Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 349493 times)

Offline dparrott

Re: DT15 in progress. Final mix initiated. (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #1155 on: April 16, 2021, 09:54:59 PM »
Wow that's refreshing :lol

" The New Album? Same old Pub Rock Bollocks. I'd give it 8 out of 10. There's two shit songs on it ".

- Noel Gallagher about Standing on The Shoulder of Giants.

;D

And he admitted their final album had two b-sides on it.  I agree.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1156 on: April 16, 2021, 09:56:05 PM »
Besides, when was the last time you saw an artist say, "Yeah, well, we've done better before but this album should be OK, I guess."

That's usually what I say about later DT albums.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1157 on: April 17, 2021, 02:14:16 PM »
Wow that's refreshing :lol

" The New Album? Same old Pub Rock Bollocks. I'd give it 8 out of 10. There's two shit songs on it ".

- Noel Gallagher about Standing on The Shoulder of Giants.

;D

And he admitted their final album had two b-sides on it.  I agree.

Their final two albums were both great. I'm glad they didn't split up after Giants. That would have been a shame.

But yeah Noels 7 songs on Dig Out your Soul are easily the best tracks on the album. I'm Outta Time is pretty good ( despite being co written with Gem allegedly )

But I totally agree that Soldier On and The Nature of Reality should have been left off. Still way better than Giants though.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1158 on: April 18, 2021, 06:21:29 AM »
Besides, when was the last time you saw an artist say, "Yeah, well, we've done better before but this album should be OK, I guess."

That's usually what I say about later DT albums.

Yeah, hard agree. I liked ADTOE well enough, but I haven't exactly been enamored with the DT catalogue since the self-titled.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1159 on: April 22, 2021, 02:39:34 AM »
They haven't yet quite matched the magic of the Scenes - Octavarium era but all four Mangini albums so far have at least been "good".

Also they've never done their 'St Anger' where it's that one album that literally everyone regards as the sh*t one.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1160 on: April 23, 2021, 09:21:56 AM »

Also they've never done their 'St Anger' where it's that one album that literally everyone regards as the sh*t one.

The Astonishing called.  It's for you  :)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1161 on: April 23, 2021, 09:56:29 AM »
I don't know, some people seem to like/love it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1162 on: April 23, 2021, 10:07:04 AM »
Yeah...TA is probably DT's most divisive album, rather than one that's universally panned.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1163 on: April 23, 2021, 10:51:07 AM »
Agreed, it's more 50/50 (give or take like 10% either way) rather than St Anger, which has like 90% hatred, 7% thinking it's not as bad as others think and bout 3% more who think it's a kind of cult classic.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1164 on: April 23, 2021, 11:10:37 AM »
I was being sarcastic.  I actually don't think it's a "bad" album.  It's just not my cup of tea.  I'm not one of those people who thinks it's just garbage.  There's actually a few really good songs scattered across those two discs.

If they could have culled it down to one disc of the best material I probably would have liked it and listened to it a lot more.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1165 on: April 23, 2021, 11:28:58 AM »
I was being sarcastic.  I actually don't think it's a "bad" album.  It's just not my cup of tea.  I'm not one of those people who thinks it's just garbage.  There's actually a few really good songs scattered across those two discs.

If they could have culled it down to one disc of the best material I probably would have liked it and listened to it a lot more.

Wow - you could have done this years ago. You could do it now and possibly have a different opinion about the album.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #1166 on: April 23, 2021, 03:04:11 PM »
Yeah, but then that wouldn't give you an accurate view of the full album.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1167 on: April 23, 2021, 11:28:57 PM »

Wow - you could have done this years ago. You could do it now and possibly have a different opinion about the album.

I always feel weird about doing something like this, and I cannot explain why. i guess I feel weird altering the art as it was created by the artist. I should accept it as it is. I shouldn't cut out half of Falling into Infinity because it blows, because what I then have isn't Falling into Infinity any longer.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1168 on: April 24, 2021, 01:00:02 AM »
Yeah, the album already exists. If you edit the hell out of it, it's not the album anymore.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1169 on: April 24, 2021, 02:51:37 AM »
I always feel weird about doing something like this, and I cannot explain why. i guess I feel weird altering the art as it was created by the artist. I should accept it as it is. I shouldn't cut out half of Falling into Infinity because it blows, because what I then have isn't Falling into Infinity any longer.

As an album purist, I agree with this. It feels like skipping part of a film or something. The only instance where I'd feel comfortable missing out songs is if they're bonus tracks or something like Three Minute Warning.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1170 on: April 24, 2021, 04:32:05 AM »

You also shouldn't do that because FII is awesome.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1171 on: April 24, 2021, 08:14:55 AM »

You also shouldn't do that because FII is awesome.

Lol. Totally agree. But, in my opinion, life is far too short to sit through music you don't dig. You bought the record with your hard-earned cash, and if you want to rearrange the track listing or dump half of it into a playlist, why feel bad about it?

As an artist, I'm a huge beleiver in the idea that art is at its best when it's NOT treated like a sacred cow. It should be lived, and experienced. But then again, I'm the guy that buys rare toys, rips open the packageing and plays with them. Dudes with rooms full of boxed toys confuse me :huh:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1172 on: April 24, 2021, 10:12:04 AM »
Lol. Totally agree. But, in my opinion, life is far too short to sit through music you don't dig. You bought the record with your hard-earned cash, and if you want to rearrange the track listing or dump half of it into a playlist, why feel bad about it?

Definitely agree with that as well. Music on an album is just structured to listen to differently than one would watch a film, or read a novel. I guess one could edit Memento to make it chronological if they enjoyed it more in that manner, but it would take much more time and effort than altering the order of songs on a CD.

I am being a bit hypocritical too as I did a little tweaking with my favorite album of all time, The Wall, and I never really thought twice about it.

Dudes with rooms full of boxed toys confuse me :huh:

It is the investment. There is no emotional attachment. It doesn't matter what they are, toys, baseball cards, coins, etc...
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1173 on: April 24, 2021, 10:25:35 AM »

Definitely agree with that as well. Music on an album is just structured to listen to differently than one would watch a film, or read a novel. I guess one could edit Memento to make it chronological if they enjoyed it more in that manner, but it would take much more time and effort than altering the order of songs on a CD.

I am being a bit hypocritical too as I did a little tweaking with my favorite album of all time, The Wall, and I never really thought twice about it.

Dudes with rooms full of boxed toys confuse me :huh:

It is the investment. There is no emotional attachment. It doesn't matter what they are, toys, baseball cards, coins, etc...

I get the 'investment' thing for sure—I think I was more just illustrating the point that I am incapable of collecting stuff becuase I could never stop myself from playing with it ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1174 on: April 24, 2021, 01:04:57 PM »
I had a weird dream last night that DT had just released their new single and were already playing it live. In my dream, I was so busy I was waiting for later in the day to listen to it, but that never happened :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1175 on: April 24, 2021, 01:12:30 PM »
I had a weird dream last night that DT had just released their new single and were already playing it live. In my dream, I was so busy I was waiting for later in the day to listen to it, but that never happened :lol
I understand, dreams always take such a weird direction.   :lol
I had a dream a while back I was hanging out with JP and showing him some of the music that I wrote, and he was digging it. Lol! 
I'm lucky if I can even get my friends to listen in real life.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1176 on: April 24, 2021, 02:52:42 PM »

I'd put my Astonishing Abridged up against pretty much any other DT album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1177 on: April 24, 2021, 06:04:15 PM »
Ok bruvs, this just in: Mike mentions that "time consuming work with DT" will resume in May (https://www.facebook.com/MikeMangini/posts/309637230525751), so my guess is that the promo cycle may be initiated then.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
James interview (1:11:29) talks a bit about the new album and upcoming schedule.  He's also very excited about it, he is going to NY in a few weeks to do the big photoshoot and video for the first 'single'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuxETd-iFm0

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
James interview (1:11:29) talks a bit about the new album and upcoming schedule.  He's also very excited about it, he is going to NY in a few weeks to do the big photoshoot and video for the first 'single'.

ah so I was right apparently. Good. Good.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline IDontNotDoThings

1:13:44 "& everybody says this: 'did you ever notice that every band when they talk about their new album they go 'oH mY GoD tHiS iS tHe MoSt InCrEdIbLe StUfF tHaT wEvE dOne''"

James has either been reading this thread or knows us too well :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Holy hell he's looking really grey.

Offline Dream Team

Re: DT15 in progress. Photo and video shoots in May (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #1182 on: April 25, 2021, 05:48:48 AM »
Well the band sure sounds super hyped.

Offline Architeuthis

And he looks cool, he should embrace it.  :tup
 Great interview!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Trav86

That looks way better than the jet black dyed look from the new live video.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Raise the Drum

• ::::::::::|...|::::::::::
  • Ñ
« Reply #1185 on: April 25, 2021, 10:02:29 AM »
should James leave his hair white/gray?
i think that he could rock those colors

and yes, that "ventablack" hair of previous years is a little off-putting

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1186 on: April 25, 2021, 10:17:53 AM »
I agree.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1187 on: April 25, 2021, 10:38:22 AM »
I say, embrace it!

As for the latest updates, I'm excited! I think May will bring the first teaser and maybe a proper announcement towards the end of the month.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1188 on: April 26, 2021, 01:05:21 AM »
Seems like everyone's excited about the album.
And i believe both Mangini's increased involvement as started from D/T, as well as the fact they have their own studio, plus no real pressure for touring because of the pandemic, might have affected the way the album was created in a good way.

I'm getting hyped (not that i can help it), and what a great accomplishment this is for a band that has been around longer than me  :hat

Also i really hope james keeps the grey hair (or at least doesn't dye them again to a pitch black color), he looks badass and way better in my eyes.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1189 on: April 26, 2021, 01:13:25 AM »
Speaking of hair, I've noticed that JR has grown his out during the pandemic. I wonder if he will keep it that way, or shave his head as before.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.