Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 114375 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Brady on his way to his 193rd conference title game
« Reply #2065 on: January 20, 2021, 02:15:58 AM »
every once in a while I'd be stupid and get a 6 pack of Haffenreffer, the Green Death.
I would have guessed the "Green Death" title would go to Mickeys Big Mouth!

I was dumb with those as well. LOL
Mickey's is still my go to beer.  It's not high in alcohol percentage (unless you get Mickey's ice) and tastes good. I usually get the green 24oz cans.  I tend drink more of those when the Seahawks lose. Come to think of it, I drink more of those when they win too..  😄
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2066 on: January 20, 2021, 06:17:52 AM »
Hey want some more deep NFL analysis? Marcellius Wiley said Brady is more valuable to his team than Rodgers because he “activates the will of those around him”. He gets PAID to say Brady basically has Jedi mind powers (but for some reason those powers don’t always work). LOL at this hack job.

Despite the wealth of data available, sports fans today are dumber than they were 70 years ago. I can’t imagine some kids on the playground in the 50s arguing Mantle vs Mays and one saying “count the ringzzz” even though Mantle was in the World Series every year and Mays wasn’t.

Maybe, maybe not, but the wierd "hate" towards Mantle for HAVING all those rings was just as great as the hate towards Brady for having his.   ;)   

And it might be the sport; Johnny U. was the Brady of his day, and it's in part because that mofo WON. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2067 on: January 20, 2021, 06:19:36 AM »
Hey I was in on Def Leppard in 1981 and GnR in 1987!

You have to have cable first you old bastard. 

I have cable! Ass!

Boston Sports Tonight is on, but I'm listening to UFO, so I can't hear what they're saying.

I watched the Pens/Caps game tonight.

For some reason this made me spew coffee on my desk with laughter.  :) 

I've got to say, though, I'm sort of with TAC on this one.  I follow sports, and I don't know who those people are.   I don't know if it's old, or proud, or stubborn, but I'm not just listening to any Yahoo with a camera and a microphone posting videos to YouTube.   Other than Peter King, I always get the sense these people are looking to say something outrageous, rather than something insightful.  The real news is rarely "outrageous", and besides, I can come here for that!  :)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2068 on: January 20, 2021, 07:16:43 AM »
I can't help it if you two are sport plebeians fans.  :lol

I rib Tim but I get when life gets so busy that you don't have time for all the media.  Though he was on the Teams chat not even paying attention to us and watching a game on the TV. We saw it.  LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2069 on: January 20, 2021, 07:39:55 AM »

Mickey's is still my go to beer.  It's not high in alcohol percentage (unless you get Mickey's ice) and tastes good. I usually get the green 24oz cans.  I tend drink more of those when the Seahawks lose. Come to think of it, I drink more of those when they win too..  😄
I was like, who the hell still drinks Mickeys?  Then I saw Seahawks... :P

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2070 on: January 20, 2021, 07:43:00 AM »
Philip Rivers announces his retirement after 17 seasons. Talk about a quarterback who tried to do so much with so little. I stand by my opinion that had he stayed with the Giants or been taken by the Steelers he would have absolutely won a Lombardi. The Chargers always left at least one glaring weakness on the team, be it the running game, defense, special teams, or most notably, coaching, that made it so hard for Rivers to consistently win, yet through all of this, he often pushed the team further than they had any right going. This year he had a great Colts team around him, but it wasn’t meant to be as they ran into the brick wall that is the 2020 Buffalo Bills in the wildcard round. To me, Philip Rivers is just behind Dan Marino and Jim Kelly as the greatest modern QB to never win a Super Bowl, and all three are perfect examples of why it’s not fair to judge individual players for not winning a championship in the ultimate team sport. Even without the championship accolades, his legacy should still be intact as a great quarterback and a Chargers legend.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2071 on: January 20, 2021, 07:50:04 AM »
Philip Rivers announces his retirement after 17 seasons. Talk about a quarterback who tried to do so much with so little. I stand by my opinion that had he stayed with the Giants or been taken by the Steelers he would have absolutely won a Lombardi. The Chargers always left at least one glaring weakness on the team, be it the running game, defense, special teams, or most notably, coaching, that made it so hard for Rivers to consistently win, yet through all of this, he often pushed the team further than they had any right going. This year he had a great Colts team around him, but it wasn’t meant to be as they ran into the brick wall that is the 2020 Buffalo Bills in the wildcard round. To me, Philip Rivers is just behind Dan Marino and Jim Kelly as the greatest modern QB to never win a Super Bowl, and all three are perfect examples of why it’s not fair to judge individual players for not winning a championship in the ultimate team sport. Even without the championship accolades, his legacy should still be intact as a great quarterback and a Chargers legend.

I agree. Big fan here. Watching him play on one leg against the Pats in (whatever year that was) the playoffs was amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2072 on: January 20, 2021, 07:57:51 AM »

I agree. Big fan here. Watching him play on one leg against the Pats in (whatever year that was) the playoffs was amazing.

I was there.  2007 AFC Championship game.  Was such a tough, gritty QB. my attitude towards him changed after that game.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2073 on: January 20, 2021, 08:01:06 AM »
To me, Rivers was good, not great. Putting him in the same sentence with Marino and Kelly is questionable. I feel he was as much to blame for the Chargers failing every year as anyone else.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2074 on: January 20, 2021, 08:13:38 AM »
To me, Rivers was good, not great. Putting him in the same sentence with Marino and Kelly is questionable. I feel he was as much to blame for the Chargers failing every year as anyone else.

Yeah - I fall into this camp as well.

I will say though, he had the strangest throwing motion. Almost like he was throwing with baby arm.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2075 on: January 20, 2021, 09:01:20 AM »

Yeah - I fall into this camp as well.

I will say though, he had the strangest throwing motion. Almost like he was throwing with baby arm.

Like a shot put without the spinning.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2076 on: January 20, 2021, 09:07:22 AM »
I know some will disagree, but I would lean towards putting Rivers in the Hall of Fame.  No rings or All-Pro finishes hurt his case, but he was a top 6-7 QB for the majority of his career and is finishing top 5 in both passing touchdowns and passing yards.  I know, to some, rings the most when it comes to QB's, but they shouldn't count for everything.  Of the last 15+ years, the best QB's have obviously been Brady, P Manning, Rodgers and Brees, and you could easily argue that Rivers is the 5th best of that era.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2077 on: January 20, 2021, 09:10:30 AM »
He's on the cusp for me and I lean with those on the cusp to not get in.  Still a damn fine career.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2078 on: January 20, 2021, 09:19:01 AM »
I don't put Kelly in the same group as Marino and Rivers.  Four years of sustained excellence in Buffalo.   I have too many memories of Marino and Rivers barking and screaming at his teammates in the huddle as they fell apart yet again; 34 combined years of great personal stats but not a lot to show for it.  I don't think that it's 100% true that they lost consistently DESPITE Marino and Rivers.   That's my opinion, though, and I wasn't in any of those locker rooms through the years. 

I'm not at all saying they are bad, or they sucked; they put up some great numbers.   But when you're comparing two people with similar numbers you have to find differentiators, and at some point the "did he win?" is that differentiator.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2079 on: January 20, 2021, 09:42:46 AM »
Rivers won 56% of his game as an NFL starter; Marino won 61%.

So yeah, those guys won.  No, they didn't win the big game, but this isn't golf or tennis where one guy can do it all by himself.  It's a team sport, teams that are made of 53 guys.  Every generation, there is a great QB or two that just doesn't win the big one for whatever reason.  Marino and Kelly were those guys in the 80's and 90's. Rivers was that guy in the 21st century.  It happens.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2080 on: January 20, 2021, 10:08:38 AM »
Hey want some more deep NFL analysis? Marcellius Wiley said Brady is more valuable to his team than Rodgers because he “activates the will of those around him”. He gets PAID to say Brady basically has Jedi mind powers (but for some reason those powers don’t always work). LOL at this hack job.

Despite the wealth of data available, sports fans today are dumber than they were 70 years ago. I can’t imagine some kids on the playground in the 50s arguing Mantle vs Mays and one saying “count the ringzzz” even though Mantle was in the World Series every year and Mays wasn’t.

That's a horrible analogy.  "How many rings?" is a question that generally only gets asked about NBA players and NFL quarterbacks.

That doesn't mean that what Wiley said wasn't stupid, but if you want truly stupid analysis from a retired NFL player, check out Rodney Peete's radio show.

I also do not listen or watch any national sports shows. I used to listen to Rome but he is no longer on here, and his show is a shadow of his glory days. I do listen to local sports talk radio though, but that is as much for the personalities, and the local flavor/insight.

. . .

On the topic of football, I just read The Weeknd is doing the SB halftime show. Apparently he does music, or something?

The Weekend?  Is that a band?

I can't remember the last time I intentionally turned on ESPN when I wasn't in a hotel traveling.  SportsCenter used to be appointment viewing, but it now seems like an endless parade of pretty people on unnecessarily flashy sets, most of whom are poorly trained as journalists.  I've heard of Marcellus Wiley because he used to have a talk radio show with Max Kellerman that I would occasionally catch while in my car, but the Achoo guy I thought was an NHL player.  No idea who he is.  I used to listen to Jim Rome pretty religiously, but he hasn't been on the radio in SoCal for at least a decade.  I caught his TV show one day that I was off from work and it was awful.  He seems to have become a caricature of himself.  I occasionally listen to Dan Patrick on my morning commute, but that's only about 15 minutes these days, so I don't hear much.

I don't put Kelly in the same group as Marino and Rivers.  Four years of sustained excellence in Buffalo.   I have too many memories of Marino and Rivers barking and screaming at his teammates in the huddle as they fell apart yet again; 34 combined years of great personal stats but not a lot to show for it.  I don't think that it's 100% true that they lost consistently DESPITE Marino and Rivers.

Took me a second to understand what you were saying here.  I think I agree, although I think Marino was significantly better than Rivers.  Kelly was easily the best of the three.  Marino led his team to the playoffs in 10 of 17 seasons, winning at least one game in 7 of those 10 seasons, and that's all despite never having had receivers or running backs worth a damn.  Rivers was a good QB on a team that was relatively poorly managed and coached for most of his career, and he couldn't overcome that despite having had one of the greatest tight ends in NFL history and a HOF running back.  I wouldn't put Rivers in the HOF because he was never exceptional.  The Chargers never won because of him.  Someone's going to make the argument that he's top-X in passing yards, TDs, completions, etc., and how can you leave someone like that out of the HOF?  But he's the poster child of the 2000s QB who's protected as if they're playing touch football and throwing to receivers who cry for a pass interference call on nearly every play.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2081 on: January 20, 2021, 01:22:39 PM »
I sort of am having trouble with the "guys around him" idea.   Kelly was blessed with Thurman Munson Thomas, and Andre Reed his entire career.   Rivers had LaDainian Tomlinson and Antonio Gates.  Marino had Marks Clayton and Duper (I can't remember who his back was).

Brady?   He had Curtis Martin for two years.  He had Randy Moss for three.   I think that's the thing that separates Brady from the pack; with the exception of Gronk, he has no Jerry Rice.  He has no Thurman Munson.  He has no Marvin Harrison.   He's cycled, arguably, through at least four cycles of players, and STILL achieved excellence.  STILL won. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2082 on: January 20, 2021, 01:25:58 PM »
Brady never played with Curtis Martin.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2083 on: January 20, 2021, 01:30:03 PM »
Brady never played with Curtis Martin.
You're right; I had it backwards: he started with the Pats and went to the Jets (before Brady).  I thought it was the other way around.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2084 on: January 20, 2021, 01:31:10 PM »
I was heartbroken when he left for the Jets.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2085 on: January 20, 2021, 01:49:37 PM »
Back in '93 through '95, I had the good fortune to visit Denny LaFleur's home because of a friendship my then wife had with Denny's wife.  He was a LB on Central Michigan's 1974 Div. II championship team.  For 10+ years, he was the Chippewas LB coach.  I could visit with all sorts of 'hangers on' (like me) before or after the games.  Me and the ex could visit the LaFleur home and have  a beer or three, and then either go to our hotel room, or make the three hour drive back to Kalamazoo.  I gained so much insight on what took place behind the scenes, was welcomed by friends and family, as well as go outside and toss the ball around and play some very physical touch football with anyone who was around.

(males and females included)

Well, one of those youngsters was Matt LaFleur, who has been the head coach of the Packers for two years.  Matt was a CMU assistant in '04, as was Robert Saleh, the new head coach of the Jets. 

Still remember when Eric Fischer was drafted #1 out of CMU, I wore my jacket the following week in NYC, and all the comments that followed.

So....  if you want success in the NFL....     Fire Up, Chips!   ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2086 on: January 20, 2021, 02:03:28 PM »
Thurman freakin Thomas. He once lost his helmet during a Super Bowl game, missed a few plays and was never the same. I looked at my friends and said 'bitches, we are winning this one'!

I feel like Thurman never had his head right with ball when it came to the "big dance". (Same with Barry Sanders).

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2087 on: January 20, 2021, 02:27:58 PM »
As a Raven fan, and who has not read the last two pages....  let me wish all the survivors 'good luck' and I'll comment later on the prior games.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2088 on: January 20, 2021, 03:27:05 PM »
I sort of am having trouble with the "guys around him" idea.   Kelly was blessed with Thurman Munson Thomas, and Andre Reed his entire career.   Rivers had LaDainian Tomlinson and Antonio Gates.  Marino had Marks Clayton and Duper (I can't remember who his back was).

Among the luminaries who lined up in the backfield with Marino were Tony Nathan, Audra Franklin, Ron Davenport, Woody Bennett, Kenny Rogers, Garrett Limbrick, Sammie Smith, Bernie "Nobody Doesn't Like" Parmalee, Irving Spikes, James "Denim and Leather" Saxon, Keith Byars, Karim Abdul-Jabbar and Cecil Collins.  Seriously, I couldn't find anyone more notable.  And, while the Marks were good, the wide receiver list is only slightly more notable (an aging Nat Moore for a few years and O.J. McDuffie in the later years).

Brady?   He had Curtis Martin for two years.  He had Randy Moss for three.   I think that's the thing that separates Brady from the pack; with the exception of Gronk, he has no Jerry Rice.  He has no Thurman Munson.  He has no Marvin Harrison.   He's cycled, arguably, through at least four cycles of players, and STILL achieved excellence.  STILL won. 

I'd put guys like Deion Branch, Troy Brown, et al. on the same level as Duper and Clayton, and at least Brady had guys like Martin and Corey Dillon and Kevin Faulk.  Brady also had guys like Wes Welker, Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola.  At least there's an argument that Edelman is an HOF'er.

But I'm not sure why Brady's name got brought up.  No one's comparing Marino to Brady.  I thought the discussion was whether Philip Rivers was in the same class as Jim Kelly and Dan Marino.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2089 on: January 20, 2021, 03:28:39 PM »
  At least there's an argument that Edelman is an HOF'er.

There is and I'd support it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2090 on: January 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM »
I love Teoy Brown but he's not at the level as Duper.

Duper had 2200 more yards, 25 more TD's and played 40 less games.

I agree about Edelman.   He's damn close but how many slot receivers get into the Hall?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2091 on: January 20, 2021, 05:37:27 PM »
Edelman has no realistic shot at the Hall of Fame, nor should he.  He should be thanking Tom Brady for tricking some people into thinking otherwise.  Sure, some thought it after the last SB, but as time passes, his weak resume will become more and more of a hindrance.  A lot of great postseason catches, yes, but you need more than that.  If you had to name the best 20 WR's of the 21st century, he wouldn't be on the list.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2092 on: January 20, 2021, 05:42:20 PM »
He should be. You seem smart enough to not fall for the guy that runs a million miles downfield and catch a deep pass. But you're falling for it.

Edelman made clutch catch after clutch catch his entire career with stones of steel. When you needed a catch, Edelman came through.

Stats are for geeks, man.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2093 on: January 20, 2021, 05:48:07 PM »
Stats don't mean everything, but being just a postseason performer doesn't either.  Put Edelman in the Patriots ring of honor for sure (assuming they have one, which I am sure they do), but not the pro football Hall of Fame.  The Hall of Fame should be reserved for the best of the best, and Julian Edelman doesn't pass the sniff test. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2094 on: January 20, 2021, 05:48:53 PM »
You can't smell, then.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2095 on: January 20, 2021, 05:49:25 PM »
I have had a stuffy nose off and on for over a week (not COVID!!), so you never know.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. future Hall of Famer Philip Rivers retires
« Reply #2096 on: January 20, 2021, 05:51:24 PM »
 ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2097 on: January 20, 2021, 05:55:30 PM »
To circle back to Rivers for a minute, he strikes me as a guy who probably doesn't care if he makes the Hall of Fame or not.  Sure, he'd love it if he made it, but if he doesn't, I don't think he'll throw an epic fit about it like some have (see: Terrell "D-Bag" Owens).  I remember hating him when he was first in the league, because he and LT2 made the Broncos their personal bitch for years and his trash talk irked me at first, but over time I grew to really like him.  His trash talk was always in good fun and he just seemed like a guy who loved playing the game and having fun with it.  He will be missed.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2098 on: January 20, 2021, 09:03:14 PM »
SportsCenter used to be appointment viewing, but it now seems like an endless parade of pretty people on unnecessarily flashy sets, most of whom are poorly trained as journalists. 

I used to listen to Jim Rome pretty religiously, but he hasn't been on the radio in SoCal for at least a decade.  I caught his TV show one day that I was off from work and it was awful.  He seems to have become a caricature of himself. 

No kidding about SC, though honestly I haven't watched it in years. But not long ago enough to not see the direction it was headed.

I watched a bit of Rome's simulcast when it started because at the time I was working from home. His show had long since changed when that premiered. Isn't he based in SoCal? Is he in NYC now? Still, he is a SoCal guy, that's where he got started and built his empire. How can he not be on the radio there? I imagine when he went to CBS Sports they informed him he could no longer discuss Bert and Ernie being gay, or Larry Brown's crank.

Re: Rivers and the HoF, I tend to be a less is more guy when it comes to Halls of Fame. If you have a make a convincing case for someone to get in, they do not belong in. It's not the "Hall of Very Good for an Extended Period" or "Hall of Amassed a Crazy Number of Stats Due to Longevity." The person who is going to F up this conversation for QBs for the next 20 years is Eli.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2099 on: January 20, 2021, 10:55:36 PM »
I've been a big Edelman fan since I watched him play on O, D, and ST, and make a key stop on Anquon Bolden late in the AFC championship game. I think he was cut each of the next two years and resigned, before eventually becoming invaluable. Dude's the textbook Patriots player. He can do everything, and he's always clutch. He's not a Hall of Famer, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson