Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 346437 times)

Offline 54_diplomats

Re: DT15 and Mike's solo album are on the horizon (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2020, 05:32:16 PM »

But whilst Portnoy takes a week to write and record an album and all his projects sound identical

Random shade to throw out but ok.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2020, 06:32:41 AM »
I notice you didn't try to refute my claim.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: August 10, 2020, 06:33:29 AM »
I'd like to see them experimenting a bit and maybe have each member (most likely not James, tho) bring a full song to the band sessions. Those wouldn't necessarily make it to the proper album, but since Inside Out always likes to offer special editions with bonus tracks, they could work as nice extras.

If I was Labrie i'd feel really left out not being able to play a melodic instrument - and I'd have definitely learned to play something in the 30 years since i'd been in the band.

Why not when you have literally the 4 best FREE teachers you could ask for ?

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2020, 10:18:27 AM »
I haven't listened to any of his projects, they don't interest me that much. My point still stands though, rather random comment to make. Seems Portnoy still lives rent free in some peoples heads 10 years after his departure.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2020, 12:10:44 PM »

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2020, 12:37:32 PM »
Looks like DT is going to start writing for the new album this fall.

https://metalinjection.net/upcoming-releases/in-the-studio/dream-theater-to-work-on-a-new-album-this-fall
this is what I indicated on the title page. It is constantly updated to reflect new developments.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2020, 04:53:53 PM »
I haven't listened to any of his projects, they don't interest me that much. My point still stands though, rather random comment to make. Seems Portnoy still lives rent free in some peoples heads 10 years after his departure.

So You havent listened to any of them but you just know they don't all sound the same.

Weird Flex But Ok.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2020, 07:25:09 PM »
He wasn't arguing whether they sound the same or not, he's just saying that it was a weirdly irrelevant comment to make in a post that otherwise has nothing to do with MP.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #148 on: August 10, 2020, 07:45:05 PM »

So You havent listened to any of them but you just know they don't all sound the same.

Weird Flex But Ok.

I never made that claim. Also wouldn't call that a flex.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2020, 03:51:47 AM »
The thread is about the next DT album.

MP is an ex member of DT.

He famously likes to throw out albums as quickly as he can.

The discussion was about DT taking their time with the next album.

^ Hope this helps.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #150 on: August 11, 2020, 07:25:36 AM »
Which MP will have nothing to do with, just as he hasn't for the last 4 albums. Therefore, your excuse of trying to include him is rendered moot.

That said, you famously like to throw out every negative comment about MP as quickly as you can, so this shouldn't be surprising.

^ Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 09:58:47 AM by Setlist Scotty »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2020, 08:54:40 AM »
By the way, I'd like to say two things concerning this thread: 1.) In case you may find new relevant information before me (which is possible), please post it here and I'll add it in to the title page.
2.) How do you like the new "streamlined" design of the title page? Any requests or ideas for improvement?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #152 on: August 11, 2020, 09:43:30 AM »
By the way, I'd like to say two things concerning this thread: 1.) In case you may find new relevant information before me (which is possible), please post it here and I'll add it in to the title page.
2.) How do you like the new "streamlined" design of the title page? Any requests or ideas for improvement?

I just looked back at the first post in the thread for the first time since the thread was created, and I have a question (or I guess more of a comment).

On May 20, 2020, JR posted a picture of a screen of music notation with the caption, "In case you are wondering what I’m working on in the studio."  Why are you interpreting that to mean that he is "collecting ideas" in connection with DT15?

Similarly, on April 14, 2020, JP posted a photo of one of his guitars with the caption (in pertinent part), "spending many hours practicing and creating a lot of music on this beauty!"  Again, you've got this under the "collecting ideas" heading.

Seems to me that neither of these posts have anything to do with DT15.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #153 on: August 11, 2020, 09:46:37 AM »

I just looked back at the first post in the thread for the first time since the thread was created, and I have a question (or I guess more of a comment).

On May 20, 2020, JR posted a picture of a screen of music notation with the caption, "In case you are wondering what I’m working on in the studio."  Why are you interpreting that to mean that he is "collecting ideas" in connection with DT15?

Similarly, on April 14, 2020, JP posted a photo of one of his guitars with the caption (in pertinent part), "spending many hours practicing and creating a lot of music on this beauty!"  Again, you've got this under the "collecting ideas" heading.

Seems to me that neither of these posts have anything to do with DT15.
they might not have anything to do with DT15, or they actually might. I didn't know at the time. I still don't now. Then again, John's post might have been related to Terminal Velocity.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: August 11, 2020, 03:02:58 PM »
Which MP will have nothing to do with, just as he hasn't for the last 4 albums. Therefore, your excuse of trying to include him is rendered moot.

That said, you famously like to throw out every negative comment about MP as quickly as you can, so this shouldn't be surprising.

^ Hope this helps.

Relax cupcake I was mostly joking around. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Portnoy was on Petrucci's solo album. I was ready to give Sons of Apollo a go until him and DS ( mostly DS )

started being passive aggressive children. But I have listened to most of MPs post - DT projects and nothing has really grabbed me.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #155 on: August 12, 2020, 12:10:14 PM »
Relax cupcake I was mostly joking around.
As was I, sweetheart.  :-*
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2020, 06:08:10 AM »
edited to include most recent info (https://www.facebook.com/MikeMangini/posts/3239221159459953  -"[...] Oct into Nov is booked[...]")

Offline V_R11

« Reply #157 on: August 28, 2020, 06:45:04 AM »
edited to include most recent info (https://www.facebook.com/MikeMangini/posts/3239221159459953  -"[...] Oct into Nov is booked[...]")

I follow MM on Facebook, read this but didn't connect the dots at all :facepalm:

If that IS the case, how soon can we expect an album? DoT was recorded during the summer and released next February, yes?
Seasons change and so can I

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2020, 06:50:34 AM »

I follow MM on Facebook, read this but didn't connect the dots at all :facepalm:

If that IS the case, how soon can we expect an album? DoT was recorded during the summer and released next February, yes?
D/T was recorded from June-September of 2018 and released in Febuary of 2019 yes. (or, to be a bit more exact, the writing stage was from June-July of 2018 (in some period of 18 days in that month) and then recording was from July 18th to September 14th of 2018)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 07:00:38 AM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2020, 07:14:06 AM »

I said it in a few posts before, but every MM-era DT album (aside from TA) has had 8 months from the beginning of recording to the album's release date. If recording for DT15 is starting in October 2020, then we can expect to get DT15 in June 2021 (assuming it's not another double-CD rock opera).

Offline Trav86

« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2020, 07:26:13 AM »
That doesn’t seem like enough time. More than likely they will record until into Nov, then take a break for the holidays. Then reconvene in January.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2020, 07:27:10 AM »

I said it in a few posts before, but every MM-era DT album (aside from TA) has had 8 months from the beginning of recording to the album's release date. If recording for DT15 is starting in October 2020, then we can expect to get DT15 in June 2021 (assuming it's not another double-CD rock opera).
this time around, (owing to the current situation) I wouldn't be surprised if they were to start the process with at least some things being pre-written already, but what do we know innit.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2020, 02:42:20 PM »
every MM-era DT album (aside from TA) has had 8 months from the beginning of recording to the album's release date. If recording for DT15 is starting in October 2020, then we can expect to get DT15 in June 2021.

I don't know why, but I was expecting a much earlier release date :lol, but you're totally right, that's how long it has taken them before (not counting TA) so it's pretty safe to expect a similar scenario here.

Interesting that only a month has been booked (that we know of), could that mean they plan to spend that month only writing and demoing (via Zoom or whatever) and then everyone recording remotely? If everybody properly records to the demos they previously made, that could speed up the recording process, as they could all record simultaneously (is that a thing?). However, releasing the album a bit later in the year (mid 2021-ish) would make more sense with touring being a possibility around then (who knows, though).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #163 on: August 29, 2020, 12:42:51 AM »
Interesting that only a month has been booked (that we know of), could that mean they plan to spend that month only writing and demoing (via Zoom or whatever) and then everyone recording remotely?

There's a few possibilities here:
1) You're right & everything will be recorded remotely.
2) Trav is right & they're going to take a break from recording for the holidays.
3) MM will do Zoom lessons alongside recording, but wants to focus on recording completely for the first two months (when most or all of the composition will probably take place).
4) The band wants to split up the recording process into smaller parts instead of one continuous 5ish-month session (the other 3 months in the 8 months I mentioned was dedicated to mastering & promotion).
5) The recording session is actually for an EP & not a full album.
6) MM's unavailability for those months is for something completely unrelated & JP was wrong about them being able to go into the studio in nothern Autumn.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #164 on: September 07, 2020, 11:34:30 PM »
Interesting that only a month has been booked (that we know of), could that mean they plan to spend that month only writing and demoing (via Zoom or whatever) and then everyone recording remotely?

2) Trav is right & they're going to take a break from recording for the holidays.
3) MM will do Zoom lessons alongside recording, but wants to focus on recording completely for the first two months (when most or all of the composition will probably take place).
4) The band wants to split up the recording process into smaller parts instead of one continuous 5ish-month session (the other 3 months in the 8 months I mentioned was dedicated to mastering & promotion).
6) MM's unavailability for those months is for something completely unrelated & JP was wrong about them being able to go into the studio in nothern Autumn.

Another Dream Theater EP would be really interesting! It would be a cool way for them to use some of their unused song ideas that don't have much relation to one another into a smaller package. Or maybe even, just one long epic track like ACOS again.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #165 on: September 08, 2020, 06:37:13 AM »

Another Dream Theater EP would be really interesting! It would be a cool way for them to use some of their unused song ideas that don't have much relation to one another into a smaller package. Or maybe even, just one long epic track like ACOS again.

Another epic just like ACOS would be awesome!!!  :metal

Maybe about 30 minutes long, divided in 4 parts, or just a whole thing. With a cool concept, exploring different musical aspects of the band.

I can't get rid of the idea of a song or an album called "Hidden by design". It would be really cool to explore the concept behind 137, expand the musical ideas in the song, idk  :D

I'm just very excited to hear new DT music, it would make this year a lot better!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #166 on: September 10, 2020, 02:06:18 PM »
OK guys, so, as was posted today, DT will postpone the Australian dates into next year. That might impact the timeline for DT15. Or it might not. Just a heads-up. Carry on.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: September 12, 2020, 04:29:41 PM »
Another album in the style of Distance Over Time would do me.

I'm so over 20+ minute songs and Illumination theory was hardly one of their best 'epics'.

Since Octavarium the quality has really dropped.

ITPOE part 1 is good but i don't really like Part 2. The Count of Tuscany is not bad but it's no Octavarium and Illumination Theory is patchy.

I'd rather another 60 - 75 minute album with 9 - 10 tracks of decent length.

No more :

9 : The Epic Epic of Epic
i. blah
ii. blah de blah
iii. blahhhhh
iv. Blah de bla blah
v. Blah reprise

----

OH AND PLEASE - another pro - shot live in the studio DVD. We've not really had one since Systematic Chaos. That was way back in 2007.

If DT15 comes out next year - that's very nearly 15 years.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #168 on: September 13, 2020, 01:48:16 AM »

I thought that D/T was their best album in a really long time, so I have to agree.

Songs like Barstool Warrior and S2N are so much more memorable, compared to a bloated and uninspired epic like Illumination Theory.

In fact, I thought that At Wit's End was their best "Epic" in a really long time, despite only being 9 minutes and change.

Maybe they have realized what Rush realized with Permanent Waves, that progressive and interesting songs don't necessarily mean 20 minute songs with 5 minute instrumental sections.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #169 on: September 13, 2020, 09:06:16 AM »

I'm so over 20+ minute songs and Illumination theory was hardly one of their best 'epics'.

Since Octavarium the quality has really dropped.

ITPOE part 1 is good but i don't really like Part 2. The Count of Tuscany is not bad but it's no Octavarium and Illumination Theory is patchy.

No more :

9 : The Epic Epic of Epic
i. blah
ii. blah de blah
iii. blahhhhh
iv. Blah de bla blah
v. Blah reprise

----

OH AND PLEASE - another pro - shot live in the studio DVD. We've not really had one since Systematic Chaos. That was way back in 2007.

If DT15 comes out next year - that's very nearly 15 years.

^ All of this.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #170 on: September 13, 2020, 11:53:54 AM »
While I agree this compact song approach is working really well for them, since the last 3 albums have been all about shorter songs (exept IT), I'd like to see a change this time, and wouldn't mind getting an album with longer songs or a big epic.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #171 on: September 13, 2020, 01:25:42 PM »
While I agree this compact song approach is working really well for them, since the last 3 albums have been all about shorter songs (exept IT), I'd like to see a change this time, and wouldn't mind getting an album with longer songs or a big epic.
I am in this camp and really love IT and ItPoE 1&2 played as one song.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #172 on: September 13, 2020, 02:50:00 PM »
I don't think we could get a bigger epic than the entire The Astonishing. And given that four albums of the five that preceeded it featured 20-minute-long suites, they might give that a break for a couple more albums.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #173 on: September 13, 2020, 03:07:50 PM »
OK guys, so, as was posted today, DT will postpone the Australian dates into next year.
Where was this posted? The official website still shows the Australian and Japanese dates happening in November.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #174 on: September 13, 2020, 03:17:11 PM »
OK guys, so, as was posted today, DT will postpone the Australian dates into next year.
Where was this posted? The official website still shows the Australian and Japanese dates happening in November.
here: https://www.facebook.com/TheDreamTheaterWorld/posts/4358118274263480 (and on DT's Facebook as well here: https://www.facebook.com/dreamtheater/posts/10157351340577181) And yes, I know it would have been wiser of me to indicate the links right away. Sorry.