Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 112830 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Playoffs ready to rock (with no Giants)
« Reply #1785 on: January 11, 2021, 09:52:29 AM »
I read an article earlier in the day that was published right after the Browns beat the Bengals, and it characterized Mayfield as a "high level game manager", as if it was an insult.     

That's what he did last night; made plays when he had to, controlled the football when he didn't.  I would have preferred a couple of those 3-and-outs to have lasted more than a minute and a half - that would have gone a long way to keeping the game out of reach - but still, he played a strong game.  ESPECIALLY considering, as he said in his post-game interview, he had to introduce myself to this dude "Blake" before the game, and he ended up in the huddle in the 4th quarter.  :)

They will be written off before next week, and I get that (I'm not picking them, myself) but IF there's an "anything can happen" scenario next week, this might be it.   Don't count out Stefanski; he's done a world class job of not just coaching, but MANAGING this team emotionally and psychologically. He's got these kids BELIEVING.

Stefanski is 38 and their GM Andrew Berry is 33.  If they can keep this up, they will be in Cleveland for a long time.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1786 on: January 11, 2021, 10:02:35 AM »
I feel like a successful Browns team messes up the sports cosmos. Things just should not happen in the sports world, lest we risk upsetting the Gods, like the 2004 Red Sox or the 2016 Cubs.

I’m not even a Cubs fan, but that final double play still gives me chills.

???  When Bryant struck out and Dexter Fowler got caught stealing in the top of the 7th of game 7?  Or did you mean the final out of the game (which was just a ground out to Bryant)?

LET’S GO BROWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The last time they won a playoff game, I was a senior in high school.

Even crazier, the last time they won a playoff game, Bill Belichick was the head coach (and the opponent was the Bill Parcells coached Patriots)!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1787 on: January 11, 2021, 10:30:31 AM »
Some pretty crazy results this weekend.  I'll just leave it at that. 

Regarding the Colts/Bills catch/fumble call, yeah, I went through the same thought process in real time as what the final result came out to be:  Probably the wrong call on the field.  And no angle showed conclusive evidence to overturn it.  You just couldn't tell definitively whether or not he was touched when he was going down to the ground.  I think most people looking at it would say that, in all likelihood, he wasn't, so he wasn't down.  But "in all likelihood" is not the standard for overturning the call.  So the result HAD TO be upholding the call made on the field, whether it was wrong or not.  Likewise, had the initial call on the field been the opposite, I am pretty confident that THAT call would have been upheld as well.  It's just "one of those things."  It is unfortunate, and replay has helped eliminate a lot of error by allowing close calls to be reviewed.  But there isn't a perfect system that will result in the "correct" call 100% of the time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1788 on: January 11, 2021, 11:19:37 AM »
Typical Tomlin clown show. Aside from the picks, 2 of which were batted balls and just bad luck, the vaunted Steelers' D had 0 sacks and 0 turnovers again. So what's the difference between Brady falling behind 28-3 and Ben falling behind 28-0? Brady's D will get all the necessary stops and turnovers to win while the Steelers' D will continue to bleed. The Steelers defense over the last 3 playoff games has given up 36, 45, 48 points. Also Tomlin with one of the most egregiously cowardly punts on record, along with Vrabel yesterday.

The other games seemed to go pretty much as expected, except the Colts win that game if everything hadn't bounced the Bills' way. Brady looked really good and that should be a hell of a rematch in New Orleans.

One thing I think that has become apparent this year is that the teams who have built the strongest pass rushes (Pittsburgh, Washington) get screwed because ref no longer call offensive holding. Sucks when a major strength of your team that has taken hard work to build gets taken away.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1789 on: January 11, 2021, 11:29:48 AM »
Some pretty crazy results this weekend.  I'll just leave it at that. 

Regarding the Colts/Bills catch/fumble call, yeah, I went through the same thought process in real time as what the final result came out to be:  Probably the wrong call on the field.  And no angle showed conclusive evidence to overturn it.  You just couldn't tell definitively whether or not he was touched when he was going down to the ground.  I think most people looking at it would say that, in all likelihood, he wasn't, so he wasn't down.  But "in all likelihood" is not the standard for overturning the call.  So the result HAD TO be upholding the call made on the field, whether it was wrong or not.  Likewise, had the initial call on the field been the opposite, I am pretty confident that THAT call would have been upheld as well.  It's just "one of those things."  It is unfortunate, and replay has helped eliminate a lot of error by allowing close calls to be reviewed.  But there isn't a perfect system that will result in the "correct" call 100% of the time.

We'd need Super-Ultra-Max-Power Zoom for that accuracy.  :lol

I posted on Facebook, since the browns were in the playoffs..."What would happen if the Browns win the Superbowl?"....It's looking more like it, and if they beat KC...I expect all of Cleveland to be like the opening to The Drew Carey Show...

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1790 on: January 11, 2021, 12:09:00 PM »
Typical Tomlin clown show. Aside from the picks, 2 of which were batted balls and just bad luck, the vaunted Steelers' D had 0 sacks and 0 turnovers again. So what's the difference between Brady falling behind 28-3 and Ben falling behind 28-0? Brady's D will get all the necessary stops and turnovers to win while the Steelers' D will continue to bleed. The Steelers defense over the last 3 playoff games has given up 36, 45, 48 points. Also Tomlin with one of the most egregiously cowardly punts on record, along with Vrabel yesterday.

The other games seemed to go pretty much as expected, except the Colts win that game if everything hadn't bounced the Bills' way. Brady looked really good and that should be a hell of a rematch in New Orleans.

One thing I think that has become apparent this year is that the teams who have built the strongest pass rushes (Pittsburgh, Washington) get screwed because ref no longer call offensive holding. Sucks when a major strength of your team that has taken hard work to build gets taken away.

That and I have to believe that some defensive lineman are thinking of NOT taking the penalty for putting a hit on the QB in certain circumstances.  That's probably a lesser factor than the holding, but still.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1791 on: January 11, 2021, 03:43:56 PM »
Wouldn't surprise me if officials were told to be a little more lenient with what they allow in regards to holding on the offensive line and whatnot.  Ratings are down across the board in sports, and the NFL knows that offense is what the casual fan wants, not d-lineman knocking the crap out of star quarterbacks, so little things like that can help offenses, as if they need more help in 2021's NFL.  :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1792 on: January 11, 2021, 04:51:33 PM »
Btw, why aren't we hearing an outcry about Lamar Jackson not shaking hands after the game?  So The Titans players were on the Ravens logo their regular season meeting this year.

I call shenanigans.   I know people will say Brady does that in losses but it shouldn't matter.

Me personally, it doesn't bother me at all that they don't shake. Drama is good for sports.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1793 on: January 11, 2021, 05:52:40 PM »
Btw, why aren't we hearing an outcry about Lamar Jackson not shaking hands after the game?  So The Titans players were on the Ravens logo their regular season meeting this year.

I call shenanigans.   I know people will say Brady does that in losses but it shouldn't matter.

Me personally, it doesn't bother me at all that they don't shake. Drama is good for sports.

I don't know that Ben did either last night.   Unless he went out and then came back, they showed him just sitting on the bench forlorn (struck me that there was some wistfulness in his eyes, like "this is the last time I will....")

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1794 on: January 11, 2021, 05:56:09 PM »
I'm just stirring the pot. People get so touchy these days about the hand shaking.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1795 on: January 11, 2021, 06:06:28 PM »
Loser coach is a loser. He'll never amount t anything.

Recently, I was offered the opportunity to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom, which I was flattered by out of respect for what the honor represents and admiration for prior recipients. Subsequently, the tragic events of last week occurred and the decision has been made not to move forward with the award.  Above all, I am an American citizen with great reverence for our nation’s values, freedom and democracy. I know I also represent my family and the New England Patriots team. One of the most rewarding things in my professional career took place in 2020 when, through the great leadership within our team, conversations about social justice, equality and human rights moved to the forefront and became actions. Continuing those efforts while remaining true to the people, team and county I love outweigh the benefits of any individual award.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1796 on: January 11, 2021, 06:11:40 PM »

My read regarding Jackson:  he didn't want a melee to break out afterwards. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 08:40:31 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1797 on: January 11, 2021, 06:15:57 PM »
Speaking of Brady not shaking hands with people after a game, I watched past the end of the game on Saturday night looking to see TB12 and Taylor Heinicke meet up. Brady kind of snubbed him, I thought. You'd think that TB12 would appreciate the kid's effort under the circumstances, but he never sought him out, he met up with plenty of other WTF players, and when the kid finally tapped him on the should after respectfully following him for 20 yards he pretty much got a "good game," a peremptory handshake, and Brady's back. I don't think a little encouragement, or even respect for a hard fought game would have been too much to muster up.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1798 on: January 11, 2021, 06:16:55 PM »
I would have loved that.  Lol

El Barto, I couldn't stay up to the end. Old bastard. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1799 on: January 11, 2021, 11:27:50 PM »

Recently, I was offered the opportunity to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom, which I was flattered by out of respect for what the honor represents and admiration for prior recipients. Subsequently, the tragic events of last week occurred and the decision has been made not to move forward with the award.  Above all, I am an American citizen with great reverence for our nation’s values, freedom and democracy. I know I also represent my family and the New England Patriots team. One of the most rewarding things in my professional career took place in 2020 when, through the great leadership within our team, conversations about social justice, equality and human rights moved to the forefront and became actions. Continuing those efforts while remaining true to the people, team and county I love outweigh the benefits of any individual award.

My respect for Belichick just went up. Whether you agree with this or not, turning down a prestigious award like that for the reasons he gave is extremely selfless.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1800 on: January 12, 2021, 06:49:09 AM »

My respect for Belichick just went up. Whether you agree with this or not, turning down a prestigious award like that for the reasons he gave is extremely selfless.
I don't think selfless is the right word. His image with fans and his players will be better by turning this down than accepting it. But I agree it was the right decision. Biden should do the same thing for him.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1801 on: January 12, 2021, 07:32:09 AM »

I don't think selfless is the right word. His image with fans and his players will be better by turning this down than accepting it. But I agree it was the right decision. Biden should do the same thing for him.

I'm glad he did for different reasons; as much as I love Bill Belichick, I'm not sure a football coach is at the level of Mother Teresa and Rosa Parks in terms of contributions to this country.   Though, I suppose neither are Oprah Winfrey or Mariano Rivera.   But this was his only option.  There was no choice here, and although it serves the narrative (Fuck this guy!) in my perfect world, I'd rather not pretend there was.   

That was my first thought, though: Biden should bestow the honor.  But after thinking about it more, honestly, that's not an answer either; if Belichick really is interested in "continuing those efforts while remaining true to the people, team and county I love", then does it matter who gives it to him?  I'm not interested in the narrative, see above, so I get no pleasure out of that aspect.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1802 on: January 12, 2021, 12:51:25 PM »
What do we think the likelihood is of the four old QB's playing 2021?

Brady is obviously a cyborg, so he should have another good 10-15 years.

I don't see any way that Brees comes back.

I would have leaned towards Roethlisberger coming back for sure, but not so sure now.  I could see a scenario where he wants to come back, but the Steelers gently tell him they are going to cut him (not sure the salary cap ramifications).

Rivers probably depends on if Indy wants him back.  I think he'd come back if they want him, but if they want to move on, does he go to another team and what will the market be?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1803 on: January 12, 2021, 12:56:22 PM »
His declining the award was the easy thing to do. It's a complete neutral. There's nothing wrong with him doing it and it also merits zero praise because this is the single worst point in the history of the world to have any affiliation with 45 for any reason. I would, however, be tickled pink to see other NFL people who've been vocally supportive of him have to awkwardly say "No comment" when asked by reporters about what they think of his actions pertaining to the insurrection attempt. People like Elway, Brady, and Bob Kraft, for starters.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1804 on: January 12, 2021, 01:10:11 PM »
What do we think the likelihood is of the four old QB's playing 2021?

Brady is obviously a cyborg, so he should have another good 10-15 years.

I don't see any way that Brees comes back.

I would have leaned towards Roethlisberger coming back for sure, but not so sure now.  I could see a scenario where he wants to come back, but the Steelers gently tell him they are going to cut him (not sure the salary cap ramifications).

Rivers probably depends on if Indy wants him back.  I think he'd come back if they want him, but if they want to move on, does he go to another team and what will the market be?

I would love to see Brady have sustained success in Tampa.

I have not been following Brees's situation, so not sure what the likelihood is.  I know he doesn't look right lately, but I know a lot of that has to do with recent injury.  Once he is properly healed up, I think he can still play if he wants to and his team wants him to stay.  I wouldn't want to see him on another team.  And I'm not sure I would still root for the Saints without him (and not sure how successful they will be in the immediate future without him).  But whatev.

Ben is so banged up that I think he physically needs to retire (and that ship sailed a log time ago).  But because he is so banged up, it would not surprise me if he started experiencing ongoing health problems not long after he does retire.

I would also like to see Rivers stay in Indy and have some success there.  Seems more likely than not that they want to part ways.  But maybe they bring in their QB of the future and keep him one more year.  I would kinda like to see that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1805 on: January 12, 2021, 01:27:44 PM »
Brady plays next year.
Brees does not play next year.  You are NOT the father.  :) (Brees - probably my favorite player in the league right now - is on record as saying he plays for the Saints or doesn't play at all; I think he came back as early as he did because he believes this is his last shot; Payton has been classy, but there are signs he thinks the future is in Jameis Winston's hands.  My GOD.)

Ben and Philip are wild cards.

I would have said "Ben plays next year", until I saw him sitting on the bench after the Browns game.  It looked like a man soaking in memories, frankly.  Total guess on my part, but that was the vibe I got.  During the game however, Collinsworth (I think?) said that he felt Ben wanted to return.

Philip?  Who knows. I don't like the guy, so I don't follow him.  But he will find a spot if he wants it.  Uneducated, gut response: he does NOT play next year, but there's nothing behind that but "pure guess".

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1806 on: January 12, 2021, 01:42:04 PM »
Depending on the off season and whether or not they hold the door open, next year would likely be River's best shot at a super bowl. Likewise, if they go all in to win next year, Rivers is likely their best shot at same. I think Indi keeps him around for one more year and he sticks it out for one last shot at a ring.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1807 on: January 12, 2021, 01:51:13 PM »
I wonder if Brady is going to go for George Blanda's record?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1808 on: January 12, 2021, 10:15:09 PM »
I don't think he can kick that well.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1809 on: January 12, 2021, 10:22:34 PM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1810 on: January 12, 2021, 10:41:02 PM »
He should go for Blanda's sideburns. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1811 on: January 13, 2021, 06:26:04 AM »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1812 on: January 14, 2021, 06:57:28 AM »
Go ahead TD drives in 4Q, team still lost game (career)
Drew Brees - 21
Aaron Rodgers - 11
Peyton Manning - 6
Tom Brady - 4

Brees now has as many as Rodgers, Manning and Brady combined

Uh oh, Brees is in trouble this Sunday  :'(.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1813 on: January 14, 2021, 07:11:33 AM »
Here's a fun one - Jeopardy is going to go through guest hosts like Katie Couric and maybe LeVar Burton. One rumored guest host is one Aaron Rodgers. Now that should be interesting.  :corn

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1814 on: January 14, 2021, 07:13:17 AM »
Here's a fun one - Jeopardy is going to go through guest hosts like Katie Couric and maybe LeVar Burton. One rumored guest host is one Aaron Rodgers. Now that should be interesting.  :corn

What is State Farm?
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1815 on: January 14, 2021, 08:26:51 AM »
Go ahead TD drives in 4Q, team still lost game (career)
Drew Brees - 21
Aaron Rodgers - 11
Peyton Manning - 6
Tom Brady - 4

Brees now has as many as Rodgers, Manning and Brady combined

Uh oh, Brees is in trouble this Sunday  :'(.

As a person who has watched almost every Rodgers game I thought that number would have been higher. Packers defense has been below average for most of his career.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1816 on: January 14, 2021, 10:31:07 AM »

It's more than rumored.  Couric and Rodgers are confirmed.  Burton is not.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1817 on: January 14, 2021, 10:36:02 AM »

It's more than rumored.  Couric and Rodgers are confirmed.  Burton is not.

I heard that he was a huge fan of Alex Trebek and Jeopardy and even won when he was on as celebrity Jeopardy. I never knew....

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1818 on: January 14, 2021, 12:35:55 PM »
The majority of NFL QBs have no personality and Rodgers is right up there with the blandest of them.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1819 on: January 14, 2021, 12:52:52 PM »
I think he's got personality. It's just the wrong personality for the gig. Rodgers is smugness personified, and that's the one thing Trebeck always managed to avoid. Actually kind of impressive when you consider that a huge part of his job was telling people "Oh, I'm sorry, in 1927 it was still known as Constantinople." Trebeck always came off as super-sincere, and I think Rodgers would probably seem a bit phony. In fact, I'm really not sure who they could find that can spend all day telling people they're wrong while seeming genuinely apologetic. 
E.F. Benson