Author Topic: Kattelox's 3.5 KISS Tournament Roulette - Post-Roulette: Puppies_On_Albums  (Read 51060 times)

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Re: Kattelox's 3.5 KISS Tournament Roulette - round 1 results pt. 1
« Reply #455 on: February 26, 2020, 11:54:15 PM »
Ah well at least won the round that doesn't count  :D

I would say the song is quite representative of her style, but still the album is quite varied (and not too long) :))

Edit: I mean cats are superior in every way, what other animal has such a good music taste. There's a meme right now about cats liking FKA Twigs (not joking)  :D
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #456 on: February 27, 2020, 04:43:02 AM »
Well then, I perform well and still don't get the prize. Seems like that is the norm for me in your roulettes  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #457 on: February 27, 2020, 07:07:06 AM »
Sorry home, Nekov, still really dug your songs though :hug: The Sacul-lonestar match is the most difficult one of the whole round. Results this morning
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #458 on: February 27, 2020, 07:09:53 AM »
WAITING for Sacul results?

Ironic.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #459 on: February 27, 2020, 07:27:45 AM »
 :corn

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #460 on: February 27, 2020, 07:38:28 AM »
WAITING for Sacul results?

Ironic.

:rollin :rollin
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #461 on: February 27, 2020, 07:58:10 AM »
Are we sending? Should we send?  I'm so confused.  :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: February 27, 2020, 08:01:25 AM »
Are we sending? Should we send?  I'm so confused.  :)

I've made a very painful decision (lonestar vs. Sacul) and am working on one last painful decision. Results relatively shortly (30ish minutes?). So ahead and send now if you want, unless you want to know who you're up against first. I'll post an updated bracket with the second half of results
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #463 on: February 27, 2020, 08:04:40 AM »
I'll send tonight. leaving for work shortly and I'm not quite narrowed down.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #464 on: February 27, 2020, 08:08:22 AM »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kattelox's 3.5 KISS Tournament Roulette - round 1 results/send for round 2
« Reply #465 on: February 27, 2020, 08:18:32 AM »
Psych.

MATCH 2
---
//WINNER// Dacul: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Sun Forest
lonestar: Disperse - Message from Atlantis
---
Jesus. RJ, I'm sorry you had to go up against the guy who won my first two roulettes. Message From Atlantis is a really cool song. The guys holding down the rhythms create this very cool musical texture. The soft break has this Opethian style I think they pull off marvelously, and I love the piano in the finale. However... the Nick Cave song has me floored. I think it's the best song of the round. The lyrics are pure poetry. The dark moaning synths paint a desolate landscape behind them. This track sounds gentle but it's really a hulking behemoth of grief. I love it. I even did some reading on the album, and have to hear it now. RJ, please play in my next roulette, I don't think I'll be doing eliminations. :hug:

MATCH 6
---
Elite: Avandra - Derelict Minds (feat. Kevin Moore)
//WINNER// jingle.boy: Bruce Springsteen - Jungleland
---
Next to Sacul v. lonestar, Elite v. jingle.boy is the biggest nailbiter of the round for me. Really difficult choosing between these two. Derelict Minds has a fucking sweet riff and great solos with one of my favorite musicians ever guesting. But... BUT! It also sounds a lot like a bunch of other bands, and KevMo doesn't really help it stand out. Very good song, but the competition was something out of left field: a Bruce Springsteen song I've never heard of. But even I know of Clarence Clemons. God damn, that man can play a sax. And I really dig the lyrical side of Bruce Springsteen, although he's from a world I'm just not from, I love the way he can paint a picture, a uniquely American sort of picture, and the music to this little story is the backdrop for a big musical adventure. Those last few minutes almost feel unnecessary with how good the song ends with the sax solo, but that last swell with the piano run justifies it. Definitely got me interested in Springsteen again with this and now I gotta pick up a vinyl or two. Thanks for playing Elite  :biggrin:

MATCH 7
---
//WINNER// Cyril: Spanish Love Songs - Losers, Pt. 2
Train of Naught: Arcane Roots - Arp
---
Ooooh man. I went back and forth on this one so many times. "Losers, Pt. 2" is a really catchy song with a big energy about it and the singer has this peculiar, warbly voice that actually manages to fit with the music very well. Normally I'd hate his voice. Lyrically I love it, except for the lyrics in the soft bridge towards the end, which actually makes me roll my eyes and... yeah. Just a personal thing. So that part kind of sucks, but the rest of the song is catchy as fuck. Train's song is really good and has a curious vibe to it, and instrumentally I think I like it more than Cyril's song, actually. However, I can never really recall moments of this when I try to think of it, which is the real killer. It is fun and it's a good song, but Cyril's got the jump on ya this time. Sorry Train. Thanks so much for playing, please check out my next one if I do it, because I'll probably go back to no eliminations then :hug:

MATCH 8
---
kingshmegland: Mile Marker Zero - The Architect
//WINNER// Buddyhunter1: Anamanaguchi - Sunset by Plane
---
Buddy's piece starts off reminding me of one of my favorite artists, Tycho. And then it goes into this heavy electronic-metal sort of thing with these calm female vocals over them - I've heard songs like that before, and have no idea if there's a specific name for this type of style. But I dig it. I can vibe to this. king's piece - I dig the grenetic energy on display here. The guitars are doing some wild stuff. But overall, it's not kicking me in the ass the way Anamanaguchi is. I need more keys to add some depth to this guitar-centric piece. Thanks for playing, king!  :hat

If you're on desktop and it looks too small, click the pic and it should enlarge:

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 08:26:04 AM by Kattelox »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Kattelox's 3.5 KISS Tournament Roulette - round 1 results / send for round 2
« Reply #466 on: February 27, 2020, 08:30:51 AM »
:(
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline romdrums

Re: Kattelox's 3.5 KISS Tournament Roulette - round 1 results / send for round 2
« Reply #467 on: February 27, 2020, 08:45:57 AM »
Damn, this roulette is like all boss levels.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #468 on: February 27, 2020, 08:49:30 AM »
Wooooo!
Check out the rest of that album, I think you'll like it a lot!

Welp, time to get curbstomped by Cyril. I know what I'm going to send - you'll get it shortly.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #469 on: February 27, 2020, 08:51:11 AM »
I'll send tonight. leaving for work shortly and I'm not quite narrowed down.

That's exactly where I am at this point.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #470 on: February 27, 2020, 09:04:56 AM »
Welp, time to get curbstomped by Cyril.
no idea why you think this will be the case  :metal

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #471 on: February 27, 2020, 09:09:05 AM »
You always say that. ;D
That said, I did send my favorite song from one of my favorite albums (that I think also overlaps with Katt's tastes) so here's hoping  :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #472 on: February 27, 2020, 09:15:01 AM »
i sent a good song to keep a theme going that tbh i have no clue how katt will react to

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #473 on: February 27, 2020, 09:20:56 AM »
Also I have a first attempt at an EP and it's 1 minute too long :'(

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #474 on: February 27, 2020, 09:22:14 AM »
if i somehow beat you send me your EP and i'll send it to katt so i don't have to make one myself

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #475 on: February 27, 2020, 09:28:28 AM »
Wooooo!
Check out the rest of that album, I think you'll like it a lot!

Welp, time to get curbstomped by Cyril. I know what I'm going to send - you'll get it shortly.

Good game Buddyhunter.  Good luck!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #476 on: February 27, 2020, 09:38:35 AM »
if i somehow beat you send me your EP and i'll send it to katt so i don't have to make one myself

Sure, though honestly apart from one artist I think all three of us would enjoy a lot, it might be too risky :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #477 on: February 27, 2020, 09:47:07 AM »
Oh well! That song was actually possibly my best shot, so i probably wouldn’t have a good chance at making it super far, but I’m glad you liked the song anyway. The album is absolutely one of the best of the last decade in my opinion.

I may still send an EP when the time comes  :hat back to trying to finally snatching a roulette win again at Puppies’ (a man can hope)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #478 on: February 27, 2020, 09:47:50 AM »
Wooo, I'm still in, damn :lol .

Yeah that's quite a crushing album thematically, and the previous one even moreso. But I think you'd enjoy them, they're gorgeous.

I've got plenty of songs lined up, just need to carefully choose another banger...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: February 27, 2020, 09:52:48 AM »
Yeah, if anybody still wants to send an EP or an album when the time comes please do. Send it whenever. Or album suggestions for me to check out after the roulette is over. Especially RJ and Train who I'm still super curious about when it comes to their taste since they haven't been in my roulettes very much.  :heart

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #480 on: February 27, 2020, 10:20:49 AM »

I was worried exactly for that lull section, as I agree that it does drag on a bit... but the climax is worth it.

Tomi....

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #481 on: February 27, 2020, 10:36:07 AM »
Just so you know, I definitely do not mind losing to Jungleland at all.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: February 27, 2020, 10:42:50 AM »
Good, 'cause I feel a little bad about kicking you because I liked the Avandra song a LOT!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #483 on: February 27, 2020, 10:48:32 AM »
Rank every song from this round I wanna know how lucky I got to barely scrape through  :corn

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: February 27, 2020, 10:54:02 AM »
Rank every song from this round I wanna know how lucky I got to barely scrape through  :corn

Threw this together super quickly but I'd say this is about right; the top 3 for sure, and the bottom 3 for sure, everything in the middle is more or less on the same level. Coheed is the only thing I didn't really enjoy; everything from Derelict Minds on up was 'very good' to 'awesome.' Doesn't really mean much but here ya go:

Dacul: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Sun Forest
romdrums: The Panic Division - Silver Rings
Stadler: Billy Joel - Zanzibar
Cyril: Spanish Love Songs - Losers, Pt. 2
Train of Naught: Arcane Roots - Arp
Tomislav95: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Ship Song
jingle.boy: Bruce Springsteen - Jungleland
Buddyhunter1: Anamanaguchi - Sunset by Plane
lonestar: Disperse - Message from Atlantis
Elite: Avandra - Derelict Minds (feat. Kevin Moore)
Nekov: Bend Sinister - Best of You
ariich: Gabrielle Aplin - Skeleton
TAC: Insomnium - Out to the Sea
home: FKA twigs - home with you
kingshmegland: Mile Marker Zero - The Architect
Puppies_On_Acid: Coheed and Cambria - Key Entity Extraction I: Domino the Destitute

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #485 on: February 27, 2020, 11:01:25 AM »
Ouch poor trainy  :lol
Also TAC got super lucky apparently

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: February 27, 2020, 11:08:27 AM »
I generally try to think of only the songs being matched up with one another.  TAC and home, Sacul and RJ, and jingle and Elite were really tough.  And you and Train of course.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #487 on: February 27, 2020, 11:11:26 AM »
Only middle of the road? Bah...
I know, I'm not dead, I shouldn't be complaining. :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #488 on: February 27, 2020, 11:13:04 AM »
 :|

Wow. I really can't say in a pc way what I thought of the song that beat me. If that's the best of the round, I'd gather I'd be missing your wheelhouse more than hitting it. Thanks for letting me play man.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: February 27, 2020, 11:23:06 AM »
:|

Wow. I really can't say in a pc way what I thought of the song that beat me. If that's the best of the round, I'd gather I'd be missing your wheelhouse more than hitting it. Thanks for letting me play man.

I knew you'd be unhappy with the result after reading your impression of it  :lol nah man, we share a love of IQ so that alone tells me I think you'd have plenty of cool stuff to offer.

Buddy... go guns blazing next round  :corn