Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 346574 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #4480 on: October 14, 2021, 11:19:44 AM »
Jordan is the oldest and he doesnt have to palm mute or anything like that. As long as he doesn't injure his hands I can see him going on and on.

Some pianists can play well into their later years.

I was always amazed by how Chick Corea was able to keep his playing level pretty much intact for as long as he did.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #4481 on: October 14, 2021, 11:31:38 AM »
Here from a Turkish Rock/metal magazine review the new album. It's short but they noted interesting thing or kinda controversial about James' vocals.

They think, James was a great studio vocalist, even today but beginning from SDOIT he was just there, do his job. No feeling, no touching lines, no deepness (which I disagree btw). But for the first since SDOIT they think James conveys great feeling and does intense vocals.

Well, we all heard two singles and to be honest I didn't like vocals very much and I hope the rest is amazing.  This review surprise me because in this thread one of the review says James is the problem.

The rest of the review mentions that this album is their best sounding album and noted that not a guitar oriented album and everyone shines.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #4482 on: October 14, 2021, 11:48:42 AM »
Another review.

Metal Hammer Magazine - 9/10.  Few quotes from it: "His (MM's) contribution to the album is a rhythmic masterclass. While despite the marmite status among certain fans, James LaBrie injects melody and passion to the likes of Transcending Time. AVFTTOTW is simply the sound the band reclaiming what it does best...the album's title could have not been more appropriate."  They also call it the best one of the Mangini era. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4483 on: October 14, 2021, 11:51:25 AM »
Jordan is the oldest and he doesnt have to palm mute or anything like that. As long as he doesn't injure his hands I can see him going on and on.

Some pianists can play well into their later years.

I was always amazed by how Chick Corea was able to keep his playing level pretty much intact for as long as he did.
I saw John McLaughlin (famed fusion guitarist, now aged 79) just a couple of years ago on his farewell tour.  He apologized for how slow his fingers were getting.

He was full of shit.  He was still playing at warp speed.  If there was any diminution of his technical abilities, it was negligible.  He was amazing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4484 on: October 14, 2021, 12:16:19 PM »
Question: is there any place in the States that will ship this sooner than Amazon? My Amazon order isn't scheduled to arrive the following week but I'm leaving on a road trip the 24th.

Offline rab7

« Reply #4485 on: October 14, 2021, 12:40:45 PM »
Here from a Turkish Rock/metal magazine review the new album. It's short but they noted interesting thing or kinda controversial about James' vocals.

They think, James was a great studio vocalist, even today but beginning from SDOIT he was just there, do his job. No feeling, no touching lines, no deepness (which I disagree btw). But for the first since SDOIT they think James conveys great feeling and does intense vocals.

Well, we all heard two singles and to be honest I didn't like vocals very much and I hope the rest is amazing.  This review surprise me because in this thread one of the review says James is the problem.

The rest of the review mentions that this album is their best sounding album and noted that not a guitar oriented album and everyone shines.

Beginning from SDOIT? Did he just turn his ears off while listening to Disappear?

Did he skip Far From Heaven in ADTOE?

Did he just ignore the entirety of The Astonishing? Because no matter your opinion on that album, James is undeniably on fire on that one

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #4486 on: October 14, 2021, 01:06:52 PM »
Well, yes. You are right. I disagree about that opinion as well. I have no problem about James' touch for each album but you know opinions differ one to one.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4487 on: October 14, 2021, 03:40:51 PM »
Watch out, looks like JP said in the new interview posted, that A View is the best sounding album of the band's entire discography, which would include IaW.

I have to agree with him. JP thinks before he speaks. It’s wild watching this being JP and JM were the only members in the band when I was pretty close to them. I remember when they were looking for Charlie’s replacement, I called MP and JP and played them a demo of a friend of mine, they were stunned. A few weeks later I along with JP, JM, MP, and KM went to go see him live, they were blown away again. So he was asked to demo some tunes and rehearse with them. He was asked to join the band right before they started writing I&W. I was so proud and happy I brought DT their new singer!!! When he was offered the gig, he (also being a bassist) said he wasn’t comfortable onstage without his bass. And that was that. I always wondered what if? Bill’s vocals on I&W would have been outstanding.

Stadler in DT? Wow!

Bill Rogers.
Small world, I went to high school with Bill in NY back in 80's

Brewster? Wow. Yup, he was almost DT’s singer. He Demo’d Status Seeker, Killing Hand, and A Fortune in Lies. He crushed it! The reason his demos were not included on official bootlegs is probably because he could not be contacted for permission but who knows. I wish I still had my tapes.
Yep Brewster High School, I graduated in 87 I believe Bill was a year ahead of me and graduated in 86.  We ran in similar circles back then.  I knew he had auditioned for DT, but didn't realize he was that close to getting the gig.  Yeah, I would love to hear those demos I wonder if he still has a copy?

He’s tough to get in touch with these days. I do know he lost a lot of music in a flood. I’m sure MP has them but I’m sure he doesn’t want to be bothered about.
Yeah, I'm sure MP has better things to do than look for those tapes lol.  I haven't seen Bill in 30 years and wasn't best friends with him or anything.  But like I said, we ran in similar circles back then, and I have a few friends who I "believe" are still in touch with him.  Maybe I'll see if they can ask him - I'll report back if I come up with anything..

Thanks! I’ll try as well! I was with him when he was recording them. He has such a powerful voice and sounds incredible live.

Holy shit guys, this is amazing. To my knowledge, Bill Rogers has never been mentioned in any interview or book or anything. Would love to not only hear the demos but also any other material he has done. Did he ever release an album with any bands? I collect all of that. I've got all of Charlie's stuff. I even have material from Chris Cintron. He had a pretty cool band in the 80s called Reckless. I later bought his spanish flamenco stuff or whatever it's called. Really good stuff not my thing.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4488 on: October 14, 2021, 05:27:25 PM »
Watch out, looks like JP said in the new interview posted, that A View is the best sounding album of the band's entire discography, which would include IaW.

I have to agree with him. JP thinks before he speaks. It’s wild watching this being JP and JM were the only members in the band when I was pretty close to them. I remember when they were looking for Charlie’s replacement, I called MP and JP and played them a demo of a friend of mine, they were stunned. A few weeks later I along with JP, JM, MP, and KM went to go see him live, they were blown away again. So he was asked to demo some tunes and rehearse with them. He was asked to join the band right before they started writing I&W. I was so proud and happy I brought DT their new singer!!! When he was offered the gig, he (also being a bassist) said he wasn’t comfortable onstage without his bass. And that was that. I always wondered what if? Bill’s vocals on I&W would have been outstanding.

Stadler in DT? Wow!

Bill Rogers.
Small world, I went to high school with Bill in NY back in 80's

Brewster? Wow. Yup, he was almost DT’s singer. He Demo’d Status Seeker, Killing Hand, and A Fortune in Lies. He crushed it! The reason his demos were not included on official bootlegs is probably because he could not be contacted for permission but who knows. I wish I still had my tapes.
Yep Brewster High School, I graduated in 87 I believe Bill was a year ahead of me and graduated in 86.  We ran in similar circles back then.  I knew he had auditioned for DT, but didn't realize he was that close to getting the gig.  Yeah, I would love to hear those demos I wonder if he still has a copy?

He’s tough to get in touch with these days. I do know he lost a lot of music in a flood. I’m sure MP has them but I’m sure he doesn’t want to be bothered about.
Yeah, I'm sure MP has better things to do than look for those tapes lol.  I haven't seen Bill in 30 years and wasn't best friends with him or anything.  But like I said, we ran in similar circles back then, and I have a few friends who I "believe" are still in touch with him.  Maybe I'll see if they can ask him - I'll report back if I come up with anything..

Thanks! I’ll try as well! I was with him when he was recording them. He has such a powerful voice and sounds incredible live.

Holy shit guys, this is amazing. To my knowledge, Bill Rogers has never been mentioned in any interview or book or anything. Would love to not only hear the demos but also any other material he has done. Did he ever release an album with any bands? I collect all of that. I've got all of Charlie's stuff. I even have material from Chris Cintron. He had a pretty cool band in the 80s called Reckless. I later bought his spanish flamenco stuff or whatever it's called. Really good stuff not my thing.

I have all of Bills stuff minus the DT demos. Look at the I&W special thanks to Hans (his manager) and Bill Rogers. If you go to heavymetalrarities.com you can get them there. Keep in mind his vocals are very old school Helloween and QR as they are late 80’s demos. His DT stuff translated well to that era.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4489 on: October 14, 2021, 05:31:39 PM »
:o

Holy Quote Pyramid Batman ! Guessing the mods aren't doing anything cause they're waiting for me to join in so they can chastise only me ;) x

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #4490 on: October 14, 2021, 11:47:43 PM »
:o

Holy Quote Pyramid Batman ! Guessing the mods aren't doing anything cause they're waiting for me to join in so they can chastise only me ;) x

Lol. Thought of it as well, this topic is keep on 'paging' because a quote-to-quote-to-quote reaction is taking half of a page in here.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Pettor

« Reply #4491 on: October 15, 2021, 01:02:03 AM »
Damn I almost forgot how hard the last week of waiting is. Just because I know it's close it becomes a constant reminder whilst 1 month ago I barely thought about it. One more week and we will finally hear it!

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #4492 on: October 15, 2021, 03:36:18 AM »
Wanna work on your French? Here's my review! I'd like to thank once again Noxon for giving me the rights to listen to the album.
https://blog.yourmajesty.net/2021/10/15/a-view-from-the-top-of-the-world-la-chronique-integrale/
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #4493 on: October 15, 2021, 04:10:30 AM »
Wanna work on your French? Here's my review! I'd like to thank once again Noxon for giving me the rights to listen to the album.
https://blog.yourmajesty.net/2021/10/15/a-view-from-the-top-of-the-world-la-chronique-integrale/
Could you give us executive summary in English? 🙂

Offline rab7

« Reply #4494 on: October 15, 2021, 04:24:30 AM »

If you paste the whole thing into Google Translate, you'll get a general idea, and might find some hilarious mistranslations along the way

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #4495 on: October 15, 2021, 04:25:37 AM »
Classic DT album, very much in line with what the band has composed since 2007 (except the Astonishing). However, well balanced, better composed, a sense of cohension and one of the best mix of the discography. Mangini is the MVP, Myung shines thanks to the mix, Rudess is a bit low and keeps doing improvised soli in one take, Petrucci is really strong and melodic and James is in his comfort range (so no dangerous lines that would be difficult to reproduce live). I think they have learnt from their mistakes from the albums of the Mangini era which makes me think it's the best album (except the Astonishing) of that period and maybe even since ToT (except the Astonishing).
Best songs: Transcending Time (best song since a long time), Sleeping Giant and Awaken the Master
Least favourite song: A view from the top of the world (not a bad song, better than all the songs from D/T but not a memorable epic).
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #4496 on: October 15, 2021, 05:06:22 AM »
Rudess (...) keeps doing improvised soli in one take

That's really not my impression of Jordan's solos on the album. I've had the same issue with his approach over the years, but many passages on View sound clearly pre-composed and I'd rate his lead work on the album among his best.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Pettor

« Reply #4497 on: October 15, 2021, 05:11:25 AM »
Hehe opinions, impression and reviews of DT before actually hearing an album is very funny. It's really all over the place and depending on the person you can get opposite impressions. Right now I have a hard time digesting how the remaining songs will sound but I guess I have an idea. Personally I hope Rudess solos will sound a bit more composed but let's see I guess. Also a bit sad if true that Rudess still is a bit low in the overall production. The albums where he shine are some of my favourites and D/T (whilst being fantastic) is def not a Rudess-focused album.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #4498 on: October 15, 2021, 05:20:49 AM »
Can't everyone who haven't heard the album (or just singles) start writing down how they interpreted the reviews, impressions etc.? 😁

Mine:
- Obviously long songs.
- Much like D/T but without the restrictions to create shorter songs.
- Sounds like ADTOE feat D/T more than Scenes, SDOIT, I&W.
- Mangini is the highlight.
- A grower.
- The epic is still uncertain. No impression has left the "wow this is mind blowing" but that's also expected from a 22 minute song. Usually takes time to digest.
- The epic is different from the other epics, which I really hope is true. So far DT is easily unbeatable in the epic league imo. They make epics that usually feel like the highlights and really stand out from each other.

That's all I think 🤔

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #4499 on: October 15, 2021, 05:32:54 AM »
It's hard, because I feel like I read many contradicting things, so I have no real clue what to expect right now  :lol. Here's my short list:

-Sonically, it's great.
-Musically, it's in line with what they've been doing for over a decade.
-Mangini is finally fully integrated.
-Transcending Time is the Rush inspired song.

That's pretty much it for me.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #4500 on: October 15, 2021, 06:33:40 AM »
I have not heard the album but I dont understand the review/comments about Mangini NOW being fully integrated. He's been integrated since DT12. Maybe they mean he is playing intricate parts in more abundance on DT15 than on the other albums? Either way that is good news to my ears  :)

On an unrelated note, if there is no 3rd single today does that mean there wont be one at all?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4501 on: October 15, 2021, 06:44:41 AM »
No third single. The album is only a week away and that would be half the album out there.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4502 on: October 15, 2021, 06:48:59 AM »
Personally, I find comments about jarring transitions in DT songs amusing. That has been a trademark since Metropolis Pt. 1 and even A Change of Seasons.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #4503 on: October 15, 2021, 06:49:38 AM »
I have not heard the album but I dont understand the review/comments about Mangini NOW being fully integrated. He's been integrated since DT12. Maybe they mean he is playing intricate parts in more abundance on DT15 than on the other albums? Either way that is good news to my ears  :)

On an unrelated note, if there is no 3rd single today does that mean there wont be one at all?

I would say since D/T not DT12. But to be fair I would say the full band feels integrated in a different way on D/T compared to previous albums, specially after watching interviews where everyone seems to be bringing ideas and participating.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4504 on: October 15, 2021, 06:50:02 AM »
Personally, I find comments about jarring transitions in DT songs amusing. That has been a trademark since Metropolis Pt. 1 and even A Change of Seasons.
Same.  I mean, sure they have plenty of transitions that are smooth, but the abrupt about-face has been there since the beginning.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4505 on: October 15, 2021, 07:12:55 AM »
"Abrupt" "transitions" "work" if they're executed well.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4506 on: October 15, 2021, 07:24:50 AM »
Metropolis Pt. 1 is as abrupt as it can get.

Offline LordJordan

« Reply #4507 on: October 15, 2021, 07:46:58 AM »

James was astonishing in The Astonishing, imo.
Pun intended.
Why does everyone forget or underrate that masterpiece?
"Step after step, we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living it has become too late."

Former ItalianVoices member (I see you others)

• PR permission
« Reply #4508 on: October 15, 2021, 08:05:04 AM »

Pun intended.

I think we would need a separate thread to discuss that question  :lol

In sum, it's a very different album/genre/style whatever you want to call it. It was a very ambitious project but obviously did not sit right with many fans including me. I wanted to hear DT step out of the box-- maybe toes only-- just not like that.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #4509 on: October 15, 2021, 08:15:03 AM »
I’m concerned that the epic seems to be leaving listeners underwhelmed. Nobody seems to be all that impressed by it and that’s 20 minutes of the album. 

Based on reviews it sounds like they played it safe with the album but made it sonically great.  Sounds like a collection of solid songs but no instant classics.

These are all just impressions from reviews, haven’t heard anything but the two singles and snippets

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4510 on: October 15, 2021, 08:21:14 AM »

Pun intended.

Due to it being an entirely different style of album that most people do not have the time for plays a lot into it. This is an album that needs to be listened to with your full attention.

I view it like watching a movie, although it's a musical movie. I can sit down, close my eyes, and imagine the world. I can imagine the NOMACS, Faythe walking the castle halls, and the battle between Arhys and Darius.

Then you have expectations not being met and people being disappointed, as they expected the story or album to focus on their more heavier, metal aspects. But this story is not about those type of moments emotionally. The music plays a different role than your usual songs.

The music in The Astonishing is there to set the themes of the characters. I don't know if anyone noticed, but these themes are used when each character is speaking, and each of these themes has a song that showcases what the theme is. The Answer( introduction bro Gabriel's Theme), Act of Faythe(literally a song dedicated to Faythes theme, and is reprised in Losing Faythe), and Lord Nefaryus (obviously his theme song). And these themes intertwine within songs as well to form different feelings like Losing Faith portraying sadness using Faythe, Annabelle, and Lord Nefaryus themes, which this is the climax of all three of their themes. Whispers on The Wind/Hymn of A Thousand Voices are Gabriel's Theme climax songs. In The Wind, it's only piano due to Gabriel losing his voice, then the uplifting of Hymn is Gabriel's Theme and song "When Your Time Has Come" being sung by the crowd that gathered at Heavens Cove, further uplifting his voice to where they all rejoice and sing.

There's just so much in this album that not many have the time to analyze the themes, moods, and overall connection the music style has with the story.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline LKap13

« Reply #4511 on: October 15, 2021, 08:24:15 AM »
I’m concerned that the epic seems to be leaving listeners underwhelmed. Nobody seems to be all that impressed by it and that’s 20 minutes of the album. 

Based on reviews it sounds like they played it safe with the album but made it sonically great.  Sounds like a collection of solid songs but no instant classics.

These are all just impressions from reviews, haven’t heard anything but the two singles and snippets

I've noticed many reviewers saying it's their best in a decade

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #4512 on: October 15, 2021, 08:28:17 AM »

Pun intended.

Due to it being an entirely different style of album that most people do not have the time for plays a lot into it. This is an album that needs to be listened to with your full attention.

I view it like watching a movie, although it's a musical movie. I can sit down, close my eyes, and imagine the world. I can imagine the NOMACS, Faythe walking the castle halls, and the battle between Arhys and Darius.

Then you have expectations not being met and people being disappointed, as they expected the story or album to focus on their more heavier, metal aspects. But this story is not about those type of moments emotionally. The music plays a different role than your usual songs.

The music in The Astonishing is there to set the themes of the characters. I don't know if anyone noticed, but these themes are used when each character is speaking, and each of these themes has a song that showcases what the theme is. The Answer( introduction bro Gabriel's Theme), Act of Faythe(literally a song dedicated to Faythes theme, and is reprised in Losing Faythe), and Lord Nefaryus (obviously his theme song). And these themes intertwine within songs as well to form different feelings like Losing Faith portraying sadness using Faythe, Annabelle, and Lord Nefaryus themes, which this is the climax of all three of their themes. Whispers on The Wind/Hymn of A Thousand Voices are Gabriel's Theme climax songs. In The Wind, it's only piano due to Gabriel losing his voice, then the uplifting of Hymn is Gabriel's Theme and song "When Your Time Has Come" being sung by the crowd that gathered at Heavens Cove, further uplifting his voice to where they all rejoice and sing.

There's just so much in this album that not many have the time to analyze the themes, moods, and overall connection the music style has with the story.

The only reason I don’t listen to The Astonishing all that much is because I just don’t have time to listen to a two and a half hour record. I absolutely adore this album.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #4513 on: October 15, 2021, 08:32:50 AM »

First, I like the epic very much. It has some of the best moments of the album and it hangs together quite well. Sure, it's episodic in feel, but so was ACoS, and I think they use that effectively.

And I absolutely do think there are instant classics here. I haven't even mentioned it before because I deliberately didn't want to do a track-by-track retelling (I find these boring), but Sleeping Giant is a masterpiece and I can easily see that one, the title track, Awaken the Master and The Alien (while not quite on the same level) becoming live staples.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

• PR permission
« Reply #4514 on: October 15, 2021, 08:42:42 AM »
There's an Australian review on YouTube. The guy really liked Answering the Call and Transcending Time.

I agree with the prior comment on the title track. Not many people gushing over it which is interesting given it's the big boy in the room. A few positive comments but there seems to be a lot more excitement about Sleeping Giant, for example, than the mega-epic.