Author Topic: Thomas Lang discusses Dream Theater Audition  (Read 7230 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Thomas Lang discusses Dream Theater Audition
« on: February 17, 2020, 06:06:00 PM »
Really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q1KkuiJljQ

Dammit. I meant to put this on the DT Side. Oh well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Thomas Lang discusses Dream Theater Audition
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 06:09:00 PM »
This was the guy I was REALLY hoping would get it.

However, seeing how he's progressed as a drummer, and seeing how I don't like DT's music recently, I'm glad they're not working together. I think they'd hold him back.

Now, if Petrucci can try new things finally and do a new type of solo album, I think those two would be a fantastic combo.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 06:18:21 PM »
Was planning on posting this the other day but forgot about it. Thomas is such a beast of a drummer.
Interesting thing about Thomas talking with Portnoy before the audition.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Adami

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 06:27:02 PM »
I appreciate the blunt responses he gave.

Wish the interviewer wasn't so bias and trying to egg Thomas into bashing DT or creating drama. Glad Lang didn't fall for it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 06:50:12 PM »
Wish the interviewer wasn't so bias and trying to egg Thomas into bashing DT or creating drama. Glad Lang didn't fall for it.

Definitely.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Volante99

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 06:57:58 PM »
DT: So how many drums would you use on stage?

Thomas Lang: Oh! I could probably get by with a 4-piece.

DT: :(

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 08:35:07 PM »

I didn't really feel like that was happening.

I haven't really though about those auditions in a LONG time, and I don't know anything about this guy, but these are some interesting comments.  It'd be interesting to hear similar interviews with the other guys.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Volante99

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 09:12:39 PM »

I haven't really though about those auditions in a LONG time, and I don't know anything about this guy, but these are some interesting comments.  It'd be interesting to hear similar interviews with the other guys.

Marco Minneman had similar comments; the experience was kind of weird, not a DT fan, he didn’t REALLY want to be in the band blah blah.

I think they feel a bit “used” and probably a bit peeved how the documentary was edited to make them look inferior to Mangini in some way. I can’t completely fault them there but, at the end of the day, I think it was good publicity for all involved.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:23:33 PM by Volante99 »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 09:24:28 PM »

Marco Minneman had similar comments; the experience was kind of weird, not a DT fan, he didn’t REALLY want to be in the band blah blah.

I think they feel a bit “used” and probably a bit peeved how the documentary was edited to make them look inferior to Mangini in some way. I can’t completely fault them there but, at the end of the day, I think it was good publicity for all involved.

Actually, I thought it was edited to make Marco out to be the favorite.   Wasn't it Marco's audition that made JLB go over and whisper to JP about how great he was? 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 10:50:42 PM »
Interesting too that Thomas auditioned for Avenged Sevenfold around the same time as the DT auditions.

That interviewer was awful. Kept interrupting and trying to get Thomas to bash DT.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 06:16:01 AM »
Thanks Ariich!!! :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 06:18:52 AM »
Lang was very respectful, but honest in this. Seemed DT was never really up front with what they were planning.

Still the drummer audition video was a damn stroke of genius. And what a great service to Mangini to introduce him to the DT fandom like that. That allowed him to really hit the ground running.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 07:08:28 AM »

Actually, I thought it was edited to make Marco out to be the favorite.   Wasn't it Marco's audition that made JLB go over and whisper to JP about how great he was?

Yes, but kind of just to give a feeling of a real menace to our "true hero". Like Yoda on Empire Strikes Back talking "No there's another Skywalker". Anyway, this interview was the best insight about the drum audition and Thomas was very honest and classy at same time.

"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 07:58:48 AM »
Cool interview.  Too bad the interviewer is such a douche.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 08:10:00 AM »

I was laughing about that after the fact when the interview ended, and then this jam video of him and Virgil came up next on the playlist, and he has a MASSIVE kit with 3 bass drums and about 4,000 toms:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxOfiCCI-Ao  :lol

Cool interview.  Too bad the interviewer is such a douche.

Yeah.  On one hand, he asked a lot of really cool questions, and wasn't afraid to push and ask tough follow-up questions.  That's a great interview skill, just to be able to listen, and process, and then dig based on what is said.  But on the other hand, there were times when it was clear that he didn't really listen past his own preconceived idea of how things went down.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 08:31:20 AM »

I think Marco in particular is always about putting his past opportunities down to raise up whatever he is currently doing. Instead of just saying "yeah I auditioned for the fun of it, I didn't think it would be a great fit from the start but it was a fun process and I wish them all the best" he started really making sure that people know Dream Theater is actually beneath him. He's doing the same thing with his gig with Steven Wilson now, saying that he never listened to his music before he joined the band and now that he is out he will not "have to listen to it". Like, it's fine, we get it, you don't think getting these opportunities is a big deal, and when you get rejected you always have something better on the horizon. We get it, you're a playa.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2020, 06:03:39 PM »
Now that the hype has died down, I can admit that I was a total fanboy when the documentary came out. In retrospect, it does seem a bit , shall we say, lacking in tact, to put these guys through the ringer and not be totally up front about their intentions. I do wonder if Mangini was always the guy they wanted or if there was some legitimacy to the auditions.

With that said, I still love watching the documentary and having that be my introduction to Mike Mangini, who I kind of felt like I knew by the end of the series. He quickly became one of my favorite members of the band.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2020, 07:14:50 PM »
The interview was nice, the interviewer not so much.
The only thing that got me is that he kept saying from the beginning that 7 drummers didn't get th gig, but I only saw 7 (including MM) who is the other drummer?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2020, 07:21:12 PM »
Portnoy? :neverusethis:

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 07:32:09 PM »
I guess it is Bobby Jarzombek but he didn't audition because of schedule conflict.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 10:01:39 PM »
That interviewer was awful. Kept interrupting and trying to get Thomas to bash DT.

Yeah, what a douche, especially when TL started talking about the release form and he's trying to say how DT were dicks and shady for trying to pull something and whatever.

My biggest takeaway from this was when TL was saying about "how do you tell the world that you're moving forward and not fading away cuz MP is gone and get the world excited... you have a huge audition with great drummers".  That was a nice info nugget that makes total sense when you look at the whole process.

Also cool how he went to the A7 audition and "slaughtered" the songs but he always knew it wouldn't be for him but he still killed it.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2020, 10:20:04 PM »

Also cool how he went to the A7 audition and "slaughtered" the songs but he always knew it wouldn't be for him but he still killed it.

Crazy to think that Mike Portnoy AND Thomas Lang (and God knows who else) wanted the Ax7 gig and they went with...Arin Illejay?

Pretty clear that, at the time, they just wanted someone inexpensive, who would play the parts and keep quiet.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2020, 12:11:14 PM »

Crazy to think that Mike Portnoy AND Thomas Lang (and God knows who else) wanted the Ax7 gig and they went with...Arin Illejay?

Pretty clear that, at the time, they just wanted someone inexpensive, who would play the parts and keep quiet.

It all worked out though, because Brooks Wackerman is an absolute monster for A7X.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online Adami

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2020, 12:37:41 PM »

Doesn't sound like Lang wanted the Ax7 gig at all.

Plus it's like when Korn auditioned Terry Bosio. OBVIOUSLY Korn isn't going to go with Terry Bosio.

You don't just take the most talented person, you pick the person who is the best fit for the band.

John Petrucci would be a terrible choice if Metallica ever got rid of Kirk. You know? Fit is way more important than technical ability. Being able to play the parts perfectly doesn't mean you're a good match for the band.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2020, 03:31:26 PM »
The most surprising part for me was the amount of communication between the drummers beforehand. This has been surmised before, but it sounds like essentially everybody went into this knowing it would be MM.

One part I didn't quite get (and I don't feel like relistening): did they themselves pay for the flight etc?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2020, 03:40:49 PM »
No, DT paid for the flight.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2020, 03:14:01 AM »
Well, being paid for jamming out with the guys in DT and having the exposition it brings on your resumè shouldn't be considered an horrible ordeal, even if they had they mind on Mangini from the start.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2020, 03:31:21 PM »
Well, being paid for jamming out with the guys in DT and having the exposition it brings on your resumè shouldn't be considered an horrible ordeal, even if they had they mind on Mangini from the start.
... unless you ask Minneman  :P seriously I know most SW fans (which is about 50% of this forum) love the guy but he should talk less.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2020, 03:45:59 PM »
Personally, I really liked the audition video they produced quite a bit.  And I loved all the drummers.  I thought they were all class acts and it showed just how much talent DT had to choose from.

My guess is it was probably hard for them to narrow it down to the ones they flew out for the audition.  There is just so much talent out there these days.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2020, 05:11:40 PM »
It was likely the record company that decided to do the audition series, with guys DT decided upon. I do wonder though, if the drummers knew they were going to be filming the auditions, or doing the documentary series?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2020, 07:34:18 PM »
It was likely the record company that decided to do the audition series, with guys DT decided upon. I do wonder though, if the drummers knew they were going to be filming the auditions, or doing the documentary series?

That's a good question.  My guess is they did since there were cameras set up in the studio.  And I'm assuming they were foll on big professional cameras and not little hidden ones.  But who knows.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2020, 10:11:58 PM »
I do wonder though, if the drummers knew they were going to be filming the auditions, or doing the documentary series?
Judging by Marco, Thomas and Derek's comments, they knew there was filming that was happening, but they were not made aware (at least initially) that parts of it would be aired to the public.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2020, 07:08:41 AM »

I can understand both their points though. I've heard him play on a "standard" sized kit (on some live show with Falco, can't remember when that gig was though, early 1990s probably) and once in person on a much larger kit. DT's music largely needs this much, but him originating from a pop backround (Gianna Nannini, Falco and others) it makes sense for him to say so too. Did I like the way he played? No, but that's besides the point. (I still think MM was the right choice, although I was skeptical about him at the beginning of the first part of the doc. Not because I didn't like him then, but rather because I thought he was holding back a bit too much.)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 07:13:55 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2020, 01:57:21 AM »
OK, I'm done with the audition interviews. Always the "Marco Minnemann feeling".

"Oh no, I didn't want to be in the band".
"Oh no, I don't like the band"
"Oh no, I didn't want to audition, but I did it anyway"
"Oh, no, I didn't want to be in a documentary, but I've still authorized it."
"I was manipulated all the time to do things I didn't even want to"

Please.

We can conclude that the only drummer in the world who wanted to play on DT was Mike Mangini.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2020, 11:19:12 AM »

And there's nothing wrong with them saying we want MM from the start but you still have go through the process of auditioning MM and you might as well bring in other drummers if for some reason MM didn't work out. And from a bigger picture perspective, they're still a business and they need to maximize DT's exposure especially when a fan favorite decides to walk. The other drummers knew what they were getting into and if they didn't then they're being pretty naïve. They all have careers and they know about marketing and yes, go to the audition, even if your not a DT fan (as a drummer), the audition could change their mind.

Also, it could have been the editing but I agree with another poster, it sure appeared that MM really wanted that job more than the other guys.