Poll

Iron Maiden POLL: Piece of Mind or Somewhere in Time?

Piece of Mind
32 (38.6%)
Somewhere in Time
51 (61.4%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Author Topic: Iron Maiden POLL: Piece of Mind or Somewhere in Time?  (Read 4282 times)

Offline WildRanger

Re: Iron Maiden POLL: Piece of Mind or Somewhere in Time?
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2020, 02:37:53 AM »
And Village is WAY, WAY, WAY down -- probably the only song on Number through SIT that I consider to be "bad."

You think Village is worse than Gangland and Invaders?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2020, 02:48:51 AM »
Invaders > Village > Gangland
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2020, 03:58:20 AM »
You're all crazy and you know it  ;D

Piece Of Mind is an alltime classic of heavy metal music in general, while Somewhere In Time is "just" a very good Iron Maiden record.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2020, 04:05:06 AM »
Invaders > Village > Gangland
The verse in Invaders is awesome.  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2020, 04:10:36 AM »
Somewhere in Time is the second best of the classic era for me, while Piece of Mind is in last place.

So SiT easily.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2020, 08:47:17 AM »
In terms of the songs it's too close to call - both have several great songs alongside a few clunkers - but I give it to Somewhere In Time on the basis of the production and Stranger In A Strange Land being one of my top few Maiden songs.

I never much liked the way Piece Of Mind sounds - it's a combination of tempos being too slow on several songs and the general sound of the record being a bit muddy/muffled.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2020, 08:59:30 AM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2020, 09:33:55 AM »
I never much liked the way Piece Of Mind sounds - it's a combination of tempos being too slow on several songs and the general sound of the record being a bit muddy/muffled.

There is some truth to this. I love Flight of Icarus but the production makes the band sound a little weak, for such an epic song, and 'muffled' is definitely one word for it. Feels like I really have to crank the songs on this record to feel some 'oomph' in it. Bruce however cuts right through the mud I think, because he was nearly at the peak of his singing on this record IMO, and he really hits the high notes.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2020, 11:00:23 AM »
And Village is WAY, WAY, WAY down -- probably the only song on Number through SIT that I consider to be "bad."

You think Village is worse than Gangland and Invaders?

Invaders is a great song (in particular, Harris's bass work during the verses is unbelievable), and I don't understand all the hate that Gangland gets.  It's a good (but not great) song.  So yeah, for me, Invaders >>> Gangland >>>>>>>>>> Back in the Village.  And, not that you asked, but:  Gangland > Children of the Damned.

Piece Of Mind is an alltime classic of heavy metal music in general, while Somewhere In Time is "just" a very good Iron Maiden record.

Yup.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2020, 11:04:47 AM »
Invaders is a great song (in particular, Harris's bass work during the verses is unbelievable), and I don't understand all the hate that Gangland gets.  It's a good (but not great) song.  So yeah, for me, Invaders >>> Gangland >>>>>>>>>> Back in the Village.

Yeah, same here.  I'm so used to you being SO wrong on music-related stuff that I'm sometimes surprised when you get things SO right.  :biggrin:

And, not that you asked, but:  Gangland > Children of the Damned.

OK, wait, now just what??  ??? :censored  :eek  >:(
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2020, 12:04:39 PM »
I'm so used to you being SO wrong on music-related stuff that I'm sometimes surprised when you get things SO right.  :biggrin:

:lol :lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2020, 01:51:28 PM »
It’s close between the two albums but I’ll go with Somewhere in Time, just enjoy the atmosphere on this one.  This is also one of my favourite album covers ever; very cool Blade Runner theme

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2020, 02:43:32 PM »
And, not that you asked, but:  Gangland > Children of the Damned.

Wow, that's quite controversial.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2020, 03:14:45 PM »
Piece of Mind. I really didn’t like SiT. 3-4 decent songs but a real drop off from what came before.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2020, 10:52:56 PM »
Not even close... Piece of Mind.....

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2020, 12:08:14 AM »

There is some truth to this. I love Flight of Icarus but the production makes the band sound a little weak, for such an epic song, and 'muffled' is definitely one word for it. Feels like I really have to crank the songs on this record to feel some 'oomph' in it. Bruce however cuts right through the mud I think, because he was nearly at the peak of his singing on this record IMO, and he really hits the high notes.

I remember Steve saying something like he didn't like the slow tempo of Flight Of Icarus on the album. They play it faster live, and he likes it much better that way.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2020, 02:07:15 AM »
Talking of sound: Imo Piece Of Mind sounds miles better than Somewhere In Time. The guitar sound on SiT isn't good, especially the lead guitars have an awful reverb that sounded dated even back then. And I think it lacks some warmth, for lack of a better word, that Piece has, even though it might be a bit muddy sometimes.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2020, 02:13:25 AM »
I think SIT has better and more aggressive guitar riffs than POM and on the other hand it's more melodic.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2020, 02:52:48 AM »
Number of the Beast to Seventh Son is an amazing run of albums.  If it had to rank those albums it would be.

- SiT.
- Powerslave.
- Seventh.
- Mind.
- Beast.

So SiT for me in this poll.   But all those albums are great, with barely a rizza paper between them.

Offline max_security

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2020, 02:59:47 AM »
POM by miles. Also , POM was mastered with a new ( at the time ) dolby noise reduction , it does not sound muddy over FM or vinal / cassette ( it does sound thick which was the intent ). And SLOW Flight is better ( sorry Steve ).

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2020, 03:02:13 AM »
Yeah, the faster Flight version live sounds rushed. The slower studio version is just right imo.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2020, 03:55:39 AM »
I love Piece of mind, but Quest for fire and Die with your boots on are among their lesser interesting songs of the classic era. Somewhere in time, on the other hand, is perfect. Easy choice for me.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2020, 07:09:14 AM »
Who is this WildrRanger that dares ask such a question and those that have discredited Sun And Steel? :lol

Okay so it's like choosing a favorite child and reluctantly chose SIT for nothing more than nostalgic reasons, SIT AND POM are two of the most badass records of their generation/s :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2020, 08:11:28 AM »

As far as Powerslave, Aces High and Powerslave are at the top.  Rime and Two Minutes and The Duelists are a notch down.  Flash and Losfer Words are another notch down.  And Village is WAY, WAY, WAY down -- probably the only song on Number through SIT that I consider to be "bad."

That last does not compute for me.  I get it, opinions, but for me, BITV is a top ten Maiden song, easily.  I admit to being biased on SiT, because when I got the album, I put it on a tape and had to cut something so cut TLOTLDR, and so I've maybe heard it a quarter of the times I've listened to the album - so maybe I need to revisit it - but it pales in comparison to BITV. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2020, 10:17:38 AM »

As far as Powerslave, Aces High and Powerslave are at the top.  Rime and Two Minutes and The Duelists are a notch down.  Flash and Losfer Words are another notch down.  And Village is WAY, WAY, WAY down -- probably the only song on Number through SIT that I consider to be "bad."

That last does not compute for me.  I get it, opinions, but for me, BITV is a top ten Maiden song, easily.  I admit to being biased on SiT, because when I got the album, I put it on a tape and had to cut something so cut TLOTLDR, and so I've maybe heard it a quarter of the times I've listened to the album - so maybe I need to revisit it - but it pales in comparison to BITV.

We've had the discussion about BITV before, and I know you like it a lot.  There's just nothing about it that appeals to me, and the chorus is annoying.  As for Loneliness, I really don't often listen to SIT, so I can't offer much more than a general statement that I think it's a really good song, but the pacing of the verses is really appealing to me.

Also, not only am I quite surprised that SIT is winning this thing, I'm astounded that it's winning so convincingly.

Number of the Beast to Seventh Son is an amazing run of albums.  If it had to rank those albums it would be.

- SiT.
- Powerslave.
- Seventh.
- Mind.
- Beast.

So SiT for me in this poll.   But all those albums are great, with barely a rizza paper between them.

Between "rizza paper" and "according to Hoyle," I'm starting to feel like some of y'all are speaking a different language!

I throw the first two albums into this mix (I get why a lot of folks don't), and I get a very different result:

1. POM
2. TNOTB
3. Powerslave
4/5T. IM/Killers
6. SIT
7. SSOASS

Moonchild and SSOASS are better songs than anything on SIT, but nothing else on SSOASS appeals to me.  SIT is more consistent.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2020, 10:30:19 AM »
Between "rizza paper" and "according to Hoyle," I'm starting to feel like some of y'all are speaking a different language!

Well, but we already established that the Hoyle thing was in some obscure movie that some people on the forum have seen and assume everyone else has as well, so there's that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2020, 10:49:02 AM »
Somewhere In Time has the better cover, I will say that for it 😀

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2020, 10:59:11 AM »

We've had the discussion about BITV before, and I know you like it a lot.  There's just nothing about it that appeals to me, and the chorus is annoying.  As for Loneliness, I really don't often listen to SIT, so I can't offer much more than a general statement that I think it's a really good song, but the pacing of the verses is really appealing to me.

Also, not only am I quite surprised that SIT is winning this thing, I'm astounded that it's winning so convincingly.

- SiT.
- Powerslave.
- Seventh.
- Mind.
- Beast.

I throw the first two albums into this mix (I get why a lot of folks don't), and I get a very different result:

1. POM
2. TNOTB
3. Powerslave
4/5T. IM/Killers
6. SIT
7. SSOASS

Moonchild and SSOASS are better songs than anything on SIT, but nothing else on SSOASS appeals to me.  SIT is more consistent.

Another point on which we gently (and in good fun) disagree on:  The Clairvoyant is a top ten or so song for me as well.   

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2020, 11:08:39 AM »

Well, but we already established that the Hoyle thing was in some obscure movie that some people on the forum have seen and assume everyone else has as well, so there's that.

"According to Hoyle" was a common expression used at least as recently as by my parents and their generation, referring to the Edmund Hoyle's book on the rules of card games.

On highest authority, in keeping with established rules. Edmond Hoyle, an Englishman born in 1679 and buried in 1769, wrote short treatises on five different card games (they were bound together in one volume in 1746). Within a year his name appeared on other books published by plagiarists, which also gave rules and advice for playing games. This practice has continued to the present day, and there are rule books about poker and numerous other games, all invoking the authority of Hoyle, who died long before these games were invented.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2020, 11:25:39 AM »
Piece of Mind, easily. Somewhere in Time never connected with me.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2020, 12:30:49 PM »

Even I don't think Pulp Fiction was an obscure movie (although I didn't like it at all).

Another point on which we gently (and in good fun) disagree on:  The Clairvoyant is a top ten or so song for me as well.   

It's not a "bad" song; it just doesn't compare to the standard that Maiden set over the first six albums.

"According to Hoyle" was a common expression used at least as recently as by my parents and their generation, referring to the Edmund Hoyle's book on the rules of card games.

Yeah...this was discussed in detail in another thread (don't remember which one), so no need to rehash it, but I'll repeat here that my parents were born in the early 1920s, and I never heard them use it.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2020, 02:22:54 PM »
Number of the Beast to Seventh Son is an amazing run of albums. 

Agreed. One of the greatest runs of albums in history in my opinion.

As for this poll, Piece of Mind gets my vote. I'm actually a bit surprised to see the results so far, I'd assumed PoM would run away with this (brilliant though SiT is). This is purely anecdotal but when I was growing up in the 80s and early 90s in England, Piece of Mind was considered one of the legendary albums of the last 10 years, whereas Somewhere in Time was 'merely' an excellent continuation of the band's dominance of the British metal scene.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2020, 03:36:50 PM »
This is purely anecdotal but when I was growing up in the 80s and early 90s in England, Piece of Mind was considered one of the legendary albums of the last 10 years, whereas Somewhere in Time was 'merely' an excellent continuation of the band's dominance of the British metal scene.

As someone who was a teen and in his early 20s in the 80s (in Southern California), my observations are identical.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2020, 04:02:43 PM »
Same here.  And even though I voted SiT based on my personal preference, I am likewise surprised at the poll results (although 56 votes is such a tiny sample size that it really isn't indicative of anything).

Offline max_security

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2020, 04:06:53 PM »
I guess I can see people looking back and seeing the newer album as being better. POM IS Iron Maiden to me , and always will be. I do like SIT better than Powerslave however. But I was all in for these three albums at the time no doubt.