Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 114125 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. less than 7 months to the season!!
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2020, 08:40:33 AM »
I can identify with that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2020, 08:57:34 PM »
I think the part that bothers me - well, "bothers" isn't the right word; it just doesn't fit - is that Brady is far too smart to not know what the Patriots position is.  He's seen this already with a list of players as long as El Barto's beard.  For 20 years he not only saw it first hand, but played into it (with his salary concessions).   He's no dummy, he knows that it makes zero sense for the club to keep him.  NONE.   I guess I get the role of ego, but that doesn't really play with what I've seen of Tom.

It's not new, it's not out of character, it's not unexpected.  So where does that leave Brady?  I do believe the hype that he doesn't know where he's going to go.  I'm actually not ruling out retirement.  The one wildcard?  The Pats have no real fall-back, and I find it hard to believe that Brady would fuck them over like that.   Is it possible that he's waiting for the draft?  Does this play schedule-wise?

Eh, he will be a free agent, so unless you want to blame him for allegedly talking Daddy Kraft into making the Hoodie trade Jimmy G a few years ago, it's not his problem if he leaves and the Patriots have no fall-back plan.  I suspect, if Brady does indeed depart, that Belichick already has a few guys in mind, maybe Bridgewater, Mariotta or Dalton.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2020, 07:03:21 AM »
I think the part that bothers me - well, "bothers" isn't the right word; it just doesn't fit - is that Brady is far too smart to not know what the Patriots position is.  He's seen this already with a list of players as long as El Barto's beard.  For 20 years he not only saw it first hand, but played into it (with his salary concessions).   He's no dummy, he knows that it makes zero sense for the club to keep him.  NONE.   I guess I get the role of ego, but that doesn't really play with what I've seen of Tom.

It's not new, it's not out of character, it's not unexpected.  So where does that leave Brady?  I do believe the hype that he doesn't know where he's going to go.  I'm actually not ruling out retirement.  The one wildcard?  The Pats have no real fall-back, and I find it hard to believe that Brady would fuck them over like that.   Is it possible that he's waiting for the draft?  Does this play schedule-wise?

Eh, he will be a free agent, so unless you want to blame him for allegedly talking Daddy Kraft into making the Hoodie trade Jimmy G a few years ago, it's not his problem if he leaves and the Patriots have no fall-back plan.  I suspect, if Brady does indeed depart, that Belichick already has a few guys in mind, maybe Bridgewater, Mariotta or Dalton.

I don't disagree with any of that, really.  But I just think there's a fundamental difference between a Tom Brady, and a Le'veon Bell, or any of hundreds of other athletes that are just "lookin' to be paid".   I think there are players that don't give fuck one about the teams they are leaving, or even going to.  I just don't think that's Brady; I don't think he wants that on his legacy, frankly.   I do think Belichick has a plan, he always does, and I don't disagree with your choice (as a Patriot fan, I'm good with any of those, though not in that order).

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2020, 03:42:28 PM »
Not that anyone cares what I think, but I believe that there is zero chance Brady stays in New England. He's won 6 Super Bowls playing the "Patriot way" under arguably the greatest head coach of all time.

I think he wants to bet on him self, go somewhere new and win one the "TB12" way.  Some of these potential landing spots may seem appealing to him compared to what he'd potentially have at New England next year. So yeah, I think he's gone.

But with that said, I see someone like Carr, Bridgwater or Dalton picking up the playbook in New England and keeping them right where they are as contenders.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2020, 03:45:32 PM »
TB12 is a huge component of this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2020, 04:37:53 PM »
But what team could be an instant contender by adding him?  I'm not really seeing that team as existing in the league.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2020, 05:36:50 PM »
But what team could be an instant contender by adding him?  I'm not really seeing that team as existing in the league.

I think Tennessee figures if they got as far as they did with Tannehill at QB, Brady may be enough to get over the hump.

For teams like the Raiders and Chargers, it may be more about having his star power to try to help in their new or newish cities.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2020, 06:41:59 PM »
How good could the Colts be with a better QB? I've been hearing that is where Rivers will end up signing, though.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2020, 07:34:52 PM »
Watching NFL Network's a Football Life: Jerry Rice. I knew he was Super Bowl XXIII MVP, but I didn't know that Disney asked Montana to do the I'm going to Disney world bit. That was pathetic.

As many of the older guys in this chat know... Jerry Rice was phenomenal.....

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2020, 07:49:53 PM »
Watching NFL Network's a Football Life: Jerry Rice. I knew he was Super Bowl XXIII MVP, but I didn't know that Disney asked Montana to do the I'm going to Disney world bit. That was pathetic.

As many of the older guys in this chat know... Jerry Rice was phenomenal.....

He was!

I'm not watching it, but isn't that all done (the Disney thing) well ahead of time? It's racism, isn't it? Serious.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2020, 09:22:48 PM »
Jerry Rice is still my pick for greatest football player ever. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2020, 09:30:20 PM »
Whoa, hot take there Kev!  :biggrin:

In other news, I heard there are talks to move Al Michaels to ESPN to work MNF with Peyton Manning. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2020, 09:43:04 PM »
I'd be shocked if NBC is willing to essentially trade Al Michaels to ESPN.  I am sure ESPN is desperate to restore MNF's prestige, which has slipped badly in recent years, but it's their own fault.  They don't do a great job with the lead-in to the game and they have done a poor job with the choice of announcers.  It's no wonder that the NFL gives most of the best games to the Sunday night slot.  Heck, it seems like in recent years that even Thursday night is getting better games than Monday night.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2020, 09:13:02 AM »
Sunday is football day, so it makes sense that the week's marquee game is on Sunday primetime.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2020, 09:21:25 AM »
I’m more for the expansion of the postseason and the elimination of the first round bye than I am for a reformatting of the playoffs.  <SNIP>

.... I also think that a first round bye in the playoffs creates an unfair advantage. Since the implementation of the first round bye, there has never been a Super Bowl without at least one team who had the wild card weekend off. Hell the Patriots under Belichick have never made a Super Bowl without a first round bye, and they’re the greatest football dynasty of all time. Also, having four more playoff games creates more revenue for the league, and we know how the modern day NFL is mostly money driven. And with two more playoff spots per conference, it puts more teams in the hunt in the later season, giving us more competitive games. Expand the playoff field and I personally believe the product will be better for it.

I appreciate the homework on this.  But, in the case of at least one team each year reaching the SB with a first week bye, maybe they just happen to be the better teams.  They earned their byes.  I don't want the product diluted due to 8-8 teams making it as a wild card, or the best teams losing a couple of players to injuries in the wild card round.  I can also see teams in that won't have the chance for a first round bye as in years past resting their players if they have their division sown up.  It just becomes like the NCAA basketball tourney and getting your 'competition' medal with a watered down product.

Don't get me started on the possible 17th game.  Player safety....yeah, right (I'm still waiting for teams playing Thursdays to have their bye the prior Sunday....tick, tick, tick).   Just using last year as an example, but do people really want to see DC or Jacksonville or Detroit or Cleveland or Cincinnati play another game, at a neutral site no less?  I'm sure the players want to get out of Dodge just as fast.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 02:02:05 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2020, 12:17:33 PM »
It seems to me that rather than adding a 17th game, the league would get largely the same benefit just by adding a second bye. Ticket sales, stupidly expensive as they may be, are a pittance compared to pretty much every other revenue stream the NFL has. They mostly just cover operating costs. Increasing them by 6% isn't going to matter much, especially when you increase the operations of your stadium by the same amount. Whereas from a TV standpoint 21 weeks is a huge increase over 20.

And I hadn't considered the need to balance out HFA throughout the league. I suppose if you're going to have an international game every week it's simple enough, but I don't see that happening.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2020, 06:48:02 AM »

Other than Lawrence Taylor, sure.  ;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2020, 06:53:08 AM »

I think you're probably right, but.... it's not what we think, it's what the GM/Coach/Owner think.  David Tepper thought it was a famtastic idea to bury Matt Rhule in money, too.  There will be a team stupid enough to sign Philip Rivers, too, you betcha.   GIven that, I would bet there are at least three teams in the league that would think that Tom Brady is a good move for the next two years.  Las Vegas is on that list.  Tennessee is on that list.   No one else seems to agree with me, but I think that explains San Francisco's being mentioned here (though I agree that's not their best move). 

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2020, 07:24:06 AM »
My In-Laws (from Boston, and rabid Pats fans) were in town this past weekend, and the subject of Brady came up.
They agreed that Brady's best course of action (best for Brady AND the team) would be to retire.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2020, 10:53:20 AM »
That's what fans say when they don't want to see "their guy" play for another team.

Tom has said from the start 45 is the goal.  It helps his TB12 brand tremendously if he plays to 45. (Playing at a high level as well)

It seems to me Brady and Bellichick is a marriage gone sour and both want out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2020, 11:01:11 AM »

Maybe.  But I don't think we can really assume that.  Nobody really knows the extent of that other than them.

But assuming for argument's sake that it is true, if they can each just "get over it" and get out of their own heads about it (which, admittedly, can be very difficult), they stand the best chance of success by getting past it and making things work.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2020, 12:20:28 PM »

Maybe.  But I don't think we can really assume that.  Nobody really knows the extent of that other than them.

But assuming for argument's sake that it is true, if they can each just "get over it" and get out of their own heads about it (which, admittedly, can be very difficult), they stand the best chance of success by getting past it and making things work.
It's more than just getting over it. It's also a matter of Brady taking a very team-friendly deal to try and keep some talent around him. The reality is that personalities don't factor into it as much a finances, and I think Bill is almost certainly thinking beyond 2020. And honestly, if there's to be an offensive shake up in the next 1-3 years, it would be best happening while a lot of defensive pieces are still in place.

Personally, I'm ready for Stidham. I'm tired of the drama, and I think the time has come to finally move on. If Stidham works out, great. If not he'll still win ten or eleven games and they can Cassel his ass off to who knows where for a high pick.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2020, 12:51:48 PM »
For Bill it is financial.  For Brady it is financial but it's more.  Since Deflategate,  where Bill told the media, "Ask Tom," and Kraft backing down from the owners Brady's demeanor has changed.

Brady has to feel slighted. Add that financially he's taken less forever then doesn't get the backing from the owner and coach has changed his perspective on this team.

Asking and receiving not getting franchised says a lot.  So it's a mix of financial and personal. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2020, 01:14:08 PM »
There's a fundamental difference though: Tom is speaking for Tom, with consequences for Tom (and his family) and Bill is speaking for the team, with consequences for the team.  Bill won't be coaching in 20 years, but he might be in 10, and it's a powerful motivational tool (and credibility boost) if he tells Player A the Patriots will only do this and when Player A pushes back Bill can say "we did it with Brady, we're doing it with you too."    It's always been the Patriot way to not have superstars, and yet they find themselves with exactly that.   I get that he's a kicker, but they sent Vinateri packing without so much as a goodbye kiss.  But there's still Wolfork.  Law.  Seymour. Moss.  McGinest.  Welker.  Amendola.   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2020, 03:40:53 PM »
Absolutely but none of those guys too less for his team. Not that Brady may be the best player ever.  Who did whatever the coach ask, wasnt above criticism. 

There is a point that something functionally happened and I say it was not being backed and was suspended.   After the SB, he changed in the media, not showing up for OTA all while his mom was going through cancer durring that season and SB.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2020, 06:29:28 PM »

He is definitely in the conversation as well.  Put them in any order you want, but my all-time top 5 is Rice, LT, Montana, Peyton and Brady.

And trust me, as someone who growing up stubbornly refused to concede that Montana was better than Elway, it hurts a little to put Montana in there and not Elway, but I like to think I'm a lot more sensible now, although I still have a ways to go... :P :P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2020, 07:01:55 AM »

He is definitely in the conversation as well.  Put them in any order you want, but my all-time top 5 is Rice, LT, Montana, Peyton and Brady.

And trust me, as someone who growing up stubbornly refused to concede that Montana was better than Elway, it hurts a little to put Montana in there and not Elway, but I like to think I'm a lot more sensible now, although I still have a ways to go... :P :P

That's not a bad list. 

I read an interesting article that posited that the best course of action for the Pats is... give Brady a FIVE YEAR deal.  That:
- locks him up beyond where even HE said he would stop playing, thereby showing the love/commitment;
- builds in the understanding that the Pats DO have to plan for the future, and allows them to do so without having to force out Brady;
- allows them to throw money at Tom without banging the cap too hard in Years 1 and 2, allowing them to fill out those positions that hurt them in 2019 (TE, O-line).

The premise of that article is that there are rumblings that Belichick figures that his best chance in 2020 is WITH Brady, not without.  I don't know how true that is, but it makes a lot of sense. They kept Josh, they are still built for that kind of offense that requires more QB than they are going to get right out of college (and don't have right now on the bench) and maybe even gives Belichick a time table of his own.    The only thing it DOESN'T answer (which is the one thing that I don't see as big an issue as some people do) is that "Belichick v. Brady" thing; neither one will really have an opportunity to "test the waters" without the other.  Personally, I think both of those guys are far too smart to ever think that one or maybe two seasons of forced separation will ever be a true test of their actual greatness.   The memory of Montana, Favre, even Peyton, etc. are too recent. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2020, 08:23:57 AM »

That's not a bad list. 

I read an interesting article that posited that the best course of action for the Pats is... give Brady a FIVE YEAR deal.  That:
- locks him up beyond where even HE said he would stop playing, thereby showing the love/commitment;
- builds in the understanding that the Pats DO have to plan for the future, and allows them to do so without having to force out Brady;
- allows them to throw money at Tom without banging the cap too hard in Years 1 and 2, allowing them to fill out those positions that hurt them in 2019 (TE, O-line).

The premise of that article is that there are rumblings that Belichick figures that his best chance in 2020 is WITH Brady, not without.  I don't know how true that is, but it makes a lot of sense. They kept Josh, they are still built for that kind of offense that requires more QB than they are going to get right out of college (and don't have right now on the bench) and maybe even gives Belichick a time table of his own.    The only thing it DOESN'T answer (which is the one thing that I don't see as big an issue as some people do) is that "Belichick v. Brady" thing; neither one will really have an opportunity to "test the waters" without the other.  Personally, I think both of those guys are far too smart to ever think that one or maybe two seasons of forced separation will ever be a true test of their actual greatness.   The memory of Montana, Favre, even Peyton, etc. are too recent.
I don't like it. They're just creating longer-term cap problems at time when a full rebuild might well be on the horizon. I'm looking for a more gradual transition. 

Something else to consider is that JMD won't be there forever. They're lucky to have him this year, and he's going to be a key component with their next QB. If they could bring in a Bridgewater, or even Brisset, they're going to need that creativity and coaching.
E.F. Benson

Offline T-ski

« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2020, 04:08:38 PM »
Will the draft still be a giant spectacle?  I’m leaning towards no.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2020, 10:29:10 AM »
Playoff field officially expanded to 14 teams.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2020, 10:48:53 AM »
Kinda weird having sports news to talk about.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2020, 02:18:16 PM »
Kinda weird having sports news to talk about.

I agree, although since the NFL starts in the fall, all of its offseason stuff that can be done in isolation is happening now so it makes sense that it’s the only league with news to report on.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2020, 04:02:15 PM »
Titans and 49ers have now said no to Tom Brady.

I can only imagine the pissy look he will have on his face all next season if he ends up staying with the Patriots at their price, which looks likely, unless he wants to risk going to a franchise that has been a mess for a while (Bucs or Chargers).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2020, 04:04:54 PM »
That is ridiculous fucking money they gave to Tannehill.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2020, 04:14:59 PM »
He just raised the bar for Dak, which was already way too high. :lol :lol

And looks like the new CBA was agreed on both sides.  Yee-haw.