Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 118396 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Chiefs give future GOAT big bucks
« Reply #420 on: July 13, 2020, 11:33:54 AM »
Redskins looking into changing team name.  Interesting how it took pressure from sponsors to prompt it.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29405011/redskins-undergo-thorough-review-nickname
About damn time. It's shameful that in 2020 we still have a sports team named after a racial slur.

I think for it to qualify as a "racial slur," it has to (1) be objectively demeaning, and (2) be objectively demeaning/offensive to the group in question.  So (1) referring only to the color of skin isn't.  (2) We aren't offended or demeaned.  But that said, if White folks think it is somehow offensive and want to change it, there's certainly no harm. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #422 on: July 13, 2020, 12:48:40 PM »
That really doens't make much sense. Sports teams tend to be named after things that are brave, or scary, or noble. Seems a lot more plausible that they were going after the, perhaps incorrect, other interpretation of the expression; a slang term for Indians. That's why we have the Bears and Lions rather than the Pelts or the Furs. And the Cowboys instead of the Bounties (NOLA not withstanding). It's also why we have the Chiefs, the Braves, the Indians, and the Blackhawks.

Since the Redskins name seems to offend a tiny percentage of Indians (and a whole lot of bleeding hearts) then go ahead and change it. I couldn't care less. No need to go attributing alternative rationale to it, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #423 on: July 13, 2020, 12:53:26 PM »
Yay, that age-old authority on all things Indian-related, Esquire Magazine, to the rescue!  :lol

But in all seriousness, those articles are close to poster children for the flaws in trying to reason that it is a racial slur that I pointed to above.  Barto has it right. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #424 on: July 13, 2020, 01:30:18 PM »
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a29318/redskin-name-update/

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a29445/true-redskins-meaning/

The headline of the first linked article tells us that "a 'redskin' . . . [means] the scalped head of a native American, sold, like a pelt, for cash."  However, it starts with a photo of an 1863 news article that tells us that a "reward for dead Indians has been increased for $200 for every red-skin sent to Purgatory."  That article demonstrates exactly the opposite of what the headline claims since the notion of sending a "scalped head" to purgatory would make no sense at all since "scalped heads" do not go to purgatory -- only souls do.

When I was in law school, I took a trademark law case and read a handful of cases relating to efforts to cancel the "Redskins" trademark, and the evidence in those cases was fairly overwhelming that most American Indians didn't give much of a rip about the issue.  Of course, that's all 20+ year old information.

At the end of the day, however, I think exactly what El Barto wrote.

I'd also be willing to bet a dollar or two that, at the Washington Gerrymanderers' first game with fans, you will hear the loudest rendition of "Hail to the Redskins" that has ever been heard.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 10:35:55 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #425 on: July 13, 2020, 02:31:05 PM »
I am not naïve enough to to think that this name change is caused by a "tiny percent of Indians" or "a lot of bleeding hearts" as much one other motivation - money.  Look what FedEx and Amazon have done along with other major companies. They had no other choice other than keeping the name and watching their brand sink.

If little Danny Snyder woke up and had an epiphany, it was his accountants bending over him telling him how much money the organization was about to lose.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #426 on: July 13, 2020, 02:38:24 PM »
And those companies putting pressure were afraid of backlash if they didnt put pressure on the team. 

Feels like politics to me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #427 on: July 13, 2020, 02:48:59 PM »
I am not naïve enough to to think that this name change is caused by a "tiny percent of Indians" or "a lot of bleeding hearts" as much one other motivation - money.  Look what FedEx and Amazon have done along with other major companies. They had no other choice other than keeping the name and watching their brand sink.

If little Danny Snyder woke up and had an epiphany, it was his accountants bending over him telling him how much money the organization was about to lose.

So much this...

Look, I'm Native and I don't have a problem with the Redskins name. It's just a word, and a name of a FOOTBALL TEAM, that plays a GAME, to entertain you.

First off, I have to ask those that have a problem with it. Do you watch Football? If not, why do you care so much about something you have no interest in that many others do?

We as Native People have many other more important things to try and change than a freaking name.

What I am worried about it is how The Owner was forced to have to change his name. He still holds his ground. And is only succumbing to the name change because, it was either: You change the name or no football team. Being demanded by people that aren't even Native American to begin with and probably don't even watch Football.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #428 on: July 13, 2020, 02:50:12 PM »
And those companies putting pressure were afraid of backlash if they didnt put pressure on the team. 

Not as much politics as economics. The corporations live and breath on data along with brand recognition.  I would bet a paycheck that they ran the numbers, reports and such and decided it was in their best interest to change course. Now if you see Trump getting involved with a tweet, then it would be politics.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #429 on: July 13, 2020, 02:56:02 PM »

It was "a whole lot" of bleeding hearts, and they are the ones responsible. The only people who care least of all about this are FedEX and Amazon. It's nothing to them, and nor should it be. Those bleeding hearts who are outraged on behalf of the Indians add up, though, and FedEX is damn sure afraid of them.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #430 on: July 13, 2020, 03:07:10 PM »
Huh... I had no idea that most Indians aren't offended by the Redskins name. I figured most would at least think "yeah, it's degrading, but I've got bigger fish to fry." I still think it's one of those things that needed to change, but it's a shame that it was clearly about the money and not about being decent to the people who were here before us.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #431 on: July 13, 2020, 03:37:55 PM »

It was "a whole lot" of bleeding hearts, and they are the ones responsible. The only people who care least of all about this are FedEX and Amazon. It's nothing to them, and nor should it be. Those bleeding hearts who are outraged on behalf of the Indians add up, though, and FedEX is damn sure afraid of them.

If FedEx didn't care then why did they ask the organization to change the name of the stadium  that has their name on it? And why was Amazon going to stop selling jerseys and paraphernalia?

I'm not surer if you know this but "the whole lot of bleeding hearts" have been trying to get the name changed for decades, always falling on deaf ears with little Danny Snyder saying "over my dead body". Maybe we should check to see if he's still alive?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #432 on: July 13, 2020, 03:46:58 PM »

Not as much politics as economics. The corporations live and breath on data along with brand recognition.  I would bet a paycheck that they ran the numbers, reports and such and decided it was in their best interest to change course. Now if you see Trump getting involved with a tweet, then it would be politics.

I'm talking money. They were getting hit in the wallet.  Money forced the change.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #433 on: July 13, 2020, 03:55:17 PM »

If FedEx didn't care then why did they ask the organization to change the name of the stadium  that has their name on it? And why was Amazon going to stop selling jerseys and paraphernalia?

I'm not surer if you know this but "the whole lot of bleeding hearts" have been trying to get the name changed for decades, always falling on deaf ears with little Danny Snyder saying "over my dead body". Maybe we should check to see if he's still alive?
Look, we're mostly in agreement here. You said money and of course you're correct. The difference is that the bleeding hearts actually care about the cause, misguided though they may be. They're offended by it, for some reason. Corporations don't care about anything other than shareholder profits. To that end they're making the move the public demands. It's strictly a business decision, based on the fact that an increasing number of people do seem to care about it. If the climate isn't such as it is today, FedEX and Amazon would be just as happy to ignore the thing. Let's also keep in mind that Amazon stands to make a minor fortune from this. Lil Danny gets stuck with the massive expense of this name change* while Amazon sells out of all of the old, now collectable, logo stuff, and then sells several metric shit-tons of new logo stuff.

*Think of how many things will have to be redone. Every single thing in that stadium has the logo on it. The beer cups. The trash cans. The napkins. The menus. The coolers the hawkers carry around. All of the signage. The ticket stock. All of the online stuff. Company letterhead. I'll bet Lil Danny's G-IV has a Redskins livery. The carpet in the locker room, not to mention the lockers themselves. Five years from now they'll still be finding Redskins logos in places nobody ever thought to look.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #434 on: July 13, 2020, 05:04:50 PM »

Fedex doesn't care about the name of the team or how any person or group of people feel about the name.  Fedex cares about money, and the "bleeding hearts" got sufficiently organized that Fedex became concerned about an impact on its bottom line.  THAT is why Fedex put pressure on Snyder.

Also, FYI, the folks who have been seeking to have the name changed have been doing so a lot longer than Dan Snyder's 1999 acquisition of the franchise.  The Cooke family didn't give any more fucks than does Snyder.

Let's also keep in mind that Amazon stands to make a minor fortune from this. Lil Danny gets stuck with the massive expense of this name change* while Amazon sells out of all of the old, now collectable, logo stuff, and then sells several metric shit-tons of new logo stuff.

To say nothing of marking UP the prices on the old stuff because it's "vintage."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #435 on: July 13, 2020, 07:08:51 PM »
Huh... I had no idea that most Indians aren't offended by the Redskins name. I figured most would at least think "yeah, it's degrading, but I've got bigger fish to fry." I still think it's one of those things that needed to change, but it's a shame that it was clearly about the money and not about being decent to the people who were here before us.

It is what you exactly said. We understand it's a term that was used in a derogatory way. It all comes down to, it's just a Football game in the end, and doing this won't make a dent.

Now contrast this move to what the Supreme Court ruled in Oklahoma. That is way way bigger and more important to celebrate and has a much long lasting impact than a name.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #436 on: July 13, 2020, 07:12:57 PM »
It's ironic though, many natives here in New Mexico like the Dallas Cowboys.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: July 13, 2020, 07:25:54 PM »
Ok, a better source

https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/02/04/native-mascots-survey/

I wrote back on July 6th in regards to this topic.  I included a caveat.  So, from all this, I'm grouped into the 'bleeding heart liberal' category as well :huh:

To think that Snyder will make a lot more $$$$$$$$ by the end of this.  The first time his franchise has had any relevancy since Griffin hurt his knee. 

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #438 on: July 14, 2020, 07:12:52 AM »
It's ironic though, many natives here in New Mexico like the Dallas Cowboys.

Ironic? I think it makes sense when you consider the history of Cowboys. (And I'm not talking about the football team)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #439 on: July 14, 2020, 07:34:38 AM »
Washington Gerrymanderers'

Nicely done.   That's classic. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #440 on: July 14, 2020, 07:42:31 AM »
Ok, a better source

I wrote back on July 6th in regards to this topic.  I included a caveat.  So, from all this, I'm grouped into the 'bleeding heart liberal' category as well :huh:

To think that Snyder will make a lot more $$$$$$$$ by the end of this.  The first time his franchise has had any relevancy since Griffin hurt his knee.

Look, I'm parked firmly with El Barto on this; I think he's got it 100% correct, and I (I think he said) couldn't give a rat's ass either way as to whether they change anything (Daniel Snyder is still there, ergo, they're still going to suck), but I read the article here, and this is key:

"Of those polled for the study, 57% who strongly identify with being Native American and 67% of those who frequently engage in tribal cultural practices were found to be deeply insulted by caricatures of Native American culture."

This assumes that ALL of those people agree that the use of the Redskins name and logo is, in fact, a "caricature of Native American culture".  This is the very definition of "begging the question".   I think it's foolish to try to put numbers on this; I know I live close to two Indian reservations, and know a couple people well-placed in their governmental organization.  One, a friend from college is a senior official in one of the organizations (which runs a large casino in I think three states).  I remember being in a conversation with him on this and when asked if it bothered him he answered something to the effect of "as long as people bet on the team, I don't care what the name is."  He was, of course, joking, but I think this is a big issue for a small number of people.  I can't imagine even one mind being changed by this.   

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #441 on: July 14, 2020, 11:26:18 AM »
The Redskins should have kept their name the same and just changed their logo to a potato.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #442 on: July 14, 2020, 12:57:15 PM »
The Redskins should have kept their name the same and just changed their logo to a potato.

That's a win!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #443 on: July 14, 2020, 01:53:14 PM »
Snyder is going to take a bath on this. As I pointed out yesterday, the cost of changing the thing over will be massive. And more importantly, the people who are up in arms about the team name don't give a shit about football. When Washington next take the field all of the bleeding hearts will be out picketing Arbys or something, and definitely not watching the game. He'll get zero new fans out of this, and he'll probably lose a few Trumpers. The talking heads will make a big deal out of it their first home game, but that won't get him anything.

I wonder what will happen the first time somebody wears their vintage Art Monk jersey to a game. Will he be denied entry? Pelted with beer and popcorn? Forced to turn his jersey inside out?
E.F. Benson

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #444 on: July 14, 2020, 01:56:53 PM »
Snyder is going to take a bath on this. As I pointed out yesterday, the cost of changing the thing over will be massive. And more importantly, the people who are up in arms about the team name don't give a shit about football. When Washington next take the field all of the bleeding hearts will be out picketing Arbys or something, and definitely not watching the game. He'll get zero new fans out of this, and he'll probably lose a few Trumpers. The talking heads will make a big deal out of it their first home game, but that won't get him anything.

I wonder what will happen the first time somebody wears their vintage Art Monk jersey to a game. Will he be denied entry? Pelted with beer and popcorn? Forced to turn his jersey inside out?

And I will say again, this has nothing to do with the "bleeding hearts" effecting change.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #445 on: July 14, 2020, 04:23:01 PM »
Ok, a better source

Look, I'm parked firmly with El Barto on this; I think he's got it 100% correct, and I (I think he said) couldn't give a rat's ass either way as to whether they change anything (Daniel Snyder is still there, ergo, they're still going to suck), but I read the article here, and this is key:

"Of those polled for the study, 57% who strongly identify with being Native American and 67% of those who frequently engage in tribal cultural practices were found to be deeply insulted by caricatures of Native American culture."

This assumes that ALL of those people agree that the use of the Redskins name and logo is, in fact, a "caricature of Native American culture".  This is the very definition of "begging the question".   I think it's foolish to try to put numbers on this; I know I live close to two Indian reservations, and know a couple people well-placed in their governmental organization.  One, a friend from college is a senior official in one of the organizations (which runs a large casino in I think three states).  I remember being in a conversation with him on this and when asked if it bothered him he answered something to the effect of "as long as people bet on the team, I don't care what the name is."  He was, of course, joking, but I think this is a big issue for a small number of people.  I can't imagine even one mind being changed by this.   

Agreed.  The majority just aren't buying into it.  Although, what Mike Huckabee said on Fox News yesterday was pretty funny.  "I don't care what the Redskins call themselves, as long as they lose to the Dallas Cowboys."  :lol :rollin :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline dparrott

« Reply #446 on: July 14, 2020, 08:01:01 PM »
the evidence in those cases was fairly overwhelming that most American Indians didn't give much of a rip about the issue.  Of course, that's all 20+ year old information.

Yea well most people didn't let things bother them 20 years ago.  Now everyone's butthurt about somethin.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #447 on: July 14, 2020, 08:35:06 PM »

I think it's been said already, but let's just rather call themselves the Red Potatoes and let their new mascot be a giant Red Potato with a face on it with stringy arms and legs coming out of it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #448 on: July 15, 2020, 06:47:46 AM »
Some Native Americans speak on what the Washington bRedskins & name mean to them

https://www.facebook.com/113407830067537/posts/298966071511711/

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #449 on: July 15, 2020, 07:10:27 AM »
That's interesting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #450 on: July 15, 2020, 08:11:35 AM »
I think Washington should change their name to the Washington Wind Talkers. That should allow them to keep their logo.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #451 on: July 15, 2020, 09:30:31 AM »
I think Washington should change their name to the Washington Wind Talkers. That should allow them to keep their logo.
As would the Warriors. That seems like the obvious choice to me. The injun on their logo is a pretty dignified guy. I'd certainly be trying to salvage that.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #452 on: July 15, 2020, 04:15:05 PM »
As would the Warriors. That seems like the obvious choice to me. The injun on their logo is a pretty dignified guy. I'd certainly be trying to salvage that.

Can you believe they are also upset about the logo. I literally Facepalmed when someone I know, who is an active native activist, mentioned that.

She also confirmed, it's mainly the younger generation that are upset. That shows a lot to me, because we are told to listen and respect our elders. Many, would likely agree, it's just a blip in the larger war.

The Wind Talkers is a great one, and I'd rather prefer that if they want to also, show military respect. This shows how Natives were vastly important during Americas fight in WWII.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #453 on: July 16, 2020, 04:30:26 PM »

Can you believe they are also upset about the logo. I literally Facepalmed when someone I know, who is an active native activist, mentioned that.

She also confirmed, it's mainly the younger generation that are upset. That shows a lot to me, because we are told to listen and respect our elders. Many, would likely agree, it's just a blip in the larger war.

The Wind Talkers is a great one, and I'd rather prefer that if they want to also, show military respect. This shows how Natives were vastly important during Americas fight in WWII.

Well, I don't have a problem with the logo but I do think it's in Washington's best interest to get this right THE FIRST TIME so I think going with the Warriors is not a good idea, even though I have no problem with it. Little Danny Snyder has run that franchise into the ground and naming them the Warriors would seem like a half assed attempt to appease those that are offended. Going with Wind Talkers, would be a slam dunk. No one would argue and it would give no one pause to challenge it which is what little Danny Snyder needs right now. Why?

Because word on the street has it that there's shit coming down that implicates Washington and little Danny Snyder in some scandal that it could cause the NFL to take his franchise away from him.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #454 on: July 17, 2020, 11:24:46 AM »
There is.  Sexual harassment.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.