Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 349260 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I think they already showed us the new album artwork, only that it's super small.

If you look closely at the very start of the video, there are three images on that viewmaster disc. The 3rd one seems to have the "Dream Theater" font on top, the shoes also appear there.

Hugh Syme strikes again

Was there any doubt?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Kinda looks like the get the album MS Paint game.

Why has this thread not been started?!?!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
The video is really tricky, but I think it might be something about Dream Theater.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!

Offline MirrorMask

The guys describing the album as "intense" and the norwegian landscape of the supposed cover art means only one thing:

DT goes black metal  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Look at google images for Kjeragbolten. There exists literally thousands of images that are very similar to that image.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Well, at least it was funny how the cover's signature of Hugh Syme was 100% confirmed! And we saw just a super small version of it! :lol
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline MirrorMask

Look at google images for Kjeragbolten. There exists literally thousands of images that are very similar to that image.

And at least in my search, the supposed cover art is literally the second result.

I hope this doesn't mean that Hugh Syme has gone beyond using stock images and now is getting paid just to google photos  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

And at least in my search, the supposed cover art is literally the second result.

I hope this doesn't mean that Hugh Syme has gone beyond using stock images and now is getting paid just to google photos  :lol

At least he added that pair of shoes :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Assumptions, assumptions. You know what happens when you ASSuME...

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I can't wait to play find the watermark.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
So yeah as someone else said - copy and pasting two stock images together was too much like hard work - he literally googled a photo and sent the band an invoice.  :rollin

Offline emtee

The guy balancing on a unicycle from ADToE needs to be on that boulder :)

Album title guess: Caught Between A Rock And A Hard Place

Offline Setlist Scotty

Isn't that the online DT fan way, though?  :lol

Remember the fiasco when the track listing for ToT was first announced? MP was working with Neal Morse at the time and people took 1 + 1 and came up with 3. All of the sudden DT was becoming a Christian band because of MP working with Neal based strictly on the song titles.  :facepalm:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
I can't wait to play find the watermark.

For the record, I'd like to point out that Zook said this first.. I was only thinking it.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline gzarruk

I wonder if this album will mark the return of "water's edge" :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Enigmachine

I like how people are assuming what Hugh did from a blurry image that we can't fully make out the details of yet. Yes, we can see that it's Kjeragbolten, but as of yet we do not know how much editing may have taken place to alter the image or which exact image it's even based on.

Hugh Syme strikes again

*snip*

A closer look would show that this isn't the same image.

So yeah as someone else said - copy and pasting two stock images together was too much like hard work - he literally googled a photo and sent the band an invoice.  :rollin

We certainly don't know this. Much like noxon said, we should be careful about making assumptions.

Offline Mladen

Isn't that the online DT fan way, though?  :lol

Remember the fiasco when the track listing for ToT was first announced? MP was working with Neal Morse at the time and people took 1 + 1 and came up with 3. All of the sudden DT was becoming a Christian band because of MP working with Neal based strictly on the song titles.  :facepalm:
Wait, did this really happen?  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

I don't remember it being so literally, as in "OMG DT converted and became a christian band", but definitively the song titles gave concers about, if not a literal conversion, a very strong religious-oriented set of lyrics.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
The guy balancing on a unicycle from ADToE needs to be on that boulder :)

Album title guess: Caught Between A Rock And A Hard Place

Between A Place and Hard Rock  :metal

Offline Trav86

I don't remember it being so literally, as in "OMG DT converted and became a christian band", but definitively the song titles gave concers about, if not a literal conversion, a very strong religious-oriented set of lyrics.

Oh yeah, I remember the MP forum discussions about this.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
As long as the music had stayed the same I wouldn't even care. Arent Myung, Petrucci and Mangini all Christian / Catholic anyway ?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
As long as the music had stayed the same I wouldn't even care. Arent Myung, Petrucci and Mangini all Christian / Catholic anyway ?
IIRC, John and Mike are. Not sure about JM.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Hanz Gruber

I think they already showed us the new album artwork, only that it's super small.

If you look closely at the very start of the video, there are three images on that viewmaster disc. The 3rd one seems to have the "Dream Theater" font on top, the shoes also appear there.

Hugh Syme strikes again

Was there any doubt?

Is the name of the new album "About to Fall Into Infinity"?

Offline Hanz Gruber

It's a remix of The Astonishing done by Portnoy, with tracks reduced in length and an improved storyline.

I am pretty sure if MP did any editing, the songs would not be any shorter.

MP would take over the vocals to some of the Astonishing characters and growl about sucking on a pipe.

Offline hunnus2000

OK but the real question is - would ja?

I mean if you (in magic land) had a place where you lived and that was a shortcut to say get to school would you cut across that way?

Online geeeemo

It's too far down. The step to the rock. Nope...well maybe, after I watch others do it and it looks steady.

Offline hunnus2000

It's too far down. The step to the rock. Nope...well maybe, after I watch others do it and it looks steady.

I would think that the wedged rock would be solid and if you look at the direction the kid is going, there looks to be an easy step up. Now going back looks to be a little more difficult.

But I agree, let someone else make the first mistake!  :biggrin:

Offline gzarruk

I would think that the wedged rock would be solid and if you look at the direction the kid is going, there looks to be an easy step up. Now going back looks to be a little more difficult.

But I agree, let someone else make the first mistake!  :biggrin:

The unicycle guy had it way harder on ADTOE ;) :lol

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
The rock has thousands of visitors per year, with no accidents this far. Might have something to do with the fact that the entrance to the rock itself is behind the ledge to the left.

https://www.aftenbladet.no/lokalt/i/vqoow/er-det-lurt-aa-sikre-kjeragbolten-med-kjetting

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Unicycle guy had it way harder on ADTOE ;) :lol

Nah it was PLANE Sailing :neverusethis:

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Unicycle guy had it way harder on ADTOE ;) :lol

Nah it was PLANE Sailing :neverusethis:
:rollin  :hefdaddy thanks so much mate, seriously
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Setlist Scotty

Not everyone took it so literally, but there were a few that took the assumption to the extreme and were freaking out. In any case, it was ridiculous any way you cut it.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline MirrorMask

Not everyone took it so literally, but there were a few that took the assumption to the extreme and were freaking out. In any case, it was ridiculous any way you cut it.

Oh that's for sure, I was never really concerned about it.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
The guys describing the album as "intense" and the norwegian landscape of the supposed cover art means only one thing:

DT goes black metal  :metal

You jest but I would absolutely LOVE to hear DT attempt the black metal sound for at least one song.