Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 113920 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Playoffs ready to rock (with no Giants)
« Reply #1960 on: January 17, 2021, 04:06:24 PM »
Hell of a call on 4th down and how they made it look like they were trying to draw them offsides.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1961 on: January 17, 2021, 04:06:48 PM »
My god, the balls on Andy Reid must have their own moons.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1962 on: January 17, 2021, 04:06:51 PM »
Great game. Kansas City proved they’re more than just Patrick Mahomes, and Cleveland should be proud of what they accomplished this season.

And now, on to the most stressful game of the season.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1963 on: January 17, 2021, 04:13:07 PM »
Gutsy call, wow

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1964 on: January 17, 2021, 04:19:12 PM »

No kidding.

It's all relative, and I'm a big fan of Stefanski, but relatively speaking, he got out coached in that fourth quarter.   His team blew two timeouts, gave Henne the out to the left on that scramble (they loaded the right side on that play), and that last play was not something that the Chiefs have never done before.  Great job all told, and this is more compliment to Reid than dig on Kevin.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1965 on: January 17, 2021, 04:22:10 PM »
Yeah, those 2 timeouts were important. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1966 on: January 17, 2021, 04:24:56 PM »
Yeah - good for the Chiefs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1967 on: January 17, 2021, 04:30:12 PM »
Cleveland should be proud of what they accomplished this season.

Yes agreed, and there's lots to take from this game, good and bad, that should help them next year.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1968 on: January 17, 2021, 04:37:42 PM »
Gutsy job by the Chiefs to hang on and win that game.

Regarding the timeouts, I never get the coaches who blow them early in the half.  In the second half especially, you have to save them all for the end for instances like that.  I remember Jimmy Johnson on The Herd once saying that no one was allowed to call a timeout except him.  No other coaches, no players on the field, only him. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1969 on: January 17, 2021, 04:46:27 PM »
And that, kids, is why you don't try to blow up kick returners. Great for highlight films. Terrible football.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1970 on: January 17, 2021, 04:50:34 PM »

:lol Awesome. Reid has gotten Mahomes seriously injured twice now on running plays. Since he’s statistically the greatest passer ever so far, maybe let him THROW.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1971 on: January 17, 2021, 04:59:17 PM »
And that, kids, is why you don't try to blow up kick returners. Great for highlight films. Terrible football.

Looking eerily like a 3 peat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1972 on: January 17, 2021, 05:33:29 PM »

:lol Awesome. Reid has gotten Mahomes seriously injured twice now on running plays. Since he’s statistically the greatest passer ever so far, maybe let him THROW.

So... QB Rating is the only measure we're going to use?   Let's see:

Yards (Career): Brees
Yards (Season): Manning (Mahomes not in top five)
TDs (Career): Brady
TDs (Season): Manning (Mahomes tied for second with Brady)
Completion % (Career): Watson (Mahomes tied for fifth)
Completion % (Season): Brees (Mahomes not in top 35)
QB Rating (Career): Mahomes
QB Rating (Season): Rodgers (Mahomes not in top ten)
Wins (Career): Brady
SP Wins (Career): Brady

Seeing as 8 of the top 10 (and 14 of the top 20) career leaders in QBR are active, and only one of the top ten (and three of the top 20) has made the NFL Hall Of Fame, mind if I disagree with that?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1973 on: January 17, 2021, 05:37:44 PM »
I missed a lot of chatter earlier on the Browns/Chiefs game.  I wondered about that helmet to helmet thing before they went to commercial and before either of the announcers mentioned it.  That's the problem with rules like that - it's unevenly enforced.  That sort of thing HAS TO be reviewable.  The touchback rule is dumb as fuck, but it's been that way for a long time.  It ought to be changed, but not because of this incident.

Not saying the outcome of the game would have changed (the Browns defense was shitty at the end), but it would have been nice to have seen the rest of the game with a proper call having been made.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1974 on: January 17, 2021, 05:42:56 PM »
This game feels over.  The Bucs took the Saints best shot early, turned an INT into an easy TD, and Brees looks cooked. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1975 on: January 17, 2021, 05:45:55 PM »
Haha, it took getting Brees out of the game for the Saints offense to hit a big play.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1976 on: January 17, 2021, 05:49:16 PM »
I missed a lot of chatter earlier on the Browns/Chiefs game.  I wondered about that helmet to helmet thing before they went to commercial and before either of the announcers mentioned it.  That's the problem with rules like that - it's unevenly enforced.  That sort of thing HAS TO be reviewable.  The touchback rule is dumb as fuck, but it's been that way for a long time.  It ought to be changed, but not because of this incident.

Not saying the outcome of the game would have changed (the Browns defense was shitty at the end), but it would have been nice to have seen the rest of the game with a proper call having been made.
I don't have a problem with the touchback rule. Like you said, it's been that way forever. I don't have a problem with not reviewing penalties, either. Let the refs call it. My problem is that "scoring plays" should be subject to a booth review, either way. As it stands, it's only reviewed if it's called a TD. We've seen referees err on the TD side plenty of times for that reason. It's the safe call as there's an added layer of protection. Reviewing that play would have allowed them to call the penalty. In this case the refs got it right, but considering how close it was a review would have been reasonable.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1977 on: January 17, 2021, 06:04:44 PM »
Neither QB looks good so far, but at least Brady can throw it more than 10 yards and not have it looked like a wounded duck. Ugly game.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1978 on: January 17, 2021, 07:18:05 PM »
If either of these offenses play like this next week the Packers are going to have a field day
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1979 on: January 17, 2021, 07:34:15 PM »
If I am a Saint, I am livid with Sean Payton for not designing more plays for Winston this week.  It is clear as day that Brees is extremely limited, yet Payton keeps running their offense where it feels like even getting a 1st down takes major effort.  Bucs have not played well today, but they have taken advantage of every mistake the Saints have made and deserve this win. 

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1980 on: January 17, 2021, 07:38:06 PM »
I have an acquaintance from high school who is now an nfl analyst and he said on Twitter how each of their offenses look antiquated compared to GB’s.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1981 on: January 17, 2021, 07:39:03 PM »
LOL at Brees. This game is so bad, neither team wants to win. Bress is like, ok fine, here have one more turnover.  :biggrin:

I'm happy the Bucs will win they at least get the closest they've been to the Superbowl since they last won it. They don't stand a chance against the Packers.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1982 on: January 17, 2021, 07:39:58 PM »
I guess Payton is more concerned with letting Brees finish his career out with a loss tonight than giving the team a chance to win.  Maybe Winston would immediately throw a pick-6, but you need 10 points in four minutes and you are leaving in a QB who can barely throw the ball accurately 10 yards down the field.  Payton shit the bed big time today.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1983 on: January 17, 2021, 07:43:34 PM »
I like how my reply could be referring to either of the last two INTs.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1984 on: January 17, 2021, 07:44:40 PM »
Payton shit the bed big time today.

He's the most overrated coach in the league. I've been saying that here for years.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1985 on: January 17, 2021, 07:50:00 PM »
Payton shit the bed big time today.

He's the most overrated coach in the league. I've been saying that here for years.

I don't disagree.  He had Drew Brees for a decade and a half and only made it to one Super Bowl.  Yeah, they had some bad luck and brutal losses, but results are results.  1-3 in his last four playoff games, all home games, but hey at least that one win was against Mitchell Trubisky.  :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Brady on his way to his 193rd conference title game
« Reply #1986 on: January 17, 2021, 07:54:41 PM »
I did my stats on it a couple of years ago. At that point the two averaged a 9-7 record together. Yes the last two years since have been much better.

One SB.

Only 3 Conference Championship games.

Personally I like Brees. But Payton is a douche. He's had a HOF QB and has done jack shit with him.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1987 on: January 17, 2021, 07:55:49 PM »
I guess I like the Packers now?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1988 on: January 17, 2021, 07:57:39 PM »
Yeah, Brees is a class act and it sucks to see him go out like this, but it rarely ends well for the legends.  Dan Marino went out with a 62-7 loss to the Jaguars.  Most don't get the John Elway or Peyton Manning ending.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1989 on: January 17, 2021, 08:22:56 PM »
If coaches REALLY were coaching to win and win only, Brees would have been replaced. Then again I never saw Belichick take Brady out no matter how poorly he played. Can’t mess with the brand I guess.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1990 on: January 17, 2021, 09:17:37 PM »
Man, of all the top echelon QB/coach duos in NFL history to have won one or fewer titles together, I can't think of any that pissed away nearly as many postseason opportunities with more talent than Brees and Payton. They literally only won more than one playoff game in a season once or basically twice if you count the 2018 fuckover which in no realistic way should ever be counted as a loss for them. 9 playoff appearances with only 3 times advancing to so much as the NFC CG and only 1 SB appearance.

And yes, Payton is dogshit. Absolute failure at game planning in the postseason.  If we were able to have the regular season Saints play a game against the playoff Saints, regular season Saints would win by at least 20 points.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1991 on: January 18, 2021, 06:15:16 AM »
It continues to be amazing how much luck Brady has had in addition to his own talent and effort. The Bucs scored 0 touchdowns on the 8 drives that began in their own territory, but got gifted 4 turnovers and 3 short fields. Feel bad for Saints fans and Brees, he didn't deserve to go out like this.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1992 on: January 18, 2021, 06:43:46 AM »
I feel bad for being enough of a rube to not abandon the NFL altogether after the 2018 fuckjob. But I do at least feel somewhat better blaming myself cuz it at least keeps my conscious of the reality that I can and probably will finally move on. I think part of me couldn't let go as long as we had Brees but even this season was conflicting for me after he more or less aligned himself with the narrative that kneeling for the flag somehow is an intentional slight to the troops.

Just give me NBA and occasional bandwagoning for LSU when they win their occasional titles.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1993 on: January 18, 2021, 06:55:43 AM »
If coaches REALLY were coaching to win and win only, Brees would have been replaced. Then again I never saw Belichick take Brady out no matter how poorly he played. Can’t mess with the brand I guess.

Not sure why you jump to something as cynical as "brand"; there's wisdom in keeping with guys like that that doesn't apply to young kids who could use a break or breather.   They often bring things to the game besides "laser pass" or "sweet scramble to the right".   If I had Brees or Brady, and there weren't health issues (which may actually be the case with Brees), I'm going down with my best.  Your logic might have led to Brady riding the pine in the second half of that Falcons game.  I know Sean Payton is high on Jameis Winston, but if I'm at the doorstep to the NFC Championship, I want someone like Brees in charge of my ship. 

I get that I'm not an NFL coach, and for a reason, but I don't think this is an outrageous or controversial opinion.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1994 on: January 18, 2021, 07:04:21 AM »
It continues to be amazing how much luck Brady has had in addition to his own talent and effort. The Bucs scored 0 touchdowns on the 8 drives that began in their own territory, but got gifted 4 turnovers and 3 short fields. Feel bad for Saints fans and Brees, he didn't deserve to go out like this.

How is that luck for Brady?  Everyone has their job, and he does his as well as anyone to ever play the game.   It's not luck that he didn't turn the ball over, and it's not luck that he took advantage of the turnovers his teammates got on defense.  Great players make everyone around them better, on both sides of the ball.

To reduce 9 Super Bowl appearances in 20 years to "luck" is just... insulting.  I'm not sure at that point what he would have to do to get recognized as the greatest of all time as opposed to "lucky".