Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 350610 times)

Offline illusionist

Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #3045 on: September 07, 2021, 05:36:00 AM »
To Glasser,Bosk,Noxon etc.
Would you say it's a guitar driven album,or does everyone shine equally?
Who of the members impresses you the most?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 06:25:37 AM by illusionist »

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3046 on: September 07, 2021, 06:25:31 AM »
I don't know that I would take a hard line on it, but I think what most folks consider their "classic period" is I&W - SFAM. 
I wonder why six degrees is out...Is it because of the glass prison ? Because with a 45 minutes concept song and other songs like blind faith somewhere between FII and more progAF releases, to me there is a bubble with scenes+six degrees+LTE1+LTE2 that is hard to cut in half :)

But I recognize having felt disappointed on first listen of TOT and following albums, I guess in my tastes I'm more proggy than chuggy...
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #3047 on: September 07, 2021, 06:26:11 AM »
-removed by user-
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 02:15:44 AM by Kyo »
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #3048 on: September 07, 2021, 06:26:50 AM »
If we consider SDOIT - OCTV era DT's classics then I'll be quite satisfied how AWFTTOFTW sounds. And If it sounds like 90's classics like I&W-Awake and even FII I'll constantly wet my pants. (But pretty sure my pants are safe but one can dream.)
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #3049 on: September 07, 2021, 07:07:13 AM »
https://twitter.com/dreamtheaternet/status/1435227007462395904

It seems second single video clip includes all members performing if I'm not wrong. See: 00.30
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #3050 on: September 07, 2021, 07:11:03 AM »
It is a guitar driven album, Rudess has a lot of great moments but the MVP is definitely Mike Mangini IMO.

And I agree with Rich: best album of the Mangini era (The Astonishing will remain one of the best albums of DT and better than AVFTTOTW but for me, it's more of a side project/musical by JP and JR than a DT album). And all things considered, it might be the best album since ... Train of Thought (again if I don't take The Astonishing into account).

And the album is NOT a return to the sound of the 90s or the 00s. It's a modern album very much in line with the other Mangini albums, very much in line with the "classic DT albums" that were created after Train of Thought. It has certains vibes that might remind you of a particular aspect or a particular riff of SFAM in one song or SDOIT etc...but it's not SFAM 2 or SDOIT 2. It would be DT12 but way better, with a better mix (not hard to do btw) and no fillers.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #3051 on: September 07, 2021, 07:14:49 AM »
It is a guitar driven album, Rudess has a lot of great moments but the MVP is definitely Mike Mangini IMO.

And I agree with Rich: best album of the Mangini era (The Astonishing will remain one of the best albums of DT and better than AVFTTOTW but for me, it's more of a side project/musical by JP and JR than a DT album). And all things considered, it might be the best album since ... Train of Thought (again if I don't take The Astonishing into account).

And the album is NOT a return to the sound of the 90s or the 00s. It's a modern album very much in line with the other Mangini albums, very much in line with the "classic DT albums" that were created after Train of Thought. It has certains vibes that might remind you of a particular aspect or a particular riff of SFAM in one song or SDOIT etc...but it's not SFAM 2 or SDOIT 2. It would be DT12 but way better, with a better mix (not hard to do btw) and no fillers.

And what is your thought about James' vocal performance and lines overall?
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3052 on: September 07, 2021, 07:21:44 AM »
I don't know that I would take a hard line on it, but I think what most folks consider their "classic period" is I&W - SFAM. 
I wonder why six degrees is out...Is it because of the glass prison ? Because with a 45 minutes concept song and other songs like blind faith somewhere between FII and more progAF releases, to me there is a bubble with scenes+six degrees+LTE1+LTE2 that is hard to cut in half :)
Well, the commonality of those is the new "write in the studio, record immediately" method that carried over from the the LTE albums to DT.

But Six Degrees is quite a bit different than any DT that came before it, especially in how experimental they were with new (to them) recording/production techniques.  It's still Dream Theater, but it's also clearly different sounding.  If they didn't include title track, the difference would be even more stark.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #3053 on: September 07, 2021, 07:58:20 AM »
Thanks for the hints people. What i wanted from modern day Dream Theater seems to be provided with this album. Prominent contributions from Mike with a good production was long overdue.
I'm also curious about the documentary that's part of the deluxe package. I kind of miss the old-school updates Jordan used to give us through his social media. Seems like he's going 100% behind the patreon thing i guess.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3054 on: September 07, 2021, 08:03:12 AM »
I don't think he'll mind me reposting his comment on FB, but this is what Rich Wilson said regarding AVFtTotW:
I've been living with the new Dream Theater album now for a couple of weeks. I think I can confidently say it's their finest release in a decade!

Sounds good to me!

Well, IIRC, Rich Wilson has some really strange opinions in the DT book (that broke from the consensus) about their songs and albums, so I will be taking his comments with a grain of salt. ;)

That said, if they manage to top The Astonishing, I will be ecstatic.  :tup :tup

Sounds like you have some consensus breaking opinions yourself there.  Assuming you’re not being sarcastic of course.

Haha, we all do!

It's cool that someone who has heard the album is talking it up, but I am still taking it with a grain of salt.  That is all I am saying.

Absolutely, until I hear it, everything anyone says will be taken for what it is, their subjective opinion.  No guarantee that my opinion will be the same.  Like you say though, it’s better to hear good early reactions than bad.  It would be a concern if everyone was saying it sucks.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3055 on: September 07, 2021, 08:29:31 AM »
I'm also curious about the documentary that's part of the deluxe package.

I'm curious about this, too. Do we know if it's at least longer than four minutes this time?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3056 on: September 07, 2021, 08:32:45 AM »

I'm curious about this, too. Do we know if it's at least longer than four minutes this time?
around 38 minutes
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3057 on: September 07, 2021, 08:34:21 AM »

around 38 minutes

Thanks.

Well, it's an improvement ;D
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #3058 on: September 07, 2021, 12:37:01 PM »
On the new promo vídeo, the lyrics for Sleeping Giant, Awaken the Master and Transcending Time appear as they are in the artwork. I tried to zoom in and look at the authors and some bits of words but couldn't do it, too blurry. Did someone get anything?

https://youtu.be/HkDxH1hH8kc

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3059 on: September 07, 2021, 12:42:22 PM »
On the new promo vídeo, the lyrics for Sleeping Giant, Awaken the Master and Transcending Time appear as they are in the artwork. I tried to zoom in and look at the authors and some bits of words but couldn't do it, too blurry. Did someone get anything?

Not from that video, but I watched this new interview with JP and he indirectly confirms he wrote the lyrics for the epic.

https://youtu.be/9iftHMT5pOo
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3060 on: September 07, 2021, 12:51:10 PM »

I could be wrong but Transcending Time looks like JM as the writer. Lyrics seem to start with "Drifting in a far off place, I _____ the courtyard, _____ wings of thoughts, waiting in the bind"? There's also a line towards the end "stars in the abyss".

Awaken the Masters, the lyrics are very clear and easy to read from that video
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lightbug

« Reply #3061 on: September 07, 2021, 01:14:10 PM »

Offline dream75

« Reply #3062 on: September 07, 2021, 01:59:34 PM »

TT is written by Petrucci and ATM by Myung
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 02:06:09 PM by dream75 »

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #3063 on: September 07, 2021, 02:06:50 PM »
SPOILERS - Lyrics below for TT and ATM - accurate mostly I think

Transcending Time
Lyrics by John Petrucci

Drifting in a far off place
I reach the countryside
Seeking wings of thought
Waiting in the blind

Enchanted and transfixed
I am pulled into the still
By a backward ticking clock
Held against my will

Illusions turn to dust
Scatter to the wind
Like dreaming while awake

Signals in the mist
Abstract state of mind
Stars in the abyss
Transcending time

Midnight in the garden
Digging for a spark
Where seeds of inspiration
Lie buried in the dark

Attention starts to wonder
As the poet lifts his pen
And the critic from within
Is silenced once again

Limits leave no trace
Ashes in the rain
Lost and far away

Signals in the mist
Abstract state of mind
Stars in the abyss
Transcending time

Signals in the mist
Stars in the abyss

Euphoric obsession
Without conscious intention
Being pulled by the current
On a vessel steered by someone else

Transcending time
Transcending time

Awaken the Master
Lyrics by John Myung

Keeping your way
On an honest path where the air is thin
The angel of balance
Keeps you alive

A flowers unfolds
A heartbeat brings new meaning to the universe
The angel of balance
Keeps you strong
Discovering what has been along

Spinning through life
Lost in the spiral of time

Turning the stone
Shades of darkness and light
Remember hereafter

You made it to the top
Just to find out
You’re only halfway there
All along missing the point of the journey

The will of the soul
Like a peak so high
You look inside to rise
Searching out a dream
Climbing, reaching further
And the voices of the angels bring you closer

Spinning through life

Turning the stone
Shades of darkness and light
Remember hereafter

Spinning through life

Turning the stone
Embracing the truth that we find

Remember hereafter
The end of a chapter
Awaken the master
Awaken the master

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #3064 on: September 07, 2021, 02:35:00 PM »
Thanks guys!!  :metal

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3065 on: September 07, 2021, 04:17:51 PM »
Myung getting sole lyric credit this time around rather than Myung/Petrucci co-credit.  I wonder if that means it’s all his own work this time.

Offline emtee

« Reply #3066 on: September 07, 2021, 04:20:15 PM »
Extremely excited to hear universal, positive comments on the production. Modern DT production choices, minus DoT, which I like, has been a big issue for me.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3067 on: September 07, 2021, 04:49:52 PM »
As long as they're are more moments like the ending to The Alien, or sections like the "Ask me to listen..." part of At Wit's End, I will be satisfied.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3068 on: September 07, 2021, 04:58:09 PM »
Indeed. Not everyone worships Images and Words so i'd hope it was better than that.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3069 on: September 07, 2021, 05:58:51 PM »
Indeed. Not everyone worships Images and Words so i'd hope it was better than that.

Once again, when I&W was released NOTHING came close to it at that time (Fates Warning No Exit was damn close tho as that was released before it). If you got into DT later on I can understand this opinion. That album literally created bands to form and try to be DT and a lot of them like Empty Tremor and Arkhe from Italy started the “Italian Dreamers” movement. I&W was the most pioneering album in prog Metal EVER, period.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #3070 on: September 07, 2021, 06:14:09 PM »
Myung getting sole lyric credit this time around rather than Myung/Petrucci co-credit.  I wonder if that means it’s all his own work this time.

Surrender to Reason is Myung not Myung/Petrucci

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3071 on: September 07, 2021, 06:29:54 PM »

Once again, when I&W was released NOTHING came close to it at that time (Fates Warning No Exit was damn close tho as that was released before it). If you got into DT later on I can understand this opinion. That album literally created bands to form and try to be DT and a lot of them like Empty Tremor and Arkhe from Italy started the “Italian Dreamers” movement. I&W was the most pioneering album in prog Metal EVER, period.

I agree on the I&W point. It was the album that out it ALL together. I liked Jim Matheos' vision, but I wouldn't call Not Exit damn close. Perfect Symmetry maybe, but No Exit is a whole 'nother animal.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Trav86

« Reply #3072 on: September 07, 2021, 06:34:51 PM »

I agree on the I&W point. It was the album that out it ALL together. I liked Jim Matheos' vision, but I wouldn't call Not Exit damn close. Perfect Symmetry maybe, but No Exit is a whole 'nother animal.

Yeah, Perfect Symmetry and Parallels.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3073 on: September 07, 2021, 07:03:57 PM »

I loved No Exit, still do. But damn close May be pushing it you’re right but “Ivory Gate of Dreams” is Epic!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3074 on: September 07, 2021, 07:06:17 PM »

I loved No Exit, still do. But damn close May be pushing it you’re right but “Ivory Gate of Dreams” is Epic!

Oh hell yes. I remember getting the floppy of Anarchy Divine attached to the cover of a Kerrang. Honestly, I was happy to hear that FW had a new singer.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3075 on: September 07, 2021, 07:15:14 PM »

Oh hell yes. I remember getting the floppy of Anarchy Divine attached to the cover of a Kerrang. Honestly, I was happy to hear that FW had a new singer.

I like Arch era FW but Alder took them to an entire new level. It’s weird that Arch could have ended up in DT, imagine that? Would have been AWFUL and DT would not have had a long career. Now I’m picturing Ray Alder in DT and JLB in FW!  :lol

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3076 on: September 07, 2021, 07:20:59 PM »

Yes but it’s long been hinted at that, whilst Myung has always been given a sole lyric credit, he actually  brings in something akin to poetry and the band (probably Petrucci) have to do some work to turn them into usable song lyrics.  On Distance Over Time, for the first time, Petrucci was given a co-write credit on Myung’s two songs and this seemed to be them finally acknowledging that he has some input on Myung penned songs. 

On this album though they’re back to giving Myung sole credit so I’m just vaguely interested if that is because Myung brought in a fully completed set of lyrics or whether Petrucci just decided he didn’t need to take credit for adjusting them like he did on D/T

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3077 on: September 07, 2021, 07:24:05 PM »
I like Arch era FW but Alder took them to an entire new level. It’s weird that Arch could have ended up in DT, imagine that? Would have been AWFUL and DT would not have had a long career. Now I’m picturing Ray Alder in DT and JLB in FW!  :lol

That would've been an interesting scenario. Ray is great on Parallels. I think it was there where he really "found" his voice. Such great tone.

But James was really such a driving force on those early DT albums. He was the difference maker. And I still remember thinking that he was the weak link during the I&W shows. Not that HE was weak, but that ANY vocalist would've been considered so.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3078 on: September 07, 2021, 07:48:16 PM »

Yes but it’s long been hinted at that, whilst Myung has always been given a sole lyric credit, he actually  brings in something akin to poetry and the band (probably Petrucci) have to do some work to turn them into usable song lyrics.  On Distance Over Time, for the first time, Petrucci was given a co-write credit on Myung’s two songs and this seemed to be them finally acknowledging that he has some input on Myung penned songs. 

On this album though they’re back to giving Myung sole credit so I’m just vaguely interested if that is because Myung brought in a fully completed set of lyrics or whether Petrucci just decided he didn’t need to take credit for adjusting them like he did on D/T

Breaking All Illusions is also JM + JP. I'm also interested in what's the criteria behind JP getting extra credit or not for "helping" with those lyrics. IIRC, JP said that it was JM who wanted to give him lyric writing credits for both FITL and S2N.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3079 on: September 07, 2021, 08:13:44 PM »

« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 04:08:45 PM by Glasser »