Author Topic: Valentine's Day  (Read 3057 times)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: Valentine's Day
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2020, 10:59:51 PM »
A couple of days late on this, but it felt nice to be able to celebrate Valentine’s Day again. Last year I spent the 14th drunk in a bar with my ex’s friends. This year I got to spend it with a girl who I love more than I thought I was capable of loving anyone. We went to an amazing Italian restaurant in Manhattan, then saw Frozen on Broadway, then got cupcakes at a place called Baked by Melissa which specializes in miniature cupcakes. It was an amazing night. I had grown jaded towards the holiday over the course of my last relationship and began to lump it in with the other “Hallmark holidays” but a couple of years later and being in a healthy relationship has actually made me enjoy the holiday again.

Share the restaurant?  My last trip to the City, I had two Italian meals that were to write home about.  Benito One was the first, and I can't remember the second.

Il Forno. If you know your way around the city, it’s on 8th Ave.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2020, 12:47:58 AM »
Italian-managed I guess? Il Forno means The Oven...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DTinTX

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2020, 09:36:57 AM »
What a truly bizarre thing to start a thread about.

How so?

Given that this is the "general discussion" board, it's not, as wolfking suggested, because this is a prog metal forum.  To express such a degree of bitterness about a "holiday" in which you have no personal stake strikes me as odd.  Simple as that.

You're right, I just read the OP properly.  Fucking bizarre indeed.

What's really bizarre here is you guys attacking a simple thread about the financial pressures a lot of guys feel on Valentine's Day.  Now, if you'll excuse me I need to go vote in the "Which Sound is Worse: A Burp or a Fart?" thread.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2020, 02:20:12 PM »
What a truly bizarre thing to start a thread about.

How so?

Given that this is the "general discussion" board, it's not, as wolfking suggested, because this is a prog metal forum.  To express such a degree of bitterness about a "holiday" in which you have no personal stake strikes me as odd.  Simple as that.

You're right, I just read the OP properly.  Fucking bizarre indeed.

What's really bizarre here is you guys attacking a simple thread about the financial pressures a lot of guys feel on Valentine's Day.  Now, if you'll excuse me I need to go vote in the "Which Sound is Worse: A Burp or a Fart?" thread.

We are just questioning your motives behind it when you make it clear you don't like it and that the day 'makes being single all worthwhile.'  Apologies for the tones.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2020, 01:38:08 AM »
Had to share...we had the big party tonight for my parents 60th, and this pic might be the most adorable and awesome ever...

When it comes to relationship goals, this should be filed under every couple's no. 1....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2020, 07:52:07 AM »
A couple of days late on this, but it felt nice to be able to celebrate Valentine’s Day again. Last year I spent the 14th drunk in a bar with my ex’s friends. This year I got to spend it with a girl who I love more than I thought I was capable of loving anyone. We went to an amazing Italian restaurant in Manhattan, then saw Frozen on Broadway, then got cupcakes at a place called Baked by Melissa which specializes in miniature cupcakes. It was an amazing night. I had grown jaded towards the holiday over the course of my last relationship and began to lump it in with the other “Hallmark holidays” but a couple of years later and being in a healthy relationship has actually made me enjoy the holiday again.

Share the restaurant?  My last trip to the City, I had two Italian meals that were to write home about.  Benito One was the first, and I can't remember the second.

I'm pretty sure I've been there. Just west of Times Square, no?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2020, 07:52:53 AM »

Correct.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2020, 08:00:52 AM »

Correct.

If you want to try another (really good, IMO) Italian restaurant in the same area, try Trattoria Trecolori on 47th between 8th and 7th ave.

Also, That's a great picture Lonestar

Had to share...we had the big party tonight for my parents 60th, and this pic might be the most adorable and awesome ever...

When it comes to relationship goals, this should be filed under every couple's no. 1....
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2020, 08:21:17 AM »

If you want to try another (really good, IMO) Italian restaurant in the same area, try Trattoria Trecolori on 47th between 8th and 7th ave.

That's not the place that Billy Joel had in mind when he wrote the bookends for "Scenes..." is it?  I just remember it was loosely inspired by a place over near 7th/8th that the band would go to, but I can't remember if it was down by the studio they used - 52nd Street - or up by Carnegie Hall, which is probably ten blocks further up. 

Also, That's a great picture Lonestar

It is; I feel bad now for not saying that (though it goes without saying!).

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2020, 12:59:03 PM »
I think the restaurant from "Scenes" is/used to be located by Carnegie Hall.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk