Author Topic: Men are from Mars, Women I have no f*$%ing idea  (Read 17871 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Men are from Mars, Women I have no f*$%ing idea
« Reply #280 on: March 11, 2020, 05:27:29 PM »
I'm just going to pretend that this page never fucking happened. :lol

Yeah, sex sucks and blows, right? Err wait...  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #281 on: March 11, 2020, 06:12:55 PM »
I'm 58 this year, and I can tell you from personal experience that various parts of the human body simply stop working as well as they did when you were younger.  It doesn't help that both myself and my wife have various medical conditions and procedures (coronary bypass for each of us, plus a few others for each of us).  The result is that we love each other very much, and express it in various ways, but the physical expression is just plain strenuous and exhausting for both of us, so it doesn't happen a lot.

On the other hand, I'm a musician.  I can do fucking amazing things with my hands and fingers, and she would agree.  Too much information?  No, I think that's exactly enough.   :hat
Honestly the body slowing down is one of the reasons I started pushing for more sex now in our late 30s when everything is still fully functional. I've already noticed a decrease in stamina so I want to make sure we take full advantage while we can.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #282 on: March 11, 2020, 06:16:05 PM »
I'm 58 this year, and I can tell you from personal experience that various parts of the human body simply stop working as well as they did when you were younger.  It doesn't help that both myself and my wife have various medical conditions and procedures (coronary bypass for each of us, plus a few others for each of us).  The result is that we love each other very much, and express it in various ways, but the physical expression is just plain strenuous and exhausting for both of us, so it doesn't happen a lot.

On the other hand, I'm a musician.  I can do fucking amazing things with my hands and fingers, and she would agree.  Too much information?  No, I think that's exactly enough.   :hat
Honestly the body slowing down is one of the reasons I started pushing for more sex now in our late 30s when everything is still fully functional. I've already noticed a decrease in stamina so I want to make sure we take full advantage while we can.

Is that what you tell her when ice cream doesn't work? :lol
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 06:21:10 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #283 on: March 11, 2020, 07:37:46 PM »

Is that what you tell her when ice cream doesn't work? :lol
:lol works every time.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: March 12, 2020, 06:14:38 AM »

Oh, god, you're in your 30's? Yeah, should definitely be making passes at each other several times per day...maybe even following through each time.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #285 on: March 12, 2020, 06:16:26 AM »
If you haven't yet, Read The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman ... for many men, Physical Touch *is* the language of love.  True, intimate, unconditional *love*.  And that doesn't just mean intercourse.  It's all forms of physical intimacy.  For mrs.jingle, Quality Time and Words of Affirmation are 1a and 1b.

Love that book. I'm strait up physical affection all the way. I've had girls in the past say that I wasn't being verbally affectionate, but it wasn't until I looked at that book that I realized that just wasn't how I was. Even when I tried to be verbally affectionate it felt fake and forced, but I could be physically affectionate all day.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #286 on: March 12, 2020, 06:20:47 AM »
If you haven't yet, Read The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman ... for many men, Physical Touch *is* the language of love.  True, intimate, unconditional *love*.  And that doesn't just mean intercourse.  It's all forms of physical intimacy.  For mrs.jingle, Quality Time and Words of Affirmation are 1a and 1b.

Love that book. I'm strait up physical affection all the way. I've had girls in the past say that I wasn't being verbally affectionate, but it wasn't until I looked at that book that I realized that just wasn't how I was. Even when I tried to be verbally affectionate it felt fake and forced, but I could be physically affectionate all day.
Sounds a lot like me. I read this book a long time ago, may be worth revisiting. I think we have a copy of it laying around somewhere.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #287 on: May 04, 2020, 04:52:29 PM »
New fun incident.  Same issue.  I ask a question, I get a response that provides some information, but doesn't actually answer the question.  Getting an actual answer to my question does not appear to be possible.

The scene: Orbert's house, Saturday afternoon. The kitchen faucet handle keeps coming off.  You can put it back on, and it still turns and controls the water, because it mounts on a square "peg", but it keeps coming off and it's getting annoying.  She wants to get a new one, not from the regular hardware store, which we know is open, but from the fancy place that only sells plumbing and fixtures, because they have some really nice ones.  But this is Illinois, where only "essential services" are open.

Me: Are they open?  I know <regular hardware store> is open, but <fancy place> is hardly essential.

She: I checked their website.

Me: (pause) ...And?

She: It didn't say anything about them being closed.

Okay, so maybe they're open, but more likely they just haven't updated their website. Probably because the person who does that hasn't come in, because they're not essential.

Me: Did you call them?

She: I said I checked the website!

So we're going to play this game, again.

Me: Okay, you checked the website.  What did it say?

She: It didn't say anything about them being closed.

Me:  Did it say anything about them being open?

She: No.

Me: Then we don't actually know.  Try calling them.

She: I checked the website!

Me: You said that.  Did you call them?

She: No!

I'm doing other stuff anyway, so I just leave the room rather than get into an argument.  Later I come back upstairs to make some coffee.

She: So when are we going to <fancy place>?

Me: Did you call them yet?

She: I told you!  I checked the website!

Me: Right, but the website did not tell you whether they're open or closed.

She: I know that!

Me:  So... we could find out, if someone wanted to, you know, call them.

Foolishly, I reach the same conclusion that always bites me in the ass.  That is, since she is the one who wants to go there in the first place, then she should be the one to work out the details.  I am willing to work with her on this, but since she already knows what she wants to do, my contribution is in the form of advising the best way to get the information we both need.  I head back downstairs to drink my coffee while I surf the net some more.  I come back up a half hour later or so to rinse my coffee cup.

She: The website says <fancy place> is open until 4:00 today.  (It is now 2:30.)

Me: Did you call them?

She: Look, it says right on the website that they're open on Saturdays until 4:00.  Why should I call them?

I don't care anymore.  I should just call them myself, but I'm willing to drive all the way out there, to either get a faucet or prove her wrong; it doesn't even matter at this point.  I haven't left the house in a week, and find myself actually looking forward to it.

We drive "all the way out there", about 20 minutes.  It is absolutely gorgeous outside.  It's 70 degrees and sunny, and I have a nice buzz on.  She's driving.  We slow as we enter the parking lot and she sees that it is completely empty.

She: Oh, it looks like they're closed.

Me: That's why I asked if you'd called them.  Twice, at least.

She: But I checked their website!

At least I got out of the house for a while, and it was nice out.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #288 on: May 04, 2020, 08:26:46 PM »
:zeltar:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #289 on: May 04, 2020, 08:29:29 PM »
You’d have been so screwed if they were open.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: May 04, 2020, 08:50:08 PM »
Saw this thread had a new post... was hoping it was Orbert. Did not disappoint.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #291 on: May 04, 2020, 11:30:21 PM »
You’d have been so screwed if they were open.

If they had been open, then cool, we would've masked up and gone in and bought a new faucet.  It would've been win-win.  Instead, it was a nice drive out to the fancy place that was closed.  I was the only one who got something out of it, but it was her own damned fault, and I'm not gonna feel bad about that.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: May 05, 2020, 05:50:11 AM »
 :lol

Perfect update to the OP! Thanks, Orbert.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #293 on: May 05, 2020, 05:56:21 AM »
In my house, the roles would be reversed. My wife would be, "Can you just call?". I hate calling anywhere.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #294 on: May 05, 2020, 07:00:29 AM »
I hate calling places as well. I have literally put things off for years just because I would have had to call to make an appointment.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 01:24:30 PM by lordxizor »

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #295 on: May 05, 2020, 07:10:12 AM »
In my house, the roles would be reversed. My wife would be, "Can you just call?". I hate calling anywhere.

This sentence is so familiar it almost hurts...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #296 on: May 05, 2020, 07:22:59 AM »
Bob, I feel your pain.  Seriously.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #297 on: May 05, 2020, 07:24:24 AM »
Orbert, your post was the perfect way for me to start my day today  :lol
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: May 05, 2020, 08:10:16 AM »
:lol that was a great post. My wife is completely allergic to making phone calls so if we need to call about anything I need to do it. I eventually got fed up with it and said no, your problem you call. Typically the stuff she asks me to call about returns that she mailed back.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #299 on: May 05, 2020, 08:14:31 AM »
I feel like I'm looking in a mirror, though I'm with TAC: it would be the other way around. 

One of the things that is bugging me, and it might be quarantine, who knows, is pronouns.  I'll be sitting there and she'll walk in and say "So, she's getting married, and he doesn't want to have a big wedding, but she's like, we have so many people who do we exclude, and they want to have a say in who goes, but he's not budging, and she's threatening to not pay for the wedding.  So she's heartbroken and wants to call the whole thing off.  He is willing to help with the money, but he's not budging on demanding that his parents be there."   And as I'm listening I realize that my wife has just referred to six different people using only "he" and "she".  Add to it that I don't know ANY of these people from the mailman, and I'm like "Oh, that sounds like a mess!" and go back to my book.   

The problem is when it gets important.  We're in the middle of a dispute with her ex; "Honey, Jim* called.  He said that he's not willing to budge on the dollar figure, but he can probably get him to agree to a different schedule for him."  Let's unpack that:   our lawyer, the person we're "suing" (not really, but it's close enough) and HIS lawyer are all named "Jim", so there's that. Who called?  I can assume it's our lawyer.  "He said" is not OUR lawyer, but THEIR lawyer.   "he's not" is the guy we're "fighting".   "he can" is unclear, it's one of the lawyers.   "get him" is the guy we're fighting.   "for him" is a new person, her son, who is involved in this.   I have to do this in real time, AND understand the content of the statement.  Usually I just smile, but there are times when I have to say, nicely, "go back over that and put in real names not pronouns, please."

* Not his real name.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #300 on: May 05, 2020, 08:23:52 AM »
I get this is a thread to complain about how women communicate - or don't as the case may be.  So forgive me for jumping in here but I deal with this issue mostly with my kids.  And the funny thing is I'm probably guilty of this as well sometimes but I find myself asking them, "Can't you please just be direct with your question/need/desire?"

Ask for what you want.  Be kind about it, but be direct.  Wash/rinse/repeat.

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #301 on: May 05, 2020, 08:24:18 AM »
When my wife is rambling, I usually tell my wife to tap me on the arm once if she wants me to say yes, and tap it twice if you want me to say no.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #302 on: May 05, 2020, 08:35:32 AM »
I get this is a thread to complain about how women communicate - or don't as the case may be.  So forgive me for jumping in here but I deal with this issue mostly with my kids.  And the funny thing is I'm probably guilty of this as well sometimes but I find myself asking them, "Can't you please just be direct with your question/need/desire?"

If it matters to you, I approach it as "spouses"; it just happens that the OP was a man and his spouse was a woman.  I'm damn near perfect (:)) but I'm pretty sure my wife could drum up something that she can complain about with my communication skills (or lack thereof).  :)

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #303 on: May 05, 2020, 08:43:24 AM »

I totally hear you about the kids thing.  For some reason, they all just expect that everyone knows what they are talking about while giving as little information as possible.  Especially my teens.  :lol  But I still love them to death.

When my wife is rambling, I usually tell my wife to tap me on the arm once if she wants me to say yes, and tap it twice if you want me to say no.

:rollin.  I love my wife dearly, but man do I know how you feel!  And she gets incensed when she realizes nobody is listening to her anymore.  It's usually the kids though.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 09:12:42 AM by Northern Lion »
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #304 on: May 05, 2020, 09:34:02 AM »
My wife has this thing where once she starts driving, she has to call someone. So when she leaves work, she'll call me and proceed to tell me everything she's going to tell me when she gets home anyway. I usually just say, "Don't you have your mother or your sister to call? You can get that out of the way now."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #305 on: May 05, 2020, 10:08:06 AM »

Harmony, I admit that I forget sometimes that there are females on board here, and I sincerely apologize if I've offended you or anyone else with my blatant sexism.  I'm old, I'm old-fashioned, and I was never that enlightened to begin with, so when my wife and I are having communication issues (which actually isn't nearly as often as it might seem, based on my posts), I tend to write it off as a male/female thing.  Sexist as it is, males do tend to have fundamentally different communication styles from females in general.  In general.  And my wife and I happen to fall right into the stereotypes.

I try to take the edge off of it by writing up my adventures in a hopefully humorous or at least amusing way, but you're absolutely right: This is more of a general conflict of communication styles than it is a strictly male/female thing.  I've tried to teach my kids the same thing.  Say what you mean.  Ask questions if you don't know.  At the very least, don't do something stupid (which includes wasting your own time or someone else's) when you could have easily obtained a bit of knowledge that would have saved everyone some trouble.  Again, my wife does not seem to share that philosophy, but it's not specifically a gender thing.

You guys saying you hate calling places: I do, too.  But I hate wasting time, effort, and/or money even more, when a simple phone call would've avoided it all.  I absolutely would've made the call, especially since I fully expected to hear a recording saying that they were closed due to the lockdown blah blah blah.  Except that if I'd made the call, it would have exacerbated the issue.  If they were closed, she'd be pissed that I called after she already told me (multiple times) that she'd checked the website.  Doesn't matter that the website obviously hasn't been updated in months; I should have trusted her, and trusted her judgement, and I didn't.  So I'd be in the wrong, even if I was right.  If they were open, it would've been even worse.  I didn't trust her, and it turned out she was right after all.  The only possible move was to just get in the car and go out there with her.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #306 on: May 05, 2020, 10:17:18 AM »

Harmony, I admit that I forget sometimes that there are females on board here, and I sincerely apologize if I've offended you or anyone else with my blatant sexism.  I'm old, I'm old-fashioned, and I was never that enlightened to begin with, so when my wife and I are having communication issues (which actually isn't nearly as often as it might seem, based on my posts), I tend to write it off as a male/female thing.  Sexist as it is, males do tend to have fundamentally different communication styles from females in general.  In general.  And my wife and I happen to fall right into the stereotypes.

I try to take the edge off of it by writing up my adventures in a hopefully humorous or at least amusing way, but you're absolutely right: This is more of a general conflict of communication styles than it is a strictly male/female thing.  I've tried to teach my kids the same thing.  Say what you mean.  Ask questions if you don't know.  At the very least, don't do something stupid (which includes wasting your own time or someone else's) when you could have easily obtained a bit of knowledge that would have saved everyone some trouble.  Again, my wife does not seem to share that philosophy, but it's not specifically a gender thing.

You guys saying you hate calling places: I do, too.  But I hate wasting time, effort, and/or money even more, when a simple phone call would've avoided it all.  I absolutely would've made the call, especially since I fully expected to hear a recording saying that they were closed due to the lockdown blah blah blah.  Except that if I'd made the call, it would have exacerbated the issue.  If they were closed, she'd be pissed that I called after she already told me (multiple times) that she'd checked the website.  Doesn't matter that the website obviously hasn't been updated in months; I should have trusted her, and trusted her judgement, and I didn't.  So I'd be in the wrong, even if I was right.  If they were open, it would've been even worse.  I didn't trust her, and it turned out she was right after all.  The only possible move was to just get in the car and go out there with her.

I'm not offended at all.  Lord knows I have kvetched about husbands with my female friends.

So I hope you won't be offended by my next observation.  You say it was the "only possible move" to just get in the car and go.  But I don't think that's true.  I think you might have tried, "Honey, I don't want to drive out there only to find the store is closed.  One of us needs to call first.  Do you want to do it or do you want me to do it?"  If she hems and haws, then you have your answer.  You call.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #307 on: May 05, 2020, 10:51:28 AM »
Harmony has it right.  Or another option - "I think you should call to verify that they're open because a lot of stores aren't updating their websites and this is something that you really want.  But if you don't want to and don't mind taking a ride and getting out of the house for a while, I'm happy to go with you."

It is a funny story though. :)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #308 on: May 05, 2020, 10:52:13 AM »
Not a bad idea, but I still think it's risky.  She was absolutely certain that the website was accurate -- despite my pointing out what I considered a valid reason why it might not be -- and insisting that one of us call ahead is still tantamount to not trusting her judgement.  But you're right; it's an option I hadn't thought of.

Offline emtee

« Reply #309 on: May 05, 2020, 11:16:00 AM »
Funny story.

Been married 33 years and we've compromised thousands of times but in this case I think the onus was on her to call. 

Offline Harmony

« Reply #310 on: May 05, 2020, 11:17:43 AM »
I get that she might see it that way.  But now you can point out that you trusted her judgment about this and then she got it wrong because you didn't make that call.

Walking on egg shells in a relationship sucks.  But frankly, if she gets her nose bent out of shape because you wanted to take one more step to ensure you weren't wasting time, then that's on her to talk to you about her feelings.  She can have her feelings.  That doesn't mean she's right.  And you can acknowledge that it might feel to her that you didn't trust her judgment but really you were just trying to make the best of the situation at hand.  And welcome her to do the same thing if the situation is ever reversed.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: May 05, 2020, 11:20:19 AM »
The wifey and I get into it on this subject in a different way.  She's Google a place and they have their hours but Google isn't always updates so I tell her to go on their website.  She gets irritated because i don't believe her.  I'm driving, I can'y check but I would like to and may of times the hours were different on their website.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Harmony

« Reply #312 on: May 05, 2020, 11:21:22 AM »
Funny story.

Been married 33 years and we've compromised thousands of times but in this case I think the onus was on her to call.

Not sure I agree.  She felt like she did her due diligence.  Orbert wasn't satisfied with that (and he was ultimately correct) so the onus was on him to call.  I mean, if my old man didn't trust my judgment on something like that, I'd invite him to check it out for himself.  Or go run the errand by myself.

I mean, it's ok to take responsibility for doing what we ourselves think is correct in a given situation.  I don't mean be a dick about it.  Just if it is that important to you, take the bull by the horns.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #313 on: May 05, 2020, 11:30:50 AM »
Ok, I'd hate to be too much nosey, but

Is the faucet handle ok now?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: May 05, 2020, 11:32:25 AM »
Funny story.

Not sure I agree.  She felt like she did her due diligence.  Orbert wasn't satisfied with that (and he was ultimately correct) so the onus was on him to call.  I mean, if my old man didn't trust my judgment on something like that, I'd invite him to check it out for himself.  Or go run the errand by myself.

I mean, it's ok to take responsibility for doing what we ourselves think is correct in a given situation.  I don't mean be a dick about it.  Just if it is that important to you, take the bull by the horns.

She may take it as he doesn't trust her so that's why Orbert was hesitant.  That's a guess.  Me personally. I would tell her i want to call so we don't wait our time driving everywhere.