Author Topic: Nickelback - overhated band or not?  (Read 12494 times)

Offline NoseofNicko

Re: Nickelback - overhated band or not?
« Reply #175 on: March 02, 2021, 09:58:33 AM »
 :facepalm:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #176 on: March 02, 2021, 10:11:37 AM »

Do 45-65 white men respect Bowie? Sure, in white, middle-class America. Go to other parts of the world, or hell, even another zip code, and that respect might transform into disinterest based on a lack of familiarity. Relevenace plays a roll here, and what's relevant to one age-group or community is not necessarily relevant to another—for a million reasons. Jay-Z carries way more cred than Bowie right now with much of our country—and it has nothing to do with the artists themselves, but rather, the context within which they're viewed.

Also Ed Sheeran is a much more relevant music artist than Bowie to today's youth. Why?
Media and modern commercial music industry decide and tell the masses of young people what is trendy on music scene and what they should like and they'll like it without any critical reasoning. That's the problem. Those young people have NO TASTE and can't have a taste because they have no critical reasoning while listening today's mainstream music. They're gonna ACCEPT everything that the mainstream media puts in front of them. That's tragic.
How can you explain that a song like "Despacito" and "Gangam Style" have an insanely large amount of views on YouTube, while The Beatles' "A Day in the Life" has only 113 million? Does it mean that "Despacito" and "Gangam Style" have more merit than ADIL today? Seriously.

So why doesn't that apply to Bowie and the Beatles to begin with?   Why isn't Bowie dismissed as simply being the product of a commercial surge that has stuck with an older, more affluent listening base?   The Beatles were a cultural and commercial PHENOMENON.   We've really not seen much like it, at least not for that sustained amount of time.   So why is the commercial aspect ignored with them?  Do you think every girl that left a wet patch on their seat during the '65 tour was there for the deep, resonating political commentary buried in Lennon's lyrics?  Or the cosmic and generation-defining affirmations of love in McCartney's enduring ballads? 

You're also an analytical zero; did you control for all the variables that go into that analysis of "views"?  Age demographic?  Availability?  Other outlets for that music?   Did you bother to do a regression analysis to account for "cause" and "correlation"?   

I didn't think so.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #177 on: March 02, 2021, 10:12:40 AM »
How can you explain that a song like "Despacito" and "Gangam Style" have an insanely large amount of views on YouTube, while The Beatles' "A Day in the Life" has only 113 million? Does it mean that "Despacito" and "Gangam Style" have more merit than ADIL today? Seriously.

What that means is that today's society resonates to those songs than a song that was created around 55 years ago.  It's like Billie Eilish not knowing any Van Halen songs, but people shouldn't chastise her for that.  At her age, I would be more surprised if she did knew any Van Halen songs.

We're starting get into "Old man yells at clouds," territory here.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #178 on: March 02, 2021, 10:15:21 AM »
soooooooooo.........my first love was the beatles.  but it's not legit because society AND my family suggested them? i loved them but it wasn't real??????  i had to find them on my own??

I'm such a  :loser:

seriously fucked logic dude, lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #179 on: March 02, 2021, 10:22:33 AM »

http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/061024/1948-09art.htm

lol this list, Nirvana at #17. They can’t even play their instruments  :neverusethis: :corn
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #180 on: March 02, 2021, 10:26:46 AM »
I really hope Stadler and WildRanger become DTF's Batman and Joker, respectively. Sure, there's no winners there, but damn if it's not amazing to see.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: March 02, 2021, 10:31:16 AM »
I really hope Stadler and WildRanger become DTF's Batman and Joker, respectively. Sure, there's no winners there, but damn if it's not amazing to see.

As long as I'm....  Batman. 

(I'm legit wearing Batman pants as I write this, too.)

Online Adami

« Reply #182 on: March 02, 2021, 10:33:16 AM »

Oh totally. That's why I added respectively. I'll just start reading all your posts in this thread in a very grumbly voice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #183 on: March 02, 2021, 11:17:33 AM »

I'm picturing only a utility belt.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: March 02, 2021, 11:20:34 AM »

I'm picturing only a utility belt.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #185 on: March 02, 2021, 11:31:38 AM »
I haven't read the discussion from the last two days, but seeing this thread pop up I had to chime in.  For their cover of Devil Went Down To Georgia alone, there is not enough hate in the multi-verse for this band.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: March 02, 2021, 11:34:22 AM »
After I make the mushroom and spinach risotto tonight I will work on my top 10 Triumph songs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: March 02, 2021, 11:35:39 AM »
After I make the mushroom and spinach risotto tonight I will work on my top 10 Triumph songs.

In the Nickelback hate thread?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #188 on: March 02, 2021, 12:02:50 PM »
I haven't read the discussion from the last two days

Eh, do it
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: March 02, 2021, 12:16:54 PM »

In the Nickelback hate thread?

I was hoping you saw this.  :lol

Being a wise guy but yes i will.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: March 02, 2021, 12:42:15 PM »

Eh, do it

I skimmed thru pages 2 and 3, and was quickly reminded why I actively avoid WildRanger threads.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #191 on: March 02, 2021, 12:45:06 PM »

Eh, do it

I skimmed thru pages 2 and 3, and was quickly reminded why I actively avoid WildRanger threads.

I know what you mean, but also his threads have given me literal laugh out loud moments. They're just ridiculous.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #192 on: March 02, 2021, 12:47:17 PM »
WildRanger, I might start spamming your inbox until you answer my previous question.

What would happen if Nickleback's next album was "critically acclaimed"? Would you then admit that they were a respected artist and should be treated so?

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #193 on: March 02, 2021, 12:56:33 PM »
They're definitely overhated. They make well executed and well produced pop rock and Chad Kroeger has a good voice. I do tolerate their older stuff better though. No 'Photograph' for me, no thanks.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #194 on: March 02, 2021, 12:56:48 PM »
WildRanger, I might start spamming your inbox until you answer my previous question.

What would happen if Nickleback's next album was "critically acclaimed"? Would you then admit that they were a respected artist and should be treated so?

I'm more curious to see the future scenario when Justin Bieber decides he wants to team up with his fellow canadians Rush (who he is a secret fan of it turns out) to make a progressive rock album

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #195 on: March 02, 2021, 01:02:31 PM »
God, there is so much to unpick here.

WildRanger, I'm sure you come to DTF hoping for some prog rock echo chamber, where we all sit around and slag off crappy popular music  that the masses adore.  However, one of the main reasons I come back here all the time is the diverse bunch of people, and their diverse tastes.

Know I now in your black and white world "critically acclaimed" (which is a term I've heard you use so many times) artists should be heralded, and everything else is just trash that the uneducated listen to. But it's not that simple. By your own admission, from earlier posts, you've basically stated that if a band is "acclaimed" then they will literally have songs that appeal to all who consider themselves serious music fans. By the fact that they are acclaimed, they must appeal to you, with at least some of their songs:

I get not being a fan of them but I can't get how someone cannot find one (or two or three) Rush song(s) to like, since their music is so diverse.
I think those people who say that haven't heard more than a couple of Rush songs. And as I said, I can accept that only in case if someone dislike Geddy's singing.

And when it comes to your stance towards Radiohead I can bet that you haven't heard a LOT OF their songs, but only a few. If you've heard 20 Radiohead songs you could find at least one song to like.

I just don't buy a claim "I'm not a fan of some (acclaimed) band so I like none of their songs" if the vocals are not the issue. It's just hardly possible.

So if a band is "acclaimed" you can't buy someone saying they are a not a fan of them, and therefore not liking their songs? It's "hardly possible". Seriously, what?

This is what it seems to boil down to you. Critically acclaimed, whatever the fuck that actually means, means that you hold it in higher regard (and therefore superior), than all other music that isn't critically acclaimed? And by extension, everyone on DTF (as a prog forum) should agree with you?

Here's a question for you. What would happen if Nickleback's next album was "critically acclaimed"? Would you suddenly have to take them seriously and agree that they are talented and good at what they do? Seriously, answer this question.

Follow up question. I can only assume, from your previous statements, that you like songs by every "critically acclaimed" artist? You said it's hardly possible to listen to 20 songs by a "critically acclaimed" artist and not like any. Do you like every single "critically acclaimed" artist?

DTF, as I said, is full of open minded people (for the most part  :lol ). I take the musical opinions and recommendations, of certain people on this forum, more seriously than any media/magazine/reviewer out there. You are not going to get what you are looking for with threads like this.

And yes, Justin Bieber has artistic merit.

FFS, I swore I wouldn't do this again...

I'll give you a short answer.
I haven't listened to all (critically) acclaimed music artists, but out of those I've heard I liked most of them. I can't be a fan of every acclaimed artist, but I RESPECT them.

For example David Bowie is a generally respected music artist, while Justin Bieber is NOT and he will never be. That makes Bowie (objectively) much GREATER than Bieber. In general 'real' music fans respect Bowie for a reason, although some of those people are not his fans and they don't have to be. Those same people disrespect Bieber because they recognized there is no ART and QUALITY in his music, just COMMERCE for very lame entertainment. 
Case closed.
:rollin

Troll much?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #196 on: March 02, 2021, 01:04:48 PM »
I'll give you a short answer.
I haven't listened to all (critically) acclaimed music artists, but out of those I've heard I liked most of them. I can't be a fan of every acclaimed artist, but I RESPECT them.

For example David Bowie is a generally respected music artist, while Justin Bieber is NOT and he will never be. That makes Bowie (objectively) much GREATER than Bieber. In general 'real' music fans respect Bowie for a reason, although some of those people are not his fans and they don't have to be. Those same people disrespect Bieber because they recognized there is no ART and QUALITY in his music, just COMMERCE for very lame entertainment. 
Case closed.

Quote from: stadler
Seriously, bro, you're getting ridiculous. 

Getting?  :rollin

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #197 on: March 02, 2021, 02:01:11 PM »

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #198 on: March 02, 2021, 02:04:22 PM »

I don't know. Probably not.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #199 on: March 02, 2021, 02:06:00 PM »

Eh, do it

Can you give me an objective reason why?

Online Adami

« Reply #200 on: March 02, 2021, 02:09:32 PM »

Eh, do it

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: March 02, 2021, 05:00:13 PM »

Eh, do it

Only if you can objectively state why my answer matters to you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #202 on: March 02, 2021, 06:12:57 PM »
Ringo Starr is a better drummer than John Bonham was.

Prove me wrong.

It's objectively true.  I said so.

Sir, yes, sir! :P

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #203 on: March 02, 2021, 08:04:27 PM »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #204 on: October 05, 2021, 11:28:29 AM »

I could be wrong but I highly doubt Nickelback would be asked to play a headline set at any geniune rock festival, because they'd generate a negative response.

They generated a very negative response here. And it wasn't one of major rock festivals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w_3TU-hFjg

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #205 on: October 05, 2021, 11:43:44 AM »
They definitely are overhated.  There are certainly more bland and less creative mainstream bands that managed to escape becoming a lightning rod for criticism.  I wouldn't call myself a fan of them, but they do have a few songs I enjoy on occasion.  This video pretty well summarizes what irks a lot of people about them though, it's less about their musical qualities and more about other issues. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFCDsqYN9Zc

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2021, 03:38:24 PM »
Definitely overhated. That ROCKSTAR song is obviously tongue in cheek and they have got some good songs as far as I can tell.

Also they don't seem to be a band of complete pricks like Marilyn Mansons or Fred Dursts. Even Fred seems to have chilled out a lot recently.

I watched an interview with Durst on YouTube and was shocked at how quiet and self deprecating he was. Seems the FRED DURST image

is all front to make up for being quite shy IRL. Could be wrong though. Manson just seems like an awful person.

Limp Bizkit the actual band are awesome though and it's just Fred's whiny voice I can't get past a lot of times.

EDIT : ALso ironically I just realised that Marilyn Manson's drummer in now in Bizkit.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #207 on: October 05, 2021, 04:35:31 PM »
I can't seem to find it now, but I watched an interview with Durst a number of years ago where he came across very differently than his persona would suggest.  My recall is fuzzy, but it seemed to be of the vibe that he was playing a character, but the fame got to him and he struggled to separate the character from the real him, leading to a lot of behavior he regretted, and he tried to change at some point.  He's still the worst thing about Limp Bizkit though.  Regardless, Shred Durst is an amazing parody of him. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0PbOk6GgmY

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: October 05, 2021, 05:05:51 PM »
Yeah as I said I was taken aback at how quiet and shy he seemed IRL.

I can 100% understand being a completely different person on stage as when I played drums for KOTOW - I was 100% confidence on stage.

Whereas in reality i'm shy AF and have no self esteem at all etc.