Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 350001 times)

Offline hunnus2000

Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #4200 on: October 08, 2021, 02:09:32 PM »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4201 on: October 08, 2021, 03:53:13 PM »
:panicattack:  Rodrigo said the album smells bad and is falling apart at the seams!!!

I think they might be the shoes on the album cover. DT knew he would reference the shoes before he did, that's the true genius of the band.  :rollin

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4202 on: October 08, 2021, 04:00:53 PM »
:panicattack:  Rodrigo said the album smells bad and is falling apart at the seams!!!

I think they might be the shoes on the album cover. DT knew he would reference the shoes before he did, that's the true genius of the band.  :rollin

:lol :lol :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4203 on: October 08, 2021, 04:11:54 PM »

Offline dparrott

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #4205 on: October 08, 2021, 04:32:18 PM »
I also wouldn't include FII in the category of "oh yea that album exists".   

A lot of their albums fall into this category for me. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #4206 on: October 08, 2021, 04:33:24 PM »
Can anyone confirm if the epic has more classically influenced music than the other epics?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4207 on: October 08, 2021, 04:55:28 PM »
Can anyone confirm if the epic has more classically influenced music than the other epics?

I haven't listened to it enough yet, but picked up parts that reminded me of In the NAme of God, COnstant Motion and Ministry of Lost Souls

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #4208 on: October 08, 2021, 05:05:04 PM »
Just received the album THROUGH OFFICIAL CHANNELS (don't ban me!!!), and I'm going through my first listen. Two songs before the end I can already say this is Mangini's finest hour with DT, guys!!!!

Looking forward to your review.

...and the kind of running shoes you have...
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #4209 on: October 08, 2021, 05:28:56 PM »

I haven't listened to it enough yet, but picked up parts that reminded me of In the NAme of God, COnstant Motion and Ministry of Lost Souls

Yikes that’s not what I was hoping to hear.

• PR permission
« Reply #4210 on: October 08, 2021, 05:39:00 PM »

Me neither considering I don't like anything in those songs except a few riffs. Name of God has some killer guitar but it doesn't deserve to be as long as it is.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4211 on: October 08, 2021, 06:18:50 PM »
I'm starting to dig the title track a bit more. Mangini is ON FIRE!!!! Some of his fills are like "whoa, who dropped the bag of marbles on the hardwood floors???"

• PR permission
« Reply #4212 on: October 08, 2021, 06:30:51 PM »
I'm starting to dig the title track a bit more. Mangini is ON FIRE!!!! Some of his fills are like "whoa, who dropped the bag of marbles on the hardwood floors???"

I would expect no less   ;D anyone who has been paying attention the last 10 years knows the guy is exceptional. I've been following him since he was with Steve Vai's and am just thrilled he is in a band in which he can show off his unique ability. Can't wait to hear the new stuff.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4213 on: October 08, 2021, 07:56:02 PM »

Me neither considering I don't like anything in those songs except a few riffs. Name of God has some killer guitar but it doesn't deserve to be as long as it is.

Relax guys, you will enjoy this track, and the rest of the album. The part I mentioned is like 3 minutes of a 20 minute song which is VERY melodic. I'm sure I'll dig it when it's played live...I just think it lacks the sense of moving forward and the sense of purpose that most of their other epics have.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #4214 on: October 08, 2021, 09:04:46 PM »

I didn't like hearing the Innocence Faded or The Looking Glass references. They are in that 1/2% of songs I don't care for as much. But....really who knows how we are going to take it. And the songs are not those or ItNoG or CM. They are new!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4215 on: October 08, 2021, 11:42:27 PM »
Today (Friday the 8th) is the “official” day all media outlets were serviced the album. Reviews can be posted on or after October 16. I’m looking forward to reading them. I love it start to finish!!!

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #4216 on: October 08, 2021, 11:59:24 PM »
Today (Friday the 8th) is the “official” day all media outlets were serviced the album. Reviews can be posted on or after October 16. I’m looking forward to reading them. I love it start to finish!!!

I know it’s different for you Glasser as you’ve been listening to the album for a while now, but I reckon I’ll try the approach of not reading any reviews until I’ve heard the album this time round. I’ve read and heard enough to have a small sense of direction, so now happy to go in with that with only a couple weeks left. Certainly looking forward to it though! :tup

Offline illusionist

« Reply #4217 on: October 09, 2021, 12:34:19 AM »
After following this thread for a while,i have some observations.

I was very much looking forward to the album,after all the members' words about it,having the best ideas and best playing,JR saying it will blow our minds etc.
I have not heard anything off the new album,except from a few seconds off the Alien.

Now i have come to a point where i am bored of all this waiting since last October that they announced they started writing.
I don't know if one year (1 whole year!) was necessary for them to produce the album,or they deliberately delayed the release until they could tour again,
for the album to be fresh.

I loved that this time they took their time to make the new album,refining their compositions and production.
I hope in all next efforts,they will take the same approach of not rushing things and produce the best possible songs.
And that their own studio will work wonders for them.
But,1 year??? Come on.If it lasted longer i would probably lose any interest altogether,i already feel less impatience as the months passed.

Also.I have read what others have said about the album.
And,no matter how many opinions or reviews i read about it,there is no way i understand how DT15 sounds like until i hear it.

People have commented about it sounding fresh and 'different',and very melodic,and that's promising.
But if i haven't heard a note from it,i cannot imagine how it sounds like, and i will be led to false speculations about it.
The moment of truth will be when i press play.Only then i will know what it is all about.

PS. DT for me have always been all about magical moments in their songs,that either make me go WOW or cry.
Almost everybody said that is it a very strong team effort and all,but no one mentioned anything about majestic moments in there.
Like JP solo on Barstool Warrior,the melodic JR passage on Blind Faith,the ending of Finally Free,you get the idea.
That is why this time i won't read any other official review,and get to listen to the album somewhat unaffected from different opinions,
waiting to be pleasantly impressed.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4218 on: October 09, 2021, 01:53:50 AM »

I was very much looking forward to the album,after all the members' words about it,having the best ideas and best playing,JR saying it will blow our minds etc.
I have not heard anything off the new album,except from a few seconds off the Alien.

I've gotten to the point where I listen to the singles at least a couple of times and then quit after that l, until the album drops.
I would rather not listen to any songs until I can hear the whole album. This may sound weird,  but what if something happened to me and I got killed by a mack truck or something random like that?  Then at least I got to hear two new DT songs before that happened.  So that's why I embrace the singles in the meantime as life has no guarantee.. 👽👾
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4219 on: October 09, 2021, 02:13:20 AM »
Fear of death aside, I too heard the songs a couple of times and then "forgot" about it. I don't want to spend 2 months with 2 new songs and then hearing the other 5, I heard them, know what they're like, then I'll just wait.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4220 on: October 09, 2021, 04:11:04 AM »
Here's something that will get you all excited: John Myung's bass is heard FROM START TO FINISH on the album...and it sounds freaking gorgeous!!!! Sonically speaking, this is their best sounding album in a long while.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4221 on: October 09, 2021, 04:50:21 AM »
Here's something that will get you all excited: John Myung's bass is heard FROM START TO FINISH on the album...and it sounds freaking gorgeous!!!! Sonically speaking, this is their best sounding album in a long while.
Glad to hear this!  I thought his bass sounded quite present in d/t, and the albums have been getting better sonically.  The Astonishing especially sounds great to my ears.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #4222 on: October 09, 2021, 05:17:17 AM »

Unfortunately that's not the case for all media outlets. We are still waiting to get the promo, and seems like others in our wider region (eastern Europe/Balkans) haven't got the promo yet.

Maybe we're insignificant markets for the record label/band  :yeahright

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4223 on: October 09, 2021, 05:30:45 AM »
I thought Myungs bass sounded massive on DT12 myself. . .

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4224 on: October 09, 2021, 06:36:43 AM »
Although other production or mixing issues, I think the bass is very audible in ADTOE, DT12 and D/T, but not all the time, in every song. From the recent singles, I also think that it's even better on AVFTTOTW.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4225 on: October 09, 2021, 09:46:30 AM »

Unfortunately that's not the case for all media outlets. We are still waiting to get the promo, and seems like others in our wider region (eastern Europe/Balkans) haven't got the promo yet.

I’m pretty sure Bosk may have a better idea of why that is. Each territory has their own reps or team that handle releases.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 10:58:30 AM by Glasser »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4226 on: October 09, 2021, 10:32:06 AM »
I thought Myungs bass sounded massive on DT12 myself. . .

Indeed :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline LKap13

« Reply #4227 on: October 09, 2021, 11:26:21 AM »

Any new thoughts on the record today?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4228 on: October 09, 2021, 11:31:19 AM »

I'm digging it more and more. My favorites are Sleeping Giant and Awaken the Master, which of course have the DT DNA, but also show something different. The singles work waaaaay better in the context of the album than as stand alone tracks.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4229 on: October 09, 2021, 11:39:51 AM »

Judging by how neatly avoided this area has been on tours... yeah.

Just fyi, @ anyone important who may be reading this: just because people from these countries don't have physical and online music stores on the level of other countries (Serbia couldn't even access the iTunes store until last year) doesn't mean we're not buying Dream Theater stuff and that we're not interested to know what the new album sounds like before we buy it. We just buy it abroad and ship it to our countries. Yeah, sure, there's lots of piracy as well, but as Iron Maiden showed, you can make a few dollars out of playing shows to pirates.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline rab7

« Reply #4230 on: October 09, 2021, 11:41:30 AM »

I figured. The Alien is bombastic and frantic to set the tone, I would guess ATC is also heavy and maybe anthemic, and then they needed a change of pace with IM, followed by another high energy song in SG

I'm digging it more and more. My favorites are Sleeping Giant and Awaken the Master, which of course have the DT DNA, but also show something different. The singles work waaaaay better in the context of the album than as stand alone tracks.

Makes sense. The Alien is a great high energy song to set the tone, I imagine ATC is also high energy but in a different way, then IM is there for a change of pace, followed by another high energy SG
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 03:52:56 PM by rab7 »

• PR permission
« Reply #4231 on: October 09, 2021, 06:11:23 PM »
how are the lyrics on the album?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4232 on: October 09, 2021, 07:42:07 PM »

I focused on the music for now, haven't listened to it with attention to what the lyrics say.

• PR permission
« Reply #4233 on: October 09, 2021, 07:55:19 PM »

I focused on the music for now, haven't listened to it with attention to what the lyrics say.

I guess they don't stand out too much  :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4234 on: October 09, 2021, 08:19:22 PM »

I guess they don't stand out too much  :lol

Well, English is not my first language, so in order to properly check out the lyrics to a song in English I REALLY need to focus. I haven't had the chance to do it so far with the new album.