Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 118397 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Chiefs give future GOAT big bucks
« Reply #560 on: September 02, 2020, 07:48:27 AM »
I'm here for it. Too many non-POC people get to use sports as an escape from their reality which isn't remotely as stressful as the average POC's reality is. The fact that the majority of the NFL and NBA are people representing those demographics makes it 100% fine imo for them to use their platform as they see fit. Most of the "Life is tough, suck it up, kid.", "Play the hand your dealt.", etc. people will defend the abhorrent business practices of corporate America because "Anyone can make it if they work hard." and act like there's no problem with corporations using leverage to unfair extents yet all of that defense of leverage being an earned thing goes out the window once it's POC turning the tables.

I'm sympathetic to the cause up to a point.  It's statements like that that demark the line for me.  Notwithstanding the "walk a mile in my shoes" concept, the whole underlying premise of tolerance is to understand that for all of us there is struggle of various forms and fashions.   To try to put objective measure on things like that, things that have no real standard of measure, doesn't help the process of understanding.   

As for the rest, well, agree to disagree; that's one way of looking at it, but it just sounds a lot like finger pointing to me.

POC have to fear for their lives EVERY day of their life. It's not even just behind the wheel anymore. They can't even hide in their houses from it since that woman was killed while playing PS4, being shot at numerous times, and don't even get me started on Breonna Taylor. This stuff is happening to POC at an appallingly disproportionate clip compared to non-POCs. There's your "real standard of measure". Ignore it if you wish to.

This has really been bothering me since I read it.  I think this is dangerous thinking that is perpetuating the problem.  Not being critical of YOU personally, but the IDEA.   

The reality is that there are about 55,000,000 encounters with police every year.  If you follow the demographics, that means 7,435,000 are African American.  (If you believe the narrative, that number is low, so we'll stick with it, since it then would be best case as we walk through the math).    Last year, it is reported that 235 African Americans were killed by police.  Many suspect that is low, so if it pleases you, we can double that number, and it will still allow the point as we walk through the math.  Let's use 400 for round numbers.   

If you're an African American, you have a 0.00538% chance of being killed by a cop.   54 out of a 1,000,000.   We've already stated that that number is likely high.  At even 10% higher for the African Americans stopped, we're at 49 out of 1,000,000.  if you use the ratio of deaths (235 out of 1000, or 23.5%; that's 12,925,000 African Americans encountering police), we're at 31 out of 1,000,000.

Compare to this (using 2013 numbers; the article is intended to fact check other misleading stats.  I am taking the CORRECTED numbers from a paragraph about 3/4 of the way down the article):
If you’re a white person in 2013, your chances of being murdered by another white person are approximately 11 in 1,000,000.
Your chances of being murdered by an African American are 2 in 1,000,000. 
If you're a black person in 2013, your chances of being murdered by another black person are 56 in 1,000,000.
Your chances of being murdered by a white person are 5 in 1,000,000.

Now, no question that the death rate for an African American person is higher; if that's the fear, then the numbers certainly justify that.  But I'm not sure why the "systemic racism" of American policing is driving this conversation; an African American is almost TWICE as likely to die by the hand of someone of his own race than that of a cop, and almost TEN TIMES as likely to die by the hand of someone of his own race than that of a white person.  These numbers are appalling, no doubt, but I'm not sure for the reasons stated.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #561 on: September 02, 2020, 10:51:10 AM »
Remember when this thread used to be about NFL football?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: September 02, 2020, 11:51:01 AM »

Remember when the game itself used to be about NFL football.   

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #563 on: September 02, 2020, 12:13:34 PM »

Remember when the game itself used to be about NFL football.
Remember when the players stayed in the locker room for the anthem?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #564 on: September 02, 2020, 12:17:23 PM »
Just replying to Stadler’s great post, this is something all the black celebrities and woke folks are blatantly ignoring as usual.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #565 on: September 02, 2020, 01:26:44 PM »
No statistics will ever justify the manner in which these people are being killed nor the fact that the murders at the most egregious levels are happening almost exclusively to POC. That's what the entire protests are about and no amount of conservative pearl clutching will change that.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: September 02, 2020, 02:18:10 PM »
No statistics will ever justify the manner in which these people are being killed nor the fact that the murders at the most egregious levels are happening almost exclusively to POC. That's what the entire protests are about and no amount of conservative pearl clutching will change that.

And no amount of hyperbole is going to help fix the situation.  The more you exaggerate things - "almost exclusively"?  Not in any definition of the word are these things happening "almost exclusively" to persons of color - the less likely these things are going to actually BE fixed.   You can dismiss "statistics" all you want, but that's where the solution lies, because when YOU dismiss statistics, the people you need to impress dismiss YOU.   

I'm fully on board with the notion that we need to tighten accountability in certain areas.  El Barto likes to point out those occasions where police reports are fabricated or exaggerated, and I couldn't agree more that that should be inexcusable.  Yet I read comments and positions that just ignore the harsh realities that don't play nice with the narrative and I'm out. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #567 on: September 02, 2020, 03:01:07 PM »
"White on white crime" and "black on black crime" aren't really things.  That's just crime.  I have no idea why conservatives use statistics like that and compare against police violence.

Also, you were mentioning deaths at the hands of police.  Death isn't the only negative or violent outcome at the hands of the police.

But all of this should most likely be staying in P/R, not in the NFL thread.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #568 on: September 02, 2020, 05:28:36 PM »
Sanu cut by Belichick.   Once a year I say, "Wow!  He cut him?!"
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #569 on: September 03, 2020, 08:54:37 AM »
Sanu cut by Belichick.   Once a year I say, "Wow!  He cut him?!"
I saw yesterday that he was likely not going to make it. He's essentially the same type of receiver they've already got, but lack all others.

The sad part is that this would be the ultimate year to tank for Trevor Lawrence, but I don't think Bill has it in him. The reality is that the season really won't count for much, and with the better half of his D sitting this one out he could conceivably treat the whole "season" like pre-season. The reality is that Bill's expectations are probably exactly the same this year as they were for any other. You never know, though. If there's one coach in the league that wouldn't be opposed to telling a kicker to shank a FG 20 yards out of bounds it'd be Belichick.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: September 03, 2020, 10:15:41 AM »
The talk on the 2 sports talk stations here is Bill will not tank because that would lead to he needs Brady.  Did you see the new book coming out?  Seems like Kraft was the one that kept the 2 working together because they were both done with each other.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #571 on: September 03, 2020, 11:46:37 AM »
People forget NE still plays in the AFC Least. The best opposing QB in that division is  . . . Josh Allen? Yeah 10 wins is the floor.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #572 on: September 03, 2020, 11:53:49 AM »
The talk on the 2 sports talk stations here is Bill will not tank because that would lead to he needs Brady.  Did you see the new book coming out?  Seems like Kraft was the one that kept the 2 working together because they were both done with each other.
In general I agree with you. However, 2020 presents the perfect opportunity to dispel that. I think it's unlikely anybody takes this year seriously in the long run. As I said a while back, this story is one of the tragedies of this season. I have a vested interest in the Bill v Tom story, and we're not going to see it play out in any meaningful way.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: September 03, 2020, 12:02:23 PM »
I completely agree.  The 6 who dropped out from Covid, the late signing of Cam in this wacky year of Covid and lack of practices and preseason.  Add this receiving/TE crew. 

Dream Team,  I actually think the Bills are better overall and they would be lights out with a real QB. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #574 on: September 03, 2020, 03:13:16 PM »
I completely agree.  The 6 who dropped out from Covid, the late signing of Cam in this wacky year of Covid and lack of practices and preseason.  Add this receiving/TE crew. 

Dream Team,  I actually think the Bills are better overall and they would be lights out with a real QB.

Yeah you’re right. But BB should be able to beat the other 2 a combined 4 times.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: September 03, 2020, 03:39:53 PM »
Still have 8 games in the NFC.  Check out who.  Tough schedule. 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #576 on: September 05, 2020, 08:58:46 AM »
Is the Pick ‘Em pool going to happen this season?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: September 05, 2020, 09:59:35 AM »
Was wondering that myself. EB where are you? If there is interest in a Survivor, I am happy to run that.

I think it's unlikely anybody takes this year seriously in the long run.

While I get throwing a ball around may not be the most important thing on the players' and fans' minds this fall, it would be unfortunate if this were true.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: September 05, 2020, 01:30:20 PM »
Looks like Watson and Allen got PAID!!!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #579 on: September 05, 2020, 03:37:29 PM »
I'll set up the pool. Just been lazy.
E.F. Benson

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #580 on: September 07, 2020, 08:20:59 AM »
I have to admit, I miss the preseason.

I always looked forward to the first three games of the preseason with special emphasis on the 3rd game as  a tuneup for the starters. The 4th game was worthless with a bunch of spare players but I can see the value of playing 3 games. The preseason got me pumped for the real thing and come this Thursday, I feel like the season is already anti-climatic. Maybe I'll change my tune but I fear that because of a lack of preseason we may see a lot of star players going down with injury during the first game. I hope that's not the case.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: September 07, 2020, 11:19:08 AM »
I have to admit, I miss the preseason.

I always looked forward to the first three games of the preseason with special emphasis on the 3rd game as  a tuneup for the starters. The 4th game was worthless with a bunch of spare players but I can see the value of playing 3 games. The preseason got me pumped for the real thing and come this Thursday, I feel like the season is already anti-climatic. Maybe I'll change my tune but I fear that because of a lack of preseason we may see a lot of star players going down with injury during the first game. I hope that's not the case.
Yeah, not having any preseason games will have some effect I'm sure the first couple weeks of the season.  Seeing you never scrimmage full speed making up for that loss of preseason game contact will be tough.  Your 2's and 3's have zero game reps, so if needed they might be extra rusty when called upon if a starter goes down.  Another factor is I feel real bad for the kids who entered into the league this year.  They didn't get the benefit to put any preseason tape out there which could hurt their chances.  Those preseason games can amount to their whole resume, especially the late round draft picks and UDFA's.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #582 on: September 07, 2020, 05:28:14 PM »
I think defenses may have the edge the first couple weeks. Those athletic defensive ends and other pass rushers are going to be a handful for O-Lines that haven’t had any live game action.

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #583 on: September 09, 2020, 09:33:40 AM »
This is video game football, but Kaepernick was added to Madden.  And they gave him a higher rating than Derek Carr.  I'm not happy about that...

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #584 on: September 09, 2020, 10:30:56 AM »
:lol :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #585 on: September 09, 2020, 11:00:25 AM »
This is video game football, but Kaepernick was added to Madden.  And they gave him a higher rating than Derek Carr.  I'm not happy about that...

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #586 on: September 09, 2020, 11:39:32 AM »

For what it's worth, when's the last time Derek Carr was able to take a knee?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #587 on: September 10, 2020, 11:32:08 AM »

I mean, I can't really argue that they haven't for the majority of the last two decades...

But they're still my team.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #588 on: September 10, 2020, 03:52:19 PM »

I mean, I can't really argue that they haven't for the majority of the last two decades...

If nothing else, Raider fans are loyal -- even though the team doesn't deserve it.  Since losing to Tampa Bay in SB37, the Raiders are one of only two teams to have fewer than 100 wins (92-18, .338), and have only one playoff appearance over that time.  Only Cleveland has been worse (80-192, .294, and zero playoff appearances).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: September 11, 2020, 08:47:47 AM »
Maybe I wasn't following things closely to know this, but I was a bit surprised when I turned on the game and saw fans in the crowd (sparsed out to keep distance).  And I have no idea if they pumped in fan noise, but last nights game pretty much felt like any other NFL game (other than the national anthem intro).  Gives me hope that this season won't be too weird.

Giants are going to be such garbage though, that may kill my interest in this season fairly quick  :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #590 on: September 11, 2020, 04:20:50 PM »
Chiefs didn’t even play well and they were up 31-7 at one point. They’ll be tough to stop, especially with that new RB.

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #591 on: September 12, 2020, 10:33:16 AM »

If nothing else, Raider fans are loyal -- even though the team doesn't deserve it.  Since losing to Tampa Bay in SB37, the Raiders are one of only two teams to have fewer than 100 wins (92-18, .338), and have only one playoff appearance over that time.  Only Cleveland has been worse (80-192, .294, and zero playoff appearances).

All teams deserve loyalty, even the bad ones.  It's the bandwagon fans who are the worst.  I never saw anyone wearing Patriots stuff around here before the "Bradychick" dynasty, then it was everywhere!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: September 12, 2020, 10:43:18 AM »
If a team's ownership and/or management is not doing everything it can to bring a winning team to a city/region, it does not deserve loyalty.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #593 on: September 12, 2020, 11:35:19 AM »
Sports is for entertainment.  A sports team does not "deserve" anything from me, including my loyalty.  They get my viewership and perhaps the occasional ticket and concessions revenue as long as they are providing a service I enjoy.  If not, there are plenty of other things competing for my time and money.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: September 12, 2020, 11:55:18 AM »
The only way fans can tell ownership that they are unhappy with the product us by not going to games. I do not blame fans for that.