Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 346432 times)

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
Re: DT15 and Mike's solo album are on the horizon (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #175 on: September 14, 2020, 12:54:42 AM »
I would love a six degrees or SFAM experience again.
On the other hand, a really proggy album like I&W would surely do too !

But what I don't wish for is an album full of mandatory
-Mandatory wall of sound mastering that kills dynamics and compresses everything
-Mandatory Mangini drumkit, more lively drumskins wouldn't kill, even if I don't ask for sepultura sound either
-Mandatory 1/2 ballads
-Mandatory Radio tunes
-Mandatory pushing back keyboards or bass. in a proggy way a breathing mix with all instruments is so nice
-Mandatory neo-metal/djenting... Unless it serves a purpose higher than pleasing the nowadays teenagers :D

I look like listing things worse than a Karen, but there are a lot of things I easily enjoy as soon as I hit play with DT, like epicness, virtuosity and some kind of storytelling and emotion
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #176 on: September 14, 2020, 04:22:14 AM »
Wishlists are tricky in music because it's not a mathematical equation, but it has more to do with feelings. With Distance Over Time DT did EVERYTHING I agreed with (working together, more inclusion, more direct songs, no wanking, heavy but not overboard with it), and yet I find myself coming back very rarely to the last album.

I'll just trust them to know what they're doing, as a gut feeling I'd like a bit more of variety, not an all heavy album with the mandatory ballad, I'd wish for more unusual stuff, like dunno - an opener that flies by and you don't even notice it's 10 minutes long, a weird and off field tune, a song that starts slow and has a gradual crescendo like Octavarium but doesn't need 24 minutes to do it, stuff that makes you think "wow, they never really did this kind of song before". But as I said, I'll just trust them to capitalize on the positive and fulfilling experience that recording d/t was, and do whatever they feel like doing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2020, 07:27:34 AM »
My wish list is that DT fans stop bitching and whining about what they want and what they don't want.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #178 on: September 14, 2020, 08:20:43 AM »
My wish list is that DT fans stop bitching and whining about what they want and what they don't want.

Pssh. That's any band.

The only thing I'd want the band to do at this point. Is The Astonishing with Full Orchestra and Choir, with guest vocalists. Filmed and with some production like The Theater Equation.

The next album, I don't care what they do. D/T satisfied my Dream Theater hunger, and I'm now full and everything else after is just dessert.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: September 14, 2020, 08:26:56 AM »
I really don't know what I want at this point. After ADTOE and DT12 I wanted them to make a more melodic and conceptually structured album. So they released TA which I didn't warm up to at all - I still rank it dead last of all their albums. Shorter songs or longer epics, melodic or heavier, concept or no concept - I guess it all depends on the end results for me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #180 on: September 14, 2020, 09:31:27 AM »

There would be no DTF then :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #181 on: September 14, 2020, 11:11:37 AM »
I’d be satisfied with another DoT only with a couple songs that are 10-15 minutes. But whatever they do I’m sure will be awesome.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #182 on: September 14, 2020, 01:52:27 PM »
I LOVE TV but that's not surprising as I expect this kind of work from JP.

What puzzles me is that the same people who like this album are some of the same people who dislike D12 and the TA. JP and JR have been the melodic voice of DR and once MP left the band it was immediately apparent as to whom was responsible to the melody aspect of DT.
DT12 and TA are chock full of melodic moments and I can hear plenty of moments reminiscent of D12 and even Systematic Chaos.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #183 on: September 14, 2020, 02:48:30 PM »
Perhaps a more organic approach to the vocals. . JLB has a very nice natural sounding voice, so stay away from the chorus effect.  Delay is ok because it gives a live feel to the music, but chorus changes the tone too much.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #184 on: September 14, 2020, 03:17:24 PM »
Perhaps a more organic approach to the vocals. . JLB has a very nice natural sounding voice, so stay away from the chorus effect.  Delay is ok because it gives a live feel to the music, but chorus changes the tone too much.

Could be JLB himself who prefers the chorus.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #185 on: September 14, 2020, 05:24:17 PM »
OK guys, so, as was posted today, DT will postpone the Australian dates into next year.
Where was this posted? The official website still shows the Australian and Japanese dates happening in November.
here: https://www.facebook.com/TheDreamTheaterWorld/posts/4358118274263480 (and on DT's Facebook as well here: https://www.facebook.com/dreamtheater/posts/10157351340577181) And yes, I know it would have been wiser of me to indicate the links right away. Sorry.
Thanks for those links, Max. Makes me wonder why they didn't post the same/similar thing for the Japanese dates....
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: September 15, 2020, 12:41:47 AM »
Wishing for people not liking wishlists not to whine on a on-topic wishlist convo :D

Maybe the difference without MP is that they do less "inspiration corner" listening to other artists CDs and get inspired, like never enough vs stockholm syndrome from muse etc...
We do get a lot of metallica vibes and some solos have hints of satriani etc...But I lack this expansion, assimilating new styles and details.

Not wishing for djent, or polyphia styled bleeps and bloops tho

I mean if we can get an album with songs as diverse as in SFAM, like home is just wow!

ADTOE was very diverse, but it's a little special since it was a transition and they probably had a lot of song material to use...idk
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #187 on: September 15, 2020, 06:46:20 AM »
I mean if we can get an album with songs as diverse as in SFAM, like home is just wow!
You mean with it's 46 and 2 inspired bass line?    ;) ;D

But yeah, I agree in general with what you're saying.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #188 on: September 15, 2020, 09:50:48 AM »
I just hope they have fun while creating the new music. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #189 on: September 16, 2020, 12:48:23 AM »
I just hope they have fun while creating the new music.

This is the most important. Not being "forced" to write something to appeal to the (super demanding) audience.
Just have fun, explore new stuff, allow everyone to express their ideas, and let the music breathe.

I wouldn't mind more "epic" songs of course, and i would definitely expect the same (and better) sound quality as on DoT.

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #190 on: September 16, 2020, 07:43:54 AM »
I really don’t know where they would go from D/T. They’ve almost written every type of song you could ask from the band. I suppose I’d like to see a 30 odd minute song from them just to see how they’d approach it structure-wise and maybe another instrumental. Maybe a suite like mind beside itself? All I know is they tend to do something at least slightly different each time so I’m not expecting D/T#2. I enjoy everything they put out anyway so I’m sure whatever they write will make me happy.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2020, 02:48:53 AM »
Well now that they have their own studio - they can literally take as long as they want.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2020, 03:21:00 AM »
I really don’t know where they would go from D/T. They’ve almost written every type of song you could ask from the band. I suppose I’d like to see a 30 odd minute song from them just to see how they’d approach it structure-wise and maybe another instrumental. Maybe a suite like mind beside itself? All I know is they tend to do something at least slightly different each time so I’m not expecting D/T#2. I enjoy everything they put out anyway so I’m sure whatever they write will make me happy.

Yeah, we could have a debate, which couple of albums had less differences? probably Systematic Chaos > Black Clouds and Dramatic > DT12, and they're not even that similar anyway.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #193 on: September 21, 2020, 08:32:38 PM »
-Mandatory neo-metal/djenting... Unless it serves a purpose higher than pleasing the nowadays teenagers :D

I'm pretty confident that most djent listeners are in their 20s/30s than anything else lol

I think I will echo the sentiment that I hope they just have fun. That worked out really well with DOT.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #194 on: September 23, 2020, 09:53:00 AM »
DT are teasing big news coming soon in their social media accounts. Most likely it'll be about the new live album, but they're supposed to start working on DT15 very soon, so I'm posting this here as it might be related.

Edit: Nevermind, it's about the live album :lol
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:58:40 AM by gzarruk »
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #195 on: September 23, 2020, 10:29:40 AM »
DT are teasing big news coming soon in their social media accounts. Most likely it'll be about the new live album, but they're supposed to start working on DT15 very soon, so I'm posting this here as it might be related.

Edit: Nevermind, it's about the live album :lol
for now it is, but then again (remember James is at a place like the barn), they may speak about DT15 starting as well. What do we know innit. It might be both. Either way, I'll update the thread once we know a bit more.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline darkshade

« Reply #196 on: September 28, 2020, 10:44:15 AM »
I'd like to see the band try something different with their sound on DT15 but I doubt that will happen.
Yes, I know The Astonishing was 'different' but the sound of the band has remained unchanged since Portnoy left, even on TA. It was a "Disney-fied/Broadway-inspired" version of what the band sounds like in the 2010s.

Every album from WDADU to ADTOE there was an evolution in the band's overall sound, in one way or another, even if sometimes the band claimed to be doing a "back to roots" thing every few albums.

With DoT, that was another attempt at "back to roots" but I don't hear it, unless back to roots is "back to ADTOE." The sound of the band remains the same 4 albums post-Portnoy, all the band did on DoT was cut the fat compositionally compared to ADTOE, but they did that on DT12, sans IT; and DoT present a more edgy production and give the drums a boost, which is a positive, but long over-due.

Say what you want, and it was controversial when it came out, but Train of Thought was something radically different, though preceded with The Glass Prison, maybe Home, and a couple of other earlier songs. The raw heaviness was genuine, unlike the "look at our well-made metal music" trend that's been going on throughout their albums since basically Systematic Chaos.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #197 on: October 05, 2020, 12:28:00 PM »
edited to reflect newest bit of info: JP:"We're going in fresh" [...]"Between all the things I've been doing, I haven't time for writing. So yeah, we're starting from scratch. Blank page."
"So this new one is different. Since the last record, we've built a Dream Theater headquarters that houses our own studio. It's where I recorded Terminal Velocity. And it's fantastic."

(source: https://www.revolvermag.com/music/dream-theater-new-live-album-onstage-mishaps-rehearsing-meat-shops?fbclid=IwAR39v9x6B-V6PnGhZGfHLxzglOnvn8W1qDoUry58GykePv_GXIWevrl1tcM)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #198 on: October 05, 2020, 12:29:35 PM »
Furthermore, Petrucci let it drop to Revolver that, within a week or two of our conversation, Dream Theater would be heading back into the studio to start work on the follow-up to Distance Over Time. As for what that record might sound like? Your guess is as good as his.
"We're going in fresh," he says. "Between all the things I've been doing, I haven't time for writing. So yeah, we're starting from scratch. Blank page."

From: https://www.revolvermag.com/music/dream-theater-new-live-album-onstage-mishaps-rehearsing-meat-shops?fbclid=IwAR1O-NW01-cJGWl6wwwq3ZYRIU9fS4Vp1Y5EeBDfW-PUFNCoRE-E2tP2nsg

And I arrived a little late, apparently, Max posted faster :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #199 on: October 05, 2020, 12:31:24 PM »
Furthermore, Petrucci let it drop to Revolver that, within a week or two of our conversation, Dream Theater would be heading back into the studio to start work on the follow-up to Distance Over Time. As for what that record might sound like? Your guess is as good as his.
"We're going in fresh," he says. "Between all the things I've been doing, I haven't time for writing. So yeah, we're starting from scratch. Blank page."

From: https://www.revolvermag.com/music/dream-theater-new-live-album-onstage-mishaps-rehearsing-meat-shops?fbclid=IwAR1O-NW01-cJGWl6wwwq3ZYRIU9fS4Vp1Y5EeBDfW-PUFNCoRE-E2tP2nsg

And I arrived a little late, apparently, Max posted faster :lol
sorry mate.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #200 on: October 05, 2020, 12:56:27 PM »
So they’re staying home and ordering pizza this time and breaking their home studio in. Nothing wrong with that 👍

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #201 on: October 05, 2020, 01:00:16 PM »
I know that they have their methods and their habits, but I would really love for them to take the pandemic as an opportunity to write as much as they want or write as carefully as they want.

With the touring world thrown up in the air, there's no pressure at all to deliver the album for a specific date and then start the tour on another specific date. They could write it, sit on it, write some more if touring still can't happen, refine other things, etc.... I mean, when else will they have the luxury of having "all the time in the world" to make an album? take inspiration from an album title, black clouds and silver linings, the little lining in the black hole of a goddamn cloud that is a pandemic and the lack of concerts is that they can write all the time they want. Deliver for once the best 70-80 minutes you have, not the FIRST 70-80 minutes you have which is how some albums went down.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #202 on: October 05, 2020, 01:01:02 PM »
So they’re staying home and ordering pizza this time and breaking their home studio in. Nothing wrong with that 👍
well, John recorded Terminal Velocity in there already (and AFAIK it houses some of their storage for the tours too, but I might be wrong), so it has been in use already.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #203 on: October 05, 2020, 01:02:35 PM »
I know that they have their methods and their habits, but I would really love for them to take the pandemic as an opportunity to write as much as they want or write as carefully as they want.

With the touring world thrown up in the air, there's no pressure at all to deliver the album for a specific date and then start the tour on another specific date. They could write it, sit on it, write some more if touring still can't happen, refine other things, etc.... I mean, when else will they have the luxury of having "all the time in the world" to make an album? take inspiration from an album title, black clouds and silver linings, the little lining in the black hole of a goddamn cloud that is a pandemic and the lack of concerts is that they can write all the time they want. Deliver for once the best 70-80 minutes you have, not the FIRST 70-80 minutes you have which is how some albums went down.
I'd not be surprised if it all were to happen exactly (or somewhat closely) as you described just now. I'd love a long, laboured album with longer pieces again.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #204 on: October 05, 2020, 07:09:12 PM »
well, John recorded Terminal Velocity in there already (and AFAIK it houses some of their storage for the tours too, but I might be wrong), so it has been in use already.

I meant breaking it in with DT 😛

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: October 07, 2020, 04:27:52 AM »

As long as they use their Own Studio.

Dave Grohl made an actual film about Sound City and the Neve Desk and incorporating it into his own Studio 606...

Then the Foo Fighters never once made an album there... ???

EDIT : After a bit of looking - It turns out Echoes, Silence, Patience, Grace was recorded at 606 - but not on the Neve board. FF haven't made an album at 606 since the Sound City film.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 04:33:05 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #206 on: October 07, 2020, 05:10:16 AM »

As long as they use their Own Studio.

Dave Grohl made an actual film about Sound City and the Neve Desk and incorporating it into his own Studio 606...

Then the Foo Fighters never once made an album there... ???

EDIT : After a bit of looking - It turns out Echoes, Silence, Patience, Grace was recorded at 606 - but not on the Neve board. FF haven't made an album at 606 since the Sound City film.
ironically, Mike made the Into The Great Divide album there. (on that console too IIRC.) Back to our guys, I don't see why they wouldn't work at DTHQ.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: October 07, 2020, 05:15:15 AM »
 ;D i know this is not the FF thread - but i'm sure Dave Grohl lies awake at night thinking of gimmicks instead of songs.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #208 on: October 07, 2020, 05:47:51 PM »
new funny photo by Jordan directly from HQ: https://www.instagram.com/p/CGD6aV7AM31/

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #209 on: October 07, 2020, 08:07:54 PM »
new funny photo by Jordan directly from HQ: https://www.instagram.com/p/CGD6aV7AM31/

So it has begun or it's about to!!

Maaaan, I try not to, but the hype is real already   :rollin