Author Topic: Kattelox's 3.5 KISS Tournament Roulette - Post-Roulette: Puppies_On_Albums  (Read 50893 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Kattelox's 3.5 KISS Tournament Roulette - FREEBIE ROUND HANGMAN
« Reply #175 on: February 18, 2020, 10:01:13 PM »
Eh, mine was a blatant toss into his wheelhouse, I'm thinking 4 or 5.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #176 on: February 19, 2020, 01:12:56 AM »
2. Fortunately for you, you get a second chance. This is almost headache-inducing

6. *that moment in the first Austin Powers movie where he has headphones on then tries to play a CD on a turntable*

7. Oh shit... this sucks

10. I liked the beginning most

12. *blinks in what*

15. This one is pleasant but weird. Sounds so 90s to me

One of these, I guess?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #177 on: February 19, 2020, 07:34:38 AM »
Have a Nice Life is the delightful sonic texture.

Yeah but no it ain't tho

I’ll take 11.

no u wont

Eh, mine was a blatant toss into his wheelhouse, I'm thinking 4 or 5.

icy hot

2. Fortunately for you, you get a second chance. This is almost headache-inducing

6. *that moment in the first Austin Powers movie where he has headphones on then tries to play a CD on a turntable*

7. Oh shit... this sucks

12. *blinks in what*

One of these, I guess?

Cyril level accuracy
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #178 on: February 19, 2020, 08:06:38 AM »

7. Oh shit... this sucks

Mine could only be one of these. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #179 on: February 19, 2020, 10:05:02 AM »
9 is mine.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: February 20, 2020, 04:22:37 AM »
14 maybe?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: February 20, 2020, 07:35:19 AM »
results for freebie round coming in soon, please standby and prepare for the real round 1, this is your chance to change course if need be  :corn
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kattelox's 3.5 KISS Tournament Roulette - Freebie results pt 1
« Reply #182 on: February 20, 2020, 08:32:59 AM »
Freebie results pt 1: appreciated the insane variety to start things off, hopefully my impressions can give you a better chance of not getting eliminated in the next round  :corn pt 2 coming soon

---

MATCH 1: PUPPIES_ON_ACID VS. ROMDRUMS

Puppies_On_Acid: Laster - Vacuum=/=Behoud

Well. There's nothing to counter the relentless onslaught of loudness here. This is a cacophony.

romdrums: Gojira - Global Warming
16. Sounds like they've been listening to Leprous compared to the last time I heard these guys

Last time I listened to Gojira I was a teenager and it sounded way, way heavier than this. The melodic groove in the arpeggiated riff reeks of Leprous to me which is awesome. I really liked this.

HYPOTHETICAL WINNER: romdrums. I did not have fun with Laster

---

MATCH 2: SACUL VS. LONESTAR

Sacul: Have A Nice Life - Bloodhail

Super Sacul music. Very chill but I'm struggling to put a genre to this kind of music so it's weird. Has a pleasant vibe but paints a dirty (not lewd) image in my head

lonestar: Absolute Priority - Fear of the Night
5. I can tell these guys want to be another band very very much but I can dig it

These guys totally want to be Queensryche. They're close. I don't think the hook is strong enough to support a 7 and a half minute song but the solos are good and the singer does a good imitation of Geoff Tate.

HYPOTHETICAL WINNER: Sacul's got it in this matchup. Bloodhail's vibe is much more pleasant to me, even if for whatever reason it makes me think of grimy 1990s city streets

---

MATCH 3: HOME VS. TAC

home: Frank Ocean - Self Control

3. Some of the singing was questionable at first but I dug this in a big way when it wrapped; they dropped the beat and never picked it back up

Yeah some of the higher vocal parts wqere a turnoff at first but I came around after a while. Still not crazy about them but otherwise this is a really nice song. I was expecting slick beats and huge hooks but it's not that at all. It's a very chill song which I appreciate. I'm trying to listen to more popular artists like Frank Ocean so it's cool to hear something unexpected like this

TAC: Blondie - Contact in Red Square
7. Oh shit... this sucks

I don't like this woman's voice at all and this band has a weird plucky energy that doesn't vibe with me. No me gusta.

HYPOTHETICAL WINNER: the blondie, home, made contact with TAC in Red Square and, losing all self control, obliterated him into Frank's ocean.

---

MATCH 4: ARIICH VS. STADLER

ariich: Nested Shapes/Ihlo - Reanimate (Nested Shapes Remix)

8. A lovely interpretation

This is good. Really good. I dig the hell out of that Ihlo record, but I think I like this remix of Reanimate more than the original version. Makes me want more remixes of prog metal stuff in this vein.

Stadler: Supertramp - Child of Vision
4. A slam dunk demonstration of understanding what tickles my fancy - was this a fluke or a preview of what's to come?

HYPOTHETICAL WINNER: I really liked ariich's submission. I LOVED Stadler's.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Kattelox's 3.5 KISS Tournament Roulette - FREEBIE ROUND RESULTS PT. 1
« Reply #183 on: February 20, 2020, 08:35:41 AM »
to be clear, that gojira song is from 2005, before leprous were even a thing  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #184 on: February 20, 2020, 08:36:47 AM »
I'll send tonight after work!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #185 on: February 20, 2020, 08:39:44 AM »
You don't like Laster? What a surprise :omg: (they're really good though) :metal :corn :yarr
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: February 20, 2020, 08:41:06 AM »
looking forward to your reaction video to a novelist, anyways

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #187 on: February 20, 2020, 09:00:54 AM »
Well shit, there goes my chance of actually sending a Have a Nice Life track (probably Bloodhail too) in the main roulette.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kattelox's 3.5 KISS Tournament Roulette - FREEBIE ROUND RESULTS PT. 2
« Reply #188 on: February 20, 2020, 09:10:44 AM »
Part 2
---

MATCH 5: NEKOV VS. TOMISLAV95

Nekov: Lazerhawk - Feel the Rush Tonight

14. Appreciating the collaboration with a recent favorite discovery. This is just right for chilling out

Ohhh yeah. Gunship was probably my favorite discovery of my last roulette, at least in the running. Synthwave is a genre I do not mind slower/mid-tempo music. In metal it's usually a recipe for boredom but it's the exact opposite case here. Me gusta mucho. Shiny music.

Tomislav95: Love - Alone Again Or
11. It's funny how much one instrument can turn a song around

I love the trumpet here, it's the secret sauce that turns it from just another soft-rock/Simon & Garfunkel-type lalala song into this interesting, flavorful western-tinged jaunt. Compared to a lot of stuff in this round this is refreshingly simple and easily memorable.

HYPOTHETICAL WINNER: It's close. Really close. But I gotta go with Nekov and Lazerhawk. The vibe of Love's song is pleasant, but Lazerhawk is the kind of music I can see myself playing repeatedly.

---

MATCH 6: ELITE VS. JINGLE.BOY

Elite: Mr. Bungle - Desert Search for Techno Allah

12. *blinks in what*

Oh man, yeah... this is weird. So, as a novelty listen it's pretty cool and engaging because it keeps switching up, but I think that's the exact reason I would never be able to listen to a whole album of this or play this stuff often. It relentlessly shifts gears and transforms into something else, which is admirable, but it's a bit much for me. Love the way it comes together at the end, though.

jingle.boy: Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Two Tribes
13. The music video for this song is a montage of some dude with a bad mustache in the 80s doing coke in the gym bathroom between sets. This is a very fun song

This song made me laugh the first time I heard it. It just sounds so over-the-top and like it was made for an 80s action montage or the colorful scene I painted above. But it's actually catchy and has big energy. It's unabashedly 80s and I kind of love that.

HYPOTHETICAL WINNER: As corny as jingle's song is, it is at least memorable with a consistent structure. Elite's song is cool from an artistic perspective, but not as fun to listen to.

---

MATCH 7: CYRIL VS. TRAIN OF NAUGHT

Cyril: A Novelist - Caveat Lector

Damn it. I don't like this vocalist's style of harsh vocals and that kind of kills the song for me tbh. I think I would like it otherwise because there is some cool guitar stuff in there

Train of Naught: White Ward - Love Exchange Failure

I played this right after Supertramp, so the first 3.5 minutes, I was all like, Yes! YES!... then it got super heavy and I found myself looking at the runtime several times as we ran over the 10 minute mark, eventually ending at 12. I am all about the first 3.5 minutes, and some of the heaviness is nice, but almost 9 solid minutes of it almost broke me.

HYPOTHETICAL WINNER: Train by virtue of having the equivalent of half the duration of Cyril's song's worth of dope music.

---

MATCH 8: KINGSHMEGLAND VS. BUDDYHUNTER1

kingshmegland: The Rembrandts - Waiting to be Opened

9. A pleasant song - but if this were for real, your competition would have crushed this

Yeah, this is a nice song. I like it! It's fun and hooky and inoffensive, and it was particularly good to play on the road out in the country. However...

Buddyhunter1: Lena Raine/in love with a ghost - Golden Ridge (Golden Feather Mix)
1. The sonic texture of this piece is absolutely delightful

Most chiptune music I've heard desperately wants to be the MegaMan 2 soundtrack. This is refreshing and channels the vibe of one of my favorite electronic songs (Sapient Dream by Slushii). One of these days I'll play Celeste. I love a good video game soundtrack but I'm really picky, and fortunately I love everything about this.

HYPOTHETICAL WINNER: Buddy. That shit is silky smoov.

---

All right fellas, time to get serious - send for round 2 and make any adjustments as needed, next round 8 of you are unceremoniously getting the BOOT :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #189 on: February 20, 2020, 09:13:22 AM »
the funny thing about that song in celeste is that it's for the first b-side that's really just. absolutely out for your blood, trying to kick your butt into next week

also yeah about what i expected, hence why i don't plan to send anything like it for the rest of the roulette  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: February 20, 2020, 09:14:18 AM »
My original result writeup was just, "This isn't synthwave???" but I wanted to be more thoughtful  :lol

I had no idea that Gojira song was from 2005. I think the first time I listened to them was in 07.  :rollin

Also nothing is banned from this round but use your best judgment, just sayin' :neverusethis:

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #191 on: February 20, 2020, 09:14:34 AM »
Hell yeah incredibly mediocre review but hypothetical win by default :metal

But I'm not gonna lie I had half a mind using White Ward at some point so I'm happy I used it in this round, now time for something 'safer'
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Pretty decent haha! It's really worth checking out the album I'd say  :angel:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Pretty decent haha! It's really worth checking out the album I'd say  :angel:

I've got it on my radar now  :hat

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice! I'll send shortly

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Sent for Round 1.

RJ with his  'big gun' right in MJ's 'wheelhouse':

Tim: "what's that?"
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Btw the round 1 song i sent you originally is still my round 1 song now

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #198 on: February 20, 2020, 10:38:28 AM »
Well shit, there goes my chance of actually sending a Have a Nice Life track (probably Bloodhail too) in the main roulette.
Well you can still send something else by them :P. Just wanted to see if Katt would like some sad music.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #199 on: February 20, 2020, 10:41:25 AM »
the funny thing about that song in celeste is that it's for the first b-side that's really just. absolutely out for your blood, trying to kick your butt into next week

Celeste's Music:

Celeste's Gameplay:

Glad you liked it so much! Need to think a bit about what to send for Round 1, but it will probably be a BANGER
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
So, I was looking at that long ass roulette I was robbed off to check if I had sent some bands and saw this comment

Final Thoughts: You consistently held the first place spot for most of this roulette, and I was sure you were going to hang onto it even at the end. You also were the only one to get me to listen to a full album in the middle of the roulette with fox capture plan. It seems like almost all of your songs came out of left field from artists I've never read about anywhere online, and yet they impressed the hell out of me, so I'm really glad you played in this. You expanded my electronic music knowledge a lot with a bunch of songs that I love. You'll get partial immunity if I run another roulette.

#1 favorite submission: fox capture plan - Asian Dancer

Just thought it would be relevant  ;D

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
I can't help but notice you don't have any Ulver albums on RYM yet they were in your banlist from your previous roulette... how much of their stuff are you familiar with?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Unfortunately, I think I made mention of that in my last one that I don't think you participated in unfortunately, and before this one started I clarified to Sacul that it's a clean slate now  :lol

That said Nekov is one of only two people to get me to drop the roulette playlist to go check out an artist's full album, the other being Cyril with Gunship's Dark All Day. That's pretty f'ing good.

Ulver: very very little. I banned them from the last one because the couple of songs I had heard were pretty good and I made note to check out those albums later. Ulvsblakk and Eos are what I know. Eos especially is amazing.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 11:19:15 AM by Kattelox »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Can I send Dark All Day in this roulette since the last one doesn't count

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
:getoffmylawn:

Anyways, sent

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Sure, send it with your submission :neverusethis:

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Never thought I'd see Frankie Goes To Hollywood in a roulette here on DTF. And see it winning, even if hypothetically.  :D

Good one jingle.  :metal :metal :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Sure, send it with your submission :neverusethis:
Done

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Sent!

Offline romdrums

Round One 4 Realz submission sent for real.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.