Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 350569 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #3080 on: September 07, 2021, 08:35:53 PM »
Indeed. Not everyone worships Images and Words so i'd hope it was better than that.

Doesn’t matter if you like it or not, the fact of it’s awesomeness is carved in stone. You missed out I guess.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3081 on: September 07, 2021, 08:37:04 PM »
Jeez all these glowing reviews and us serfs still have to wait 6 weeks. Thanks a lot.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #3082 on: September 08, 2021, 01:18:08 AM »
Myung getting sole lyric credit this time around rather than Myung/Petrucci co-credit.  I wonder if that means it’s all his own work this time.

Surrender to Reason is Myung not Myung/Petrucci

Yes but it’s long been hinted at that, whilst Myung has always been given a sole lyric credit, he actually  brings in something akin to poetry and the band (probably Petrucci) have to do some work to turn them into usable song lyrics.  On Distance Over Time, for the first time, Petrucci was given a co-write credit on Myung’s two songs and this seemed to be them finally acknowledging that he has some input on Myung penned songs. 

On this album though they’re back to giving Myung sole credit so I’m just vaguely interested if that is because Myung brought in a fully completed set of lyrics or whether Petrucci just decided he didn’t need to take credit for adjusting them like he did on D/T

JP song writing credit funny story. I heard JP’s wife was playing a riff and John “stole it”. LOL! That riff turned out to be The Mirror.

You mean a low B power chord chugged in groups of three? 😂
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #3083 on: September 08, 2021, 02:09:15 AM »
Indeed. Not everyone worships Images and Words so i'd hope it was better than that.

Images And Words status is deserved, to be fair. And I'm not even a huge fan of it as some are.

Doesn’t matter if you like it or not, the fact of it’s awesomeness is carved in stone. You missed out I guess.

Really boring way of approaching music, not gonna lie  :mehlin

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3084 on: September 08, 2021, 06:51:14 AM »
I like Arch era FW but Alder took them to an entire new level. It’s weird that Arch could have ended up in DT, imagine that? Would have been AWFUL and DT would not have had a long career. Now I’m picturing Ray Alder in DT and JLB in FW!  :lol

That would've been an interesting scenario. Ray is great on Parallels. I think it was there where he really "found" his voice. Such great tone.

But James was really such a driving force on those early DT albums. He was the difference maker. And I still remember thinking that he was the weak link during the I&W shows. Not that HE was weak, but that ANY vocalist would've been considered so.

As much as I like the other members, I wouldn't be a DT fan if it wasn't for James.  My hearing of I&W back in the day changed the game.  That was, like TAC said, all of it coming together.   It was like Rush, Maiden and Journey all got together, had a party and out came I&W.   

Having said that, I think I'm the only one here that doesn't give a rat's ass who writes the lyrics.   There is literally no connection between whether I like a particular lyric and who wrote it (including Portnoy).   

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3085 on: September 08, 2021, 07:06:44 AM »
Having said that, I think I'm the only one here that doesn't give a rat's ass who writes the lyrics.   There is literally no connection between whether I like a particular lyric and who wrote it (including Portnoy).

Add me to that list of those who don't care who wrote the lyrics. The final product is all I care about.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3086 on: September 08, 2021, 07:22:30 AM »
Agree with both of you. All of DT's lyricists have penned what I think are 'gems,' and they all have a dud or three as well.

Myung and James have the highest batting average (in my opnion), but they have way fewer at bats.

I've actually really grown to appreciate MP's lyrics in recent years. I was not a huge fan when he was in the band, but there's a directness to his approach that contrasts nicely with JP.

Obviously, JP has been the band's largest contributor, and to this day I still consider songs like 'Lines in the Sand,' 'This is the Life,' and 'Someone Like Him' (from Octavarium) to be some of the most poignant lyrics I have ever heard, bar none.

For a band that is so applauded (and rightfully so) for it's musical prowess, I've always considered the band's consistency in regard to lyrics to be one of their secret weapons.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #3087 on: September 08, 2021, 07:53:25 AM »
I'm not a lyrics person in general.  I feel like one day I will start to care about lyrics and it will be like getting into DT all over again.

Outside of The Astonishing and Scenes From a Memory I'm not sure I even know what a single song is about from DT. 

But it's not exclusive to them,  I just hardly listen to lyrics.  I can sing the words to a sing sometimes and still have no clue what it's about haha.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #3088 on: September 08, 2021, 07:56:07 AM »
   It was like Rush, Maiden and Journey all got together, had a party and out came I&W.   

I just want to point out how much I love this analogy.  :lol
I’d like to add that Metallica and Kansas showed up and had a few beers as well!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3089 on: September 08, 2021, 07:58:55 AM »
I'm not a lyrics person in general.  I feel like one day I will start to care about lyrics and it will be like getting into DT all over again.

Outside of The Astonishing and Scenes From a Memory I'm not sure I even know what a single song is about from DT. 

But it's not exclusive to them,  I just hardly listen to lyrics.  I can sing the words to a sing sometimes and still have no clue what it's about haha.

I hear you there, and you are definitely not alone.

What I appreciate about DT, as opposed to a 'heart-on-your-sleeve' singer/songwriter (many of whom I listen to), is that even if I have no idea what the lyricist's specific inspiration was, a lot of their tracks inspire a range of thoughts and emotions to me.

I mean, knowing that 'Take Away My Pain' was inspired by JP's father certainly aids in appreciating the song, but long before I knew that fact, the track resonated with me on a personal level.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #3090 on: September 08, 2021, 08:03:58 AM »
I think JM has the most talent for writing lyrics

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3091 on: September 08, 2021, 08:32:50 AM »
Labrie is the best lyricist for me. At Wit's End, Disappear, and Medicate are amazing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3092 on: September 08, 2021, 08:38:40 AM »
I still feel like I&W is still their best album, lyrically.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3093 on: September 08, 2021, 08:40:49 AM »
Labrie is the best lyricist for me. At Wit's End, Disappear, and Medicate are amazing.

As I mentioned before, I just care about the final product. But the only songs from James I don't care much about is Anna Lee and Prophets of War. Every other song he wrote have great lyrics (I would add Bling Faith and Vacant to your list).

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #3094 on: September 08, 2021, 08:56:03 AM »

Disappear's lyrics are simultaneously amazing and impossible to listen to (without being incredible sad).  Fairly sure they're my favorite lyrics ever by anyone.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3095 on: September 08, 2021, 09:01:51 AM »

Disappear's lyrics are simultaneously amazing and impossible to listen to (without being incredible sad).  Fairly sure they're my favorite lyrics ever by anyone.

Incredible song and lyrics.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3096 on: September 08, 2021, 09:02:09 AM »

As I mentioned before, I just care about the final product. But the only songs from James I don't care much about is Anna Lee and Prophets of War. Every other song he wrote have great lyrics (I would add Bling Faith and Vacant to your list).

I wonder what kind of song "Bling Faith" would be...  :lol

"Disappear" is one of my favorites too, and over-all, I'd say James has a fairly good lyrical track record with the band. Certainly a bit better than JP, but slightly less so than JM.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #3097 on: September 08, 2021, 09:13:59 AM »

Anna Lee deals with a heavy topic and has some incredible lyrics… Hauntingly beautiful song and lyrics…

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3098 on: September 08, 2021, 09:33:00 AM »
I wonder what kind of song "Bling Faith" would be...  :lol
:biggrin:

Anna Lee deals with a heavy topic and has some incredible lyrics… Hauntingly beautiful song and lyrics…

No disagreement there. It's a beautiful song that does nothing for me. I have no hate for the song itself and nothing against others liking it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3099 on: September 08, 2021, 09:36:26 AM »

Wouldn't argue that.   

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3100 on: September 08, 2021, 09:39:08 AM »

Wouldn't argue that.

WELL NOW I HAVE TO DON'T I??!?!

Honestly though, the lyrics are fine but outside of bits here and there, I can't connect with much. I strongly prefer Awake lyrically, even parts of 6DOIT (not the song).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3101 on: September 08, 2021, 09:44:49 AM »

Wouldn't argue that.

Honestly though, the lyrics are fine but outside of bits here and there, I can't connect with much. I strongly prefer Awake lyrically, even parts of 6DOIT (not the song).
Same
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3102 on: September 08, 2021, 09:50:22 AM »

Wouldn't argue that.

Well, remember, I don't really care all that much about DT's lyrics, to be honest.  The only songs I could even quote you more than one line off the top of my head are Pull Me Under, Metropolis, Surrounded, Misunderstood, This Is The Life, and... yeah, that may be it.   So with 3 out of 5, there you go.    I just LOVE the way the whole piece works together.  Maybe that's a hidden compliment to the lyrics - they blend with the music so well to create a scene - but to single out "John P." or "John M." or Mike P." or "Mike M." or "James", can't do it.  I guess, MAYBE I could for Kevin Moore, but even then, it's not like I know he's any better than anyone else.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3103 on: September 08, 2021, 10:00:24 AM »
Images and Words does not contain the song "Voices" and therefore cannot be their best album. :P
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3104 on: September 08, 2021, 10:12:45 AM »
Images and Words does not contain the song "Voices" and therefore cannot be their best album. :P

Well, "Voices" is a top ten DT song for me - maybe even top five - so that's a paradox.  :)

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #3105 on: September 08, 2021, 10:28:49 AM »
I think WDADU has best lyrics along with Awake.

Learning To Live and Disappear stand alone one of best lyrics in their discography.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3106 on: September 08, 2021, 10:43:13 AM »
Awake's lyrics on the whole did the best job of combining vivid imagery with personal emotion. Fun to sing along with too.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #3107 on: September 08, 2021, 11:48:36 AM »
http://www.pasifagresif.com/2021/09/dream-theater-roportaj/

In this interview which is Turkish (my main language), James said,

1- He defines new album like I&W-SDOIT and ToT mix.
2- He wrote every vocal melodies for this album alone and think one of his strong melodies he ever did.
3- He said DoT vocals are kinda clean and still but new album vocals are agressive and strong like ToT-SDOIT vocals.
4- The closer epic has every element that DT has.

Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3108 on: September 08, 2021, 12:33:22 PM »

2- He wrote every vocal melodies for this album alone and think one of his strong melodies he ever did.
3- He said DoT vocals are kinda clean and still but new album vocals are agressive and strong like ToT-SDOIT vocals.

That's awesome to hear!!!! Also, I'm surprised at how much James said. I interviewed him a while ago before DOT came out - this was arranged with his personal assistant, and didn't have anything to do with promoting DOT - and he was really, really nice and talkative, but didn't give me any details about the album, which then had just been recorded.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3109 on: September 08, 2021, 12:36:05 PM »

The Alien does have that 6DOIT mixed with TOT vibe and atmosphere to it...It's as if Blind Faith and Honor Thy Father fused into one.  :lol

The 2nd point is really interesting. So they got rid of that lyricist rule and allowed their singer to finally create the melodies. No wonder why The Alien has some great melodies.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3110 on: September 08, 2021, 12:38:05 PM »
I am officially PUMPED for this album!!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3111 on: September 08, 2021, 12:40:31 PM »
As a melody guy, it actually piques my curiosity to hear James' input in that regard.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3112 on: September 08, 2021, 12:47:42 PM »
Oh great...now a pagefull of

And I won't answer YET.  :lol  But when the album drops, I'll be happy to revisit and tell people what it is that I am thinking right now in that regard.  On my first couple of listens, there are basically three things within the DT family that this album immediately reminded me of.  I'll be sure to share that later.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3113 on: September 08, 2021, 12:52:37 PM »
As a melody guy, it actually piques my curiosity to hear James' input in that regard.

What's a melody guy?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3114 on: September 08, 2021, 12:53:58 PM »

Check out JLB's last two solo albums he went in a very heavy direction there
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again