Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 346491 times)

Offline the_silent_man

Re: DT15 in progress. Photo and video shoots in May (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #1330 on: May 22, 2021, 09:43:18 AM »
While it is true that the 2 years gap between albums that we have been used to through the 2000s seems to be growing a bit lately, I don't think DT are releasing albums any slower than most bands these days. Its not like they're spending years making an album like some bands (Metallica, megadeth etc). It's also a different beast these days to the 70s, and promotion is more important than ever to try and sell as much as possible in a struggling industry.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1331 on: May 22, 2021, 08:55:38 PM »
I hope there's not another Easter Egg hunt like they did for the last album where only computer programmers could play and everyone else was entirely left out.
I'm no computer programmer, and I took part. I was able to solve a few things on my own, and it was a lot of fun. Hopefully you give it a shot next time!
I'm no computer programmer, (but a business owner) and I was lost in about the first minute.

I was lost -- and then became disinterested -- after about a week.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1332 on: May 23, 2021, 07:24:39 AM »

Exactly - I just waited for everyone else to work it out and felt left out.

If you were in a band why would you deliberately alienate a majority of your fanbase ?

Online Trav86

« Reply #1333 on: May 23, 2021, 07:49:25 AM »

Exactly - I just waited for everyone else to work it out and felt left out.

If you were in a band why would you deliberately alienate a majority of your fanbase ?

I don’t remember much of the details. I know that I wasn’t interested in being involved in it, or did I really have much interest. I’m sure the band didn’t have much to do with it. It was probably presented to them by a marketing team and thought it was going to be more inclusive and entertaining than it actually was.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #1334 on: May 23, 2021, 12:22:45 PM »
I don't think they deliberately alienated their fanbase. It's not like the album was exclusive to those who played. It was similar to the "Stream Of Consciousness" contest back in 2003 - something to keep fans engaged during the waiting period.

I’m sure the band didn’t have much to do with it. It was probably presented to them by a marketing team and thought it was going to be more inclusive and entertaining than it actually was.
It was actually proposed by Noxon, with input by many people from the band's entourage or fan communities, including:
  • the band members themselves
  • Maddi and Jimmy T.
  • Jake Solomon (son of Frank)
  • Victoria, from DT USA
  • Roie, Jessica and Freddy, from InsideOut
  • mods of this forum and the band's subreddit (I'm guessing bosk had a lot to do with it.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 12:29:21 PM by Sebastián Pratesi »

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1335 on: May 23, 2021, 01:09:07 PM »
I was finding it interesting until one day I came to the forums and thought "greeeeeat, there's another phase".

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1336 on: May 23, 2021, 01:33:59 PM »
I found that scavenger hunt thing a great idea and something I was really interested in participating in, for about 26 seconds. Once I realized it was over my head, I was out. But I didn't once feel "alienated"  or left out. It was just something I decided I wasn't interested in pursuing.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1337 on: May 23, 2021, 02:10:09 PM »
Yeah, I was fucking clueless over the whole thing. I was really excited to check it out/play along, but the thing was so far over my head.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1338 on: May 23, 2021, 06:09:24 PM »
Then some bright spark figured out the ending right away and they had to change it all anyway  :biggrin:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1339 on: May 24, 2021, 01:03:18 AM »
Then some bright spark figured out the ending right away and they had to change it all anyway  :biggrin:

As far as I remember they didn't "figure out", they used a method of brute force not allowed, because in other kind of games it was allowed so they didn't think it was fobidden. So if I remember right nobody "figured out the ending", but rather "cheated without really knowing they were cheating".

Also, "deliberately alienating the fanbase" is a bit harsh. Do you really think they sat down and brainstormed "how can we piss off some fans?"... come on. I too was not prepared for the kind of games they offered, but this is a forum where people complain that they dropped an obscure non-album song from the Images and Words and Beyond tour.... the "rights" of the 10 people who know Don't Look Past Me matter, but the enjoyment of all those people who liked those puzzle doesn't?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1340 on: May 24, 2021, 01:25:54 AM »
Considering this forum (or the MP one, but this fanbase either way) figured out the Easter Egg in ITNOG, & figured out the track lengths of TA from an unlabelled pie chart, I don't think the stuff in the treasure hunt was all that farfetched.

I mean, maybe you (plural) weren't prepared for the puzzles in the treasure hunt, but there were plenty of people who were, otherwise it would never have been solved.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1341 on: May 24, 2021, 01:10:27 PM »
heh, shows you how much I paid attention, this is the first I'm hearing of a treasure hunt  :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1342 on: May 24, 2021, 01:47:07 PM »
Ending derailment, the interview cycle seems to have concluded. (https://www.facebook.com/MikeMangini/posts/327762202046587).
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1343 on: May 24, 2021, 02:29:58 PM »
I realized MP used the wife metaphor, but is that a DT wedding ring that MM is wearing? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1344 on: May 24, 2021, 04:20:23 PM »
Ending derailment, the interview cycle seems to have concluded. (https://www.facebook.com/MikeMangini/posts/327762202046587).

Care to share for those of us who don't use facebook?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1345 on: May 24, 2021, 04:25:44 PM »

that was (in a nutshell of course) Mike saying that promo has apparently concluded (which, at this stage, has been preliminary interviews and photo shoots) My guess is that the video shoots are what will be coming up for the band (as he mentions, next week till mid June will be another hectic bit for the band)

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1346 on: May 24, 2021, 04:34:09 PM »

that was (in a nutshell of course) Mike saying that promo has apparently concluded (which, at this stage, has been preliminary interviews and photo shoots) My guess is that the video shoots are what will be coming up for the band (as he mentions, next week till mid June will be another hectic bit for the band)

Ahhhh...thanks!

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1347 on: May 26, 2021, 03:18:13 AM »
The word "energy" is used a lot by the band members to describe DT15.

So I remembered a famous quote said by a fan : ENERGY, POWAHHHH!

But can't find the video.

Any help?  :)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1348 on: May 26, 2021, 03:24:41 AM »

3:18 in the Riding The Train Of Thought documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcHV4kYptXY
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1349 on: May 26, 2021, 03:28:43 AM »

3:18 in the Riding The Train Of Thought documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcHV4kYptXY

Wawwww

That was fast  :biggrin:

Thanks a lot ! hahahaha

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1350 on: May 26, 2021, 03:31:27 AM »
Yeah I'm bored at work :lol

Working from home, with Futurama re-runs on the TV.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1351 on: May 26, 2021, 03:33:13 AM »
I can't wait to hear the new DT, because I'm a little scared by the mood of it...

I have no idea what was the mood of JP and the band during the other albums recording, but his solo album and LTE3 are so joyful (I don't say they are bad, don't read me wrong), I fear the DT album to be light hearted and lacking twisted or sad emotions...

It may sound a little extreme but I try to go straight to the point, exemple : a solo like goodnight kiss needs emotion to be transferred...And lord it transferred to me :D
I think I'll have wet eyes hearing it all my life.

SadandtwistedDT team anyone ? :p
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1352 on: May 26, 2021, 03:43:22 AM »
Their most acclaimed album alongside SFAM, Images and Words, is light hearted and lacking twisted or sad emotions. If the songs are good, I accept an album in that general vein.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline illusionist

« Reply #1353 on: May 26, 2021, 05:29:56 AM »
I'm with Lax on this.
I fully understand what you're saying,and i hope their new album won't be a 'happy' one.
I love their darker side,SfAM,ToT,Awake,DT etc.
The atmospheres they create, the more emotional and dramatic material, needs some majestic music,
which isn't the case with 'happy' mood.
I feel you man,but we can only hope for that tone.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1354 on: May 26, 2021, 05:33:56 AM »
I can't wait to hear the new DT, because I'm a little scared by the mood of it...

I have no idea what was the mood of JP and the band during the other albums recording, but his solo album and LTE3 are so joyful (I don't say they are bad, don't read me wrong), I fear the DT album to be light hearted and lacking twisted or sad emotions...

It may sound a little extreme but I try to go straight to the point, exemple : a solo like goodnight kiss needs emotion to be transferred...And lord it transferred to me :D

No. Precision and technical difficulty is all that matters (to me)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1355 on: May 26, 2021, 06:30:07 AM »

I can get on board with the spirit of this.  The band has nothing to prove when it comes to chops, technical skill and precision. I personally would rather they focus solely on songs and emotion, and without worrying about how technical it is, but this is Dream Theater, so that is probably a pipe dream.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1356 on: May 26, 2021, 06:31:49 AM »
I like my dosage of sad and twisted songs, but I wouldn't mind at all a cheerful DT album.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1357 on: May 26, 2021, 06:57:55 AM »
Even their most upbeat albums like Images and Octavarium have had many moments of tension and drama so I really wouldn't worry about a DT album lacking darker emotions. Plus, the JP solo album and LTE3 being bright and positive (not wholly, mind you) doesn't neccesitate DT15 following suit. After all, from what I remember those projects have generally been more laid back in mood than the parallel DT albums.

Also, I never really saw technical ability as one of the main appealing factors of the band, though it's certainly impressive and not entirely absent in my appreciation of the band. If I only wanted that though, I'd listen to jazz fusion and tech death. What draws me to the band is stuff like how each song within an album is entirely different, yet also form a coherent whole with a definitive stylistic centre. I also like how they can create grand song strucutres that feel like they go by in an instant due to how well paced they are. The fact that they have a varied emotional palette is a very strong factor, stuff like going from PTSD inspired paranoia to triumphant arena rock, to playful instrumental indulgence within one album.

Online Trav86

« Reply #1358 on: May 26, 2021, 08:17:55 AM »

I hope this is suppose to be sarcasm.
Can't we find the minds

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1359 on: May 26, 2021, 09:17:25 AM »
Their most acclaimed album alongside SFAM, Images and Words, is light hearted and lacking twisted or sad emotions.

Ummm...you're aware of the subject matter of Another Day, Wait for Sleep and Learning to Live, no?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1360 on: May 26, 2021, 09:18:51 AM »
Yeah, but the music is still not that dark, there's no Far from Heaven or Vacant on I&W, that's for sure. At Wit's End is way darker in mood and feel than Learning to Live, even if LtL's subject matter is not all roses and sunshines.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1361 on: May 26, 2021, 09:56:46 AM »
I'm not suggesting they're the darkest things they've ever done, but your assertion that I&W is light-hearted and lacking in sad emotions went WAY too far.  After my wife's (then fiancee) father died from AIDS (resulting from a transfusion with a bad batch of blood) in 1995, it was several years before I could listen to LTL without tearing up.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 04:57:26 PM by pg1067 »

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1362 on: May 26, 2021, 03:08:56 PM »

I hope this is suppose to be sarcasm.

Why? Is that an invalid reason to like something?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online Trav86

« Reply #1363 on: May 26, 2021, 06:17:43 PM »
Delete. It’s been too long of a day.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 06:22:52 PM by Trav86 »
Can't we find the minds

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1364 on: May 27, 2021, 03:32:54 AM »
I just don't want all my fave bands to release Covid19 / 2020 sucked songs / albums.

To me it would be way too obvious.