Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 114362 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Brady on his way to his 193rd conference title game
« Reply #1995 on: January 18, 2021, 07:21:51 AM »
You have to capitalize on their mistake and Tampa did.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1996 on: January 18, 2021, 08:16:38 AM »
It continues to be amazing how much luck Brady has had in addition to his own talent and effort. The Bucs scored 0 touchdowns on the 8 drives that began in their own territory, but got gifted 4 turnovers and 3 short fields. Feel bad for Saints fans and Brees, he didn't deserve to go out like this.

How is that luck for Brady?  Everyone has their job, and he does his as well as anyone to ever play the game.   It's not luck that he didn't turn the ball over, and it's not luck that he took advantage of the turnovers his teammates got on defense.  Great players make everyone around them better, on both sides of the ball.

To reduce 9 Super Bowl appearances in 20 years to "luck" is just... insulting.  I'm not sure at that point what he would have to do to get recognized as the greatest of all time as opposed to "lucky".
I would never reduce his career to luck. He's the GOAT. I would say he's had more than his fair of good fortune this year, though, including last night. And while that normally applies to everybody, what is the number one focus of all of the coverage going to be now? Tom Brady. And in this case Tom Brady vs Aaron Rodgers. The story from last night should be an opportunistic D and Brees's inability to play. It won't, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1997 on: January 18, 2021, 11:19:08 AM »
I knew the Rams weren't good enough.  ::)  Go Bills and Pack I guess.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1998 on: January 18, 2021, 11:20:46 AM »
I knew the Rams weren't good enough.  ::)  Go Bills and Pack I guess.

I want whoever comes out of the AFC to win the Super Bowl, but I'd MUCH prefer the Bills.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1999 on: January 18, 2021, 11:32:04 AM »
I don't know why, but I am just not impressed with Tampa as I am with Green Bay. And if P-Diddy Mahomes is hurt then I think Buffalo can take KC. My sentimental pick to win it all is Buffalo. They've got great fans.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2000 on: January 18, 2021, 11:36:04 AM »
I don't know why, but I am just not impressed with Tampa as I am with Green Bay. And if P-Diddy Mahomes is hurt then I think Buffalo can take KC. My sentimental pick to win it all is Buffalo. They've got great fans.
Hard not to root for the Bills!  I think GB is the top team ATM, especially if Mahomes doesn't clear the protocol.

Rankings..

1. GB
2. KC - with Mahomes
3. Bills
4. Bucs

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2001 on: January 18, 2021, 11:40:11 AM »
Hard not to root for the Bills!  I think GB is the top team ATM, especially if Mahomes doesn't clear the protocol.

Rankings..

1. GB
2. KC - with Mahomes
3. Bills
4. Bucs

Is Mahomes really in protocol? He technically didn't concuss (correct me if I wrong). Also, don't you think the league would make an exception for the sake of ratings?

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #2002 on: January 18, 2021, 12:05:47 PM »
You honesty don’t think he was concussed? When he got up he didn’t know what way was up.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2003 on: January 18, 2021, 12:33:55 PM »
You honesty don’t think he was concussed? When he got up he didn’t know what way was up.

Oh I agree with that but he didn't have a violent head collision. They're saying he lost oxygen - choked out? Don't get me wrong, it was disturbing to watch but was he really concussed because it could affect his ability to go on Sunday?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2004 on: January 18, 2021, 01:13:14 PM »

Oh I agree with that but he didn't have a violent head collision. They're saying he lost oxygen - choked out? Don't get me wrong, it was disturbing to watch but was he really concussed because it could affect his ability to go on Sunday?

I don't know about the "choked out", but there are something like six different kinds of concussions that all trigger the protocol, and not all need a direct blow to the head.  That was one of the revelations from the last couple years of research. 

Although I initially thought it was an ankle - he injured his foot/toe/ankle earlier in the game - it was pretty clear he didn't know whether he was receiving the Rodgers rate or the Patrick rate at that moment in time.   Concussions heal, but unlike a rib injury (Hi, Drew!) you can't really rush the return anymore.  There have been guys that cleared protocol in hours (like, 24, 48), days, weeks, or even (Dale Earnhardt, Jr.) months.  I don't at all expect him to be "weeks, or even months", but I wouldn't GUARANTEE Sunday.  It's likely, but not guaranteed.

And while I'm as prone to conspiracy thinking as anyone else, I think the idea that somehow the league gets to override the protocol is magical thinking.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2005 on: January 18, 2021, 01:14:40 PM »
He clearly looked like a man that got his bell rung. I just didn't see any sort of violent collision with his noggin. Whereas a blow to the brachial nexus will have the same effect. No brain trauma, but you'll certainly be staggering and stumbling about for a few minutes. He was collared pretty good when he came down, which is why I assumed that's what actually happened. I was honestly surprised when they ruled him out.

edit: And while I was typing that the folks at CBS were typing the same thing.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tweaked-nerve-put-chiefs-patrick-mahomes-in-concussion-protocol-entering-afc-championship-game-per-report/
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2006 on: January 18, 2021, 02:22:44 PM »

Rankings..

1. GB
2. KC - with Mahomes
3. Bills
4. Bucs

Is Mahomes really in protocol? He technically didn't concuss (correct me if I wrong). Also, don't you think the league would make an exception for the sake of ratings?

Yes, he is in protocol.  Oh, you mean put the highest paid player in the league in harms way to get better ratings?  Are you kidding?  :facepalm:

He received a helmet to the back of his helmet.  Of course he was concussed.  He also got the wind knocked out of him.  He most likely will not play Sunday.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2007 on: January 18, 2021, 02:38:25 PM »
He received a helmet to the back of his helmet. Of course he was concussed.  He also got the wind knocked out of him.  He most likely will not play Sunday.
No he didn't. Wilson's helmet barely grazed his, and his head was cradled so it didn't hit the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mrsM9y8OTA
E.F. Benson

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2008 on: January 18, 2021, 02:47:40 PM »
Yeah - Mahomes did not get his head knocked around. From what I have learned, if a player gets up woozy from a play, they automatically get put in concussion protocol which is crazy because he did not take a blow to the head.

That's why I mentioned that the league would make an exception for the highest paid and most popular player in the league.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2009 on: January 18, 2021, 02:54:21 PM »
And now, suddenly, I'm not so sure. I definitely don't see any specific hard impact, but watching it in slo-mo he very clearly postures, which does suggest brain trauma. I didn't catch that until a Dr on youtube pointed it out, but it's plain as day. His left leg is stiff as a board for a second after he goes down, and that spells concussion. Maybe there was enough deceleration during the tackle for his brain to bounce off the front of his skull even without contact.

Also, I don't know if the posturing rules out the neck stinger theory. The brain might react the same way to a knockout blow as it does a traditional concussion. That's beyond my pay grade.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2010 on: January 18, 2021, 03:03:34 PM »
He received a helmet to the back of his helmet. Of course he was concussed.  He also got the wind knocked out of him.  He most likely will not play Sunday.
No he didn't. Wilson's helmet barely grazed his, and his head was cradled so it didn't hit the ground.

Ok, you're right about the back of the helmet, but watch the video more closely.  His face mask comes down on top of the ball.  That's what caused the concussion.

"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2011 on: January 18, 2021, 03:51:11 PM »

Ok, you're right about the back of the helmet, but watch the video more closely.  His face mask comes down on top of the ball.  That's what caused the concussion.
Maybe. Thought it seems like the ball would have absorbed a lot of the energy, though. His people are saying neck stinger, and I still think that's a good possibility. At this point I really don't know.
E.F. Benson

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2012 on: January 18, 2021, 03:57:12 PM »
I think there's a 90% chance he clears the concussion protocol before Sunday, whether he should or not.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2013 on: January 18, 2021, 04:08:00 PM »
I think there's a 90% chance he clears the concussion protocol before Sunday, whether he should or not.

Why would you think that?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2014 on: January 18, 2021, 05:37:36 PM »
And bear in mind, it's the playoffs.  You have to balance the psyche of the team versus the psychological warfare with the Bills (you want the Bills scheming for Henne (because it's easier for the Bills to scheme for Mahomes and adjust to Henne rather than the other way around), so all information is suspect.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2015 on: January 18, 2021, 06:39:02 PM »
If the Bills are dumb enough to scheme for Henne they need to just forfeit the game and go play golf and knock back Stroh's on Sunday.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2016 on: January 18, 2021, 06:47:27 PM »
If the Bills are dumb enough to scheme for Henne they need to just forfeit the game and go play golf and knock back Stroh's on Sunday.
Ewww, Stroh's. Quite possibly the worst beer in the world.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2017 on: January 18, 2021, 07:43:58 PM »
Sir, this commercial seems to say otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gOxgZCOI1c
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2018 on: January 18, 2021, 09:19:18 PM »
My grandfather drank Schlitz. My best friend's dad growing up drank Schaefer. My old man was a Bud drinker. His friends were all Coors light. Miller light was ubiquitous. When I was a young teenager my older teenaged friends would always score us Carling Black label because of the slightly higher ABV. When my brother scored cheep beer it was the Bull for its even slightly higher ABV. In my early 20s MGD was all the rage. Nowadays a good friend is still quite fond of Miller High Life. Hell, I drink Mexican beer. Throughout my life I've been exposed to dozens of cheap beers by dozens of people. The one thing every one of them was certain about was that Stroh's is fucking piss.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2019 on: January 18, 2021, 09:36:07 PM »
HAHAHA, that's a memory parade right there!  Surprisingly, it was a very similar breakdown up here in the Northeast.

My dad and grandfather and the uncles rotated between the same three: Shlitz, Schaeffer ("the one beer to have when you're having more than one!") and Black Label, though more the latter two.

I drank Miller High Life or Miller Lite when in high school and college and I had the choice; there was a lot of Budweiser drank as a way of compromise.  Though you could get a case of Shaeffer bar bottles for like $8, at the campus liquor store, which was a good price then.

Right now I'll choose between Guiness, Miller High Life and Blue Moon.

Never Stroh's.   :)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2020 on: January 18, 2021, 09:54:26 PM »
My grandfather drank Schlitz. My best friend's dad growing up drank Schaefer. My old man was a Bud drinker. His friends were all Coors light. Miller light was ubiquitous. When I was a young teenager my older teenaged friends would always score us Carling Black label because of the slightly higher ABV. When my brother scored cheep beer it was the Bull for its even slightly higher ABV. In my early 20s MGD was all the rage. Nowadays a good friend is still quite fond of Miller High Life. Hell, I drink Mexican beer. Throughout my life I've been exposed to dozens of cheap beers by dozens of people. The one thing every one of them was certain about was that Stroh's is fucking piss.  :lol
There's the more elegant explanation I was looking for  :tup

Hammer meet nail.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2021 on: January 19, 2021, 06:41:19 AM »
We put down a lot of Keystone in college. And Busch. Both fucking nasty. But never Stroh's. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2022 on: January 19, 2021, 07:07:14 AM »

Why would you think that?
Because the team (and Mahomes) will prioritize winning over his long term health (unless he's still really woozy in a few days). And the league will be happy with the increased ratings and won't ask questions.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2023 on: January 19, 2021, 07:32:30 AM »
He isn't cleared by team officials though. Those involved are separate from the team so the team has no say. 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2024 on: January 19, 2021, 07:38:59 AM »
We put down a lot of Keystone in college. And Busch. Both fucking nasty. But never Stroh's. ;D
In my early Navy days I was already on the import bandwagon....  Lowenbrau  :metal

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2025 on: January 19, 2021, 09:39:09 AM »

LOL!

Back in the day, MGD was my beer of choice, but I was known to knock back a Schaefer or two.  Hell...I think we once tore through a 12-pack of "Beer" (the plain wrap stuff from the grocery store).

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2026 on: January 19, 2021, 09:46:31 AM »
I was a Michelob teen and every once in a while I'd be stupid and get a 6 pack of Haffenreffer, the Green Death.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2027 on: January 19, 2021, 12:41:04 PM »
OMG that Stroh's commercial is like the most generic beer commercial ever.  I remember the dog Alex from those commercials.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2028 on: January 19, 2021, 01:13:55 PM »
every once in a while I'd be stupid and get a 6 pack of Haffenreffer, the Green Death.
I would have guessed the "Green Death" title would go to Mickeys Big Mouth!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2029 on: January 19, 2021, 01:18:11 PM »
every once in a while I'd be stupid and get a 6 pack of Haffenreffer, the Green Death.
I would have guessed the "Green Death" title would go to Mickeys Big Mouth!

LOL!