Author Topic: Men are from Mars, Women I have no f*$%ing idea  (Read 17870 times)

Offline FreezingPoint

Re: Men are from Mars, Women I have no f*$%ing idea
« Reply #350 on: May 06, 2020, 12:43:28 PM »
On principle, I don't like the idea of not requiring kids to do something because they are afraid to do it, or because they find it difficult. That doesn't seem like a good way to prepare kids for life. And I say that as someone who would have benefited from never speaking in front of the class. In retrospect, I wish I was made to do more of it, I might be more comfortable now in certain situations. We can't function as a society if we can only communicate with others via Instagram.

I agree with this completely. As a kid, and throughout almost all my schooling, I absolutely hated and dreaded speaking in front of the class. But sometime in college I got enough exposure to it where I could make my way through, and gained a bit of confidence.

Fast forward to now. I still don't enjoy doing it. Rather, I look at it as a challenge, something I'm going to beat. I got asked to speak at our quarterly company meeting a few months back and gave what I thought was a pretty standard and boring presentation. I guess I made a good impression because apparently in my company, I'm some sort of public speaking wizard now. Of course, no one knows what I was like as a kid, and how I still don't like that sort of thing, but I wasn't going to tell them that. Before COVID wrecked my company, I improved my standing and prospects there quite a bit because of that speech. Go figure, sometimes those lessons do apply in real life.

Still would rather email or do something online though. I don't mind using the phone, but it better be necessary and brief. When I call someone it usually means they haven't responded to previous methods and you'd better have the answer for me. But don't call me (work people - not friends) because you have no one to talk to and want to bore me to death for 30 minutes about your life. You're not my friend and I don't care.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #351 on: May 07, 2020, 08:55:56 AM »
I find it amusing that the trend these days is to watch a video on something rather than read about it. But to write your communication with friends rather than speak live. Seems like those trends move in the complete opposite direction.

The common denominator is separation, though.  There's still a screen interrupting - or, maybe, intercepting - the conversation.

I've read articles where people have posited that requiring students to engage in public speaking activities/lessons was unfair to those who have anxiety.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2018/09/teens-think-they-shouldnt-have-to-speak-in-front-of-the-class/570061/

On principle, I don't like the idea of not requiring kids to do something because they are afraid to do it, or because they find it difficult. That doesn't seem like a good way to prepare kids for life. And I say that as someone who would have benefited from never speaking in front of the class. In retrospect, I wish I was made to do more of it, I might be more comfortable now in certain situations. We can't function as a society if we can only communicate with others via Instagram.

I agree with the concept, I don't like the wording.  "Unfair".  In one sense, who gives a shit what's "unfair"?  How do we even decide what's "unfair" to begin with?   Having said that, knowledge is power, and if we can take that into account, and work with it - work with that child the same way we work with kids on math, or dancing, or hitting a baseball, maybe we can make their life better.   

I know for me, I have three kids (I'm excluding the oldest; he didn't get this gene for some reason) that decide they don't like something after the first non-perfect try (except, it seems, for the younger kid and video games, go figure).  So the challenge with things like public speaking was removing the concept of "fairness" and moving to the concept of "honing skills".  It's a work in progress, but the oldest (step daughter) is now out on her own, divorced, and realizing that "adult" actually DOESN'T mean "doing whatever you want", but in fact DOES mean (as her step dad once told her) that it means "doing what you HAVE to do when you have to do it", including public speaking (she's now a very successful hair stylist).  The middle daughter is in college and is realizing that practice does move you to perfect, and now she's grappling with the risk-reward of "what does it take to be great?".   The youngest (stepson) is on level 47 of Fortnite.  :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #352 on: May 07, 2020, 09:22:17 AM »
Some are "blaming" this anxiety of talking on the phone or public speaking on technology, and I really don't see that as the case.  I didn't have a smartphone or tablet as a kid and my dislike of those things didn't start with the smartphone.  It seems to just be a pretty common thing that some humans dislike.  Maybe technology now makes it easier for us to avoid it, but I think it's always been there.

But, I do mostly agree that we all have to do things we just like sometimes. That's just the way it is.  But I think while we shouldn't allow kids to skip all public speaking, for example, maybe we should do more than just tell them to suck it up and do it. I certainly never got more comfortable with it, and I had to do it plenty of times in school. And now as an adult, does it affect my life that I don't like it and I'm not good at it? No, it really doesn't.  We can't all be good at everything.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #353 on: May 08, 2020, 02:22:22 PM »
This is a tough one for sure.  I have told my kids for years that they "can do hard things".  I tell them that everytime they tell me something is hard.  And I try very hard to live that principle as well so I can be a good example to them.

And there's the idea of us creating a society full of snowflakes if we don't allow our kids ot get bumped around every once in a while.  Grit, is a learned life skill for most people I think.

But anxiety is a real thing and can be very devistating, even to the point of someone taking their own life over it.  So that can't be taken lightly either.  But how much of the anxiety in our society is being created because (collectively) we are too soft on our children, and how much of it is genuine mental illness?  That I don't know.

But, from my vantage point, it appears that western society is heading in the wrong direction in this regard.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Harmony

« Reply #354 on: May 08, 2020, 02:58:10 PM »
And there's the idea of us creating a society full of snowflakes if we don't allow our kids ot get bumped around every once in a while.  Grit, is a learned life skill for most people I think.

I've been thinking along these lines a fair amount lately.  Our grandparents or great-grandparents living through wars, the depression, all sorts of hardships.  Grit is a good word for how I see my grandparents.  But it wasn't without a cost.  They were certainly more self-sufficient and learned how to get by with what they had AND be appreciative of that.  But they also held people at arms length and weren't very demonstrative.  They also had their bouts with alcoholism and nicotine addition.

How is this covid experience going to change this upcoming generation?  For the better?  For the worse?

Oh - and are we going to call 2019 and before BC?   ;)
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #355 on: May 08, 2020, 03:03:54 PM »

But, from my vantage point, it appears that western society is heading in the wrong direction in this regard.

Every generation has said this about the following one. We work to make the next generation's life easier, but then we complain they have it too easy. Well, wasn't that the point? (Not a question for you, Lion. It's rhetorical)

We had a thread on this subject in P/R last summer.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #356 on: May 08, 2020, 03:09:59 PM »
I think that's a great perspective, TAC.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #357 on: May 08, 2020, 03:58:39 PM »
I've been struggling a lot with the "thicken your skin, kid" vs "I'll open the path of least resistance for you" approaches since I suddenly became a step-father. Then I gave up on big educational convictions and focused on one single crucial aspect: it doesn't matter if the kid has it hard or easy, the important thing is she is never allowed to be blocked by fear of mistakes. Mistakes are gold.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: May 08, 2020, 04:03:57 PM »
Amen!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #359 on: May 08, 2020, 04:19:38 PM »

Every generation has said this about the following one. We work to make the next generation's life easier, but then we complain they have it too easy. Well, wasn't that the point? (Not a question for you, Lion. It's rhetorical)

We had a thread on this subject in P/R last summer.

You're absolutely right, it's kind of our own fault things have turned out this way.

I've been struggling a lot with the "thicken your skin, kid" vs "I'll open the path of least resistance for you" approaches since I suddenly became a step-father. Then I gave up on big educational convictions and focused on one single crucial aspect: it doesn't matter if the kid has it hard or easy, the important thing is she is never allowed to be blocked by fear of mistakes. Mistakes are gold.

100%!

I've been thinking along these lines a fair amount lately.  Our grandparents or great-grandparents living through wars, the depression, all sorts of hardships.  Grit is a good word for how I see my grandparents.  But it wasn't without a cost.  They were certainly more self-sufficient and learned how to get by with what they had AND be appreciative of that.  But they also held people at arms length and weren't very demonstrative.  They also had their bouts with alcoholism and nicotine addition.

How is this covid experience going to change this upcoming generation?  For the better?  For the worse?

I see what you did there  :tup.  Who knows, maybe.  It's a pretty dramatic event.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #360 on: May 08, 2020, 07:34:44 PM »
In the spirit of the thread's name, my wife did something today that reminded me it would fit right in. She does it all the time. I've never called her out on it, I just answer her.

She's in the dining room. I'm in the living room.

Wife (yelling across the house): What date is it? Is it the 8th? (Note: she has both an iPad and her cell phone in front of her)

Me: Yes, it's the 8th.

This happens all the time.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: May 08, 2020, 09:33:17 PM »

I'm sure you know this, but for others that might not, "grit" is now a recognized thing.  I think there's some truth in that. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #362 on: May 11, 2020, 03:10:51 PM »
Watching this video made me think of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE4RbNw4kbU
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #363 on: May 11, 2020, 03:59:27 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: May 11, 2020, 05:49:41 PM »
Holy mackerel.  I was able to mouth the words in real time as they were saying them. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: May 11, 2020, 06:06:08 PM »
Those sunglasses are a bit ridiculous.

I've been to parties recently with candy-filled pinatas. One of them actually had toys in with the candy, and among the toys were tiny water guns. The kid in me who grew up playing with water guns thought "awesome!" The person in me living in the progressive PNW thought "OMG why are we teaching our kids it is ok to play with guns?!"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Harmony

« Reply #366 on: May 11, 2020, 08:54:28 PM »
Just to change it up, I'm usually the one waiting to leave at our house.  LoL

I'm curious though (and I know they are just bantering together for the camera) if he's in such a hurry, why is he sitting their talking about pinatas and not driving already?   :P
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #367 on: May 16, 2020, 05:38:22 AM »
jingle.kids and I used to "bet" on an over/under as to how long we'd have to wait in the car for mrs.jingle when leaving - either our house, or from a friends/family gathering.  I'd say 7-8 minutes was the average.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion