Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 118349 times)

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. R.I.P. Don Shula
« Reply #385 on: June 30, 2020, 01:17:29 PM »
If he plays well enough to be worth $28 million I think we'll all be happy about it.

I wont.  I'm a Dolphins fan.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #386 on: June 30, 2020, 01:30:05 PM »
The Dolphins future looks bright right now.  This is a flyer on a guy that really hasn't been healthy in 2 years so I not sure I'd say that Pat's own the division again.

If he plays well enough to be worth $28 million I think we'll all be happy about it.

I think that that's too high with what's going on with Covid.  Players are not going to get the crazy money we're accustomed to seeing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #387 on: June 30, 2020, 03:56:24 PM »
:lol

Cam hasn't been healthy for 2 years. Can he stay on the field is the right question.
Kurt Warner addressed this in an op-ed yesterday. After the greatest show on turf he was in a nearly identical situation before moving on to Arizona. IIRC he missed one season due to injury, and then got benched in week one of the next and never took another snap for StL.

Kurt is being nice, as there is a big difference between a pocket passer who was scary accurate (Warner) and an athletic marvel who has taken so many hits over the years that he cannot stay healthy any more to where his freakish body is the asset it once was.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: July 01, 2020, 10:09:16 AM »
You guys are funny thinking there will be football games this year.

While I love me some football, I just don't see how it's going to happen.

Yea, I'm very skeptical of us getting a season this year, however with MLB starting back up in a month, it'll give us an idea if this can move forward or not. 

No football season is going to be very sad as it's such a huge Sunday past time for the US.  I feel like losing baseball/hockey/basketball doesn't come close to losing football just because it's such a specific fall sunday activity for so many. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: July 01, 2020, 06:00:57 PM »
Not NFL related but a friend I grew up with is on a documentary on ESPN at 9pm tonight. It's an all women football league where her team won the championship!  Patrick Pass of Patriots fame was the coach!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline dparrott

« Reply #390 on: July 03, 2020, 11:08:16 AM »
Redskins looking into changing team name.  Interesting how it took pressure from sponsors to prompt it.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29405011/redskins-undergo-thorough-review-nickname
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: July 03, 2020, 08:20:14 PM »
A billionaire evaluating a business decision based on financial interests? That is the opposite of interesting. Ok, maybe more like obvious. Not literally the opposite of interesting.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: July 03, 2020, 09:47:37 PM »
Go back all these years here, and I've always called them 'DC' or the 'Potatoes'. 

They could change their name to the Washington Wasps.  Instead of a stinging insect on the helmet, they could put a profile of a Caucasian on each side. 

The burgundy and gold could change their name to the 'Wines', which would also fit with the whining that's so prevalent. 

I've tried for years to come up the proper alternative.  I think 'Admirals' and 'Federals' were used in other leagues <yawn> Generals is the best I can think of, as long as they don't play the Globetrotters ;)

Or, maybe the DC Storms?  DC Stallions?  DC Dragons?  DC Deficits?

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: July 03, 2020, 09:51:58 PM »
The potatoes?

They could change their name to the Washington Wasps.  Instead of a stinging insect on the helmet, they could put a profile of a Caucasian on each side. 

:D
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: July 04, 2020, 07:13:41 AM »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #395 on: July 04, 2020, 08:10:28 AM »
Redskins looking into changing team name.  Interesting how it took pressure from sponsors to prompt it.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29405011/redskins-undergo-thorough-review-nickname
About damn time. It's shameful that in 2020 we still have a sports team named after a racial slur. Of course, I fully expect them to not end up changing the name after talking to one American Indian guy and then citing tradition or some other nonsense.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #396 on: July 04, 2020, 08:12:54 AM »
Not football but the Cleveland Indians are now considering a name change as well.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #397 on: July 04, 2020, 08:17:05 AM »
Not football but the Cleveland Indians are now considering a name change as well.
This one is overdue as well. I don't see Indians as being nearly as bad as Redskins, since Indian is preferred term used by most American Indians, but it's still very bizarre to have a team named after a racial group.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #398 on: July 04, 2020, 08:23:56 AM »
About damn time. It's shameful that in 2020 we still have a sports team named after a racial slur. Of course, I fully expect them to not end up changing the name after talking to one American Indian guy and then citing tradition or some other nonsense.

They'll change it. I don't think they have a choice now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: July 04, 2020, 10:18:17 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #400 on: July 04, 2020, 10:28:53 AM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: July 04, 2020, 10:35:18 AM »
* flag gets thrown on the Karens.

"Time out. We would like to speak to Mr. Riveron, please."

Sorta on topic... what site(s) do you all use for your sports news? I have always used ESPN.com out of habit, but I am tiring of their coverage and presentation. Any recommendations?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 11:23:45 AM by Cool Chris »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #402 on: July 04, 2020, 04:21:55 PM »
I use a couple of local Boston sites.

I'm a hockey fan so I visit TSN.NHL daily.

I do like ESPN's site because their statistic pages are easy to read and navigate. But I don't go there for news, and will only go if I'm doing stat analysis. But I usually have sports talk radio on in the car.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #403 on: July 04, 2020, 09:55:08 PM »
Why not look into some of the actual tribes that were indigenous to the area and name it after them to pay proper homage to the Native American heritage (like the Blackhawks did in Chicago in honor of a famous Native American Chief from Illinois named Black Hawk)?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: July 06, 2020, 09:44:34 AM »
As to the DC football team’s ‘proud tradition’ of their nickname, which includes a copy of part of the original newspaper article behind the original Boston NFL franchise nickname.
https://news.sportslogos.net/2020/07/05/the-history-and-the-controversy-of-the-washington-redskins-name-and-logo/

Caveat:  I graduated from Central Michigan.  Our school’s nickname was, and still is, the Chippewas.  CMU is located in Mt. Pleasant, which has the Chippewa River, is in the Chippewa Valley, and has a Chippewa reservation outside the city limits.  Nothing derogatory.  No ‘chops’ or ‘chants’.  Eons ago, three members of the marching band were kicked out for showing up with face paint on game day.  I’ve never seen one fan show up in any silly Indian garb. 

I was ticked when the state pressured the school to remove the spear on the helmet after the ’87 season.  I do own a handful of Washington mini replicas of the throwback helmet.

The tribe wrote letters to the NCAA in support of keeping the name.

Years later, Eastern Michigan changed their nickname from ‘Hurons’ to ‘Eagles’.  Ypsilanti is located in the Huron Valley, has the Huron River run through it….and the school didn’t do any mocking.  (at least they didn’t change to the ‘Emus’😉).  To me, with both Chippewas and Hurons, I learned of their histories because of the names.

And then, there were the arguments against various nicknames and the subsequent changes ie North Dakota, Miami of Ohio, and St. John’s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dakota_Fighting_Sioux_controversy
https://miamiredhawks.com/news/2012/8/10/Nickname_History.aspx#:~:text=At%20its%20meeting%20on%20April,into%20effect%20July%201%2C%201997.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John%27s_Red_Storm

Seminoles, Chiefs, Warriors, Braves…..the Fighting Sioux.  I have no problems.  There are Trojans, Spartans, Vikings, Colonels, Admirals, Generals, Coloniels, Minutemen….. 
It’s the stupid behaviors associated that I have a problem with.

Moving on, this link includes a copy of part of the original newspaper article on the ‘tradition’ behind the original Boston NFL franchise nickname.
https://news.sportslogos.net/2020/07/05/the-history-and-the-controversy-of-the-washington-redskins-name-and-logo/

Link for the Washington Redhawks uni and hoax
https://www.forbes.com/sites/demetriusbell/2017/12/15/the-washington-redhawks-hoax-is-actually-a-well-executed-concept-design/#6e3eaa0f121b

For the Redtails (and other options)
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/if-washington-changes-redskins-team-name-here-are-some-of-the-best-options/ 

for the team logo and uniforms
https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1982381

Redtails has been picking up steam, and I think it would be a great choice for the reasons listed.

Blackhawks…..named after a fighter squadron that the original owner was a member of, in honor of a Sioux chief. 

As to the Cleveland Indians…..that’s for another time, but Chief Wahoo was a frickin’ disgrace.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #405 on: July 06, 2020, 03:02:57 PM »
ESPN is reporting a Mahomes extension...400 mill for 10 year extension..No details yet on how much money he will actually get but daaaaaamn...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29418825/sources-chiefs-patrick-mahomes-agree-10-year-extension

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #406 on: July 06, 2020, 03:06:56 PM »
Wise move, a) locking down Mahomes now, and b) making it a long deal to where they can presumably soften the cap hit in the first few years.  Recent history shows that once a QB is given a crazy high contract, their team then struggles to put a championship level team around them on a regular basis (see: Russell Wilson), so we will see if the Chiefs can buck the trend. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #407 on: July 06, 2020, 03:45:48 PM »
And in other news, an upscale Maryland neighborhood caught fire when Ravens GM Eric DeCosta spontaneously combusted while reading the morning newspaper. "One minute he was drinking his OJ and laughing with the kids, and then he got this pained look on his face. It looked like he was going to say something but he just burst into flames" recalled his wife, fighting back tears. "I started to wrap a towel around him but he was producing these terrible fumes so I grabbed the kids and ran out the door." After fighting the blaze for several hours, the fire chief called it "the God damnedest thing I've ever seen."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: July 06, 2020, 04:28:12 PM »
^
As Ravens fans, my wife and I were laughing aloud reading this....and somewhat crying at the same time.

You won our internet for the day :tup

The contract:  my stepdaughter went to Delaware at the same time as Joe Flacco.  Saw him play five times in person, led the Blue Hens to the 1-AA title game, was thrilled when the Ravens drafted him, and 'loved' him, warts and all.  He wasn't 'elite', but he was a winner here.  Then came time for the contract.  Any time after that, when he mentioned how it was 'all about winning', I wanted to throw up.  He could have taken less, they could have re-signed Anquan Boldin, had money to fill holes or re-sign others, etc.  One playoff appearance in the five years after the contract, and then he got hurt in the sixth (Hello, Lamar!).  It was an albatross that hung around the franchise until last year. 

We've seen the same thing in Green Bay, Seattle, etc etc.  It's all just so crazy.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 10:11:29 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #409 on: July 07, 2020, 01:15:23 PM »
Brilliant contract. That’s how you pay your franchise QB without handicapping your ability to build around him. The Chiefs are in a position now where they locked up a once in a generation talent for his entire prime and still have money to add/keep talent in place. They should be a contender for years.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: July 07, 2020, 01:18:32 PM »
Isn't it averaging 40 Million a year.  Is that 20% of the cap?  I thought I read that somewhere.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #411 on: July 07, 2020, 02:03:51 PM »
Isn't it averaging 40 Million a year.  Is that 20% of the cap?  I thought I read that somewhere.
Depends on how it's structured. The signing bonus gets prorated, and it could be top or bottom loaded. More importantly, it could include phantom years at an exorbitant price that won't really factor into it. My hunch is that a big chunk of the 450m is in the final 3 years which will either be voided or renegotiated. Remember Brady's contract extension which paid him 40 someodd million for 2020 and 2021, but actually voided at the end of 2019?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: July 07, 2020, 02:07:35 PM »
I thought I read it wasnt back loaded but he would be paid a percentage each year. Let me see if I can find it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #413 on: July 07, 2020, 02:15:52 PM »
There's been talk that it might be linked to the cap. That's something that owners were dreading, but was pretty much inevitable.

I guess it's just how I grew up, but massive contracts never made much sense to me. Give me a ton of money up front so I can buy 3 nice houses with a car and a crazy stripper wife for each one, and then enough income to make me comfortable. Spend the rest building a team around me. Having to be the highest paid would never occur to me.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: July 07, 2020, 02:17:01 PM »
It was some mechanisms for the team that they can opt out I saw. Here are the #'s for each year.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #415 on: July 07, 2020, 02:35:24 PM »
Yeah, here's a Q&A about the contract, and by NFL standards it's a doozy. The opt out mechanisms aren't actually all that great for KC. Basically, his contracts guarantee two years in advance. So in 2023 when roid-rage kicks in and he burns his ex-girlfriend with a crack pipe, the Chiefs will already be on the hook for 2024 and 2025. His 2026 and subsequent contracts guarantee a year in advance, which is why there's a massive increase for 2027. That makes it fairly likely that what we really have is a  six year deal worth $185m and a renegotiation in 2026.

Also, none of this is actually linked to the cap. That's coming, but isn't here yet.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29419411/is-patrick-mahomes-500-million-contract-actually-team-friendly-answering-eight-questions-chiefs-qb-deal
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: July 07, 2020, 03:11:47 PM »
I'm hearing about your article you just posted above right now on Boston radio saying exactly what you are saying.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #417 on: July 08, 2020, 07:53:42 AM »
There's been talk that it might be linked to the cap. That's something that owners were dreading, but was pretty much inevitable.

I guess it's just how I grew up, but massive contracts never made much sense to me. Give me a ton of money up front so I can buy 3 nice houses with a car and a crazy stripper wife for each one, and then enough income to make me comfortable. Spend the rest building a team around me. Having to be the highest paid would never occur to me.

What does that mean, "linked to the cap"?   He gets paid a percentage that always keep some money available to the team? Or the other way, whatever the cap is, he gets a certain percentage?

I'm with you, Bart.   Really.  I like money as much as the next guy, but there are intangibles.   Even in my humble professional life, I've always sort of balanced the equation; working out of the house, being able to spend time with my kid, moderate/reasonable travel...   it's all a balance, and if you're going to be a football player in the NFL, the "house/time with fam/moderate travel" is out the window, so you might as well WIN, baby. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #418 on: July 08, 2020, 08:10:55 AM »

What does that mean, "linked to the cap"?   He gets paid a percentage that always keep some money available to the team? Or the other way, whatever the cap is, he gets a certain percentage?

I'm with you, Bart.   Really.  I like money as much as the next guy, but there are intangibles.   Even in my humble professional life, I've always sort of balanced the equation; working out of the house, being able to spend time with my kid, moderate/reasonable travel...   it's all a balance, and if you're going to be a football player in the NFL, the "house/time with fam/moderate travel" is out the window, so you might as well WIN, baby.
The latter. He gets X percentage of the cap. There was talk that's what Russel Wilson was going to do, and from the talk around town that might be what Dak Prescott is after. It scares the hell out of the owners, though. The cap gives them leverage, but also makes it possible to plan going forward. If 7 players on your team are all linked to a percentage of the cap you're going to have a very hard time growing.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Chiefs give future GOAT big bucks
« Reply #419 on: July 13, 2020, 10:33:38 AM »
The solution is to quit paying these guys so damn much.  Spread the wealth and you just might be able to keep the stellar team that you managed to build around a QB that didn't do ALL the work.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White