Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 349952 times)

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #3640 on: September 19, 2021, 04:55:10 PM »
apparently we may not be getting another single

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3641 on: September 19, 2021, 04:56:05 PM »
Same, same

To be serious though, I wish I loved it, but I don't.  It's not a big deal to me.  I'll still buy the album on the day and spin it and see.  Maybe a second single might change my mind.

Stop listening to it until the release.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 05:50:23 PM by Glasser »

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #3642 on: September 19, 2021, 05:44:54 PM »
Same, same

To be serious though, I wish I loved it, but I don't.  It's not a big deal to me.  I'll still buy the album on the day and spin it and see.  Maybe a second single might change my mind.

Name one DT album that you love every song equally. DT screwed this up BIG in my opinion. They should have released a good trailer of the album and not a single. This is not a Taylor Swift album. Progressive technical music should not be promoted the same as pop or any other genre. I judge an album in it’s entirety. The Alien is a piece of the puzzle and puzzles make sense and are better  completed. This is how I personally feel on this.

Invisible Monster or Behind the Veil?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3643 on: September 19, 2021, 05:47:47 PM »
Same, same

Name one DT album that you love every song equally. DT screwed this up BIG in my opinion. They should have released a good trailer of the album and not a single. This is not a Taylor Swift album. Progressive technical music should not be promoted the same as pop or any other genre. I judge an album in it’s entirety. The Alien is a piece of the puzzle and puzzles make sense and are better  completed. This is how I personally feel on this.

Surrender To Reason. Seriously… Invisible Monster.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3644 on: September 19, 2021, 05:50:36 PM »
Name one DT album that you love every song equally. DT screwed this up BIG in my opinion. They should have released a good trailer of the album and not a single. This is not a Taylor Swift album. Progressive technical music should not be promoted the same as pop or any other genre. The Alien is a piece of the puzzle and puzzles make sense and are better completed. This is how I personally feel on this. I believe if the album was heard from 1-7 from the start, each track would be appreciated as part of a bigger picture, a complete picture.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 06:06:23 PM by Glasser »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3645 on: September 19, 2021, 05:57:34 PM »
Patience, fans.  The album will be here next month.  Plenty of other good music in the world to keep us all busy until then.

Like others, I have only listened to The Alien twice.  I thought it was okay.  Not gonna listen again until I get the album.  Don't care if there are no more pre-releases.  But that's me.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #3646 on: September 19, 2021, 06:05:34 PM »
Name one DT album that you love every song equally. DT screwed this up BIG in my opinion. They should have released a good trailer of the album and not a single. This is not a Taylor Swift album. Progressive technical music should not be promoted the same as pop or any other genre. The Alien is a piece of the puzzle and puzzles make sense and are better completed. This is how I personally feel on this. I believe if the album was heard from 1-7 from the start each track would be appreciated as part of a bigger picture, a complete picture.

I remember Flying Colors released a trailer for their first album, and I think that was the right move. I think you may be correct on this. That being said, I don't even think DT has much control over the way music is released to their audience. Pretty sure that's all decided by InsideOut.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3647 on: September 19, 2021, 08:07:06 PM »
[...]
So, possibly controversial opinion here (less to rebut and more to just offer my own perspective on this, having spent 4 years studying mixing in a fair amount of detail, though would by no means call myself an expert):

Am I the only one who doesn't get the appeal of Kevin Shirley's mixes? The three factors that I feel identify them are mud, compression and a certain flatness. I think they sound fine in mellower moments like Hollow Years (even if I think James' vocals sound way too muffled on the album as a whole) and the first few minutes of Blind Faith. However, MP's snare at its loudest tends to be like half-way towards the kind of nauseating ringing (admittedly somewhat of a contemporary staple in a lot of alt rock / nu metal / alt metal at the time, possibly in part because that was when the loudness war really started kicking in, but I could be wrong) that defines the St Anger snare and the kick is compressed to the point of clipping in all of these. Today, I put Six Degrees up against the Apple Music master of Distance Over Time and... the latter smoked the former. Far more space and clarity, no clipping and a real sense of weight and punchiness. It was like going from two dimensions to three. Even Images and Words, despite its dated qualities, really benefits from the extra dynamics, separation and ambience that might put it over any Shirley mix imo.

[...]

I completely agree with this. Hot take, but I think even St. Anger (drums and overall sound) sounds better than the Shirley streak of albums (I'm listening to St. Anger right now, by the way).

You were intentionally listening to St Anger?  :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3648 on: September 19, 2021, 08:17:36 PM »
So a month after release in streaming, The Alien already has more than 800,000 streams in Spotify. I am pretty sure combined streams would be much higher now that Apple Music is already quite active. Not bad for a 9-minute lead single.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #3649 on: September 19, 2021, 08:22:19 PM »
The internet does love Hyperbole.

St Angry the worst album of all the historyyyyyy!!!

Er no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w02O-XdsXE

^ Listen to that for as long as you can stand it - then click on this immediately afterwards - - > https://youtu.be/QcHvzNBtlOw?t=122

Should have picked bad music, Metal Machine Music is unironically great; good Drone borderline Noise, despite being an effort at pissing off a label  :lol

Any music that is described as “drone” or “noise”…I’m out
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline illusionist

« Reply #3650 on: September 19, 2021, 11:53:55 PM »
Name one DT album that you love every song equally. DT screwed this up BIG in my opinion. They should have released a good trailer of the album and not a single. This is not a Taylor Swift album. Progressive technical music should not be promoted the same as pop or any other genre. The Alien is a piece of the puzzle and puzzles make sense and are better completed. This is how I personally feel on this. I believe if the album was heard from 1-7 from the start, each track would be appreciated as part of a bigger picture, a complete picture.

Didn't they release a trailer of their new album on their YT channel?
Didn't anyone watched/listened to it?I didn't because i want to listen to the whole thing all at once upon its release,
but it's strange that no one mentioned it.
Oh,and Glasser.You said the album is MASSIVE and EPIC.But then again you also said it's your second fave album of MM era.
Isn't it a little contradictory?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 03:34:39 AM by illusionist »

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3651 on: September 20, 2021, 01:06:41 AM »

Didn't they release a trailer of their new album on their YT channel?
Didn't anyone watched/listened to it?I didn't because i want to listen to the whole thing all at once upon its release,
but it's strange that no one mentioned it.

If you mean the deluxe box set trailer, that only has audio from The Alien.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline dream75

« Reply #3652 on: September 20, 2021, 01:49:44 AM »

???? The new single will be released this week

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #3653 on: September 20, 2021, 03:53:50 AM »
Same, same

Surrender To Reason. Seriously… Invisible Monster.

Since some people believe Invisible Monster will be a single, could you possibly give us a short description of the song?

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3654 on: September 20, 2021, 04:02:25 AM »
Blasted the alien in my car...And it's incredible when you hear all the little details and all that's happening in the song !
The hi-hat alone is a star :D
Sucks the song is overcompressed and sounds bland on everything else.
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3655 on: September 20, 2021, 04:06:11 AM »

Sucks the song is overcompressed and sounds bland on everything else.

Welcome to modern metal album production.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3656 on: September 20, 2021, 05:22:54 AM »
The bass did not sound good?

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #3657 on: September 20, 2021, 05:39:19 AM »
Name one DT album that you love every song equally.

Images and Words is for me the only DT album (and probably the ONLY album that I have heard) where I love every song equally, even the two minute "Wait for Sleep" that BTW I consider a part of Learning to Live. I can't keep myself from listening one of those two songs without the other.

:metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3658 on: September 20, 2021, 06:00:30 AM »
If you take away the onvious outliers on the Astonishing (which, by the way, still sounds a lot like ‘Dream Theater’), yes.

I mean, I don't know. Even if I took away The Astonishing from that list... that leaves us with 17 different styles I listed. I even forgot a few, like the way they play with ambient music on Behind the Veil and Illumination Theory. Good luck even getting most prog bands (particularly those on the more metal end) to cover elements of over a dozen different styles over four albums. Bands like Haken, Between the Buried and Me and Native Construct that actually manage to do that while maintaining a significant audience are quite a rare breed. I would also propose that the diversions sounding like Dream Theater kind of means that the integration is working. If you're able to blend all of those elements in a way that it's still identifiable as you, then you've done a good job it making it all your own rather than just imitating.

Agree, but let's not go too far overboard with claiming all those songs belong to different genres simpluy they incorporate elements from other styles. The general sound palette is similar throughout all their songs and some of the various substyles you've named are really not far removed from 'progressive metal' in general. Dream Theater are indeed also not unique in doing this and whether they're able to 'maintain a significant audience' is not really relevant.

Let's take Scenes as a reference point, it has acoustic / piano balladry (Regression, Through My Words), melodic prog metal (Strange Deja Vu), gospel / spiritual music (The Spirit Carries On, which I also missed as an element for The Bigger Picture and possibly This is the Life), ragtime (The Dance of Eternity... for like a few seconds), more kinda middle eastern vibes (Home, though also forgot for Lost Not Forgotten and Outcry), kinda... modern RnB ballad type stuff in the vein of Sade or someting (Through Her Eyes), jazz fusion style workouts (Beyond This Life), bits of musical theatre (Fatal Tragedy, One Last Time and Finally Free), a bit of bluesy hard rock in the vein of Deep Purple (the verse after the first solo in Beyond This Life) and prog rock (Finally Free).

And this is where I really start to lose you, because to me it doesn't matter one bit. This looks like desperately searching for different genres in music where they simply aren't. Dream Theater are still a progressive metal band and they simply take some elements from other styles to use. The core sound is still progressive metal (which can get sort-of diverse anyway), even if they do employ ragtime ('... for like a few seconds'). I also don't see a need for distinction between 'melodic prog metal', 'bits of musical theatre' or 'bluesy hard rock', since all those examples come from the same album and are actually quite similar. There's no need to go overboard with genre-tags here.

Give this to someone who knows the band from Images alone and I'd still bet they'd feel like it sounds like Dream Theater, even as it switches between around 10 styles. From my estimation too, DT12 (an album that tends to be regarded as having a bit less variety than usual, from what I can tell), still hosts around 7 fairly concrete different styles (which ADToE also roughly has, give or take a few), which even classifies metal as a singular one. If I acknowledged the kind of variety that metal has in its subgenres, then it'd be even more.

But it doesn't 'switch between 10 styles' at all (and neither does Images & Words). And don;t get me started on 'subgenres'. The need to categorise everything is really pointless, especially in this context. If anything, Dream Theater stay really true to their own style indeed, which is progressive metal with hints and small steps to other kinds of music.

I wonder if it's just that DT's modern brand of eclecticism tends to blend styles within the tracks (like the acoustic break in Fall Into the Light or the ambient / film score intro to Behind the Veil) and not necessarily always dedicate full tracks to stuff outside their usual stylistic centre. I still don't think that discounts the variety that's there though and hardly makes things homogenous when put in perspective. I think the only way DT might seem that way is if someone is going in with the expectation of Queen, King Crimson or The Beatles where depending on the album, each song almost sounds like a different band. Even in the 90s, that didn't really happen to that degree. Falling Into Infinity has a firmly identifiable sound to it from tracks like New Milennium, Lines in the Sand and Just Let Me Breathe affirming that.

I personally don't think Dream Theater, especially on their newer (read, everything since 8VM) albums, sounds 'eclectic' at all. I hate to go this direction, as a guitarist myself as well, but I feel like Petrucci is in part to blame for the more straightforward and formulaic approach, which I think is most easily heard on the self-titled (by miles their worst album if you ask me) and D/T (a step up, but still overall rather boring to my ears). I think Dream Theater's song were more diverse, or more playful, or blended more different styles, or had more unusual song-writing approaches on earlier records indeed. Many people blame Portnoy's departure for this, but looking back, I think this 'decline'* started with Train of Thought, their first album that actually went for a certain sound and went all the way to achieve that. Ever since, I feel like DT's music is more guitar-riff-based than a group-effort. Instead of interesting instrumental sections, the band opts for trade-off solos far more often. The result is more simple songs, less interplay between instruments (for example the instrumental sections in Metropolis, Beyond This Life, etc.), less interesting vocal lines and an overall 'dumbing-down'* of their music. I will say here that ADTOE and their vast song structures (see next quoted part) is indeed an exception!

* don't quote me on this for using these particular words, it's for lack of a better term.

Even from a bird's eye view, not thinking in terms of small scale genre integration, I don't think it can reasonably be said that DT have coasted on the same kind of album either... unless "same kind of album" literally means "progressive metal that is identifiable as Dream Theater". ADToE was a highly dynamic album with a very natural ebb and flow and vast song structures, DT12 tightened the lengths to deliver hookier tracks with an increased highlighting of symphonic and grandiose elments, TA went pretty much fully into musical theatre territory and D/T zeroed in on a more stripped down and aggressive sound that had a lot of more harmonically tense / edgier content.

Okay, so Dream Theater are pretty diverse.. depending on your frame of reference. I'm not saying I'm an expert and that you should listen to me, but a lot of metal bands (Dream Theater included) have a very narrow sound palette, so in the grand scheme of things, yes, Dream Theater have been doing the same thing (which is making good progressive metal albums). I think we can safely state though that compared to the average metal band, Dream Theater's sound palette is a bit wider, but that's likely also the case why a lot of us on this forums are/were drawn towards them in the first place. The only real outlier here, I think, is The Astonishing, which while stylistically not even THAT much different from earlier stuff, was different enough for lots of people to dislike it. That said, there's also a lot of people who love it. It's a polarising album, and I think that's the case because it's different. (On further thought, you might say the same about Train of Thought as well, actually).

tl;dr:[/i] I enjoy DT, but let's not pretend they play many different styles of music simply because they occasionally employ fragments of other genres in their music. I try to explain as a response to Enigmachine's post why I feel DT's sound has become more predictable and less adventurous in more recent years.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline rab7

« Reply #3659 on: September 20, 2021, 07:45:13 AM »
Quote from: illusionist link=topic=54868.msg2811257#msg2811257
Oh,and Glasser.You said the album is MASSIVE and EPIC.But then again you also said it's your second fave album of MM era.
Isn't it a little contradictory?

I don't see any contradiction there. You can call something massive and epic while liking something else more.

I consider 6DOIT massive and epic, but like SFAM better

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #3660 on: September 20, 2021, 09:01:54 AM »

You state this as if it's fact, but where has this been confirmed?

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #3661 on: September 20, 2021, 10:43:08 AM »

Is there any reason for them to release singles at this point?  They're not getting on the radio and any "videos" they release don't actually have them in it.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #3662 on: September 20, 2021, 10:45:24 AM »
Name one DT album that you love every song equally.

Awake
Images
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline rab7

« Reply #3663 on: September 20, 2021, 10:45:34 AM »

You state this as if it's fact, but where has this been confirmed?

Never confirmation, only speculation.

Is there any reason for them to release singles at this point?  They're not getting on the radio and any "videos" they release don't actually have them in it.

That's not up to them to decide. It's all InsideOut. Ideally I want 0 singles so I can hear 7 new songs on October 22. But InsideOut always puts out 3 singles

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3664 on: September 20, 2021, 10:46:53 AM »
That's not up to them to decide. It's all InsideOut. Ideally I want 0 singles so I can hear 7 new songs on October 22. But InsideOut always puts out 3 singles

You know you can just not listen to singles, right?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #3665 on: September 20, 2021, 10:57:18 AM »
If there is a single I listen to it, though I've learned not to overdo it to prevent fatigue. Personal preference though, I rather a teaser with multiple short clips similar to what was done for BCSL (IIRC MP brought it to the Eddie Trunk show)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3666 on: September 20, 2021, 11:00:33 AM »
It's Inside Out we're talking about, so we're definitely getting at least another single. When? We don't know yet, but I think it'll be quite soon.

Also, they did record a music video a few months ago, so that's definitely coming.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3667 on: September 20, 2021, 11:07:53 AM »

I kinda wish I had that option.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #3668 on: September 20, 2021, 11:13:08 AM »

I hope so. I want to get as much of the new album as possible all together. If a single is released, I am not patient enough to be able to wait and not listen to it
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3669 on: September 20, 2021, 11:17:08 AM »
Apologies in advance for all the text. (TLDR to Elite: We're talking past each other and I don't feel like you grapsed the point of what I was saying, so let's please just stop before this conversation gets even messier)

Agree, but let's not go too far overboard with claiming all those songs belong to different genres simpluy they incorporate elements from other styles. The general sound palette is similar throughout all their songs and some of the various substyles you've named are really not far removed from 'progressive metal' in general. Dream Theater are indeed also not unique in doing this and whether they're able to 'maintain a significant audience' is not really relevant.

Never claimed otherwise. I didn't say the songs belonged to different genres, merely that they incorporated elements of different styles. If I did that, you can remind me of where I stated this and I'll retract it. I bring up whether they're able to maintain a significant audience because it kinda matters to the argument imo if we're even able to see who the eclectic bands are. Someone could point to some band with less than 100 listeners on Spotify that have separate songs dedicated to reggae, hip hop, death metal, baroque, noise, ska, hard rock and folk, saying that it puts BtBaM and Mr Bungle to shame in terms of variety but if nobody really clicks with it and it all appears to be a novelty with all styles performed in a rough and rudimentary manner, then I don't think that really counts. 

And this is where I really start to lose you, because to me it doesn't matter one bit. This looks like desperately searching for different genres in music where they simply aren't. Dream Theater are still a progressive metal band and they simply take some elements from other styles to use. The core sound is still progressive metal (which can get sort-of diverse anyway), even if they do employ ragtime ('... for like a few seconds'). I also don't see a need for distinction between 'melodic prog metal', 'bits of musical theatre' or 'bluesy hard rock', since all those examples come from the same album and are actually quite similar. There's no need to go overboard with genre-tags here.

I think this is all a matter of perspective. In the vast scheme of things, DT incorporate a lot more influences and flavours than most bands I've heard. I also did not argue against DT having always had progressive metal as the basis for their sound. Plus, I don't know... even if prog metal is still the anchor in the albums, it's fair to say that something like The Spirit Carries On isn't really an example of progressive metal and has more in common with elements of a different sound as an individual song. Not to mention, even if it's for a few seconds, most bands don't really do diversions into wildly different styles in the middle of tracks like that. The fact that the ragtime bit is such a memorable moment to a lot of fans is a testament to that, I think. Maybe it's just me as well, but that Beyond This Life verse I pointed out doesn't seem to sound much like the material on One Last Time or Finally Free.

I'm not sure why this is something "desperate" to point out, which feels like a bit of an unnecessary attack (I don't think I did anything to insult you, after all). If there's an exaggeration of points here, it isn't coming from me. When you say this "they simply take some elements from other styles to use.", it feels like you're ignoring this:

Good luck even getting most prog bands (particularly those on the more metal end) to cover elements of over a dozen different styles over four albums.

Which feels like arguing against my point... by arguing my point but with a more dismissive tone.

But it doesn't 'switch between 10 styles' at all (and neither does Images & Words). And don;t get me started on 'subgenres'. The need to categorise everything is really pointless, especially in this context. If anything, Dream Theater stay really true to their own style indeed, which is progressive metal with hints and small steps to other kinds of music.

I mean... those points don't contradict? You can argue the significance (which wasn't really my point) of how prominent these other styles are compared to their main one, but even if it's on a fleeting level, if you're willing to take those styles as an accurate assumption, then it still switches between them, just not to equal degrees. If I implied otherwise, then that's my mistake. Plus, you imply that subgenres (or the "need to categorise everything") are pointless... while assigning Dream Theater the subgenre of progressive metal. By subgenres, I should've clarified that I mean stuff like metal, rock, jazz, blues etc. as primary genres and stuff like alt rock and prog metal as subgenres. darkshade made a point earlier that was one of the few I agreed with, that "Jazz has evolved beyond swing, bebop, post-bop, hard bop". Same applies to metal not just being a singular entity. If a band did an album which blended classic heavy metal, thrash, death, black, prog, symphonic and doom, I'd consider that a pretty varied affair. If you don't, then we simply draw distinctions at different levels. That doesn't mean I'm "desperately searching for different genres in music where they simply aren't".

I personally don't think Dream Theater, especially on their newer (read, everything since 8VM) albums, sounds 'eclectic' at all.

Kind of misses the point of what I'm saying. I was trying to get at how, while the progressive metal factor definitely sticks out because the songs themselves tilt that way, but that it's also generally more likely to have mid-song turns (not necessarily genre shifts, though often could be classed as such imo) in the vein of At Wit's End, Surrender to Reason, Illumination Theory or Fall Into the Light. In essense, I mean that while you're less likely to get something like I Walk Beside You or Misunderstood, there's also in increased likelihood of the As I Am / Panic Attack / Constant Motion of the album being a bit less of a pure expression of that style too imo. I'm not in the mood to argue this further, but I just wanted to set things straight on what I was actually getting at.

The definition of eclectic is "composed of elements drawn from various sources". In that context, I don't think what I pointed out has been unreasonable. I assure you that if there was a word for "draws from various sources, but with one being more prominent than the others", I would've wanted to use that instead.

I think Dream Theater's song were more diverse, or more playful, or blended more different styles, or had more unusual song-writing approaches on earlier records indeed.

So... I can't use this argument, but you can? The whole point of my style listing was to illustrate the kind of diversity that's still in the newer material in a way that was clearly recognisable, but that's all been brushed past and countered... with the same point but against those very albums. Hell, even if I didn't point that out with genres and instead simply pointed out the different vibe of the parts, I suspect that wouldn't have really changed the nature of the response, given that it was a "yes" to the question of homogeneity. Even aside from that, the playfulness is something we can agree to disagree on, because I still see a lot of fun and passion in the newer material and could pinpoint where I see this, same goes for unusual song-writing approaches (which I've recently discussed but could expand on further).

Many people blame Portnoy's departure for this, but looking back, I think this 'decline'* started with Train of Thought, their first album that actually went for a certain sound and went all the way to achieve that. Ever since, I feel like DT's music is more guitar-riff-based than a group-effort. Ever since, I feel like DT's music is more guitar-riff-based than a group-effort. Instead of interesting instrumental sections, the band opts for trade-off solos far more often. The result is more simple songs, less interplay between instruments (for example the instrumental sections in Metropolis, Beyond This Life, etc.), less interesting vocal lines and an overall 'dumbing-down'* of their music. I will say here that ADTOE and their vast song structures (see next quoted part) is indeed an exception!

* don't quote me on this for using these particular words, it's for lack of a better term.

I mean if A Dramatic Turn of Events was an exception, then The Astonishing should also be. Very few trade-off solos, differently structured songs, many instrumental sections that don't revolve around solos, a lot of interplay and layering, different sorts of vocal lines and a weaving of many leitmotifs for a pretty complex piece of work as a whole that I'd never describe as dumbed down. Even in DT12 and D/T, there are still quite a few instances of interesting (imo) counterpoint, neat vocal lines and cool compositional features that go on.

Just as a tip regarding those words, you could just say "I think they started losing me with Train of Thought" and "and an overall streamlining of their music" respectively instead.

I don't think we should argue this further though because at the end of the day, this is literally all a matter of opinion and even if we went into those details, I don't really see anything other than shrugged shoulders and a general sense of indifference coming from it.

Okay, so Dream Theater are pretty diverse.. depending on your frame of reference. I'm not saying I'm an expert and that you should listen to me, but a lot of metal bands (Dream Theater included) have a very narrow sound palette, so in the grand scheme of things, yes, Dream Theater have been doing the same thing (which is making good progressive metal albums).

Acts of any genre tend to play it safe, from what I've seen. I don't think this is necessarily exclusive to metal. Name people like Bjork, Between the Buried and Me, Kate Bush, Native Construct and Janelle Monae who really go wild in their diversity of sound and I will absolutely admit that acts like such can often make DT look relatively one dimensional in comparison... but that's really eclectic stuff that's a very rare breed. Most artists are not genre-benders and I'm not really claiming that DT are either (again, apologies if that was the implication), but they're not just playing their genre to the letter, even now. Not so eclectic to the point of distorting the boundaries of their genre, but definitely to the point of proving that these people do listen to and incorporate elements of different styles outside of their usual baseline. I'd wager that significantly more artists are playing their genre to the letter (and not just within metal, but within jazz, pop, rock, hip-hop etc.) and if not that, then their own niche of music that they've carved out for themselves. In case this gets misinterpreted, I'm not saying this makes DT better than all those bands or like they're being really clever with it, I just take the view that DT as members listen to stuff outside vanilla prog metal and that it reflects in their music often, even in the instances where it's more in the margins.

If you become used to a steady musical diet of some really varied bands then sure, an album like Distance Over Time might sound relatively monochromatic. I just personally disagree with that from the bands I've listened to (and I'm not unaware of bands that eclipse DT in this regard, as I've pointed out).

I think we can safely state though that compared to the average metal band, Dream Theater's sound palette is a bit wider, but that's likely also the case why a lot of us on this forums are/were drawn towards them in the first place.

This kinda proves the point that I've been making... if they're varied enough for that to be a draw to them, then how is it not fair to say that they have a certain brand of eclecticism? I acknowledge that the term is a relative one and it may not apply to everyone's understanding of the band (hence why I tried to dull the term a bit with "modern DT's brand of eclecticism" instead of outright calling it eclectic without any qualifying terms), but clearly it's not entirely inapplicable, no?

The only real outlier here, I think, is The Astonishing, which while stylistically not even THAT much different from earlier stuff, was different enough for lots of people to dislike it. That said, there's also a lot of people who love it. It's a polarising album, and I think that's the case because it's different. (On further thought, you might say the same about Train of Thought as well, actually).

I think this underestimates how polarising both DT12 and D/T have been as well and I'd say it makes sense given their very different approaches to their surrounding albums, whereas the upcoming release looks like it's going to have a bit more of a universal appeal. Again though, I don't really want to argue this any further.

tl;dr:[/i] I enjoy DT, but let's not pretend they play many different styles of music simply because they occasionally employ fragments of other genres in their music. I try to explain as a response to Enigmachine's post why I feel DT's sound has become more predictable and less adventurous in more recent years.

Okay but... could you please do it (and I mean this sincerely) without doing things like calling my arguments desperate? Again, it feels uncalled for, considering that I didn't characterise your own opinion as anything of the sort. It's okay if you hold that opinion, but why not just say something to the degree of:

"Yes, they have elements of other styles, but they're generally a too brief and locked in with their primary sound for me to really call them proper diversions into that territory. Still, even though this applies to their earlier material too, I think it comes across feeling more diverse as those diversions are a lot more common and are more likely to be musically highlighted through the composition and production values." which I'd say is kind of fair enough. Instead, there's all these assumptions with what I meant with what I said when you could just ask.

I also think "but let's not pretend they play many different styles of music simply because they occasionally employ fragments of other genres in their music." is a reductive and contradicting statement. No, I don't think DT should be classed as a prog metal / hard rock / musical theatre / classical etc. band, but I also think it'd be equally inaccurate to say that they only play one style of music and never stray from that path (note that I'm not saying you said this, because you even admit that they employ elements of other genres). That is, unless we're talking about generalities on a holistic album-to-album basis... which would feel like moving the goalposts a mile away.

Anyway, I only responded because I feel like my points were being misrepresented and I wanted to set things straight (and if it was something like the quote above, I likely wouldn't have), but I really don't want this chain to carry on further. Let's just amicably move on without stringing this conversation along this irrelevant tangent (and I recognise that I am to blame here in large part, due to these lengthy explanations of off topic issues).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 11:35:53 AM by Enigmachine »

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #3670 on: September 20, 2021, 11:57:01 AM »

I just heard The Alien again on Saturday on Siriux XM. I have heard it 4x and that's more than I have heard any other DT song in the last year.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3671 on: September 20, 2021, 12:18:43 PM »
Apologies in advance for all the text. (TLDR to Elite: We're talking past each other and I don't feel like you grapsed the point of what I was saying, so let's please just stop before this conversation gets even messier)

[...]

Anyway, I only responded because I feel like my points were being misrepresented and I wanted to set things straight (and if it was something like the quote above, I likely wouldn't have), but I really don't want this chain to carry on further. Let's just amicably move on without stringing this conversation along this irrelevant tangent (and I recognise that I am to blame here in large part, due to these lengthy explanations of off topic issues).

Thanks for responding. Sorry for being slightly blunt here and there. In general, I actually think we agree on quite a lot of points, maybe personal preferences for specific albums aside. Your post actually articulated quite some things better than I could do (and did in the - admittedly hastily written - post you quoted) and reading some of my words back in the parts you quoted makes it seem like an incoherent post as a whole, so that's a note to myself to proof-read better. Please know that I didn't respond to be belligerent or 'witty' or whatever, but because I enjoy these almost nerdy in depth exchanges about musical material.
Squ

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3672 on: September 20, 2021, 01:00:16 PM »
Thanks for responding. Sorry for being slightly blunt here and there. In general, I actually think we agree on quite a lot of points, maybe personal preferences for specific albums aside. Your post actually articulated quite some things better than I could do (and did in the - admittedly hastily written - post you quoted) and reading some of my words back in the parts you quoted makes it seem like an incoherent post as a whole, so that's a note to myself to proof-read better. Please know that I didn't respond to be belligerent or 'witty' or whatever, but because I enjoy these almost nerdy in depth exchanges about musical material.

Appreciate the cordial response, I do also concur on how we probably agree on a whole lot, which is why I generally prefer more constructive tones. I do get that sometimes people don't necessarily meant to come off as confrontational (something I've been guilty of in this thread) when it ends up happening, so I'm sure that's not what you intended (and am glad that you responded in the way you have here to clear things up). I certainly find the differences between new and old DT to be worth analysing in detail too, though probably in its own space.

Offline Trav86

Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline rab7

« Reply #3674 on: September 20, 2021, 01:20:00 PM »

Of course, but I have no self control. If it exists, I will listen to it