way you still get people perceiving them as big songs, but also get a bit more streaming revenue. Jordan Rudess did this for his latest solo album, If I'm not mistaken.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online fadetoblackdude7

Ah so if the new album is only 3 or 4 really long pieces but each broken up into multiple sections like SDOIT? So if the album had 3 pieces at 20-30 min each but the album had a total of 13 or 14 tracks. That’ll make it easier to play the material live and also release singles.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:59:46 AM by fadetoblackdude7 »

Offline Setlist Scotty

While I'm not on principle demanding a 20 minutes song from DT with each and every release, I'm not sure I want to live in a world where bands think "eh, why bother with writing a long song, on Spotify we get paid the same for shorter songs".
Well, that is a world you have to live in if there really is a drastic cut in revenues on gigs because of a pandemic. These guys need to make a living.
....as if these streaming sites are really putting food on their tables....  ::)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline erwinrafael

....as if these streaming sites are really putting food on their tables....  ::)

as if revenue from these streaming sites, small as it is, is not more than the revenue lost from gigs right now.

Offline jadiggerdt

They comfirm that the album will come out fall 2021. So hopefully on the road 2022.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
They comfirm that the album will come out fall 2021. So hopefully on the road 2022.

Where was that confirmed? I thought it would be earlier than fall.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
https://www.instagram.com/p/CIBEkuzh2iA/ here's a studio shot from Mike's Instagram
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Bass drum on DT15 confirmed then.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
Bass drum on DT15 confirmed then.
the same setup as on D/T (meaning his small kit) and a similar mic setup as during the D/T sessions

Offline gzarruk

So this pretty much confirms drum tracks are done, since Mike already returned home and that's his DT touring kit (and apparently DT15 studio kit) and not his home studio kit.

Yeah, I'm wondering where they said this too. I was expecting this one to drop around May or June 2021, but it would make sense to hold the release date a bit untill tour dates are closer.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
So this pretty much confirms drum tracks are done, since Mike already returned home and that's his DT touring kit (and apparently DT15 studio kit) and not his home studio kit.

Yeah, I'm wondering where they said this too. I was expecting this one to drop around May or June 2021, but it would make sense to hold the release date a bit untill tour dates are closer.
what he meant was probably this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sDyhyC8A5k (Mike mentioned something along these lines, but remember, this was before the pandemic came up). But as we know, nothing is confirmed about DT15 (that we know as of now, other than it being currently made of course)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 10:03:19 AM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Damn, this recent Jordan interview (where Jordan mentions there's an idea behind the album) is super hard to watch. Some cool moments of Jordan playing piano and giving some thoughtful (and patient) answers, but I cringed many times.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
After the release of the The Holiday Spirit Carries On, MM has put a couple of things on FB regarding the new album:

On polyrhythms: The new album has INSANE ones beyond Pale Blue Dot. I think you'll love it.
On the drums used on the Holiday song: They are the basic drums on the next album.

Offline nikatapi

After the release of the The Holiday Spirit Carries On, MM has put a couple of things on FB regarding the new album:

On polyrhythms: The new album has INSANE ones beyond Pale Blue Dot. I think you'll love it.
On the drums used on the Holiday song: They are the basic drums on the next album.

Music to my ears. Loved the production on the track, i think we're in for a treat with the next album :metal

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
The production on this track reminded me the production's style of ACoS.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Between d/t, which is my favorite-sounding Dream Theater album in years, and Distant Memories, which I think is one of their best-sounding live albums, I feel like DT15 is going to end lives with its sonic bliss.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online geeeemo

Between d/t, which is my favorite-sounding Dream Theater album in years, and Distant Memories, which I think is one of their best-sounding live albums, I feel like DT15 is going to end lives with its sonic bliss.

adding how The Holiday Spirit Carries On as well!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac

Yeees, maties. I'm excited already.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
I'll be a pretty happy camper if the new album's production values are similar to that XMAS track.  That's a slammin' mix yo

Offline Dream Team

Damn, this recent Jordan interview (where Jordan mentions there's an idea behind the album) is super hard to watch. Some cool moments of Jordan playing piano and giving some thoughtful (and patient) answers, but I cringed many times.

Do you mean cringing at the notes/sounds he was making? Funny, I was just thinking of this because I was listening to Symphony X yesterday and Pinella only plays nice piano and keyboard melodies, no weird noises. I wish Jordan would do the same.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs

Which interview is this?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

Which interview is this?

I think he's referring to this one: https://youtu.be/IES9GIB8U3Q

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs

Which interview is this?

I think he's referring to this one: https://youtu.be/IES9GIB8U3Q

Oh yeah. I watched that one.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
Updated to include most recent info (James participates in the sessions via Zoom call, which was to be expected, but they are progressing and it's moving ahead rather well) (note that the article is a partial transcript, my indicated date is the YT post date, hence why I changed it)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 07:32:25 AM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: DT15 process initiated. Progressing. (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #339 on: December 07, 2020, 07:35:48 AM »
Metropolis Pt. 3: The Astonishing Pt. 2: The Militia and the Music Player Pt. 1

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #340 on: December 07, 2020, 08:27:21 AM »
Do you know what I would find really interesting? If this new album has one big epic (20 or 25 minutes), I think it would be very cool if they use, as a lyrical theme, some relevant and complementary story from the Astonishing book (maybe the big battle told at begginning of the book?), also incorporating some real orchestration to this song, to give some kind of a continuity feel to the new song and the TA album.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #341 on: December 07, 2020, 10:45:48 AM »
I remember JP saying there was gonna be some eight string guitar on the next album.  I wonder if EBMM already developed a prototype for him to use on the record, or if Tosin Abasi sent him some covid relief tracks..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #342 on: December 07, 2020, 11:46:40 AM »
Does JP really need to make his sound heavier..honestly I think on DoT he sounds really good and quite heavy without losing much definition.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #343 on: December 07, 2020, 02:24:02 PM »
Does JP really need to make his sound heavier..honestly I think on DoT he sounds really good and quite heavy without losing much definition.

Exactly this. DT doesn’t need to strive for death metal heaviness for crying out loud. Just write some catchy, melodic, and memorable tunes.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: December 08, 2020, 02:46:38 AM »

A 7 string drop tuned is plenty heavy enough. People who buy 8 strings largely use them only for that one Meshuggah-ish sound.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #345 on: December 08, 2020, 08:28:26 AM »
There CAN be some very cool uses of 8 strings. But Kotow is right that most people just chug the low F#. Sad since there’s some real potential for creativity there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Fritzinger

any rock can be made to roll

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: December 08, 2020, 10:06:14 AM »

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
Re: DT15 process initiated.Guitar parts in progress (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #349 on: December 08, 2020, 11:47:26 PM »
I bet the tuning is not from hell's depths, like G, F# or drop F idk
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/