Author Topic: Valentine's Day  (Read 3056 times)

Offline DTinTX

Valentine's Day
« on: February 13, 2020, 07:57:17 PM »
Ah yes… Valentine’s Day is tomorrow.  I hope you guys have your affairs in order with that special lady.  Do you have the flowers scheduled for delivery to her office?  Trust me, sending them anywhere else but to her place of employment is no bueno!  They’ll be in dead and in the trash by Tuesday, but who cares it’s just money.  Bonus points if they come with a box of chocolates.  And don’t forget to stop by Jared’s on your way home and drop another $300 to make her feel special.  Of course she’s going to need dinner and drinks to top it all off!  Do I sound like I hate Valentine’s Day?  Yeah I do… and tomorrow makes being single all worthwhile.  Seriously though I wish all of you attached guys the best of luck tomorrow! 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Valentine's Day
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 08:20:50 PM »
My wife works where my daughter goes to school, so when I drop her off I hand-deliver her gift/flowers to her classroom, which 1) saves me from paying a delivery charge. and 2) makes me look awesome.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 08:25:40 PM »
Happily single at the moment, but my go to move instead of Flowers/chocolate was I would make a nice dinner. Usually worked out pretty well.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 08:47:26 PM »
I’m lucky my partner isn’t into any of those (traditional) things. We only celebrate one way...if you know what I mean  :o :P

Though I did convince her for us to make our own chocolate. We got all the ingredients ready.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 09:46:27 PM »
Incorporate the chocolate in to your "celebration."

And if you want to go full Costanza, watch some NBA while celebrating!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 10:03:37 PM »
Well I'm single...but tomorrow isn't about me at all.

Tomorrow my parents will be celebrating 60 years of marriage. No that's not a typo either. They were married 2/14/60. We set them up with a nice trip through the wine country and a VIP tasting at Dunn Vineyards (Dunn is our family's surname, as well as being one of the best vineyards for hardy Cabs in the Napa Valley). Afterwards is a lunch and whatever suites their moods. Next Saturday is the big party, where family will be coming from all over the country to help celebrate this momentous milestone. We even managed to score some A5 Miyazaki Wagyu beef for it at a mere $140/lb.

I swear, they're more in love today than I think I've ever seen them, and words fail to truly describe what this means to me. Here's some then and now pics for y'all....

There wedding day...

And last fall on vacation near Kingshmegland country...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 01:13:13 AM »
RJ, that's awesome. :tup

My grandparents celebrated 55 years of their marriage yesterday. Hopefully they'll make it to 60.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 02:21:59 AM »
That's great lonestar!  :tup

I think the idea to standardize and conform love is lame. I'm happy for my cousin, a florist, that makes a lot of money this day, but each couple has their own story, their own approach to each other, their own personalities, so the idea that everyone on the same day has to make this "spontaneous" romantic gesture is kinda silly. Celebrate or not based on whatever the hell you feel like doing (or not doing), not because society asks it.

It's also annoying to see on social media those "Hey hey look at us, we're a happy couple" or "Look, someone loves me, please validate me!" kind of posts. Strong couples don't need to show off their love like it's a competition.

As for me, tonight I'm celebrating my love for music, I'm gonna see Rage (heavy metal kickass german band) live  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 03:35:41 AM »
Honestly it's a pretty depressing day for us people who are single year after year. I always try to stay away from social media on this day, to stop being constantly reminded of it.

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade though, I hope you have a great day with your loved ones. I'll just wait for this to blow over  ;D
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 04:39:42 AM »
I’m lucky my partner isn’t into any of those (traditional) things.

I'm on the same boat. I did get her a present, but we don't go out or send flowers and what not. We are going to have a nice dinner at home with some sparkling wine and probably watch a movie or something.

Dude, you look just like your mother!!!!

Honestly it's a pretty depressing day for us people who are single year after year. I always try to stay away from social media on this day, to stop being constantly reminded of it.

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade though, I hope you have a great day with your loved ones. I'll just wait for this to blow over  ;D

Why do you care? You have the best couch :zydar: :zydarscouch:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 05:05:33 AM »
Ah yes… Valentine’s Day is tomorrow.  I hope you guys have your affairs in order with that special lady.  Do you have the flowers scheduled for delivery to her office?  Trust me, sending them anywhere else but to her place of employment is no bueno!  They’ll be in dead and in the trash by Tuesday, but who cares it’s just money.  Bonus points if they come with a box of chocolates.  And don’t forget to stop by Jared’s on your way home and drop another $300 to make her feel special.  Of course she’s going to need dinner and drinks to top it all off!  Do I sound like I hate Valentine’s Day?  Yeah I do… and tomorrow makes being single all worthwhile.  Seriously though I wish all of you attached guys the best of luck tomorrow!

I did nothing, absolutely nothing.  Misses brought me a protein bar when she went to the shops.  Day over, that's it.  I buy her stuff all the time and anything she wants at anytime of the year.  We don't need a fabricated day to show each other how we feel.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 05:11:32 AM »
Yo, RJ. Where'd you find A5?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 05:35:58 AM »
Yo, RJ. Where'd you find A5?

My brother scored it through his meat purveyor (he's a chef as well), but if you're interested, check out Crowd Cow, they usually have it available... https://www.crowdcow.com

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 05:38:24 AM »

Tomorrow my parents will be celebrating 60 years of marriage. No that's not a typo either. They were married 2/14/60. We set them up with a nice trip through the wine country and a VIP tasting at Dunn Vineyards (Dunn is our family's surname, as well as being one of the best vineyards for hardy Cabs in the Napa Valley). Afterwards is a lunch and whatever suites their moods. Next Saturday is the big party, where family will be coming from all over the country to help celebrate this momentous milestone. We even managed to score some A5 Miyazaki Wagyu beef for it at a mere $140/lb.

I swear, they're more in love today than I think I've ever seen them, and words fail to truly describe what this means to me. Here's some then and now pics for y'all....

There wedding day...

That is awesome, Congrats to them!

I keep it pretty basic, after 33 years of marriage and over 40 together (since we were high school juniors, 1979), I don't need to impress her anymore, just appreciate her.

I used to get cheap roses at Costco, but now, if you're a Prime member, you can go to Whole Foods and get two dozen for $19.99, and a half dozen chocolate covered strawberries for $8.99 (normally $12.99).

Yes, we are going out for a nice dinner tonight, but that's because I like to eat. I'll let her keep thinking it's for Valentine's Day.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 06:17:05 AM »
We rarely do much for Valentine's Day. It's never been a big deal for either of us thankfully. I'll get her a card and a treat of some kind, there's be some bedroom action later, and that's about it.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2020, 07:56:18 AM »

There wedding day...

this is great.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2020, 07:58:37 AM »
this was on the kitchen counter when I got up this morning...

true love indeed.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2020, 09:55:52 AM »
What a truly bizarre thing to start a thread about.

I've been married nearly 25 years.  My wife and I haven't done anything for Valentine's Day in well over a decade.  Both of our birthdays are in October (4 days apart), then we have Christmas, and then our anniversary is in mid-January.  After that, we've had about enough of this stuff.  Even when we did gifts, she always disliked it as nothing more than a creation of the Hallmark Company, and I only did it because of was socially mandated.

To those who do observe/celebrate, enjoy yourselves!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2020, 10:09:22 AM »
My parents are at 55 and going strong.  Other than bathroom, doctor’s appointments, and mom’s swimming, they literally spend every minute of every day together.   I can’t even stand myself that much.   Haha. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2020, 10:16:26 AM »
My parents are at 55 and going strong.  Other than bathroom, doctor’s appointments, and mom’s swimming, they literally spend every minute of every day together.   I can’t even stand myself that much.   Haha.

That's my parents pretty much. Mom swims, dad golf's (missed shooting his age by one stroke last week  :omg:), but yeah, they're constantly together. Loving touches all the time, mom gives him incessant shit which is fucking hysterical. I'm just in awe, and so blessed they're mine.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2020, 02:30:41 PM »
I don't celebrate Valentine's Day but hope everyone has a nice one.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline DTinTX

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2020, 05:00:32 PM »

How so?

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2020, 05:18:24 PM »

There wedding day...

This was a really beautiful and heart-warming post. I hope my wife and I (married 6 and a half years) make it that long.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2020, 05:47:06 PM »
Thanks man...I think they have a  pretty good shot at 70 years as well. They're both in excellent health, and there's pretty good longevity on both sides, and with my dad at 78 and my mom at 75, its not even hard to imagine.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2020, 06:03:12 PM »
That's awesome, RJ.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2020, 06:13:18 PM »
That's awesome, RJ.

Yeah, this!

I love looking at the old pictures. They look so young.

You father looks great for 78.

My parents celebrated 52 years in December. They're both 73.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2020, 03:29:50 AM »

How so?

Maybe because we are on a prog metal band internet forum?

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2020, 05:02:36 AM »
I buy her stuff all the time and anything she wants at anytime of the year.  We don't need a fabricated day to show each other how we feel.

Ditto here... but I did the needful and bought some flowers and chocolates.  $35 down the drain, but it's worth just to avoid the potential of an (illogically so) pissed off wife.  Especially since it would be one of those I'm-not-gonna-tell-you-why-I'm-pissed situations.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DTinTX

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2020, 08:55:36 AM »

How so?

Maybe because we are on a prog metal band internet forum?

Oh I thought I was in a "Discuss anything (within the rules, of course) that doesn't fit anywhere else" forum.  Next time I'll be sure and title my thread "The Official I Hate Valentine's Day" thread.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2020, 12:46:31 PM »
A couple of days late on this, but it felt nice to be able to celebrate Valentine’s Day again. Last year I spent the 14th drunk in a bar with my ex’s friends. This year I got to spend it with a girl who I love more than I thought I was capable of loving anyone. We went to an amazing Italian restaurant in Manhattan, then saw Frozen on Broadway, then got cupcakes at a place called Baked by Melissa which specializes in miniature cupcakes. It was an amazing night. I had grown jaded towards the holiday over the course of my last relationship and began to lump it in with the other “Hallmark holidays” but a couple of years later and being in a healthy relationship has actually made me enjoy the holiday again.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2020, 03:02:55 PM »
I buy her stuff all the time and anything she wants at anytime of the year.  We don't need a fabricated day to show each other how we feel.

Ditto here... but I did the needful and bought some flowers and chocolates.  $35 down the drain, but it's worth just to avoid the potential of an (illogically so) pissed off wife.  Especially since it would be one of those I'm-not-gonna-tell-you-why-I'm-pissed situations.

This made me laugh.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2020, 04:08:19 PM »

How so?

Given that this is the "general discussion" board, it's not, as wolfking suggested, because this is a prog metal forum.  To express such a degree of bitterness about a "holiday" in which you have no personal stake strikes me as odd.  Simple as that.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2020, 07:21:40 PM »

How so?

Given that this is the "general discussion" board, it's not, as wolfking suggested, because this is a prog metal forum.  To express such a degree of bitterness about a "holiday" in which you have no personal stake strikes me as odd.  Simple as that.

You're right, I just read the OP properly.  Fucking bizarre indeed.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2020, 07:25:20 PM »
and tomorrow makes being single all worthwhile.

Now this is a bizarre statement.  You're single by choice?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2020, 07:33:40 PM »
A couple of days late on this, but it felt nice to be able to celebrate Valentine’s Day again. Last year I spent the 14th drunk in a bar with my ex’s friends. This year I got to spend it with a girl who I love more than I thought I was capable of loving anyone. We went to an amazing Italian restaurant in Manhattan, then saw Frozen on Broadway, then got cupcakes at a place called Baked by Melissa which specializes in miniature cupcakes. It was an amazing night. I had grown jaded towards the holiday over the course of my last relationship and began to lump it in with the other “Hallmark holidays” but a couple of years later and being in a healthy relationship has actually made me enjoy the holiday again.

Share the restaurant?  My last trip to the City, I had two Italian meals that were to write home about.  Benito One was the first, and I can't remember the second.