Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 346498 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: DT15 and Mike's solo album are on the horizon (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #210 on: October 08, 2020, 03:03:12 AM »
new funny photo by Jordan directly from HQ: https://www.instagram.com/p/CGD6aV7AM31/

So it has begun or it's about to!!

Maaaan, I try not to, but the hype is real already   :rollin
it has begun since the beginning of this month yes.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #211 on: October 08, 2020, 09:59:41 AM »
new funny photo by Jordan directly from HQ: https://www.instagram.com/p/CGD6aV7AM31/

Please tell me they're not going to do another puzzle/game like they did with DOT....

Or is that supposed to be where the bodily remains of Peter Tork are kept?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #212 on: October 08, 2020, 10:53:53 AM »

Please tell me they're not going to do another puzzle/game like they did with DOT....

Or is that supposed to be where the bodily remains of Peter Tork are kept?
not that I would know of. (Didn't think so anyway)

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #213 on: October 09, 2020, 06:15:38 AM »
JP new interview (english audio at the end):
https://headbangersla.com/entrevista-john-petrucci-tengo-la-oportunidad-de-tocar-con-dos-de-los-bateristas-mas-increibles-del-mundo/?fbclid=IwAR2hG1JZyXlvFtXU1vY4DJm0L9AlLWFb4ItD4NkQ_lXvJnlKyNEJNxQmmlU

They are definitely in the studio!
Nothing new in the interview, but, again, the curious fact that JP forgets about the 4th studio album with MM ...

No one ever asks, but I'm still curious as to how he told (or if he did) to MM that Portnoy was going to be the drummer for his new CD.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #214 on: October 09, 2020, 08:20:30 AM »
https://headbangersla.com/entrevista-john-petrucci-tengo-la-oportunidad-de-tocar-con-dos-de-los-bateristas-mas-increibles-del-mundo/?fbclid=IwAR2hG1JZyXlvFtXU1vY4DJm0L9AlLWFb4ItD4NkQ_lXvJnlKyNEJNxQmmlU

Nothing new in the interview, but, again, the curious fact that JP forgets about the 4th studio album with MM ...

No one ever asks, but I'm still curious as to how he told (or if he did) to MM that Portnoy was going to be the drummer for his new CD.

Why should he have to tell Mangini? It's JP's solo album, he could pick any drummer he wanted, and he chose his close friend since this is the opportunity to play with him again, on an album.

That's why no one asked.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online devieira73

« Reply #215 on: October 09, 2020, 08:42:34 AM »
Well, in paper, I agree, it would be simple like that. But, in fact, it's much more delicate than that. Needless to  say, MP represents much more than just a close friend who plays drums (so much that JP had a certain hesitation in inviting him). I'm not saying that JP should have asked permission to MM. I just think it would be nice to tell MM first. Anyway, it's just a curiosity of mine.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #216 on: October 09, 2020, 09:31:10 AM »

About the Portnoy thing, I saw on a recent interview that John actually told Mangini about choosing Portnoy for this solo album. I just can't recall where it was, maybe in the Sea of Tranquility channel.

He didn't mention the details of that, but it seems like he told him before hand indeed.

Online devieira73

« Reply #217 on: October 09, 2020, 10:44:30 AM »
Cool to know! I imagined that, being JP so classy as he always is.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #218 on: October 09, 2020, 10:58:11 AM »

Why should he have to tell Mangini? It's JP's solo album, he could pick any drummer he wanted, and he chose his close friend since this is the opportunity to play with him again, on an album.

That's why no one asked.

Why? How about, I dunno, professional courtesy to a fellow bandmate? Not that it would ever happen but maybe he thought that some people would overreact that MP was playing on his solo album and speculate MP was going to be back in DT and he didn't want MM to be blindsided by that.  But of course JP has said that his rule for a solo album means that no members of DT can play on it so he wouldn't asked MM anyway. ::)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #219 on: October 09, 2020, 11:53:20 AM »

That's why no one asked.

He didn't "have to tell Mangini," but I'd bet a dollar that he did.  If nothing else, it would be a professional courtesy to tell his business partners (all of them) that he's doing something outside the scope of the band.  My guess would be that, in telling MM, he said something like, "hey Mike, I'm doing this solo album that I mentioned a while back.  I'm getting Joe Blow to play bass and I'm going to ask Mike Portnoy to play drums.  Of course, that will make a bunch of numbnuts on the internet start to speculate about whether he's coming back to DT.  Just a heads up for ya."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #220 on: October 09, 2020, 12:47:48 PM »
He told Mangini, and he was cool with it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #221 on: October 10, 2020, 04:00:18 AM »

That's why no one asked.

Why? How about, I dunno, professional courtesy to a fellow bandmate? Not that it would ever happen but maybe he thought that some people would overreact that MP was playing on his solo album and speculate MP was going to be back in DT and he didn't want MM to be blindsided by that.  But of course JP has said that his rule for a solo album means that no members of DT can play on it so he wouldn't asked MM anyway. ::)

Of course he did. I am saying he didn't have to tell Mangini, and I'm sure Mangini understands too being a musician himself and working with other bands, and JLB solo..

He likely told Mangini as a warning how the fans will speculate, and to prepare for the comments.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #222 on: October 10, 2020, 12:33:24 PM »
He likely told Mangini as a warning how the fans will speculate, and to prepare for the comments.

JP even said in a recent interview that he was hesitant at first, because he knew these kind of comments would definitely appear, but that it was his opportunity to work with both phenomenal drummers :metal

Back to topic, tho, I'm really excited for the new album, and while it's way too soon to have any updates on how things are going, I know it'll be a great one :hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #223 on: October 10, 2020, 01:15:37 PM »

That's why no one asked.

He didn't "have to tell Mangini," but I'd bet a dollar that he did.  If nothing else, it would be a professional courtesy to tell his business partners (all of them) that he's doing something outside the scope of the band.  My guess would be that, in telling MM, he said something like, "hey Mike, I'm doing this solo album that I mentioned a while back.  I'm getting Joe Blow to play bass and I'm going to ask Mike Portnoy to play drums.  Of course, that will make a bunch of numbnuts on the internet start to speculate about whether he's coming back to DT.  Just a heads up for ya."

99% that's exactly how it went down.

I'm more moderately curious to know if Petrucci told Portnoy "listen, I have to publicy smash down the reunion rumors, you understand right?" before his statement about a reunion not simply happening.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #224 on: October 11, 2020, 08:21:00 AM »

That's why no one asked.

99% that's exactly how it went down.

I'm more moderately curious to know if Petrucci told Portnoy "listen, I have to publicy smash down the reunion rumors, you understand right?" before his statement about a reunion not simply happening.

More like, "If we do this, make sure to keep your fans in check."

JP even said in a recent interview that he was hesitant at first, because he knew these kind of comments would definitely appear, but that it was his opportunity to work with both phenomenal drummers :metal

See, this is what really gets me about fans' obsessions, and bands listening to fans' demands. JP almost didn't work with Portnoy due to the fans. Us fans almost ruined a good opportunity for Portnoy to play with Petrucci.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #225 on: October 11, 2020, 08:44:59 AM »

Back to topic, tho, I'm really excited for the new album, and while it's way too soon to have any updates on how things are going, I know it'll be a great one :hefdaddy
why so certain? :D (seriously though, that was my approach going into DT14, and then D/T came out of it and it was a MAJOR curveball and challenged that attitude. (extremely)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #226 on: October 11, 2020, 09:35:47 AM »

why so certain? :D (seriously though, that was my approach going into DT14, and then D/T came out of it and it was a MAJOR curveball and challenged that attitude. (extremely)

Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy all their albums. Sure, some aren't as good as others, but they're still very good. I'm just excited about new music from my favorite band.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #227 on: October 11, 2020, 09:58:10 AM »

Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy all their albums. Sure, some aren't as good as others, but they're still very good. I'm just excited about new music from my favorite band.

YES, YES, YES!!!! It's not just you! I enjoy all their albums and gravitate to some more than others. All I got to say is, enjoy them while you still got them cause nothing lasts forever, ask Rush fans, ask EVH fans........ :(

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #228 on: October 11, 2020, 10:33:09 AM »

of course (and as always) I'm cautiously optimistic (even hyped to some degree and definitely relieved that DT are still active too Especially in these times. I'll be back here once there is anything new to report.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 10:42:06 AM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
Re: DT15 process initiated (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #229 on: October 14, 2020, 04:47:26 AM »
Updated to include most recent information ("Great comments. 2020 ... it's like Alice in Wonderland Annihilator Style - meaning the opposite. I'll tell you that it is translating to music you'll hear in 2021 that's nothing short of a flame thrower on cotton candy. Enuff said for now. There's a lot of work to do." - Mike responding to his obituary post for Ed. They are progressing well, it seems.)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 04:55:13 AM by Max Kuehnau »

Online Dream Team

« Reply #230 on: October 14, 2020, 06:06:49 AM »
Prog extravaganza I hope. Tales of Topographic Oceans style.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #231 on: October 14, 2020, 06:53:06 AM »
I'll tell you that it is translating to music you'll hear in 2021 that's nothing short of a flame thrower on cotton candy."

:corn :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #232 on: October 14, 2020, 07:06:19 AM »
As I said, I just hope they break out of the traditional formula of "We have to make an album in these four weeks because the tour is being booked". The only good thing about not being able to tour *AND* owning your own studio is that you can work on an album as much as you want, and refine is as much as you want.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #233 on: October 14, 2020, 07:22:16 AM »
I'll tell you that it is translating to music you'll hear in 2021 that's nothing short of a flame thrower on cotton candy."

Interesting quote. Does that imply that they’re gonna get even heavier?

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #234 on: October 14, 2020, 08:00:56 AM »

Interesting quote. Does that imply that they’re gonna get even heavier?

I saw that too.....Bombastic, sweet music..

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #235 on: October 14, 2020, 10:43:22 AM »
Updated to include most recent information ("Great comments. 2020 ... it's like Alice in Wonderland Annihilator Style - meaning the opposite. I'll tell you that it is translating to music you'll hear in 2021 that's nothing short of a flame thrower on cotton candy. Enuff said for now. There's a lot of work to do." - Mike responding to his obituary post for Ed. They are progressing well, it seems.)

:metal :metal :metal

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #236 on: October 14, 2020, 11:43:56 AM »
As I said, I just hope they break out of the traditional formula of "We have to make an album in these four weeks because the tour is being booked". The only good thing about not being able to tour *AND* owning your own studio is that you can work on an album as much as you want, and refine is as much as you want.
Couldn't agree more. In fact, I would take it a step further and hope that they just continue to write more music, following their muse, until it is finally tapped out. They always comment about how they have so many ideas and that it's a struggle to find a place for them to include them all. So use the time you have to find places for all of them! Don't limit yourself to roughly 75 minutes. Keep writing and see where it goes. Then when they finally get to an end point of writing, after finishing off the songs, pick out the best ones and/or most cohesive collection of songs for the album, and use the extra tracks as bonus tracks, B-sides, tracks for movie soundtracks, and the eventual compilation releases. Had they not done something similar with FII (altho under admittedly different circumstances), we would've never gotten Trial of Tears, Cover My Eyes, Hollow Years, Speak to Me or New Millennium, and perhaps a few others. So doing prolonged writing sessions can really be beneficial, not just in creating more material, but (depending on who you ask), better material.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: October 14, 2020, 09:49:18 PM »
I am in full support of everything Scotty posted.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #238 on: October 15, 2020, 04:53:35 AM »
I've been a supporter of what Scotty said ever since I learned how most of the material on IAW and SFAM and ACOS came to be. There are slight differences on who prefers what, but surely over 90% of us agree that this is some of their very best stuff.

My very favorite album, Awake, came through their usual process, so it's not like they can't make classic albums by just going into the studio and writing about 70 minutes of music. Then again, maybe it was a lineup thing, the KM songs elevate Awake to a whole new level for me. Some people don't vibe with his songs or some of the stuff JP wrote and they rate it lower.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #239 on: October 15, 2020, 07:59:51 AM »
I am in full support of everything Scotty posted.
I generally am.  :biggrin:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #240 on: October 15, 2020, 09:54:55 AM »
My very favorite album, Awake, came through their usual process, so it's not like they can't make classic albums by just going into the studio and writing about 70 minutes of music. Then again, maybe it was a lineup thing, the KM songs elevate Awake to a whole new level for me. Some people don't vibe with his songs or some of the stuff JP wrote and they rate it lower.

Just to clarify...when you refer to "the KM songs" and "his songs," you're talking about SDV (written entirely by KM) and what else?  He wrote lyrics for 6:00 and Lie, but the music for those songs was composed by the band as a whole.

That said, I'll add my voice to those who think a more slow-paced, organic writing process would be nice.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #241 on: October 15, 2020, 10:16:44 AM »
Glad you all are in agreement. I just hope the band has similar thinking on the subject. To not do so, especially given the perfect storm of the current circumstances (have their own studio, no deadline for releasing an album, no time table for an upcoming tour) would be short changing themselves and the fans.

I've been a supporter of what Scotty said ever since I learned how most of the material on IAW and SFAM and ACOS came to be.
Funny that you bring this up - specifically about IaW. Because originally Surrounded, AD and especially PMU didn't exist originally. It was only because Derek Oliver encouraged them to write some new songs while things were getting sorted out, that they ended up writing the song that put their career on the trajectory that it's been on. Imagine if PMU never happened. Would this forum, or even the band itself, exist at the present time? Maybe not. And while I don't expect that they will write another song that will have as much of an impact as PMU did, they give themselves a better chance at doing so by not limiting themselves to writing just an album's worth of music.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #242 on: October 15, 2020, 11:24:04 AM »
Glad you all are in agreement. I just hope the band has similar thinking on the subject. To not do so, especially given the perfect storm of the current circumstances (have their own studio, no deadline for releasing an album, no time table for an upcoming tour) would be short changing themselves and the fans.

Count me in for those agreeing. Them not doing this since FII/SFAM might be a good indicator of how things will end up being anyway, but you're 100% right in that they're in a completely different situation this time around. It's mostly good when they change their approach for a new album, and we can hope this is the case. I'm not too certain about all of them moving indefinitely to DTHQ (or nearby), tho.

Another interesting thing to consider is that Inside Out always likes to offer special editions of their albums + the uncertainty of when the next tour will start could/should force them to work with the mentality of offering a bonus disc anyway to get a higher profit in special edition bundles. I'm certainly hoping for a "main" album and some extra stuff in a bonus disc. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Online Kram

« Reply #243 on: October 15, 2020, 12:33:10 PM »
How about a double album in the vain of 6DOIT?  One disk with a massive epic (this satisfies us who would like another long epic), and a disc with shorter more concise tunes like DOT?

Online devieira73

« Reply #244 on: October 15, 2020, 01:57:59 PM »
From Dream Theater World's Facebook:

"You heard it! There will be a Live Q&A on October 23rd at 3pm EST. We will be joined with Jordan Rudess and John Petrucci in this online event, live from the DTHQ. Be sure to keep your eyes open for the event, to be sure you don't miss out!"